Author Topic: I Raven - A Battletech Short Story  (Read 2914 times)

Xbwalker

• Recruit
    • My Books
I Raven - A Battletech Short Story
« on: 12 December 2019, 14:48:43 »
Hello fellow fans. First of all, this is my first post. My name is Brandon and I am a huge fan of Battletech. In fact, it was the first book series I read that I would call a "Grown up" series, back when I was in 9th grade. Since then, I have read pretty much every battletech novel and some of the Dark Age ones as well.

I am the author of the book "Ruin" on Amazon and most other retailers but I don't know the rules on external links, so I'll avoid making one. Anyhow, I have been a fan since my first novel "Decision at Thunder Rift" and a heavy player of all the games. MechCommander, MechWarrior 2 Titanium, 3, 4, and now MW5 Mercs.

I am going to try my hand at some short fiction in the BTech universe, as it's on my bucket list. As a big fan of the Raven and light mechs in general, I thought I would start there. Enjoy, and go easy on me  :thumbsup:

Chapter 1 - Patrol

4th of June 3051 (Earth Calendar): Southern Outskirts of Ajnanabal City, Hassad, Free Worlds League 07:20

The red giant that was Hassad’s sun crept over the treeline and bathed the thick jungle undergrowth in deep shades of orange. To the north, Ajnanabal City stuck out of the growth like a concrete giant, constantly fighting to hold back the encroachment of nature.

Shimmers of heat were already rising above the cityscape as the sun washed over Ajnanabal’s many flat pebble rooftops and asphalt roads. Soon, the moisture of the tropical rains that had visited in the evening prior would begin to evaporate into a sticky fog.

Despite all this, Sgt. Kiran Loren was freezing. His cooling vest hummed quietly as the liquid in its many pockets was slowly circulated by a small pump behind his command chair. If he were in combat, or doing anything besides another routine morning patrol of the city perimeter, his mech might produce enough heat for him to appreciate such a luxury.

Kiran flipped the toggle for his radio. He shivered and then cleared his throat, “Bird 2 reports nominal activity in sector 3A. Request permission to continue to 3B.”

For a moment, Kiran wasn’t sure his message had been transmitted. After a few more seconds of silence, he reached for his transmit toggle to try again, but was stopped as a static pop sounded over his headset.

“Bird 2, permission granted,” came the tired voice of whoever had drawn the short straw at Ops Command. Early shift was almost as undesirable as third shift. Almost.

“Proceed to 3B and link up with Bird 1,” the voice crackled in his neurohelmet.

“Ack,” Kiran replied before cutting the connection. He called up a topographical map of his assigned patch of jungle. The electronics in his 35 ton Raven 3L battlemech were still some of the most impressive displays of technology available in Inner Sphere mechs.

As the only mech purpose built to house the 1.5 ton Guardian ECM Array, his Raven was cutting edge. In light of the recent clan incursion into Draconis territory, Ravens were seeing heavy use. However, that conflict, concerning though it was, was on the other side of the galaxy. Here on Hassad it was just another Wednesday on patrol.

Tracing the touchscreen with his finger, Kiran plotted out a course to sector 3B. His ten kilometer trek would take him over a small range of rock covered hills that jutted out of the dense jungle and offered a great view of the coastline. It was a slower route than staying in the jungle below, but Kiran was in no hurry to link up with his patrol partner. That would just mean more patrolling through dense and choking brush.

“Hey Kiran, my heads up is showing a really wonky route to me from your nav computer. You lost?” came a woman’s voice over his headset.

“Damnit, Sala.. I mean Lieutenant, use callsigns,” Kiran grumbled, checking to make sure the comm channel was private. “It’s OpSec 101.”

“My apologies, Bird 2,” Lt. Sala replied. Kiran caught a sarcastic emphasis on the “2.” And was that insubordination I heard, Sergeant?

Kiran chortled and grinned before throttling his mech to an easy 50kph. He was mindful of the trees as head dodged left and right. Sure, his mech could easily topple most of them, but the loud noise of solid objects striking his chassis would just set his ears to ringing. Not to mention the inevitable outcry from the city college’s environmentalists. 

