Author Topic: MWO - Vulcan Announced!  (Read 5795 times)

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
MWO - Vulcan Announced!
« on: 01 May 2018, 16:14:45 »

https://mwomercs.com/vulcan

A 3025 'Mech, perfect for MW5 or BattleTech DLC...

All variants have 315 max engine rating

VL-2T - 1 Ballistic LA, 2 Energy LT, 2 Ballistic RT, 1 Energy RA
VL-5T - 1 Ballistic LA, 1 Energy LT, 3 Energy RT, 1 Energy RA
VT-5M - 2 Ballistic LA, 1 Energy LT, 2 Energy RT, 1 Energy RA
VT-5S - 1 Ballistic LA, 2 Energy LT, 1 Ballistic RT, 1 Energy RA
VT-6M - 2 Ballistic LA, 1 Energy LT, 2 Ballistic RT, 1 Energy RA
VL-BL 'BLOODLUST' - Hero Mech - 240XL, 5 tons armor, 11 single sinks, standard chassis, 4 jump jets - stock its armed with an SRM-4 in the head and each side torso, two machine guns in left arm and one in the right along side a single small laser. four tons of missiles, two of MG ammo. Hard points match that loadout = 1 Missile Head, 2 Ballistic LA, 1 Missile LT, 1 Missile CT, 1 Missile RT, 1 Energy 1 Ballistic RA
« Last Edit: 02 May 2018, 05:32:33 by Cyc »

sadlerbw

• Captain
Re: MWO - Vulcan Announced!
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2018, 17:31:14 »
Sweet! Imma have to buy this one. I’m a sucker for scrub-tier mediums. Cockpit could be more bulbous and stuck out, but they got the shoulders and torso right.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2018, 17:31:37 »
Great mech to release, because you can use in MW5 and the BattleTech turned based game.

I haven't logged into MWO for a good while, probably 3 months or so. Man did I spend way too much money on that game. It just doesn't hold my attention that well anymore.

If we could just get certain legal business attended to, so we can have the PHX, MAD, WHM, ARC, and RFL in the BattleTech game, I'd be so very, very happy.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2018, 17:46:40 »
There are a few I wouldn't mind buying including this, but I am saving all my disposable income for MW5 Mercs and the new box sets.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2018, 19:03:44 »
An odd choice. Not a bad one, just odd
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2018, 20:18:44 »
An odd choice. Not a bad one, just odd

Agreed.
Pulls at the nostalgia strings...not sure it’s enough to open the wallet though.
I would’ve preferred a Dervish or Hermès II for this weight class and era.

It is tempting...
"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #6 on: 01 May 2018, 20:48:28 »
Where do I find the fluff for the MWO mechs?  I just can't find it.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2018, 22:02:30 »
Weird random choice of Mech to add.  I was thinking they were going add more 3060ish era machines.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 05 May 2018, 08:56:49 »
Weird random choice of Mech to add.  I was thinking they were going add more 3060ish era machines.
I wonder if they've been working with HBS? Add older 'Mechs they've skipped over, since Battletech with DLC/expansions could make use of them, and upcoming Mechwarrior V most certainly can.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2018, 09:49:52 »
I wonder if they've been working with HBS? Add older 'Mechs they've skipped over, since Battletech with DLC/expansions could make use of them, and upcoming Mechwarrior V most certainly can.
Unless they were paid by HBS to introduce them, it would make more sense.  Vulture isn't a Anti-Mech machine, it's infantry/crowd control.  That's why is such weird choice.  Sure it can do some city work, but it's thin armored, only players who like old school and unique looking are going go for this thing unless it has compelling hardpoints which would be hard to ignore.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 05 May 2018, 11:15:47 »
My first thought is someone get this poor mech a sandwich.

Or, in the words of Sally Struthers, "For just five cents a day, you can help help a light mech get the armor it needs to survive."
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #11 on: 05 May 2018, 13:13:57 »
Given trouble people have their mech too wide, this thing may have advantage in that department.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 05 May 2018, 20:10:00 »
Unless they were paid by HBS to introduce them, it would make more sense.  Vulture isn't a Anti-Mech machine, it's infantry/crowd control.  That's why is such weird choice.  Sure it can do some city work, but it's thin armored, only players who like old school and unique looking are going go for this thing unless it has compelling hardpoints which would be hard to ignore.
To be honest, roles and stuff like that has never mattered for MWO 'Mech choices. I mean, the Flea or the Locust? Heck, most lights in general. Or the Rifleman and the Jagermech, both anti-air 'Mechs, they should never even really fight other 'Mechs except they're pressed to that duty due to necessity. Same as the Vulcan.

