Author Topic: Virtual Record Sheet Android App  (Read 10595 times)

Dragon41673

• Captain
    • Aries Games & Miniatures
Re: Virtual Record Sheet Android App
« Reply #30 on: 02 July 2018, 19:16:06 »
Yes...I can see the SD card no matter what  I'm in except M_S

Here's a few screen shots

One shows the menu on the top right, one shows "about" when I click on the menu, and the other shows the pop-up when I click on the help question mark. No way to select the external SD card now.
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures

OldTimer

• Recruit
« Reply #31 on: 02 July 2018, 19:58:10 »
Oh!  Try going into the menu after clicking the large Plus button - when you are viewing your files.  Here's what I mean:

Geont

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: 03 July 2018, 01:54:55 »
That's... odd.. I didn't modify anything to do with file selection.  In fact that whole screen is a pre made system by Google called the Storage Access Framework - I don't think I could modify it even if I wanted to (for example I wanted to filter out only MTF files, but I can't, there's no option for that)

I could look into this SAF filtering problem next week. I am sure there is some way to filter MTF files.
Born in Czechoslovakia and living in Czechia (or Czech Republic).

Fan of FWL

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 03 July 2018, 05:56:04 »
Oh!  Try going into the menu after clicking the large Plus button - when you are viewing your files.  Here's what I mean:

That works on my phone, which is Android 8...but the tablet is stuck at Android 4.4.2 which doesn't allow that menu option to come up.

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #34 on: 03 July 2018, 06:28:29 »
Works on my phone, but not available for my fire.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

OldTimer

• Recruit
« Reply #35 on: 03 July 2018, 08:02:46 »
I could look into this SAF filtering problem next week. I am sure there is some way to filter MTF files.
That'd be great!  Got an exam this week so my times limited, but if you find a solution I can definitely add it.

That works on my phone, which is Android 8...but the tablet is stuck at Android 4.4.2 which doesn't allow that menu option to come up.
Think I figured it out for Android 4.4:
1) Tap on the giant Plus button
2) Tap on the 3 dots to open the menu
3) Choose Settings
4) Tap on "Display advanced devices" then tap on Settings again to go back.
5) The SD Card should now be viewable in the menu (tap on the top left corner to open the list of devices)

Right.. Amazon Fire doesn't have access to the Google Play store, right?  Let me see what the easiest way to get around that is.  I'll see whats involved in uploading it to the Amazon store (never done that)

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 03 July 2018, 13:12:40 »
Nope...that didn't work either. Maybe a limitation of this version of Android?

OldTimer

• Recruit
« Reply #37 on: 03 July 2018, 15:15:23 »
Well this is just weird.  I knew KitKat had issues, but.. this is really weird:
- Created an emulator running KitKat on a "phone" style device.  Doing those steps I can see the SD Card.
- Created an emulator running KitKat on a "tablet" style device.  Doing those steps I DO NOT see the SD Card.   :o

I've been googling for an hour and haven't found anything at all really on this.  As much as I hate to say it, I'm going to have to say it just won't work for now.  If I find anything that fixes this I will let you know.  Sorry Dragon. :( 

Edit:  Submitted the app to the Amazon App store, will see what happens.. waiting on approval from Amazon right now.

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 03 July 2018, 18:16:54 »
Well this is just weird.  I knew KitKat had issues, but.. this is really weird:
- Created an emulator running KitKat on a "phone" style device.  Doing those steps I can see the SD Card.
- Created an emulator running KitKat on a "tablet" style device.  Doing those steps I DO NOT see the SD Card.   :o

I've been googling for an hour and haven't found anything at all really on this.  As much as I hate to say it, I'm going to have to say it just won't work for now.  If I find anything that fixes this I will let you know.  Sorry Dragon. :( 

Edit:  Submitted the app to the Amazon App store, will see what happens.. waiting on approval from Amazon right now.

No problem Old Timer...I appreciate you looking in to it as much as you did. I know the Tablet is old, but the darn thing won't die! LOL

OldTimer

• Recruit
« Reply #39 on: 03 July 2018, 18:40:40 »
Now available on the Amazon store so should work with your Fire tablet - let me know how it goes if you get a chance to test it:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F7Z3PW4/ref=sr_1_1?s=mobile-apps&ie=UTF8&qid=1530661218&sr=1-1

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 21 July 2018, 14:42:55 »
Old Timer...new feature request.

On the app for damage of armor, how about a reset button?

As it stands right now, you have to long press each armor area to reset the armor to full. Having a reset option for the whole sheet (or just the screen you are on) would be nice otherwise it takes a long time to reset units you would use frequently.

Granted you could reload the sheet...but that may detract people as well.

OldTimer

• Recruit
« Reply #41 on: 22 July 2018, 14:44:43 »
Was thinking on this, and I think I know how to do it - just store those values when you first read in the file.  Probably get that done this week.

However - this means it would require you to re-load the mech. Existing units wouldn't, as I have no values to go with.  I'd like to get around this somehow, but right now not sure how.

