Author Topic: Rebuilding light armor unit  (Read 5512 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Rebuilding light armor unit
« Reply #30 on: 27 May 2018, 18:49:44 »
I suppose swapping an SRM-2 for upgrading the LRM-10 to a 15 rack could work...

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #31 on: 27 May 2018, 18:55:25 »
Nope... other way around, out goes the AC/5 and upgrade your Launcher!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #32 on: 27 May 2018, 19:00:50 »
I meant trading the LRM-10 and 3 SRM-2s on the Saracen for the LRM-15 and 2 SRM-2s on the LRM Saladin... I'll have to wait until I get back to my 3026 to see where the other ton of difference is...

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #33 on: 27 May 2018, 19:37:20 »
I meant trading the LRM-10 and 3 SRM-2s on the Saracen for the LRM-15 and 2 SRM-2s on the LRM Saladin... I'll have to wait until I get back to my 3026 to see where the other ton of difference is...

If you mean the missile version Scimitar, the AC/5 and ammo is switched out for a LRM-15 and ammo (I'm assuming 2 tons to match the mass)...

Edit: In which case, I'd probably prefer them over Saracen's...more LRM's but one less SRM-2 and about a ton less armor...

Ruger
« Last Edit: 27 May 2018, 19:39:51 by Ruger »
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 27 May 2018, 19:59:09 »
Ruger~

Have you tried the Pegasus Sensor before?

I can see your Scout unit running a Pair of Pegasus, a single Sensor and a Missile variant.

Something like 7 SRM6, 2 SRM4 and 3 ML with 30 sensors...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #35 on: 27 May 2018, 20:14:47 »
Ruger~

Have you tried the Pegasus Sensor before?

I can see your Scout unit running a Pair of Pegasus, a single Sensor and a Missile variant.

Something like 7 SRM6, 2 SRM4 and 3 ML with 30 sensors...

TT

Nope...wasn't aware of that one...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #36 on: 30 May 2018, 05:11:28 »
Hey all, new/follow up question -

As the rebuild continues, there is the possibility of adding additional VTOL assets. Right now they have a total of 12 VTOL's (3 Pintos/3 Sprint/6 Warriors) that are more used for special missions.

What is being proposed is to add additional attack VTOL's to supplement the 4 companies of light armor. They have capacity for 12 more VTOL's, and the basic thought is to go with the Cavalry.

Good, bad idea? Include some Yellow Jackets maybe?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 30 May 2018, 07:06:46 »
What versions of the Warriors do they currently use?

If it's the C, then they've got it covered... but if their something else..

I'd go with H-10s! backed up with H-9s for gun support.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #38 on: 30 May 2018, 08:23:04 »
Right now they are running with modified 8's - removing the missile weapons for energy weapons, extra armor and TAG

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #39 on: 30 May 2018, 14:40:45 »
I am sure cannonshop will eventually weight in on his opinion of the Yellow Jacket but . . .

. . . the Hawk Moth is a better option, and the AC/5 Warrior is sufficient IMO.  Especially if you are modifying them, I just swap that AC for LBX since I want to send it hunting VTOLs or vehicles . . . but it can still load a slug as needed.

Which Sprints?  a few are great ELINT birds, I love them.  While the Pinto mini looks awesome, and the only VTOL I have . . . its not survivable compared to other VTOL options.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: 30 May 2018, 17:41:08 »
The only good Yellow Jacket is the Jihad-era PPC version which isn't available during your time frame, you'd pay for it up front (costs about as much as low-end Light 'Mechs) but fusion engine and energy weapon would save you some C-Bills on long-term campaign costs.  The rest are just too slow.

If they go the Hawk Moth and have a choice, the (armor) subvariant's preferable to the standard one, since it doesn't need 32 rounds of fire anyways.

If you're modifying things, removing the Pinto's weapons for a PPC would provide a decent fire support version with minimal changes, as an alternative to either the Hawk Moth or Yellow Jacket.  Alternatively, scrounging up some Cobra cargo VTOLs and retrofitting them with ERPPCs could be feasible.