With the increase in speed, his cockpit began to warm by a couple degrees. His Hermes 210XL engine thrummed steadily as it fed power to the myomer muscles that gave his bird shaped mech its mobility.

Soon, he had reached the top of the range. Almost at once, the thick trees fell behind him, and the bare rocky top of the ridgeline appeared. Kiran throttled down as his Raven reached a mostly flat area of the hill. He turned the 35 ton bulk to face the coastline to the north, and with a low pitched whine, the mech came to a stop.

Knowing he had little time before command radioed for an update, Kiran detached the neuro-helmet from his head, unbuckled his safety harness, and ascended the ladder to the hatch above.

As he pulled the release, a gust of warm humid air gushed in from the outside. It smelled of dirt, water, and chlorophyll. It smelled like a jungle. Kiran hoisted himself the rest of the way up and sat on the edge of the hatch hole.

The jungle air was a welcome comfort against his skin. He’d left his cooling vest in the cockpit and shivered to think of putting it back on. To the north, the city was coming alive. The freeway that ringed around Ajnanabal, the capital city of Hassad, was already choked with rush hour traffic. He could hear the honking of horns carry over the morning breeze.

Kiran lay back on the elongated chassis of his mech and looked up into the sky. Already, the afternoon rain clouds were beginning to form. One of the darker clouds crept north and covered the sun, offering a nice view of the light blue sky.

To the east, high in the atmosphere, he spotted the familiar glowing tail of a decelerating dropship. He tried to recall the name of the incoming craft from the list of inbound transports, but was drawing a blank. No doubt, another transport from the nearby moon of-

Suddenly, his heart jumped. Three more fire trails resolved in the sky behind the other. Something about what he was seeing triggered alarms in his mind. Ajnanabal starport was small, supporting only a single dropship landing pad and a couple atmospheric landing strips for commercial flights. Four made no sense except-

As he scrambled down the ladder and reached for the hatch, Kiran heard the mournful howls of air raid sirens come up from the city. He slammed his hatch shut and nearly forgot to secure it in his haste. Quickly, he dropped into his command couch and strapped in.

No sooner had he secured his neurohelmet on his head than a cacophony of radio traffic flooded his earpiece.

“Tracking inbound unidentified -”
“Who the hell is-”
“Alpha Whiskey Two Niner, reposition to-”

Kiran flipped his comm switches to filter non-directed traffic.

“Bird 2 Bird 2! Come in, this is 1. I repeat-”

“This is Bird 2, what the hell is going on?” Kiran interrupted.

Before Sala could respond, a familiar voice crackled over Kiran’s headset, “South Patrol, this is Major Reece at Ajnanabal OpsCom, proceed at maximum speed to grid 1 and take up position in subgrid 3A for a possible R.Rep action.”

Sala’s voice replied quickly, “This is Bird 1 confirming request. South Patrol is on the way. Out.” There was a click as the comm line was closed. At the rank of Lieutenant, Sala was his superior and expected to handle all communications between their patrol group and OpsCom.

“Bird 2,” Sala sounded flustered, OpsCom has us in grid 1-3A for a possible Raider Repel mission, that puts us right on the outskirts of the city. Pedal to the metal, Sergeant.”

“Yes sir,” Kiran responded. Caught up in the excitement, he jammed the throttle to 100%. The sudden jolt in speed nearly overcame the balance that his inner ear was feeding the neurohelmet. Following a brief struggle against the ensuing dizziness, he was sprinting at his Raven 3L’s full 97kph.

A few minutes, or seconds, Kiran couldn’t tell, passed. The jungle continued to rush by him in a blur and the comm traffic from the city was still a jumbled mess. Pressing a button, he switched to a private channel with Sala.

“Sa- Bird 1, this is Bird 2, over,” Kiran said, doing his best to keep his voice from shaking.

“Bird 1 copies,” came the quick response.

