Author Topic: Warship Arms Race III  (Read 3326 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Warship Arms Race III
« Reply #30 on: 14 February 2024, 18:02:56 »
That rule sounds custom made for early runners like the Lothians! :)

And don't expect the Lothians to run in the same direction they did in canon... ;)

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
  • Is this the real life...
« Reply #31 on: 14 February 2024, 19:54:49 »
I have a list of who has expressed an interest an what power they would play if they have chosen a specific faction in the first post. If you have any updates, please let me know.
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84031.0

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #32 on: 14 February 2024, 19:57:08 »
I just need to know the minimum number of Snowdens I need to escape with... ;)

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: 14 February 2024, 21:57:52 »
Yeah.  Hauling leopards on-board as swarm landing craft makes a kind of sense.  In the last game, my (NPC) faction used Small Craft like Higgens Boats - sure; they are comparatively fragile, but cheaper to haul along and much less risky that stuffing a whole battalion in an Overlord!

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #34 on: 15 February 2024, 01:33:37 »
I'm not that picky about my faction tbh. Snakes.... RimJobs.... Purple Eagles... whatever is left is good :)

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: 15 February 2024, 01:42:36 »
Dammit.  Im getting tempted.  Do we have an official map?

GermanSumo

• Sergeant
« Reply #36 on: 15 February 2024, 12:23:27 »
I just need to know the minimum number of Snowdens I need to escape with... ;)

put me down for RWR or Amaris Empire, pls. :D

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #37 on: 18 February 2024, 22:29:19 »
What's the SitRep like for the Starting Faction?

Like are we having a Turn 0 budget, or do we get a JS and some DropShuttles each?

If so, may I suggest a Conestaga and DropShuttles? (Mingo specifically.)

Also, would we be using the MUL as the official sheet, along with Homebrew designs?

Thanks,
TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: 19 February 2024, 00:11:16 »
I plan on a turn zero with no warship construction. My current thought is that the spreadsheet from the previous Arms Race will be used, but it should only effect dropshuttles, so if you are not using dropshuttle bays, and for other units, MML will be used.
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III

Gorgon

• Warrant Officer
  • The little duchy that could
« Reply #39 on: 19 February 2024, 04:53:16 »
I though it over and would like to claim the Free Worlds League. But the Capellans or oven the Illyrian Palatinate would be fine, too.
Jude Melancon lives!

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 19 February 2024, 15:45:59 »
If we have the Tech Tree, when will the Droppers show up, do we assume standard buying in R&D? Or do they just become available after the first time a neighbor develops them? Are there going to be any Free items in the way of every Regional Capitol Planet gets a Colony Ship? Like the Conestaga and Mingo combo?

The big major Faction Houses, could have their Aquilla and such, but us little fish, need all the help.

(I remember I had to fight my budget, to even get any gains. I'd like to ratify that this turn, if possible.)

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: 19 February 2024, 18:16:03 »
If we have the Tech Tree, when will the Droppers show up, do we assume standard buying in R&D? Or do they just become available after the first time a neighbor develops them? Are there going to be any Free items in the way of every Regional Capitol Planet gets a Colony Ship? Like the Conestaga and Mingo combo?

The big major Faction Houses, could have their Aquilla and such, but us little fish, need all the help.

(I remember I had to fight my budget, to even get any gains. I'd like to ratify that this turn, if possible.)

TT

If dropship sizes are part of the tech tree again, which as of right now they probably are, then they have to be researched same as any other tech. I don't really plan on their being free items, that's partially what Turn 0 is for to set up properly before the game proper starts.
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #42 on: 19 February 2024, 18:43:36 »
Since Angelina Logan doesn't leave the Concordat until 2691, what should I do between 2300 and then? :)

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: 19 February 2024, 19:31:14 »
Since Angelina Logan doesn't leave the Concordat until 2691, what should I do between 2300 and then? :)

Personally I’d say just split off those basic systems to start… but that’s just my opinions

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: 23 February 2024, 20:50:01 »
As I move forwards in preparing for this, I have a request for everyone. You will all be playing the succession of chief admirals of your respective states, and would of reached your positions for a variety of different reasons. But one reason is likely the most prominent. Is your starting admiral a tactical genius? A strategic mastermind? A logistical wizard? A skilled trainer? Well connected with the various movers and shakers of your state? Or something else?
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #45 on: 23 February 2024, 21:00:02 »
My guess is Angelina Logan's husband, a former Commodore-level equivalent in the Taurian Navy... ;)

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #46 on: 23 February 2024, 22:12:14 »
I am actually thinking of the Outworld's Alliance's Admiral as one that saw trade as the best avenue for peace with the Inner Sphere. It did this by incentivizing the Kukk Trading Company to form a consortium with the United Outworlders Company and granting them a trade monopoly (and favorable subsidies for exploration and exploitation of the new colony worlds). So rather than build an offensive fleet (at first) the OAN starts out with 'East Indiamen' like armed corporate ships (and privateers).

Thus logistics is CEO Amadeus Kukk's game and he didn't (doesn't) like the Star League, Draconis Combine, or Federated Suns infringing on the Alliance's rights, but it does like their money.