Stock armor is meaningless, folks modify it anyway. And quirks allow balancing weaker 'Mechs, to the point they're (or were, i've been away from MWO for a while) meta-defining things almost, combined with hard points.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #13 on: 06 May 2018, 00:28:03 »
The one bonus I can see going for the Vulcan is that it can mount lighter Ballistics or ER Larges/Peepers in near-cockpit-height locations, combined with an incredibly spindly profile.

In terms of performance, I'm expecting it to be the best, or one of the best, IS Poke-sniper in the medium circuit-and likely even better than some Clan ones.

Kind of like the Assassin of Hill Humping-unseeingly good at anything, until you modify it to be excellent at something else. A few people thought the Assassin would be awful, but IIRC it's one of the best IS SRM backstabbers.

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #14 on: 07 May 2018, 17:36:27 »
that's about as much goofy as i should've hoped for. the asymmetry of this thing's torso reminds me i'd like it if the "chunks" the hardpoints are connected to were also dynamic.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #15 on: 08 May 2018, 15:34:37 »

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #16 on: 01 August 2018, 16:18:16 »
Soon

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 02 August 2018, 07:21:39 »
I caved for lore/personal history reasons and bought it after the early adopter perks expired.

Looks pretty good with that in-game image IMO.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 02 August 2018, 11:33:18 »
Agreed, looks great. Very Vulcan-y.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 02 August 2018, 13:40:54 »
Even though I kind of want to buy it now, I'm either getting this with free MC or with Ceebs once it gets released for either. I can't really justify spending hard money on MWO anymore.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #20 on: 18 August 2018, 00:08:13 »
Ever approaching soon-ness

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #21 on: 19 August 2018, 22:37:32 »
Lots more over at the countdown threat in the MWO forums but selection follows - https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/268311-countdown-to-vulcan-release-august-21st/

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 22 August 2018, 21:57:52 »
Yuuuup, definitely a C-Bill wait.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #23 on: 23 August 2018, 06:25:16 »
How are you guys who gotten the Vulcan liking it so far.  Seems to be couple on the battlefield the few times I've gotten on other night. 

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 23 August 2018, 17:54:00 »
I purchased the standard pack and hero variant and since Tuesday have had little time to play, mostly due to other commitments and using what little time I had for finishing WoT's 50-day Kursk Missions, which was relatively easy and fun.  Bunch of free stuff including a Tier 5 Premium T-34S and some unique camo.

In the few games I've managed to play in, I'm often the only Vulcan, or one of two, maybe 3 at the most and that was only one game. 

I don't think the Vulcan sold very well.

Some nitpicks...the cockpit interior is rather, bland, disappointing and uninspired.  items either side of the chair don't make sense and seem like misplaced filler.  Like the effort on the hatch to forward upper left though.

Looks a bit bulkier than a Vulcan should, might be a bit too large in some respects.

The Hero variant's paint scheme looks better with the light colors replaced with darker ones, BYMMV.

Play-wise I'm still figuring things out, but they seem a bit to fragile even with skill tree buffs.  Almost like a lot of them aren't applying or working properly, especially the speed tweak.  I know it says I'm doing 110KPH, but it often doesn't feel like it whereas the Assassin felt/feels fast. 

Maneuverability is excellent for the most part...but it seems off sometimes and I seem to get hung up on things more.  Could be me getting used to how the Vulcan responds...

Weapons are ok, but most of the quirks are misplaced.  The LPL quirks on the VT-5M are great, but the +25 ROF on the single ballistic is lackluster due to the limited tonnage.

I'm having fun, driving a peculiar but favorite mech of mine from the 80s and I guess that's all the matters.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #25 on: 24 August 2018, 17:57:51 »
Maybe its the fact I spent most of my limited MWO time for the last few months in Fleas, but I'm enjoying the Vulcan.