Author Topic: Marik Commonwealth secondary languages  (Read 2227 times)

El Kostlivec

• Private
Marik Commonwealth secondary languages
« on: 29 January 2012, 09:48:41 »
Hello. Handbook: House Marik states that secondary languages in Marik Commonwealth are Czech, Slovak and Romanian, with Marik family having czech roots. But Time of War sub-affiliations include just Slovak and Romanian as secondary language. Is it intentional that Czech language is not mentioned as secondary language there?

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Re: Marik Commonwealth secondary languages
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2012, 01:08:18 »
Hello,

Czech isn't as popular now that the Marik family's star has fallen?

Hopefully, that helps.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

El Kostlivec

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2012, 11:54:41 »
Thank you for your reply.
I thought that both products are written in same time period in mind, but I understand the point.
I guess less popular doesn't mean extinct so I would like to ask last question regarding this topic: is it possible to have character with Czech cultural roots in (former) FWL during post-Jihad and lated Dark age?

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 06 February 2012, 20:14:55 »
Hello,

Actually, Handbook: House Marik is written from the perspective of 3067, mere months before the start of the Jihad, when house Marik was the powerhouse that held the Free Worlds together and united.

Field Manual 3085 takes place in, well, 3085. This is the aftermath of the Jihad, which effectively destroyed the unity of the Free Worlds and basically underscored how thoroughly played House Marik was in all of it. And, no, while the Marik family may speak Czech sometimes, by no means has the language gone extinct. The Marik-Stewart Commonwealth merely switched to other languages for trade, business, and political relations. (If we really posted every single language that is spoken on any given world--much less in any given realm--in the BattleTech universe, it would be a much shorter list to say what's NOT spoken.

So, yes, you can have Czech-heritage characters in Marik space.

Hopefully, that helps.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

El Kostlivec

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2012, 12:34:07 »
Again, thank you for quick reply, your answer is very helpful to me.