Author Topic: Monbvol's AToW sheet and other related projects  (Read 39865 times)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: Monbvol's AToW sheet and other related projects
« Reply #120 on: 02 October 2013, 22:54:17 »
Unfortunately it is unlikely I will be making any further improvements to my sheet and without error reports I am unlikely to find and fix errors.

Battleclad

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #121 on: 06 October 2013, 13:32:07 »
Just a little aside but on the affiliations, I can see one you've missed. The Independent Principality of New Olympica, just a minor thing but hey might as well mention it.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #122 on: 06 October 2013, 17:01:42 »
Wasn't in any of my sources as a distinct affiliation.

I'm a bit mixed on the affiliation stuff.

I could replace my AU factions with additional canon affiliation data but at the same time I cringe at the kind of data entry that would require but that is all it would take to get those out of there and expand the usefulness of my sheet.

I'll see if I can make myself get to that since I did do a lot of alterations to my AU/house rule stuff that would require more than simple data entry to make work.

hive_angel

• Lieutenant
  • A, B, C, D, E, F, Guy ...
    • Send Three Squads To Help
« Reply #123 on: 06 October 2013, 17:17:31 »
I thought you fixed the AFF costs?

I have the age at 0 XP 5000 and Bank at 4150 which accounts for the starting 850 paid for the basics.

When I select an IS faction and a qualifying sub faction I don't see 150 deducted, but I see the skills being added.
Follow my blog for Battletech battle reports!

http://ststh.blogspot.com

Search for "Battle Report"

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #124 on: 06 October 2013, 17:31:54 »
Did you select a module as well?

Because the version I am working with doesn't distribute skills without also deducting affiliation XP cost if a module is set.

I did it this way so you could use the sheet a bit more easily for both point buy and module builds.

Now it is possible I manage to upload an older unfixed sheet thinking I was uploading the fixed sheet.  That will be easy enough to verify shortly.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #125 on: 06 October 2013, 19:01:21 »
Verified the sheet uploaded to Mediafire is operating as intended.

So only the mandatory XP is placed to start with until a module is selected or the user starts entering XP.

hive_angel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #126 on: 06 October 2013, 21:31:02 »
Okay I downloaded fresh from Page 1.

I open it up as is and select module 1 Back Woods which is 240, but should be 290. XP is down to 3910. Then I select FWL for an affiliation. XP is down to 3885. I select Marik Commonwealth a a sub. XP is down to 3760. I think the affiliation worked out, but the price for back woods is off.

Thoughts?

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #127 on: 06 October 2013, 22:21:14 »
The free XP of Back Woods is throwing off the cost.

Things that throw off module costs in my sheet because I have never figured out how to handle them correctly:

Free XP

choices between multiple options

and no good way to handle repeating modules while also following the rules

hive_angel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #128 on: 07 October 2013, 07:24:25 »
Ahh ok.

Perhaps we can work on a tab in the worksheet for notes like this and a simple ten step how to make a regualr and point by character.

I can start writing something and give to you or you add something and I'll walk it through testing. Love this sheet so I am glad to work on it.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #129 on: 07 October 2013, 10:06:39 »
If you would like to write a guide best I can do is toss it on my mediafire account or in a post here somewhere.  Possibly both.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #130 on: 07 October 2013, 13:38:31 »
Okay I was going through to update my character archive to the current version of my sheet and found a bit of a problem I could of sworn I had solved before.  I still have some left over calculation issues for determining skill XP to skill rank conversions.

So I'm going to have to dig in and make sure the math is returning the correct lookup columns now.

If anyone wonders why I'm getting soured on traits that modify skill XP to skill rank conversions this is why.

I also realized I may have to make a presentation adjustment to my skill XP to skill rank stand alone aide linked in the first post of this thread.  I may be assuming some traits are opposed that are not meaning I may have to add more combinations.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #131 on: 07 October 2013, 13:50:38 »
I did remember correctly which traits opposed which for my chart but did find some presentation adjustments I could make and a combination I did over look so I have corrected it and uploaded it to the first post of this thread.  So enjoy.

Now back to figuring out how to do the maths so I can return the correct column look ups so my sheet fully correctly supports all skill XP to skill rank conversions found in AToW.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #132 on: 07 October 2013, 15:52:33 »
Okay got it figured out.

It'll be up to the user to make sure the trait values are entered correctly but the sheet now works correctly for calculating skill XP to skill rank for all combinations of Fast Learner, Gremlins, Illiterate, Slow Learner, and Tech Empathy and correctly only applies the correct modifiers to the correct skills as far as I can tell.

Link should still be the same.

hive_angel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #133 on: 08 October 2013, 09:06:32 »
In reference to the Free XP which is not calculated. Is is possible to add a sheet which calculates how much Free XP is left over which your sheet cannot assign and what categories those Free XP have to go to? May not be able to calculate an overall total, but at least provide a breakdown of what is left.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #134 on: 08 October 2013, 10:04:44 »
I'll have a good think about how to pull it off.

