Author Topic: The Murder Hobos in: Injustices.  (Read 2114 times)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
The Murder Hobos in: Injustices.
« on: 27 February 2020, 14:13:10 »
"What do you want?"  the shadow blocking the sun asked. 

"I want help."  the woman said.  Her arms ached in their spread-eagle position, the drying filth on her body combined with a deeper, duller ache. 

the stranger knelt over her, and the cords binding her wrists were cut.

"What do you want now?" he asks.  up close, the man is middle-aged, but with a youthful face.  His hair was barely shaved where the contacts of a neurohelmet would connect, and his beard was slightly scruffy, and well maintained.

She could barely move, and he extended a hand, a small kindness, helping her to her unsteady feet as her lower body chafed and ached.

she could see the kibbutz now that she wasn't lashed to the front of the ruined agromech.

the buildings were cracked, cratered, smoking, and bodies lay everywhere.

she felt tears fill her eyes as she relived the last twenty four hours.

"I..I..."

the strange man was oddly calm.  "Would you like some water?" he asked, as if the words were strange to him-his cadence was odd, off, disjointed.

she nodded.

He unbuckled a clip, and gave her water.

"I-i-s th-here anyone else?" She asked.

"Just my friends and I.  What do you want?" He asked.

She realized he was a mercenary, here somehow, after Bingman's Bandits had already hit them, had their fun, and fled.

"I can't pay much." she said, "i'm sorry..."

"Would you like revenge?" he asked.

anger surged through her, mixed with grief.  she nodded.

"What can you pay?" he asked.

She knew where her father kept a stash of c-bills, if it were still there... she led him to the house, or rather,t he ruins of the house.  in the dooryard, she pried at a stone, lifting it.  "It isn't much..."

three hundred C-bills, and a locket.  dating to the 18th century.

He accepted half the money, and flicked a knife open, "Finger?"

she extended a finger, he cut the tip, and held up a contract, "Sign here, use the blood." he told her.

she felt her anger guide her hand.

she didn't even read the contract.

"You will have vengeance on the men who did this." He said, "I assure you.  Your pay is good...would you like a job?"
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: The Murder Hobos in: Injustices.
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2020, 16:19:32 »
She couldn't grasp it at first, with nowhere to go, and as the 'client', she expected the mercenaries to take her money, and leave.  They did this-with her aboard their dropship.

up close, she could see a certain...commonality among the men and women of this mercenary unit. 

Their eyes.  It was their eyes.  They were as dead as doll's eyes, no matter what expression the face had, the eyes were without it.  a ship filled with thousand yard stares, and the only animated conversations revolved around the plans for the target. 

a young-looking man showed her to her quarters.  "Rest well, ma'am, and be sure, we're going to kill every last one of them." he said it in the same tone one might hear 'good night' or 'good morning' from a professional Host.

The trip to the nadir point was just...like that.  Their cooks were as cold as the rest, as if something vital had been taken from their souls.

"It'll be great, you'll see.  The boss has a plan."  Her host's name, she eventually learned, was Jeremy.  "We'll kill every one of them..but first, gotta make a stop."

Discontinuity

In the dream, she stood on a wooden ship  surrounded by the dead.  Dead faces, her lost family among them, stood on the shore, watching.  in the dream, she looked upon herself, and saw the fires licking from her skin, the clawed, leathery skin that shouldn't be hers.

"you're one of us now, Gail."

she turned.

He stood with leathery wings, flame dripping from an overlength tongue, eyes alight with soemthing like joy.

discontinuity

"Tough jump?"  Jeremy asked her cordially as he wiped the sweat from her eyes.  Gail looked at her hands.  just my hands.

she couldn't fathom what made her look.

"Where are we stopping?"

"To pick up some gear, stuff the boss stashed for us." He smiled again, still his eyes were lifeless.  "You know, the first time I killed someone, it was a job."  the young man told her.  "You'll like it."
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2020, 19:54:23 »
"Tell me, do you fear death?"  :o :o :o

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2020, 20:01:01 »
The world they stop at, well....it had cities, once.

but that's not where she's being taken.  "Go on in." he tells her. 

