Author Topic: HBS Battletech Technical Discussion thread  (Read 47489 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: HBS Battletech Technical Discussion thread
« Reply #210 on: 28 May 2018, 08:55:19 »
Is it crashing or freezing?  I had the same problem, and it turned out waiting out the freezes was the answer...

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #211 on: 16 June 2018, 20:52:37 »
I was doing a destroy the OPFOR base mission last night and the OPFOR base came into view (see photo below):

Very cool looking and I do wonder what they do there (looks like some sort of mining laser borrowed from the Romulans) but the really interesting thing for me was that it was not the first time I have seen this base. The last time I saw this base it was just off the north-western edge of the map I was playing on, outside of the playable area.

This leads me to believe that the playable mission map areas are a small area selected in a larger map created for each biome. Which means it may be possible to mod the game to give you a larger playable map area without a lot of hardwork trying to stitch a series of small maps together.
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #212 on: 17 June 2018, 14:28:26 »
Anyone know how to change the event weights? I'm getting sick of eating fake whale meat.

BigDuke66

• Master Sergeant
  • Last of the Wilds!
« Reply #213 on: 18 June 2018, 16:30:01 »
I guess there is still no fix for the GPU going got like the sun?
Any settings to at least lessen die heat?

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #214 on: 18 June 2018, 17:19:21 »

I've been using SPF 45 myself. Don't know how good it works over the long term, but so far I haven't burned! (;))
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #215 on: 18 June 2018, 18:38:37 »

I just tweak my GPU settings in the graphics card itself, or use MSI AFTERBURNER.

AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

BigDuke66

• Master Sergeant
  • Last of the Wilds!
« Reply #216 on: 18 June 2018, 19:48:52 »
I just tweak my GPU settings in the graphics card itself, or use MSI AFTERBURNER.
And you tweaked what?

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #217 on: 18 June 2018, 20:16:14 »
And you tweaked what?
most likely a lot more aggressive fan settings

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #218 on: 18 June 2018, 21:23:31 »
I have noticed that lately the trick of deleting old save files to keep load times down isn't working as well anymore.  I delete until the scroll bar goes away, but the longer I play, the slower every screen transition goes. To the point that it's slower than before I started deleting them at all.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #219 on: 18 June 2018, 22:50:10 »
most likely a lot more aggressive fan settings

Yup.

And force it to 60 FPS
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #220 on: 18 June 2018, 23:36:15 »
I have noticed that lately the trick of deleting old save files to keep load times down isn't working as well anymore.  I delete until the scroll bar goes away, but the longer I play, the slower every screen transition goes. To the point that it's slower than before I started deleting them at all.

I have noticed similar slowing load issues too, even with my new save (so I do not believe it is tied to the size of the save file).
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #221 on: 20 June 2018, 20:14:20 »
New patch hit
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Sandslice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #222 on: 20 June 2018, 21:42:53 »
New patch hit

That was a pretty quick turnaround.  I wonder if they fixed the display bug related to multi-hit attacks and alpha strikes.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #223 on: 21 June 2018, 12:11:17 »
Seems like a really great patch.

The "speed up gameplay" option is great for procedural missions when you are using assaults. Or, if you don't use that option, just hitting the space bar makes things move fast for that mechs turn. Really nice feature.

Loving the patch. Now if they would just inject the Marauder and Warhammer since HG has buggered off, I'd start a fresh Ironman playthrough.

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #224 on: 23 June 2018, 15:44:53 »
Patch question: does the patch do anything to an ongoing campaign?

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #225 on: 23 June 2018, 20:16:26 »
Can you continue a campaign started pre patch? Yes. You can also speed up gameplay and make drops more challenging. Most improvements in difficulty only come after starting a new campaign.

SD501st

• Sergeant
  • Lead me, follow me or get out of my way!
« Reply #226 on: 27 June 2018, 02:13:50 »
Can you continue a campaign started pre patch? Yes. You can also speed up gameplay and make drops more challenging. Most improvements in difficulty only come after starting a new campaign.
Oh, so that's why I can't see any difficulty adjustments in my current campaign... darnit. I was already wondering why the "Difficulty" tab in the options was not clickable.
<_< *looks at his Avatar*

Well, I will probably just play through the story then and wait until the now safe Warhammer, Marauder and Archer are injected into the game before starting another campaign.

Anyway, different question:

I copied and changed files for the +/++/+++ Magna Lasers and changed them to Defiance produced ones, switching out the Magna's improved damage and accuracy for stability damage modifiers instead. I originally wanted to give them a lower heat modifier as well, but then HBS massively reduced LL heat, and I realized that stability damage on Lasers is already plenty powerful on its own, even if it's just +2/+5/+10 for S/M/L Lasers. The fluff reason I made up in my mind is that the Defiance brand of lasers are based on particle laser systems, which have some kinetic energy properties... a bit like a PPC/Laser hybrid, but much weaker. I know there was a laser brand that was fluffed as just this, but I just couldn't remember which type/manufacturer it was... so I went with Defiance, since it's one of the most advanced manufacturing companies out there and stability damage seems like a very Lyran thing. ;)

I kept the Magna's as well of course. All worked fine, the game starts without problem, but the new weapons don't show up anywhere. Are there any other files I needed to edit to get the game to recognize the new weapon files?