The technical aspect is easy enough as I could just create a free XP table that also includes a lookup column for rules on how to spend it but how to present it will be something to think about.

Oh also spotted something else that needed fixing on my skill XP to skill rank chart found in the first post.  Uploading the fix here in a jiffy.

hive_angel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #135 on: 10 October 2013, 15:57:30 »
Have you added your latest edition containing the errors you found?

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #136 on: 10 October 2013, 16:25:37 »
Yeah it should be uploaded.

Bad habit of mine, I keep forgetting to clarify when I have actually uploaded a fix when I post before I upload the indicated fix.

I doubt anyone noticed the error since it took a bunch of traits being activated at the same time and said traits are ones players tend to not activate.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #137 on: 11 October 2013, 18:27:06 »
I just had a thought to make my life easier for cleaning up my sheet of my AU factions and getting alternate era support in there for factions.  It'll probably still take a while to implement since there is still tons of data entry to do and that still makes me cringe but progress!

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #138 on: 23 October 2013, 23:02:11 »
Just an update on my part real quick.

I've let myself get rather distracted as of late working on other things so I've not been making much in the way of progress in cleaning up my sheet and getting additional era support in there.  I'll try and get back to it soon.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #139 on: 24 October 2013, 23:55:17 »
Okay found another problem I could have sworn I already solved.

The table for looking up skill ranks bloated past the defined size for it and so there were some lookup issues because of it.

Like I said I could have sworn I had fixed that once already.  Fix has been uploaded.  Not much progress on cleaning things up and fully implementing the alternate era affiliation data since last update though I'm afraid.

hive_angel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #140 on: 25 October 2013, 08:21:50 »
Sounds good.

If you have a multi-era support is it better to place the different eras in seperate workbooks to not overload one workbook? You can always zip up multiples books for a download.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #141 on: 25 October 2013, 09:27:56 »
I would like to keep it all in one file if I can, especially since some eras don't actually change the affiliation data for some affiliations.  But I will have to be mindful of file size at the same time.  The sheet is already just shy of 10mb.  The good news is I doubt it'll get much bigger.  The bad news is I have poor willpower in facing down all that data entry.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #142 on: 20 December 2013, 13:43:12 »
I think I owe it to people to just say I've given up on any further refinement of this sheet.  It is not fair of me to keep any hopes up that I'll add/edit content.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #143 on: 18 January 2014, 09:08:22 »
As I said before new feature implementation has stopped.  There are errors in data entry for some affiliations that I'm just not going to correct(should be exclusively confined to alternate era affiliation selections).  But thanks to hive_angel an error in calculations for switching affiliations was discovered and snuffed out.

Enjoy the corrections.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #144 on: 04 February 2014, 22:37:07 »
Found and fixed another error on my own.

There was somehow a skipped line in bringing over information from the worksheet to the print page.  This caused a trait to not appear on the print sheet even if active.

Enjoy.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #145 on: 14 March 2014, 16:56:56 »
After last night's session with my gaming group I did come to the conclusion there was one thing I did need to absolutely change on my spreadsheet.  I needed to adjust how it displayed skill rank so that it was easier to see when a character was eligible for the Special Pilot Abilities or when issues of training came up.  So now it displays Total Rank with Link Attribute Modifiers(Base Skill Rank + Link Attribute Modifiers).  So for example if you have a Dex 7 Reflexes 7 Gunnery Mech 3 character it will display it as 5(3+2).

Enjoy.

matsci

• Recruit
« Reply #146 on: 24 March 2014, 17:03:42 »
Hey, Monbvol.

I've been thinking about starting up a AToW game, and found your sheet quite useful, though I have run into a rather sheetbreaking bug. For some reason, whenever I select a Field for my character, a bug adds the Lookup ID Number from the skill the XP of all my skills. This is rather silly. It might be becouse I am opening the sheet in LibreOffice, but everything else besides the Field cells works fine.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #147 on: 24 March 2014, 18:42:02 »
Weird.

It works fine in Open Office and I don't see anything wrong in how the formulas are implemented.

For now I'll suggest re-downloading it on the off chance something got screwed up in the first download you did but in the meantime I'll see if I can get Libre Office up and running to see if there is something going on there.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #148 on: 24 March 2014, 21:58:27 »
Okay after having to squash two viruses I'm officially giving up on trying to get Libre Office up and running for the time being.

I'm kind of stumped where the error could have come from though.  I've been over the formulas and nothing looks out of place.  *shrug*

matsci

• Recruit
« Reply #149 on: 25 March 2014, 12:32:42 »
Okay after having to squash two viruses I'm officially giving up on trying to get Libre Office up and running for the time being.

2 Viruses?  :o Where are you downloading LibreOffice from?

I'm kind of stumped where the error could have come from though.  I've been over the formulas and nothing looks out of place.  *shrug*

Thanks for looking into the problem, though. I just downloaded a copy of OpenOffice, and it seems to work fine with open office. It's probably a subtle difference in the way both programs handle lookup.

Register