Steel doors in the side of a mountain, gaping like a the broken jaws of a long-dead monster.  she walks in.

it's dark, she doesn't really think about objecting.  something is drawing her forward.

Her penlight reveals peeling paint and musty, fungal stained corridors.  deeper she goes.

the doors have labels, but those are so corroded as to be illegible.  crumbling plaster piled on the floor suggests a drop ceiling was once here.

Nuclear Ordnance

the door to this room is ajar, but she feels no urge to enter.  she shines a light, revealing row after row of empty cradles.

a bit further on, Biowarfare Research.  The door is closed, sealed, the window fogged with age.  She tries the handle and it doesn't open.

Oh well.  Gail continues downward, through a maze of corridors, passing offices, and laboratories, sleeping areas with rotting blankets and the mouldered bones of long dead personnel.

Art***c*al  *n*e**i*ence Research and development

long dead chassis and frames, scorched and shot with holes crowd the room.  a pile of machined parts is wrapped around the rags and bones of some long-dead soldier.

nothing here.  she moves deeper.

the doors simply say No Access without Clearance.

she pushes the doors open, past a vacant guard station.

her penlight dies...but she can see.

diagrams on the walls and ceiling of an improbably huge place.  a musty smell of sulphur and carbon in the air, like someone has been burning a fire.

There is something in the middle of the room, and it hurts to look at it.

but she can't look away from the shape, as her memories play on the walls.  the screams, the fires, the blood...and the bandit soldiers who used her, displayed meters tall on every surface, her pain, the way the pirates had laughed as their leader did unspeakable things to her children before her eyes-and she remembered it.

"What do you want?"

"I WANT REVENGE!!!" she screamed.

The contract is signed, the payment is made. You will have your revenge.

she felt it.  like her breath being drawn out of her body, to be replaced by fire.

the symbols blazed, and when they faded, a door on the far side opened.

daylight came in, revealing a machine.  a beautiful machine, made for the task at hand, armored and armed.  two six-tube missile racks on the torso, a pair of PPC's, one to each arm, and she knew this machine, knew it was for her.  That it would respond to her, and her alone.

as she walked up on the death machine, it lowered itself onto one knee, and extended a weapons-housing with hand actuator, she stepped up, onto the hand's palm, and it lifted her to the cockpit, where she knew a Neurohelmet awaited her.

she donned it. 

"I have known terrible things, and I seek terrible things, because no-one should feel what I feel." she recited.

the panels lit, the machine responded to her.

she walked out, to join her Unit. 

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2020, 20:08:07 »
"The terms are simple enough, really." Jefferson said as Gail sat down.  "we hunt down the prey for you, and you become part of the unit until the balance of the contract's fulfilled."

Part of him remembered a time he would have liked her.  it was a long time ago.  she was pretty enough, and even after her initiation, she still had a certain...special quality of something like innocence.

"How long is that?" she asked him.

"It's indefinite." He says, "I've seen guys leave the unit before-nobody deserts, but contracts do end.  Mike must've thought there was something special about you though."

"I can't imagine what, besides knowing how to drive a 'mech already."

Jefferson chuckled.  you have no idea

"How long have you been with the unit?" she asked.

It was an awkward question.  "I'm not sure." he says, "The decades kind of blur into each other, it becomes mission-to-mission.  You stop counting days."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2020, 20:10:46 »
Nanites… it's got to be nanites...

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 01 March 2020, 00:28:31 »
The first stop is intelligence gathering.  IN this case, in the Tortuga Dominions. 

Yep, Pirate Central.  Jefferson called it 'breaking Gail's Cherry'.  The operation's about gathering intel, and intel ops funded with scrap and cash tend to be more effective than funding with blood, or that's what Mike told us.

Stepping off the dropship without my 'mech was an experience.  "You'll get used to it." Jefferson told me.

what's the experience i'll get used to? try seeing people highlighted in yellow, blue, or red outlines and leaving 'tracers' behind them like the galaxy's worst acid-trip.

