Author Topic: Two AtB questions  (Read 832 times)

John_Hawk

• Sergeant
Two AtB questions
« on: 16 May 2020, 10:31:48 »
I was assigned my second scenario today, and it was a Chase(defend) scenario.  I'm not sure I was clear on the mission objectives. Can someone tell me if I got it right?

As I interpreted it, I was being pursued by enemy forces, so my mission was to run like the wind toward the opposite end of the map.  Was this correct?  I ask this, because a number of the enemy 'mechs reached the far end of the map first, and instead of attempting to prevent my escape, they simply fled.  This may just be how the AI handles things to keep it moving in the right direction, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't supposed to be the hunter, instead of the hunted.

The second thing had to do with accepting the mission.  The mission was assigned to my medium lance.  On the day of the mission, I could not start the mission.  I went to the TO&E, assigned the medium lance, and now I could start.

When I went over to MM, the medium lance (the only one of my lances on the field) was not to deploy until round 4.  So it seems like they were being treated like reinforcements.

It seems like something got messed up, as if I understand it correctly, when the day of the mission arrives, the AI assigned unit (in this case, my medium lance) should have been ready to go, and I should have been able to hit start, without needing to add them from the TO&E.  Is that right?

There was one other variable that might have affected this -- prior to the mission, one fo the 'mechs in the lance had had its gyro shot out, and was waiting a replacement part, so the full lance was not available for the mission on the assigned date.  I'm not sure if that would play a role or not, but I thought it might be a valuable data point, so I thought I'd share.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!

Reglor

• Private
Re: Two AtB questions
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2020, 10:54:04 »
In Chase (defend) you have it backwards.  You are running down the enemy and they are trying to get away.

I think your analysis of why your lance was not auto deployed seems right and matches my experience.  As far a your unit not deploying till round 4, look at the enemy units.  Units in chase deploy based on their speed, with the fastest units deploying first and working their way down, slower and slower units deploying.

John_Hawk

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2020, 12:01:11 »
Thanks!  I think that makes sense.  Does the (defend) tag on that seem backwards, or am I just misunderstanding it?

pfarland

• Captain
  • Star Captain Farland - 'Forever Faithful'
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2020, 13:13:14 »
Thanks!  I think that makes sense.  Does the (defend) tag on that seem backwards, or am I just misunderstanding it?

Think of it more in terms of a military engagement. Your Lance was on defensive patrol and an enemy unit either penetrated your lines and you're trying to stop them or the unit was exiting from your rear and you are trying to stop them.
Rule number 4 of product design*: "The concept of 'Intended Use' never survives initial contact with the end user." - Feign

"It should come to no surprise that this forum loves solving problems with war crimes. " - SteelRaven

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2020, 14:08:26 »
I think the logic is that the defender controls the battlefield. Which the chasing side does in a chase scenario.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Rince Wind

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2020, 16:02:50 »
I always interpreted it as chasing them from the land I defend, so I am the defender.
In a Chase (attack) my lance was on patrol in enemy lands (so they were being aggressive) and they get chased away by a stronger force.