Author Topic: City Blocks - Sized for BattleTech Hexmaps  (Read 15670 times)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: City Blocks - Sized for BattleTech Hexmaps
« Reply #60 on: 18 October 2017, 18:53:01 »
Pay at the parking kiosk when you visit Hannah & Sons, Dry As You Wait Cleaners, Marion's House of Pets (any Cuddle Bears in stock?), Hebray's Place, and the Money Store. 
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #61 on: 18 October 2017, 18:57:38 »
The Henkel Museum of Art might be a reference to South African artist Irmin Henkel.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #62 on: 18 October 2017, 19:00:54 »
Highley tower, at 21 stories, is certainly high.  It adjoins the Sutherland Group Insurance Building, the Manchester Hotel, and the Arthur St. Garage. 

I once tried to put a Striker up on the top of the garage for a better shot.  It spent seven turns driving slowly (to avoid control rolls on pavement) up to the top, and then when it got there, it found the 'Mech it had wanted to shoot at the base of the building kicking its supports out.  The structure collapsed before the Striker could get back down. 

(In retrospect, I shoulda just driven off the edge and tried to Death-From-Above the sucker with a wheeled light tank.)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #63 on: 18 October 2017, 19:03:58 »
Meanwhile, far from the sparkling office towers of midtown, we come to Honest Gary's Used Cars.  What will it take to put you in this pre-owned Charger today?

For the less budget-minded, there's Price's Fine Autos.  For the "drink until your cognitive ability parallels the missing-link"-minded, there's Ogg's Pub.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #64 on: 18 October 2017, 19:05:54 »
New York's International Building is famously fronted by a three-story statue of Atlas holding up the globe.  (Or, in this case, a statue of Hanse Davion sneaking off with a Capellan planet...)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #65 on: 18 October 2017, 19:11:58 »
The ITT building is another soaring office tower in real-world Manhattan. 

At one point, I tried to 3D model some of these buildings - building up the floors with pink styrofoam (available cheap in large sheets from Home Depot and carvable with a HotWire).  The low-rise city blocks actually looked pretty good, but the skyscrapers were pointless.  I think the tallest I made was 25 stories - over 2' at 1" per floor.  Those were impressive eye candy from a distance, but became a hassle once gameplay actually started, and were so high that there was no chance of anyone getting a combat unit up there. 

(One guy at Historicon did get his Venom up to the 13th floor of a building by hopping from rooftop to rooftop, but that just made him a target for everything else on the board, and his flaming wreckage soon rained down on the streets below.)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #66 on: 18 October 2017, 19:14:48 »
The Julian Ward Howe school seems to (almost) be named for the author of the Battle Hymn of the Republic - Julia Ward Howe.  Typo or gender-swapped alternate reality?

Alongside are the Texas Arms and some town houses.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #67 on: 18 October 2017, 19:25:26 »
The junkyard is an odd blending of art - from two different map sets (Secret Wars II on top, Avengers Coast to Coast on the bottom).  Look at the detail that went into the SW2 junked cars, compared to the bare bones (and out of scale) wrecks on the ACTC map.  For this reason, the ACTC and Webs maps are the two weakest - with far less detail and creativity than the ones from the Basic Set; Advanced Set; New York, New York; Fault Lines; and Secret Wars II. 

(Those original ones essentially made a five map + shaped grid.  The maps from "Webs", ACTC, and an X-Men box filled in three of the four corners.)

Roger Moore's Barbershop is almost certainly a S.H.I.E.L.D. front, since the entrance to SHIELD's underground HQ was through a barber shop in the 60s and 70s comics, and Roger Moore is known for playing super spy 007. 

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #68 on: 18 October 2017, 19:51:49 »
The Kaverian Motel is a good close-up on the quality slippage from the core five to the final three maps.  The roof vents on earlier maps were drawn to show the angled fan blades recessed inside the housing.  These are much more abstract (circle, x, +, done!), and the inkers didn't even bother to color the chimneys black on the interior.  The clusters of tiny shops that gave the early blocks character are mostly replaced by much larger buildings with fewer features. 

Notably, the last three maps came out when TSR was being run by Lorraine Williams, the Buck Rogers heiress who forced Gary Gygax out and spent most of her tenure cutting costs, laying off staff, pushing out untested products with sometimes questionable production quality, and trying to milk the Buck Rogers property for a few more bucks.  (She reputedly hated games and gamers - not a great fit for CEO of TSR.)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #69 on: 18 October 2017, 19:55:25 »
The Keash Mall, by contrast, is a very nice piece from the Advanced Set map.  Note that the artist even shaded it to show late morning shadows.  The mall is anchored by Mogul's and J.P. Arson's department stores, and fronted by a Quikie Burger.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #70 on: 18 October 2017, 20:01:22 »
The Key Building, from the Basic Map, was a way to fit a guide to the various symbols used on the map without surrendering precious real estate that could be used for super hero brawls. 

It's attached to DSL Studios.  Probably nothing special there...except that DSL backwards is LSD.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #71 on: 18 October 2017, 20:08:27 »
They used the same trick on the "New York, New York" character roster book map, but on a smaller, dockside Key Industry Building.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #72 on: 18 October 2017, 20:17:21 »
Klaver Plaza has more Fisk Import Export Services offices (to go with Fisk Tower and the Fisk Spice Warehouse).  Whereas the first wave of maps generally remained generic (references to Fisk and Brand notwithstanding), those references were more frequent in the second wave, with numerous references to Stark, Fisk, and Brand properties, not to mention Four Freedoms Plaza.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #73 on: 18 October 2017, 20:19:49 »
The Krupp Building is a high-rise office tower.  I think it was a neat concept that it's flanked by One Angel Tower and Two Angel Tower, which are slanted, so that you could envision them as wings sprouting from the rear of the Krupp Building. 