Jeff's sticking with me to help me get used to seeing things the way the rest of the hobos see things.  "the red tracers are hands-off." he tells me.  Most of them are wearing some form of restraint.  Slaves taken from other planets.

"and yellow?" I mutter back.

"could turn either way.  see a green, let me know.  we can usually get away with having fun with greens."

we pass a building  that the whole damn place is outlined in red.

"Uh...so what's that?" I mutter to him, gesturing at the structure.

"eh, looks like a church, don't go in one." he tells me, "Gets pretty rough on you if you do go into one that hasn't been...prepped ahead of time. weird to see one intact out here."

"Why?"

"These aren't exactly godly people." he mutters back.

"There's a green." I lean in to tell him, and gesture at a green-outlined form near an alleyway.

"hmmm..." he studies the guy without looking too hard.  "Go ahead, do what comes naturally, the local enforcers are three blocks up the street.  Have some fun."

I sidle my way through the crowds, mostly being ignored.

"...boys, girls! fresh flesh!" the man is hawkign, and now that I can see down the alley, I see cages filled with red outlines, some bright, some weak, a few edging to yellow.

but the seller's green.

as are two more men.

"Fresh flesh, would you like a dame, a sir? these are proper broken in, a pleasure to own and a pleasure to use." his tone is lascivious.  I discover I can estimate the ages of his...'product'.  most of them are children.

none from my colony.

"hmmm..." I say, and my hand palms a knife unconsciously, "How much for that one?" I ask  him, pointing in a general direction of a person I estimate to be somewhere between seven and eight years old, with a particularly bright red aura.

he turns, and I cut his kidneys with two quick stabs, while taking the sidearm from his belt and delivering one shot each to his comrades.

the jolt is pure pleasure, more because I can feel the energy surging from the dead men into me, like an orgasm.

killing green is orgasmic.

Jefferson catches up when I pop the two bully boys.  "Nice work. let's get rid of the bodies."

"What about these kids?" I ask him.

"taking them on means a contract extension, you want that?" he asks.

"um..."

"Okay, if you don't I'll take the hit, none of these are connected to the current contract." He explains, "They're not trade goods, but you should ask for something or the boss will get cross."

"Gimme your chains." I say, unlocking a kid.

"Clever. I've used that one myself-back n the day.  Mike won't have a problem with it." He tells me.  "Any pay is good pay, and we can resell the cages and chains for scrap rates."

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #7 on: 01 March 2020, 13:24:45 »
Wow, this is a switch.  nicely written, thanks for sharing.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 02 March 2020, 13:15:08 »
Wow, this is a switch.  nicely written, thanks for sharing.

in case you haven't caught on, Mike and his Murder Hobos are player-characters transposed from an MMO property straight into a 'reality' of Battletech, where you gain power through "Experience Points".  aka killing people, things,and stuff.

yes, Powergamer characters as designed by a AAA videogame studio brought to 'life' by some weird magical outcome-but not self-insert.  these are the CHARACTERS.

Why "Murder Hoboes"?  Have you played an online MMO lately?  say, like Star Trek Online, where you either kill kill kill, or sit there doing minigames to level up in order to kil-kill-kill faster?

Here's a few things to know then:

1) You can easily distinguish player characters from NPC's, and easily distinguish "Killable" NPC's from "No Kill" NPCs, goals are highlighted even when the text says 'search for' or hunt for, and of course, gaining XP feels good-it's positive reinforcement.

Gail (starter character with a blurry, indistinct background) just leveled up by killing those hapless targetable NPCs.  No consequences, because she's a Player Character.  If she'd set her in-game alignment to 'evil' she couldn't have killed the kids, because they're 'non targetable NPC's'.  (The patch was made to the game after Marketing said you can't get a rating below 'Adult' if players can murder children...which just won't fly, so the patch was made early.)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #9 on: 02 March 2020, 18:15:06 »
LOL... nanites confirmed...  :D

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 04 March 2020, 02:06:27 »
 8) :thumbsup:
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"