The Cavalry's good.  The LRM variant is more survivable since it doesn't have to get up close, though the standard variant hits harder if you're willing to get closer.  Alternate ammo is a good idea for either case.

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #41 on: 30 May 2018, 23:21:17 »
I am sure cannonshop will eventually weight in on his opinion of the Yellow Jacket but . . .

. . . the Hawk Moth is a better option, and the AC/5 Warrior is sufficient IMO.  Especially if you are modifying them, I just swap that AC for LBX since I want to send it hunting VTOLs or vehicles . . . but it can still load a slug as needed.

Which Sprints?  a few are great ELINT birds, I love them.  While the Pinto mini looks awesome, and the only VTOL I have . . . its not survivable compared to other VTOL options.

They got the standard Sprint, with TAG and Beagle Active Probe.

I think we completely forgot about the Hawk Moth to be honest.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 02 June 2018, 12:44:38 »

There are two kinds of cost: acquisition cost, and upkeep cost that people look at normally.  There is a third, however.

The cost of "How often are  you replacing it?"

not how much it costs to replace, but how often you're going to be paying that replacement cost.

I'd personally go with the Cavalry (multiple variants) over either the Jellowbucket or the Hawk-Moth, because you'll be paying to replace it less often.

alternately, a mix of H-8's and H-10s combined with Cavalry variants and (if you can get them) Mantises.  This gives you fast recon and strike with a bit of troop movement to seize objectives or emplace infantry spotters.

why? YOu've already got better hovertanks than a Yellowjacket or Hawk-Moth, and a big-gun-duel with VTOLs is kinda...pointless unless you've got a flowing logistics train full of replacement airframes and pilots already in place to make up the losses you will take for trying that.

successful VTOL usage is 'stick and move', not 'stand and deliver'.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #43 on: 03 June 2018, 00:43:54 »
Eh, the Hawk Moth can cruise and use the superior range of the LGR as well as its ammo counts to avoid losses.  Big thing to remember is you are talking about combined arms . . . you want your skirmishers- hovertank cavalry & VTOL snipers to nibble on the armor of anyone who strays from the pack, which forces them closer together . . . so your artillery can drop into packs of the enemy mechs & armor.  If you have room and learn this well enough, it should be that no enemy force ever encounters yours with pristine mechs.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #44 on: 03 June 2018, 08:32:21 »
UPDATE -

Met with the 4 players yesterday and got a number of things figured out.

The light armor stays with the hovertanks. Each lance will be composed of a single Fulcrum, a Plainsman Scout and two Drillsons. The Plainsman Scout came in as they wanted the speed to match the Drillson, which the Pegasus is slightly slower.

The expanded VTOL unit will be composed of 8 Cavalry and 4 Warrior H8's. They are also getting 4 additional Ferret's as well. This was a merc unit that the players were able to convince to join them.

And in other news, their next contract will be a Planetary Assault. They are dropping on Epsilon Eridani as part of a AMC task force consisting of the 3rd Dismal Disinherited, Lindon's Battalion and Avanti's Angels. Defending is the Eridani Guards, Lone Star Regiment and an undetermined size WoB unit.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #45 on: 03 June 2018, 12:03:03 »
For a surprise you might also throw in the KWW Defense Team or whatever you want to call sitting at Kressly . . . fine builders of . . . Lineholders, Chimeras, Bandersnatches, Ostroc, and Titans for mechs while their vehicle lines are the Beagle, Lightning, Blizzard and Brutus.  Of course it also raises the question of how much Kressly wanted to be taken over by the Word of Blake . . .
Colt Ward

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #46 on: 03 June 2018, 16:10:45 »
For a surprise you might also throw in the KWW Defense Team or whatever you want to call sitting at Kressly . . . fine builders of . . . Lineholders, Chimeras, Bandersnatches, Ostroc, and Titans for mechs while their vehicle lines are the Beagle, Lightning, Blizzard and Brutus.  Of course it also raises the question of how much Kressly wanted to be taken over by the Word of Blake . . .

Definitely a good last point there. I'm not sure that's been mentioned anywhere in canon, but it's something I'm already thinking about.

Register