“Any more word from command? Or anything to indicate what’s going on?” Kiran asked.

“Plenty of traffic from OpsCom, but none directed toward us,” Sala replied. She sounded to Kiran like she was between heavy breaths. It gave him some relief to know, he wasn’t the only one handling the sudden threat poorly. In terms of experience, they were both low on the ladder of mech warrior greatness.

Both had never seen real combat. The only thing that separated the Lieutenant from himself was a few years in the Second Marik Militia, most of which she had spent patrolling or running the occasional readiness drill. When Colonel Gierke had taken the bulk of the Militia’s forces to the nearby planet Vanra to recruit, he had left a light force of two light mechs, a couple dozen mixed vehicles, and two divisions of infantry to protect the backwater world of Hassad.

Sala continued, “From what I can gather, there are four yet unknown dropships coming in hot. There was no warning from orbital and nothing from the jump point. Sounds like a raid. But it’s a lot of hardware for something like that.”

“Do we have dropship classifications?” Kiran asked.

“Two confirmed so far,” Sala replied. There was a moment of silence before her voice returned, “looks like two Union Class dropships. The other two are smaller. I don’t have any word on- Wait a second. Switch to OpsCom channel nine.”

Kiran did so, and nearly ran headfirst into a Kapok tree twice the width of his light mech. The channel buzzed to life.

"Hostile signatures have increased to nine… no, fifteen, correction sixteen. Twelve smaller signals, looks like aerofighters. I- yes confirmed, incoming light aerofighters. Activate countermeasures. Where the hell are our squadrons!?"

A reply came, muffled in the background, "Blue 3 is launching now. 2 and 1 were in the middle of a maintenance cycle. We weren’t expecting-"

Just get every ****** fighter in the air that you can before-

The line went silent.  Sala’s voice broke back in over Kiran’s headset, “I just lost all traffic from OpsComm. I still have plenty on civilian channels though. I think the array may have been hit.”

“Shit,” Kiran exclaimed. “What do we do?”

“Continue on mission, Sergeant. We get to grid 1-3A and try to link up with the OpsComm. Ours are the only mechs on this continent right now, and with Colonel Gierke off planet with the majority of the militia, we’re the only thing standing in the way of a complete takeover of the capitol. It’s time to put that academy training to use. I hope you’re ready.”

The red glow of fires and war ahead began to break through the thinning jungle canopy. Kiran wasn’t sure if he was ready, but he knew, he was about to find out.
« Last Edit: 13 December 2019, 12:16:53 by Xbwalker »

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Re: I Raven - A Battletech Short Story
« Reply #1 on: 12 December 2019, 15:21:43 »
Hey there :) Thanks for sharing us with this, its DAMN good! Very very well written! :)
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Xbwalker

• Recruit
    • My Books
« Reply #2 on: 12 December 2019, 15:38:28 »
Judging by the **** stars, I am guessing, no swear words. Is that an admin thing or is it automatic in the forum code?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 12 December 2019, 17:31:34 »
It's automatic in the forum code.  As long as you just let the forum do its thing, you'll have no trouble with the moderators.  And don't be surprised if some things aren't ***'d out.  If the words pass the censortron, you're good to go.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 13 December 2019, 00:51:53 »
An excellent start to the story.
The admins like to keep this site child friendly so most are censored.
The old and decrepit amongst us don't care  :beer:
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Esskatze

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 13 December 2019, 11:02:33 »
I like it too, so far it's a good read. However, can you please make up your mind if the main character is named Karn or Kiran?

Xbwalker

• Recruit
    • My Books
« Reply #6 on: 13 December 2019, 12:14:37 »
I like it too, so far it's a good read. However, can you please make up your mind if the main character is named Karn or Kiran?

Oops! Good catch. It's Kiran. He's of Indian descent, which is somewhat in line with the inhabitants of this planet. Fixing now. Thanks!