The courtyard with the statue would also make a nice hiding spot for an ambushing UrbanMech.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #74 on: 18 October 2017, 20:23:47 »
The Bakersfield Eatery fronts the tightly packed Manchester Apartments.

The yellow triangles represent antennas.  It would be fun to give a Blakist team a localized Blackout mission - sweep through the city and take out as many communications antennas as you can, disrupting local coordination efforts and prepping the way for a full-scale Word assault.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #75 on: 18 October 2017, 20:35:14 »
The artist for the original maps (Dennis Kauth, who also did the Campaign Cartographer and D&D Gazeteer maps) clearly had a lot more time to put into the maps than the artist for this one, Stephen Sullivan. 

This is a desaturated version, since the original has a notable blue/green tinge (which you can still see in the master "the city" map at the start of the thread.)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #76 on: 18 October 2017, 20:38:15 »
I'm including the landmark buildings from the New York Campaign Box for completeness, but to my eye, the windows/doors are too big, the designs are blocky and lack detail, and the original color scheme (yellow/orange/brown/magenta) was garish.

This is based on the McGraw-Hill building - a major publishing house.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #77 on: 18 October 2017, 20:42:38 »
McKinley Park appears on four separate maps, explaining the different textures on the grass.  This one required a lot of photoshopping to look even close to aligned.  (Given the size, it will need to be posted in parts)

To me, the pond outline summons images of a blue rubber ducky.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #78 on: 18 October 2017, 20:43:03 »
McKinley Park, east side, representin'

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #79 on: 18 October 2017, 20:46:45 »
MegaMedia Productions (with its M-shaped pond) was intended to represent a major Hollywood studio.  (In the Secret Wars II comic, a frustrated writer gets his wishes granted, gets powers, and goes on a rampage against his bosses, MacBurgers, and pop culture in general.  By the time he's disarmed and returned to normal, he realizes he's destroyed both his own home and his place of work.)

I believe the mottled hue is due to a soda stain.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #80 on: 18 October 2017, 20:48:41 »
Metro Holding is a good objective raid target when you want to recover your unit's captured personnel before they get transferred to a more secure internment camp.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #81 on: 19 October 2017, 07:38:39 »
The Midtown Plaza Hotel looms over the Public Library next door.  The roof garden would be a nice place to stick a Thumper battery.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #82 on: 19 October 2017, 07:41:03 »
Not a shout out to BattleTech author Steve Mohan, but he'd be right at home in the Mohan Towers apartment building.  Local small businesses include a Currency Mart, the Heard's Words bookstore, and the We-Fix-It repair shop. 

I've got no clue what goods or services Sharon's White Rabbit might be selling.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #83 on: 19 October 2017, 07:50:09 »
There are a few accounts of local police departments taking on invaders in extreme circumstances (fighting the Clan Invasion on one world using SWAT teams and an UrbanMech, deploying in defense of Atreus City during the Jihad, etc.).  The Municipal Building serves as both a Precinct HQ for the police, and also a training academy. 

This makes it an excellent Objective Raid target for groups wanting to destabilize local centers of authority.  It also makes it a logical staging point for Copper-class SecurityMechs and other law-enforcement-related equipment from the Vehicle Annex.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #84 on: 19 October 2017, 07:56:50 »
The Museum of Science and Natural History sounds like a positive font of LosTech, for the motivated mercenary.  It adjoins the Hayes St. Library, the Crimson Ram Greek restaurant, and the Minute Bank (with the city's other Insti-Teller (TM) banking machine).

(A Google search for "Insti-Teller" only turns up one reference, from a 1986 Alabama newspaper, referring to ATMs as "Insti-Tellers"  Looks like TSR's legal department erred on the side of excess caution here.)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #85 on: 19 October 2017, 07:58:22 »
The Radio City Music Hall is now pleased to present....  The 'Mech-ettes!   (Cue 20 Vixens in line doing synchronized high-kicks)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #86 on: 19 October 2017, 08:05:49 »
A 'Mech in the center of this block has firing ports on all four sides and two ways to withdraw.  A nice nook surrounded by the High-De-Hole Bar, B. Deere Greeting Cards, Riedel's flower shot, the Niles/Arcade movie house, and the C&M Food Store.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #87 on: 19 October 2017, 08:07:08 »
Branding is a lost art in the slums of Old Town, if Swill's Liquors is any guide. 

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #88 on: 19 October 2017, 08:10:27 »
The Old Town Mall is densely packed with interesting little stores (nearly all of which invite armed robbery, befitting it being in a Marvel super hero game):  Diamond Resale Shop, Rings, Etc., Empire Bank, Currency Exchange, and Kim's Curios & Odd Antiques (Dr. Strange runs a tab here.) 

I presume Sandwich Queen is a lawyer-friendly distaff counterpart to Burger King.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #89 on: 19 October 2017, 08:14:19 »
The Oracle Industries Building construction site has a nice, deep pit.  Be fun to use it as a 'Mech trap with a dirt-covered tarp stretched over the top, and baiting a 'Mech into following you through the girder grid.

The artist here didn't even bother with drawing girders, and just drew a simple line-art grid.  I wish they'd been able to assign Dennis Kauth to all of the line's maps.

Register