Author Topic: Did BattleMech Manual (or the new AGoAC) change torso twisting?  (Read 2798 times)

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
Preamble: In every edition of BattleTech to date, you could only torso twist once per turn. In early editions this was it's own phase, in later editions it was part of weapons declaration.

But I've just heard from someone who attended BattleTech Bootcamp at GenCon, and he said that you can now torso twist one direction for weapons fire and then, later in the same turn, twist the other way to make physical attacks.

Question: The standard rule hasn't changed, right? You still declare torso twisting once, during the weapons phase, and you do not get to declare a new torso facing at any later point in the turn?

Followup: Anyone happen to know if the BattleTech Bootcamp uses some non-standard rules?
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Did BattleMech Manual (or the new AGoAC) change torso twisting?
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2019, 15:37:51 »
Functions as always, one twist per turn. Someone's just... i don't know what.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2019, 15:55:54 »
But I've just heard from someone who attended BattleTech Bootcamp at GenCon, and he said that you can now torso twist one direction for weapons fire and then, later in the same turn, twist the other way to make physical attacks.

no.

back before BMR there was a separate phase for torso twisting that occured between the movement and attack declaration. it was removed because no one did it that way.

From the BattleMech Manual:

Quote from: BMM pg 25
TORSO TWISTS
As part of each ’Mech’s weapon attack declaration, a biped ’Mech can rotate its torso one hexside to the left or right while keeping its feet pointed straight ahead. This twist lasts for the remainder of the turn, affecting firing arcs for the Weapon attack and Physical Attack Phases, but is not considered when determining hit locations. The torso automatically returns to its forward position in the End Phase.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2019, 21:42:11 »
Thanks guys. Either of you happen to hit the bootcamp to know how it was run?
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2019, 21:53:04 »
I have not

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #5 on: 08 August 2019, 06:53:35 »
Functions as always, one twist per turn. Someone's just... i don't know what.

Mistaken. The word you want is mistaken.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 08 August 2019, 07:54:42 »
Mistaken. The word you want is mistaken.
I'd say perhaps "trying to game things to their advantage"...

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #7 on: 08 August 2019, 07:56:15 »
there's also "i've been playing a house rule for thirty years and just assume it's the actual rule now"

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 08 August 2019, 09:58:03 »
I'd say perhaps "trying to game things to their advantage"...

The agent in charge of boot camp (EDIT: for that shift; there were at least six agents that I saw from the next table over because we handle events in shifts), who is not currently playing the game, and who more than likely will not interact with any of these players during a game for the rest of the convention and therefore more likely than not at least a year, if ever, is trying to game things to their advantage?

Mistaken.  The word you want is mistaken.
« Last Edit: 08 August 2019, 09:59:43 by Scotty »
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 08 August 2019, 10:14:51 »
Possibly the person claiming that they were told that at the Boot Camp was trying to game the system.
But I’m far more likely to believe a mistake. Whether the agent’s knowledge, a miscommunication, or a misunderstanding on the player’s side. Something messed up, correct the understanding and move on.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 08 August 2019, 13:23:26 »
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence.

Harsh Napoleon quote aside, it would be cool if the base assumption for stuff like this is: “someone goofed.”
Heck, I still make mistakes despite playing since the late 90s. I think everyone does. Its pretty weak as far as cheats go.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: 08 August 2019, 15:25:55 »
Yeah, the way the guy phrased it sounded to me like there'd been a miscommunication. I understand cons can be pretty chaotic, so the occasional hiccup isn't surprising.

Thanks all!

Register