Xbwalker

• Recruit
    • My Books
« Reply #7 on: 13 December 2019, 15:43:09 »
Chapter 2 - A Burning Sky

4th of June 3051: Hangar Charlie - Ajnanabal City, Hassad, Free Worlds League 07:45

Blue 6, path is clear. Good luck.

The sudden G force of his GM150 Fusion engine threw Captain Arav Kumar into his seat. In only a few seconds, his Spad 303 light fighter was airborne. The engine rumbled as his craft scrambled for altitude.

He was the last in his undersized squadron to launch. Already, the fiery trails of the other experimental 303s burned in the sky above him. The small aerofighters were little more than ancient starleague era models with new paint and a few more gadgets slapped on for good measure.

He did appreciate the decent armament though. Swapping out the original small laser for a medium variant, his thirty ton fighter could pack a punch. His PPC and two medium lasers could go toe to toe with any medium sized fighter, and his mobility would guarantee, he’d be hard to kill. Even the ancient Star Leage era computer had been replaced with a newer, supposedly smarter one. This all came at the expense of paper thin armor however.

Typically, a healthy squadron would consist of twenty or more fighters, but with most of the militia’s forces offworld, Hassad had been left with a depleted force of six refit light fighters, meant only for patrol duty. It wouldn’t be enough, he knew, but, they would use their superior maneuverability and bleed the enemy as much as possible.

A familiar voice came over his comm. Blue leader is coming into ident range. Stand by…

Finally, the squadron leader’s voice came over the comm, Classification says Stingrays, all 12 of them. No word on the dropships just yet.

Arav’s stomach tightened as the model popped up on his heads up display. The forward swept wing fighters were twice the tonnage of his insufficient Spad 303. With two medium lasers, two large lasers, and a nose mounted PPC, the Stingrays were capable of hitting farther out and with much more force.

As if reading his mind, the squadron leader shouted over the comm, Squadron, break off any go after the nearest dropship. Keep the dropship between you and the fighters. We need to draw them into a close range dogfight. Remember, hit and run tactics. Those dropships are usually bristling with weapons, but their tracking is poor.

Arav gripped the control stick tightly and banked hard right. Already, errant PPCs tore through the air where the squadron had just been. At this range, it was unlikely any of them would be hit, but that didn’t matter. The feeling of one’s enemy nipping at your feet was deeply ingrained in the human conscious from its time as hunter gatherers. Arav pushed the afterburners to full burn and his cockpit was instantly hot.

The deceptively cool blue light of a large laser grazed his left wing and left a centimeter deep scar of red metal in its wake, fraying the edges of the armored plate and causing the air to whistle loudly over the new wound. At such an extreme range, the damage was superficial, but it still set Arav on edge.

The nearest of the dropships began to resolve through the heavy atmosphere. As had been reported, it was a Union class ship. Once the range had closed to 2KM, Arav’s tracking computer went to work on classifying the ship and its various components. The readout filled a corner of his HUD.

Class: Union
Tonnage: 3,600
Weapons: Gathering data…
Gathering data….

“Computer upgrades, my ass!” he shouted as he rapped the top of the console with a heavy blow.

Weapons: 4 PPC, 4 AC5, 6 SRM6

“What the hell?” he wondered aloud. Arav keyed his mic. “This is Blue 6. I’m reading some really...light armaments on that lead dropship.”

I see it too, Blue 6, Blue Leader replied. This isn’t exactly what I’d call leading with your best. If these are Capellan troops, they really sent the B team.

It’s still more than enough to take us out, Arav thought with grim resignation.

The dropship was now within 1 kilometer. Arav switched the weapon group on his HUD to his PPC and counted down.

900m

Blue streaks of PPC fire from the union dropship shot by either side of his fighter as the dropship engaged Blue Leader. Bright orange tracers followed the fire of AC5s. Suddenly, one of the Spads fell out of formation, a trail of oily black smoke following it.

700m

Dual green lances of light reached out toward the squadron. One glanced a Spad, but at that range, the damage was superficial. The lead elements of the squadron opened fire, concentrating on the area around the craft’s primary engine bells. The sky began to rain with LRM missiles. Most passed the formation as they sought out static ground defenses.