I'll work on it this week -if anyone has any other ideas or how to get around the issue there let me know

OldTimer

• Recruit
« Reply #42 on: 29 July 2018, 20:28:23 »
Busy week but finally got around to implementing it - It was easier than I thought.  The Reset button is on the overview screen.  Tapping it will reset:
        - Equipment selection
        - Ammo used
        - Heat Level
        - Armor / Internal Damage
        - Individual components

Version 1.2 should be available soon on the Google Play store.  I could add a setting to limit what gets reset if requested.  Any bugs or issues let me know, thanks!

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: 29 July 2018, 20:44:18 »
I'll check it out as soon as I can! Thank you

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #44 on: 29 July 2018, 20:48:13 »
I assume that the costs associated with iOS development (and probably greater formality in licensing with regard to the Appstore) make an iPhone/iPad version prohibitive.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

OldTimer

• Recruit
« Reply #45 on: 29 July 2018, 21:08:59 »
I assume that the costs associated with iOS development (and probably greater formality in licensing with regard to the Appstore) make an iPhone/iPad version prohibitive.

Good questions.. there's a few smaller issues.. and one bigger one.

1) I have zero experience with iOS, but Google has a cross platform language / tool set (Flutter) that I've been thinking of diving into.  Even if I was already familiar with Flutter I'd have the same problem that:
2) I have no Mac or iPhone to perform basic testing with - unlike Android I need a Mac to develop iOS apps.  I do have a 12 year old MacBook that might still work but.. probably not  :P
3) There is a much higher cost - $100 a year to be on the AppStore.  Google was a one time fee of $25.
4) Licensing - quite possibly issues here, no idea how Apple would handle it.  More research required here.
5) The big one - Time.  Right now I'm on a very intense full time French Language Training course and adding a programming language to learn on top of it would really hurt me.  It may end this fall, which would allow me to start looking into the other iOS issues more at that time.

Hope that better explains my situation and where I'm at with that, cheers!

Terence

Bludlust

• Private
« Reply #46 on: 03 August 2018, 00:09:23 »
Oldtimer, I would like to make a suggestion. Would it be possible to link that Armor and Internal Structure such that damage transfer occurs and a warning pops up stating that a roll for possible crit is needed. No need to actually code the roll, just the notification that it's needed. I like rolling my own dice. :)

Robroy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: 03 August 2018, 04:32:24 »
Is there an update for the kindle?

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

OldTimer

• Recruit
« Reply #48 on: 03 August 2018, 14:55:49 »
DOH.  Yes.  Amazon App Store.  sorry that's a new one for me I'll get that updated, completely forgot.  brain dead this week  :-\

Oldtimer, I would like to make a suggestion. Would it be possible to link that Armor and Internal Structure such that damage transfer occurs and a warning pops up stating that a roll for possible crit is needed. No need to actually code the roll, just the notification that it's needed. I like rolling my own dice. :)

So, if I'm understanding it right - you take 10 damage to the right arm.  right arm has 5 points left.  you tap the right arm 10 times - after the 5th time an alert appears, and any further points go to the internal structure automatically?

If that's correct I can get that done, no problem.

Robroy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: 04 August 2018, 08:29:12 »
Kindle update hit last night. Everything seems to be working. Keep up the good work. And thanks.

Bludlust

• Private
« Reply #50 on: 05 August 2018, 22:44:10 »
DOH.  Yes.  Amazon App Store.  sorry that's a new one for me I'll get that updated, completely forgot.  brain dead this week  :-\

So, if I'm understanding it right - you take 10 damage to the right arm.  right arm has 5 points left.  you tap the right arm 10 times - after the 5th time an alert appears, and any further points go to the internal structure automatically?

If that's correct I can get that done, no problem.

Yep, that is correct. You got it in one.

OldTimer

• Recruit
« Reply #51 on: 06 August 2018, 21:44:31 »
So I realized this actually means I have to handle passing damage from one location to the next, which isn't a problem but my week is pretty packed.  I might be able to get to it this week, otherwise it may not be until the following week. 

Bludlust

• Private
« Reply #52 on: 07 August 2018, 21:57:46 »
whenever you have the time. I'm liking this ALOT.

OldTimer

• Recruit
« Reply #53 on: 13 August 2018, 22:20:44 »
Thank you for the kind words  :)

I've uploaded a new versioning to support your request - it does not however transfer damage from one location to another (Left Arm to Left Torso, etc) - I figured this would allow more flexibility and was frankly a LOT easier.  If this is something wanted I can try fitting it in after my exam next week.  The new version should be viewable on Google and Amazon app stores soon.

Change Log:
- Auto transfer damage from Armor to Internal Structure
- Display a message if location has been destroyed and try to add damage
- Display a message if adding beyond the default maximum to armor / internal structure
- Color for Armor, Internal Structure, and Pilot damage now include Orange for partial damage
- Colors adjusted to improve for color blindness