16 (15.5%)
Tragic Heroine
24 (23.3%)
Mediocre Character
22 (21.4%)
Shockingly Normal
33 (32%)

Total Members Voted: 103

Author Topic: !sis Marik: wench of princes, political pawn, or tragic heroine?  (Read 30137 times)

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
Re: !sis Marik: wench of princes, political pawn, or tragic heroine?
« Reply #30 on: 06 October 2011, 12:44:33 »
I know that, The Master ignored his own daughter to and allowed the Imposter the man who would become Thomas Halas to supplement his line on the FWL throne. It looks like he didn't care though.

Maybe he was just too busy looking for his pants at the time? (see the cover of JHS:FR)
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #31 on: 06 October 2011, 22:14:34 »
I have a feeling that after Sun Tzu abandoned her and her Fathers indifference, there weren't exactly a lot of suitors lining up.

I seriously doubt all of her potential suitors would've been so narrowly-minded. Regardless of her previous relationships, she has a personality and ability all her own, and I don't think the entirety of future potential suitors of nobility would be as concerned about such historical facts.
Wielder of the Dao of Sarnese Fiat. Member of the Capellan Holy Trinity. Holder of the 10 celestial point record in the "Little Black Book of Cappiedom." This community's ONLY truly devout Kali Liao-fan.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #32 on: 06 October 2011, 22:52:38 »
A pawn, I don't think she ever figured out that Sun Tzu used her as a cheese in a mousetrap and that her survival was contrary to plan.

She did. He told her. To her face.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #33 on: 07 October 2011, 01:23:07 »
Missed that one.
Shoot first, laugh later.

Cerberus_02

• Master Sergeant
  • I draw stuff for a miniatures company
« Reply #34 on: 07 October 2011, 08:12:26 »
I never did like Sun-Tzu all that much, but that scene sealed the deal for me; particularly given Isis's obvious feelings for him.
1st Battalion, 91st Royal Battlemech Regiment, 26th Light Brigade Combat Team, 61st Infantry Division, XXVII Corps, Eleventh Army, SLDF

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #35 on: 07 October 2011, 08:22:51 »

Like a pimp!

Seriously, though.  I've always read that as him making the breakup easier on her.  It's easier to get over someone you think is an ******.

Greyhind

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm Watching You
« Reply #36 on: 07 October 2011, 08:28:12 »
I voted mediocre. Multiple engagements isn't really shockingly normal by the standards of make believe royalty. The first three options all have a small ring of truth because her main role in the universe is to marry princes but that shouldn't have defined her life.

I'm not saying that she needed to be a patron of orphanages or a warrior but she would have been a better character if she had asked STL or VSD to spare some cash for her favourite theatre. As it is, she might as well be a brick.

Cerberus_02

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #37 on: 07 October 2011, 08:47:30 »
I've always read that as him making the breakup easier on her.
Except, you know, she truly loved him...
1st Battalion, 91st Royal Battlemech Regiment, 26th Light Brigade Combat Team, 61st Infantry Division, XXVII Corps, Eleventh Army, SLDF

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 07 October 2011, 10:20:16 »
Except, you know, she truly loved him...

If I loved someone, and they told me "I'm sorry, this just isn't working out/it's not you it's me/etc" I'd be devastated.  If they where a complete jerk about it, my reaction would more likely be "Whoa, glad I dodged a bullet there!"

My advice to friends who want to break up with someone but not make them feel bad has always been to be a complete jerk.  Nobody pines for someone who was a dick.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #39 on: 07 October 2011, 10:26:57 »
That might be believable if, you know, Sun Tsu actually cared about other people.

Also, I question how many relationships you've actually been in if you think that's true.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 07 October 2011, 10:46:05 »
That might be believable if, you know, Sun Tsu actually cared about other people.

Also, I question how many relationships you've actually been in if you think that's true.

Plenty.  Seen people on the recieving end.  Works like a charm.  Certainly better than the "Oh, I'm sorry" crap I always got.

As for the Chancellor, anyone who says he doesn't care for people doesn't know the first thing about Sun-Tzu Liao.  You may not agree with the way he acts on those feelings, but everything Sun-Tzu does is for the benefit of his people.
« Last Edit: 07 October 2011, 10:57:56 by MadCapellan »

Cerberus_02

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: 07 October 2011, 11:05:13 »
Nobody pines for someone who was a dick.
Except, you know, Sun-Tzu wasn't a dick to Isis.  So, yeah...

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 07 October 2011, 11:13:46 »
Except, you know, Sun-Tzu wasn't a dick to Isis.  So, yeah...

Most people would consider "Man, too bad you didn't die" to be a dick thing to say...

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #43 on: 07 October 2011, 12:22:49 »
And if you think that's that was enough to kill several years worth of feelings instantly, you're at best utterly naive.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Black Mist

• Sergeant
  • This IS the 'Nicer' side of the Confederation.
« Reply #44 on: 07 October 2011, 12:25:39 »
She and Omi got bored one day an-

BANNED!

I regret nothing!

>:( man, talk about bad taste!

I looked on Isis as someone that was trying to make a go with someone she truly cared about, but could not understand that he could not love her back without compromising his responsibilities. I voted tragic.