600m

The incoming missile alarm began ringing in his cockpit.

500m

Close enough, Arav thought as he jammed the trigger down. A superheated ball of plasma and matter spun out of his nose mounted PPC and toward the enemy dropship. Within a fraction of a second, the shot had buried itself just above one of the drive bells, scoring a deep hole in the dropship’s armor adding to the damage that the other light fighters had begun to inflict. The dropship continued its descent though, shrugging off the hits to its thick armored exterior. Molten armor quickly cooled and hardened in the rushing wind.

The warning klaxon continued to ring. Arav looked up to see a stream of LRMs burning down toward him from one of the other dropships. Again, he pushed his afterburner to the limit as he corkscrewed in closer to his target. It would be a race between himself and the rapid moving long range missiles.

200m

The cockpit was already sweltering from his PPC blast and burst of speed, but Arav wasn’t out of the fight yet. His fighter continued its spinning ballet with the incoming missiles. A moment later, the enemy dropship was only 100m away, casting a dark shadow as it temporarily blotted out the sun. Again, the feeling of being nipped at the heel came back to him. He thumbed the trigger for his two medium lasers and scored new surgical lines across the slagged armor around the landing engines.

Finally, Arav pulled hard on the control stick and began looping his fighter around the bottom quadrant of the large spherical ship. He could hear the loud booming of the dropship’s autocannons and hiss of its PPCs as it continued to lay down fire on the other Spads. At this range, the speed of his fighter would be too much for the dropship’s weapons to track him. That was his hope at least.

BOOM, BOOM BOOM!

Explosions ignited the air behind his small fighter, pushing his tail dangerously high, and for a moment he nearly lost control. He pulled back on the stick again and adjusted his course away from the conflagration.

His fighter creaked at the sudden maneuver, but it was soon flying straight again as the worst fell behind him. The incoming missile klaxons had gone silent. Chancing a quick backwards glance, he saw a dozen fresh smoking holes near the landing engines where he had just been a moment earlier.

The back of his spad was scorched, but nothing was alarming. Failing to follow his craft around the bulk of the dropship, the LRMs had instead struck the descending behemoth. The damage of a stream of LRM20s coupled with PPC and laser fire of the light fighters had finally breached the dropship’s armor. Suddenly, the ship’s descent sped up as it began to list to one side. Its engines sputtered and died.

He could hear the excited shouts of his remaining squadron mates pour over his headset as the dropship began to plummet out of control.

The voice of Blue Leader broke into the celebration, Good work, but stay focused, Blue Squadron. We still have -

Arav wouldn’t hear the rest of Blue Leader’s orders. Two PPCs disintegrated his cockpit and two large lasers finished the job, slicing the front of his Spad in two. He felt no pain as his body was instantly burned to a pile of ash.

The enemy fighters had come into range.

4th of June 3051: TelCotta Suburbs - Ajnanabal City, Hassad, Free Worlds League 08:02

Kiran watched as the smoking dropship plummeted downward. Its burning mass punched a hole through the cumulus clouds. A vortex of white and black followed its deadly descent.

The contrails of the city’s Spad fighters weaved in and out if the dying vessel’s wake as they did battle with the enemy fighters. Small explosions dotted the sky as fighters from both sides fell in the deadly dance that was aerial combat.

Kiran and Sala had reached their assigned destination. Their mechs waited at the heights of the TelCotta suburbs, an upscale area at the edge of the city where the wealthiest of its citizens looked down on the concrete bowl that made up Ajnanabal’s metropolis.

Utilizing their jungle camouflage, they had opted to stay a few meters within the treeline. Sala had engaged her ECM to ensure no lucky scans would easily find them. Kiran had been watching silently as Sala continued to try and reach OpsCom.