FastConcentrate8

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #47 on: 23 February 2024, 22:34:14 »
As I move forwards in preparing for this, I have a request for everyone. You will all be playing the succession of chief admirals of your respective states, and would of reached your positions for a variety of different reasons. But one reason is likely the most prominent. Is your starting admiral a tactical genius? A strategic mastermind? A logistical wizard? A skilled trainer? Well connected with the various movers and shakers of your state? Or something else?
A little bit of two of them.

He's a Davion, but is militarily skilled though tends to delegate logistics to others.

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #48 on: 23 February 2024, 22:51:51 »
Who is playing which factions?  (And hence which faction needs someone to play?)

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: 23 February 2024, 23:37:03 »
Im still waffling in my head about playing and wondering if we have a starting map.

If I play, my Admiral is (shocking noone) a skilled Administrator and Logistician. :)

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #50 on: 24 February 2024, 00:16:33 »
Ah, the first post has who's who.  The current missing set is CC, DC, TC, UHC, and  MoC.  Of these, CC and DC seem the most critical to the game.  I did CC previously, so I'm inclined towards DC.

My admiral will be a skilled scaling systems designer.

(I remain flexible about which faction, so if someone else really wants DC, happy to cede for something else.)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #51 on: 24 February 2024, 03:52:22 »
Never mind... didn't see your post on the next page.  Nothing to see here!

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 24 February 2024, 11:16:12 »
I'll be playing the ever-lovable Lord Grand Admiral Kortan, a position of power. So, might makes right and the use of overpowerin' lightnin' force upon weaker opponents and such. Because oppressors need to be punished for crimes against the Periphery! What's a bit of pillaging between friends?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Gorgon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #53 on: 24 February 2024, 14:36:53 »
High Commissioner of the Navy Vice Admiral Fatima Ramona Allison-Montecuccoli
was an officer of the Oriente Federal Naval Forces prior to the founding of the Free Worlds League and her transfer to the newly-founded Free Worlds Leauge Navy. Her level-headedness and excellent skills in team coordination and integration saw her appointed senior naval coordinator when the Stewart War broke out in 2293. (Good political connections didn't hurt either - she is married to Fernando Allison, a second cousin of the Duke of Oriente). Vice Admiral Allison Montecuccoli performed remarkably well, coordinating the forces of Regulus, Marik and Oriente to great efficiency. The resulting deceisive naval victory hastend the end of the campaign and earned Allison-Montecuccoli much admiration among the League's Parliament.

When Parliament voted to further integrate the military commands of the three member states and create a permanent federal military command, Vice Admiral Allison-Montecuccoli was the natural choice in heading up the creation of the Free Worlds Navy from the naval forces of the Marik Commonwealth, the Federation of Oriente and the Principality of Regulus.

As the 24th century dawns, High Commissioner Allison-Montecuccoli has successfully established a unified naval service for the Free Worlds League. She sees the development of a federal navy not only as a means of protecting the League, but also as a political tool to further the integration of the young nation. Much of her time is spent handling parliament and the still-existing individual naval commands of the member states. She is convinced that the FWLN needs to expand to secure the League's independence and prosperity, but also to built a new naval tradition independent of the hodgepodge of experience and personnel inherited from its predecessors.
« Last Edit: 24 February 2024, 20:23:32 by Gorgon »
Jude Melancon lives!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #54 on: 24 February 2024, 14:39:40 »
Given all that, I'd have expected her to be promoted to full Admiral... :)

Gorgon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #55 on: 24 February 2024, 14:53:12 »
Given all that, I'd have expected her to be promoted to full Admiral... :)

It seemed cheaper to give her a political office than a promotion at that time  :grin:
Jude Melancon lives!

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 24 February 2024, 15:32:15 »
Even though I’m playing the LC I am not going to immediately dive into the Steiner trope of Social Admirals or Generals

My commander (name unknown) will be a competent commander, enough the ride to the top on ability, if uninspiring commander. They’re not likely to come up with a brilliant plan but just solid tactics and strategy. I can’t think of a good comparison atm. Just solid work effort over several decades.

Also @Gorgon: your first date lists 2993… a good six hundred years on the future lol

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #57 on: 24 February 2024, 15:48:33 »
@Gorgon...

Great the big bad, stupid, Byrd has reared its ugly head.

Time to go a'huntin I say... here chickee chickee chickee...

:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Gorgon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #58 on: 24 February 2024, 16:42:25 »
@Gorgon...

Great the big bad, stupid, Byrd has reared its ugly head.

Time to go a'huntin I say... here chickee chickee chickee...

:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

TT

Y'know, you could save all of us (mostly you, really) a lot of trouble and heartache if you would simply consider becoming a member state of the League. Bully your neighbors if they show weakness, send delegates to senate (well, parliament, same difference). you'll hardly notice the change. We even let you wear your funny little togas on Atreus! Who knows, it might even catch on...

(...you faux-roman wacko)
Jude Melancon lives!

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #59 on: 24 February 2024, 16:54:41 »
Admiral Hei Yu of the Capellan Confederation Navy is a skilled trainer and logistician, tactics and strategy are details that can be worked out once the navy is actually capable of fighting someone.

Register