But then again since Chancellor=State, (and that most marriages for nobles are not from love) she should not have been expecting much else. Isis should have sent a thank you note to her step-mother.......flowers (from Victor Steiner-Davion of course)
When life gives you lemons:
(1)you sell the juice
(2)use that money to hire a lawyer
(3)suit the the person that dumped all those stupid lemons on you for all they are worth!

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 07 October 2011, 12:28:51 »
And if you think that's that was enough to kill several years worth of feelings instantly, you're at best utterly naive.

Instantly?  No, but a hell of a lot easier to get over, as she obviously did.

I doubt very much most people spend large amounts of time pining for people who desire their demise.
« Last Edit: 07 October 2011, 12:39:12 by MadCapellan »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #46 on: 07 October 2011, 12:36:31 »
She'd have gotten over it just as easily if he'd said "Isis, I love you, but as Chancellor I must marry based off the needs of my realm, not the needs of my heart."  As it was, all he did was rub salt in the wound.

Cerberus_02

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #47 on: 07 October 2011, 12:38:05 »
Most people would consider "Man, too bad you didn't die" to be a dick thing to say...
Except, you know, he wasn't a dick to her, prior to that statement.  So, yeah...

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 07 October 2011, 12:47:18 »
She'd have gotten over it just as easily if he'd said "Isis, I love you, but as Chancellor I must marry based off the needs of my realm, not the needs of my heart."  As it was, all he did was rub salt in the wound.

Hahahaha!  That wouldn't do the trick at all.  There'd always be that thought of "If only..." and "What could have been...."  Better to be put down hard and have no regrets.  It's simply selfishness to not want to be the bad guy, but some situations call for it.  Fear of confrontation has got to be in the top three causes of relationship problems...

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #49 on: 07 October 2011, 12:50:28 »
You honestly think that a brutal put-down doesn't cause regrets or might have beens?  You are naive.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 07 October 2011, 12:58:17 »
You honestly think that a brutal put-down doesn't cause regrets or might have beens?  You are naive.

Not if you've got any sense of self-worth.  Still having feelings for someone who wants you dead is looney Stockholm syndrome stuff.

Cerberus_02

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #51 on: 07 October 2011, 13:03:29 »
Still having feelings for someone who wants you dead is looney Stockholm syndrome stuff.
Except you're implying Isis is dumb enough not to understand political necessity.  It's not like she was unaware of her "father's" reluctance to end the engagement and move on to the wedding, among other things.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 07 October 2011, 13:16:09 »
Except you're implying Isis is dumb enough not to understand political necessity.  It's not like she was unaware of her "father's" reluctance to end the engagement and move on to the wedding, among other things.

Political realities don't change emotions.  The realization that someone isn't who you thought they were and wishes you ill does.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #53 on: 07 October 2011, 13:18:33 »
Not if you've got any sense of self-worth.  Still having feelings for someone who wants you dead is looney Stockholm syndrome stuff.

Human emotions are messy, unpredictable things that often are not at all what the person involved would want for themselves. Expecting Isis to just turn off her previous love for Sun-Tzu because he was a dick to her is unrealistic. People in real life go for years in relationships where the other person treats them poorly (even worse than what STL does to Isis) so why should we expect fictional characters to act as ideal specimens of human behavior?

Cerberus_02

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #54 on: 07 October 2011, 13:27:30 »
Political realities don't change emotions.  The realization that someone isn't who you thought they were and wishes you ill does.
Good of you to admit that Sun-Tzu suddenly acting like a dick at the end wasn't justifiable.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #55 on: 07 October 2011, 13:31:13 »
I guess I just don't expect Isis to be that unstable, is all.  I don't think much of her character, but she seems to have a strong sense of self-esteem from what I've read of her.
Good of you to admit that Sun-Tzu suddenly acting like a dick at the end wasn't justifiable.

No, it's perfectly justifiable.  Convincing her he was a dick was the best thing he could do for her.

Cerberus_02

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #56 on: 07 October 2011, 13:34:19 »
No, it's perfectly justifiable.  Convincing her he was a dick was the best thing he could do for her.
Going to have to agree with MLO4H; you are quite naive.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #57 on: 07 October 2011, 13:45:22 »
I guess I just don't expect Isis to be that unstable, is all.

How is it at all unstable to not be able to switch your emotions on and off like some kind of robot? That's not unstable, that's human.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #58 on: 07 October 2011, 14:14:24 »
Going to have to agree with MLO4H; you are quite naive.

Think what you will, but I'll stand by my statement.  Creating a facade of compassion for someone you ultimately desire to end your relationship with only generates misunderstandings, lingering attachment & disappointment.  In general, this "compassion" is not something someone does for the benefit of the person being let go, but is a selfish desire to relieve the guilt of the rejecting party.  It's far better to cut things off clean.  It's far more thoughtful to the rejected party.

How is it at all unstable to not be able to switch your emotions on and off like some kind of robot? That's not unstable, that's human.

For most of us, self-preservation is a dominant instinct.  If someone attacks you or, for example, wishes you dead, for myself, I make an immediate break with that person emotionally, and in my experience, many do the same.  Anyone who doesn't is bound for serious suffering.  My condolences to those who can't.

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: 07 October 2011, 14:26:37 »
It's far better to cut things off clean.  It's far more thoughtful to the rejected party.

Agreed. But I'm not sure why being a jerk is the only way to have a clean break. That seems rather limiting.

Register