Shifting his attention back to the dropship, he could see that it was falling near terminal velocity now. It looked like it would hit right about-

The dropship struck the shallows of East Beach with the entirety of its 3,600 ton bulk. The water did little to cushion its fall. In a spectacular explosion of fire, heat, and light, the Union Class Dropship burst apart atop the waves like an exploding egg. Flaming bits of debris where thrown outwards in a chartreuse mushroom cloud. The edge of the blast reached across the sands to flatten some of the small wooden villas and shops that dotted the popular tourist beach.

Seconds later, the sound of the explosion reached Kiran’s ears. The cockpit rumbled as the ground vibrated with the powerful explosion. Suddenly, Sala’s voice broke in over his comm, Kiran, you there?

Kiran sighed and switched on his transmitter, “Yes, I’m here, and did you forget, we’re supposed to use callsigns.”

Damn the protocol, came Sala’s annoyed reply. I’m your sister and I’ve been calling your by your name since day one. Until we get in contact with OpsCom, I’m not going to bother with callsigns. Besides, Bird 1 and 2 are stupid.

He couldn’t argue with that. He’d hated the generic callsigns since they had been assigned to them. Also, he didn’t know of many, if any, sibling teams among the ranks of mechwarriors aside from his sister and himself.

Shrugging, he replied, “So, still no word from command then?”

No, and it looks like our air assets are pretty much wiped out, Sala said. I think… yes, we need to get out of here and back to Command.

“But, our orders were to wait here,” Kiran objected.

He had always been the “by the books” one, following the rules and procedures to the letter. Sala was quite the opposite. Where he was level headed, she was impetuous. Where he was cautious, she was daring. They had all the makings for a conflict of character, but in reality their differences made them an effective team.

Early on, Kiran’s superiors had seen the strength in putting the two on the field together. Together, they were an effective weapon with Kiran as the sight and Sala as the barrel. His focus and her tenacity had scored them more than a few upsets on the simulators and ultimately led to their graduation at the top of the MechWarrior classes.

Hell with our orders, Kiran. We’re the only mech pilots in the field right now. OpsCom needs us, and they’ve missed the rendezvous by twenty minutes.

To emphasize her point, the remaining three dropships burst through the bottom layer of clouds and began their final approach. The larger one, another Union Class dropship flared as its engines slowed for a landing on Ajnanabal’s one landing pad. The other two, Triumph class troop transports according to Kiran’s readouts, were landing on the sands of East Beach among the wreckage of the first dropship.

I’m making a command decision, little brother, Sala said. The pulling of familial rank made Kiran bristle, but he kept quiet.

Sala continued, We need to get to OpsCom. Two of those dropships are troop transports. That could mean only one thing. This isn’t a raid. It’s an occupation. We’re in for a long fight.
« Last Edit: 17 December 2019, 12:02:03 by Xbwalker »

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 16 December 2019, 00:29:14 »
2 mechs vrs occupation army, that Raven will earn it's keep.

So what is his sister piloting?
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 16 December 2019, 01:53:54 »
Both are piloting Ravens i believe.
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Xbwalker

• Recruit
    • My Books
« Reply #10 on: 16 December 2019, 14:48:43 »
Correct. Both are in Ravens. In this era, the clan invasion is just starting to get going and Ravens are very cutting edge. I did my research to try and stay within canon. Seems Marik (which this world belongs to) started buying them from manufacturers within the Capellan Confederation a year prior. Colonel Alva Gierke (also canon) stationed a skeleton crew on Hassad but left them with some of his most technologically superior units to offset the numbers.

Side note, when will this verification CAPTCHA go away?

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #11 on: 16 December 2019, 15:07:28 »
Side note, when will this verification CAPTCHA go away?

After the first five or ten posts, IIRC.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 16 December 2019, 17:48:16 »
It's 10 posts, sorry...

Xbwalker

• Recruit
    • My Books
« Reply #13 on: 16 December 2019, 18:51:44 »
Today's is a bit short. Every book has that "chatty chapter" haha. This is mine. I do love that Battletech is all about the action though. I have decided that communications that come in over headset will be in itallics. That way we can differentiate face to face conversation from radio.