And since I am already talking about it... is there anyone else who is kind of disappointed by how the different Weapon Manufacturers are treated as straight upgrades? I expected them to have their manufacturer specific positive and negative quirks instead. Such as, for example, the Kali Yama Big Bore AC20 having higher stability damage but at the cost of a worse refire modifier, since it's one of the AC20's that fire only a few large rounds, unlike the Defiance MechHunter which fires a large stream of smaller projectiles, which in turn sounds like a reduced initial accuracy but higher damage weapon. Differences, not straight up upgrades, that's how I imagined it after first hearing about the different weapon manufacturers in this game.

Sure, some manufacturers have better quality standards than others, but imho everything above the first + is a bit too much in my humble opinion... +3 accuracy and +10 damage on a Magna Large Laser +++?! That's a very low heat PPC without stability damage, for heavens sake!
« Last Edit: 27 June 2018, 03:07:00 by SD501st »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #227 on: 27 June 2018, 06:45:17 »
I haven't noticed a link between manufacturers and bonuses.  They seem to be randomly generated independently...

SD501st

• Sergeant
« Reply #228 on: 27 June 2018, 08:18:15 »
I haven't noticed a link between manufacturers and bonuses.  They seem to be randomly generated independently...
They are linked for the same weapon type, those being Lasers, PPCs, ACs, LRMs and SRMs.

Holly SRM's for example always increase damage... and the 6 tube Holly launchers also have a hidden(and probably unintended) accuracy bonus, +1 for the Holly SRM6+ and +5( :o) for the Holly SRM6++. The Valiant SRM's always have a stability damage and damage bonus, although the regular damage bonus is lower than that of Holly's of the same quality. And lastly for SRMs, we have the Irian launchers which have critical hit percentage boni.

For Lasers, all Magnas have damage boni, all ExoStar have crit% boni and the Inteks have damage and crit% boni. And as I said before, the bonus remains the same regardless of the size of the weapon. The Magna Large, Medium and Small Laser++ all have a +10 dmg bonus... obviously, the SL profits the most from that, but it's also the rarest to find according to the rarity value in the .json file.

The same holds true for all AC and LRM sizes. They are mostly the same regardless of the size of the laser/autocannon/missile launcher. Kali Yama AC's have damage, Defiance AC's have accuracy, Federated AC's have crit% boni. However, not all manufacturers have weapons of all 3 quality grades, and not all manufacturers have weapons of all sizes. There are no Magna or Exostar +++ Lasers, just + and ++. Similarily, there are no Intek + Lasers, just ++ and +++. There's always one manufacturer that has no + grade weapon for a specific weapon size, but the ++ and +++ grade weapons of that class and size gain a second bonus. Kali Yama for example has no + grade AC20, but the ++ and +++ grade Kali Yama AC20's gain stability damage boni. For other sizes it's a different manufacturer, and not always the same bonus.
« Last Edit: 27 June 2018, 08:37:12 by SD501st »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #229 on: 27 June 2018, 08:27:55 »
I'll definitely take a closer look the next time I'm near the computer that can play the game... thanks!  :thumbsup:

SD501st

• Sergeant
« Reply #230 on: 27 June 2018, 08:40:00 »
I'll definitely take a closer look the next time I'm near the computer that can play the game... thanks!  :thumbsup:

Just take a look at the .json files in your Battletech/Battletech_Data/StreamingAssets/data/weapon folder.  ;)
For steam, that's Steam/steamapps/common/BATTLETECH/Battletech_Data/StreamingAssets/data/weapon ... don't ask me why the games folder is in ALL CAPS though!  ;D

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #231 on: 27 June 2018, 08:42:40 »
I have a GOG version, but I'm sure it's not too different.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #232 on: 28 June 2018, 18:28:43 »
More a Steam issue i think - but after loading the game up for the first time after a short break i'm getting a failure to launch.
"An error occurred while updating Battletech (missing executable)".

Any advice?

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #233 on: 28 June 2018, 20:07:06 »
More a Steam issue i think - but after loading the game up for the first time after a short break i'm getting a failure to launch.
"An error occurred while updating Battletech (missing executable)".

Any advice?

Maybe something went wrong with your patch download.  Should be an option to reinstall it some where in steam.  Never needed it so I've never looked.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #234 on: 28 June 2018, 20:51:15 »
Maybe something went wrong with your patch download.  Should be an option to reinstall it some where in steam.  Never needed it so I've never looked.
There is an option to check file integrity but it takes a while to run.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #235 on: 29 June 2018, 20:04:28 »
There is an option to check file integrity but it takes a while to run.

Might try this. I have a feeling it was the patch update

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #236 on: 30 June 2018, 00:55:54 »
if you have the steam version,
1 right click on battletech in your library
2 select properties
3 select the local files tab
4 click on verify integrity of game files.

if that doesn't fix it there was a set of directions from paradox / HBS noting that they were seeing some broken patch updates and what to try to fix it.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #237 on: 30 June 2018, 05:53:07 »
if you have the steam version,
1 right click on battletech in your library
2 select properties
3 select the local files tab
4 click on verify integrity of game files.

if that doesn't fix it there was a set of directions from paradox / HBS noting that they were seeing some broken patch updates and what to try to fix it.

Awesome! Thanks for the tip!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #238 on: 14 July 2018, 22:03:15 »
Has anyone else had trouble with the GOG update software?  It's failed twice on me, and now it has two different download counters running that are about 2GB apart...

EDIT: The failure count is up to four, but the counters have been running long enough for me to determine one is counting up while the other is counting down.
« Last Edit: 14 July 2018, 22:21:06 by Daryk »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #239 on: 15 July 2018, 14:41:45 »
Finally got the patch installed and running... where are all these new game play settings again?