Chapter 3 - Birds of Prey

4th of June 3051: Downtown SE - Ajnanabal City, Hassad, Free Worlds League 08:59

Kiran’s mech was good and warm now. His Raven had been at a sprint for over an hour and the cockpit had warmed to a stuffy 30c. For now, his cooling suit was more than enough to offset the heat, but he longed for a scent of sea air and a cool breeze.

The feet of his mech clanged and screeched as he turned another sharp corner in tandem with Sala’s Raven. By now, they were deep enough in the city that most streets were void of traffic. The metropolis was nearly a ghost town. Its towering buildings rose into the haze like ethereal concrete giants. 

At first, the run through Ajnanabal’s streets and freeways had been a precarious one. One on a few occasions, Kiran had accidentally kicked a hovercraft to the side of the screet. There was little he could do but shout “sorry.” There was no way for the civilians to hear him through his multiple tons of ferro-fibrous armor, but it brought him some comfort to say at least. 

Bird 2, I’m starting to pick up voice traffic from OpsComm

Kiran noted that Sala had opted to use callsigns again now that they were in earshot of command.

As if emphasizing her point, three J.Edgar light hovercraft droned by at high speed, nearly running into Sala’s mech as they rushed eastward down the street. Both Ravens slowed their to a cautious walk as they turned the corner.

OpsComm was a mess. The 2 kilometer squared base occupied what once had been a large central city park nearly 100 years prior. The far end consisted of barracks, supply warehouses, and other odds and ends, while the eastern quadrant held mech bays, vehicle storage, and most importantly the command center.

As they made their way past the open entrance, Sala’s voice cut in, this time on an open channel, This is Bird 1 and 2 reporting in. Do you read?

There was a jumble of voices through Kiran’s headset, but none seemed directed at them. Sala repeated he query, This is Bird 1, can I-

Bird 1, this is OpsComm. It was a woman’s voice. She sounded flustered and distracted. What is your current position?

Umm, right in front of you, Sala replied.

What the he- How…

What’s the situation and where do you want us? Also, with whom am I speaking? Sala asked. She was keeping a lid on it, but Kiran could hear that she shared the frustrations of the unknown speaker.

This is Captain Dana Hagman of the Second Marik Militia, the woman replied. And before you ask, yes, I am apparently in command. Major Reece’s HQ crawler was hit by a...stray LRM on its way to the Aero hangars at Airbase Bravo.

Kiran could hear the suspicion in her statement.

She continued, And the situation is that we are in a mess of trouble. Another one of those supposed stray LRMs knocked out the primary comms tower on Ancy Mountain. We’re operating on shortwave right now. I have no idea what’s happening outside of a one mile radius. To that end, what did you see when you were coming in?

Bird 2 here has better tracking hardware than I do. I’ll let him report, Sala replied.

Kiran paused for a moment. His sister had always been the talker. She had the charisma. He had the logical mind. She had a way with words. He had a way with numbers. He was pretty sure this was some misguided attempt at helping him get his “moment in the sun,” as she would likely put it.

Bird 2, are you there?

Kiran’s heart skipped a beat.

“Yeah, sorry I..” he began. Clearing his throat, he tried again, “Bird 2 reports 4 incoming dropships. Two Union class. And two Triumph class troop transports. One of the Unions was shot down and crashed somewhere in the shallows of East Beach.”

Yes yes, I know all that, the captain replied. What about positions? Troop counts? Anything beyond the visual.

Kiran cleared his throat again. He couldn’t understand why his body had chosen this moment to betray him with a tightened throat. “We maneuvered through the inner city most of the time, so scans were useless, but before we lost contact, it looked like the troop transports were landing on the beach and the remaining Union ship was heading for the starport. Those Triumph classes can hold a battalion each and the Union class can bring up to three lances of mechs onto the field.”

Birds 1 and 2 standby.

This time, the delay dragged on for minutes. As he sat there waiting, Kiran could hear occasional deep booms from the east. Fighting was underway somewhere over there. At least someone was resisting despite the lack of orders. He wasn’t sure if that was a comforting thought.

Finally, his headset crackled back to life, Birds 1 and 2, I have a new mission for you. Well, two missions actually.

Kiran could hear a ruffling of papers and a muffled voice shouting, To hell with the Fighters. We’ve probably already lost the airfield anyhow. I want your best techs on that Shadowhawk. Do what you have to.

Her voice came back to the microphone, Bird 1, I am sending you to run point with a convoy of techs and light vehicles. I need you to secure the complex and Ancy Mountain and get me my comms back. And you, Bird 2, Sergeant umm here we go. Sergeant Kiran Loren was it?

“Yes sir,” Kiran replied.

I’m sending you with a column of Shreks and Badgers to ascertain the situation at the starport and fight a delaying action. We’re probably severely outgunned. Don’t do anything stupid. That Raven’s worth more than you are.

“Understood, Captain. Bird 2 will take no chances,” Kiran replied.

Already, his mind was lost in numbers and calculations. He pulled up a tactical map on a nearby screen. The city was over two thousand kilometers squared and made up of hundreds of skyscrapers and high rises. It was laid out like a large checkerboard. The armored column that he would accompany was made up of two 80 ton Shrek PPC carriers and ten 30 ton Badger Troops transports. A good chunk of the entire city garrison.

The shreks came with triple PPC cannons and the badgers with three medium lasers and an SRM2 launcher each. In the battlefield of his mind, he arrayed the lighter vehicles in a wide ring around the Shreks as a screen for anti infantry and perimeter picket as they probed their way toward the starport.

On that note, the captain broke his train of thought. I’m looking at your sim scores here and...it seems you’re a bit of a tactical savant.

Genius, actually, his sister noted with a snide tone.

“I wouldn’t go that far,” Kiran protested.

The false humility is duly noted, LT,  the captain replied.

“Begging your pardon, captain. It’s sergeant,” Kiran replied.

Not anymore it’s not. I’m granting you a battlefield commission of second lieutenant. I’m putting you in command of the column.

“Thank you, captain. I’ll-”

Let me stop you right there, the captain’s voice interrupted him. I don’t need your thanks. Just your talent. If you pull out of this with a win, then you can thank me. A light mech and an armored column with no real intel isn’t likely to stop whatever comes pouring out of that Union class dropship, so be smart and don’t waste your lives in foolish action.

One last thing, she continued. I’m giving you both call signs for the duration. Bird 1, your new designation is Lappet. Bird 2, yours is Harpy. Now, you have your orders. Move out.

« Last Edit: 17 December 2019, 12:02:50 by Xbwalker »

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 17 December 2019, 04:06:23 »
By the way the Fury is only a small DS carrying 2 light vehicle lances and 4 infantry platoons.
You might want to try a Triumph or Condor if you want a large invasion force.
Look on sarna if your not sure. :beer:
Growing up is optional.

Xbwalker

• Recruit
    • My Books
« Reply #15 on: 17 December 2019, 12:03:36 »
By the way the Fury is only a small DS carrying 2 light vehicle lances and 4 infantry platoons.
You might want to try a Triumph or Condor if you want a large invasion force.
Look on sarna if your not sure. :beer:

Fixed to Triumph and yeah I did check Sarna. For some reason, in my head I saw fury holding battalions. Not sure why haha. It's fixed. Good lookin out!

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 17 December 2019, 18:11:42 »
By the way to finish up with captcha just comment on a few posts, once you reach 10 no problems. :thumbsup:
Growing up is optional.

Xbwalker

• Recruit
    • My Books
« Reply #17 on: 18 December 2019, 12:02:27 »
You mean...

Xbwalker

• Recruit
    • My Books
« Reply #18 on: 18 December 2019, 12:02:49 »
Like this?

lol actually it's gone. Maybe an admin took pity on me.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #19 on: 18 December 2019, 22:12:41 »
Eh, one more post and you're clear for good...

Register