Author Topic: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition  (Read 163210 times)

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
Re: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition
« Reply #120 on: 17 June 2018, 14:11:01 »
Sengoku Collection is the one where genderswapped sengoku lords were brought forward in time. I'd still like to give it another try, if only out of loyalty to my man Keiji Gotoh.

Ambition of Oda Nobuna was the one where the protagonist went back in time but all the sengoku lords were women.

Only about half of the Daimyo were women. It does seem as if all were because the daimyo more central to the story were indeed women.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #121 on: 17 June 2018, 14:46:49 »
It was all the characters who showed up in Samurai Warriors who ended up as women.

Well, watched season 6 of Voltron.  Pretty intense.  Not going to say more to avoid spoilers for those who are planning to watch it.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

kato

• Captain
« Reply #122 on: 19 June 2018, 17:34:46 »
Since it's only 10 days to go, let's check the next season...

Continuations:
  • Overlord III
  • Yama no Susume III
  • One Room II
  • Idolmaster Cinderella Girls Gekijou ... IV ? (will there be an accompanying Idolmaster CG season?)
  • Ani ni Tsukeru Kusuri wa Nai II
  • Grappler Baki III
  • Bang Dream II
... and so on. Seems all pretty straightforward. And stuff that i'm all gonna watch if i get my hands on it. Well, maybe not Baki.

Other than that, we have in new stuff, ranked a bit by whether i'll watch it...:
  • Hanebado : Sports anime. Badminton this time. Definitely up for it.
  • Harukana Receive : Sports anime. Sorta. Beachball.
  • Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro : Gag slice-of-life anime about a girl going to school. Using parkour.
  • Joshi Ochi! 2-kai kara Onnanoko ga... futte kita!? : Setup see Hinamatsuri. Except the one who drops is an adult woman. And the development is appropriate to that.
  • Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san : Setup see Youkai Apaato. Sorta. Manga has drawn some controversy due to featuring adult content in Weekly Shonen Jump.
  • Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu : Guess i'll give it a try. Until they step off the tower or so.
Honorable mentions, as in i'd watch it:
  • Banana Fish : 1980s manga series, themed gang and mafia warfare. Minor shonen-ai subtext. (note: on Amazon Prime)
  • Planet With : Super Robot. (unlikely to be licensed)
About anything else i won't be watching. That includes the blood cell thing. And Attack on Titan III. And the Smartphone isekai clone.

Though let's see if e.g. Are Zombie Shoujo no Sainan will actually be broadcast. The zombie of zombie anime. Been in development hell since 2012.

Anyone notice the dearth of any romance anime this summer?
« Last Edit: 19 June 2018, 17:39:02 by kato »

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #123 on: 19 June 2018, 18:09:43 »
This summer season is as depressing a season chart as I can ever recall seeing. Blah. I'm not following anything that's carrying over, which just leaves new shows.

Things I'll try:
  • One Room 2 - The first one was charming, Kantoku is good
  • Thousand Musketeers (Senjuushi) - Musket boys? Hell, I liked Hetalia, I'll give it a shot!
  • Planet With - Gots robots. Looks cute. Looks funny. JC Staff rarely fails to deliver at least a baseline of entertainment
  • Ongaku Shojo - I absolutely LOVED the Anime Mirai short, so I hope that DEEN can deliver on the premise as a series
  • Shojo Kageki Starlight Revue - Like Sakura Taisen, without the Taisen!
  • Asobi Asobase - Sounds like a hilarious slice of life comedy that's actually got one of the most unique premises this season
  • Back Street Girls - This will either be absolutely hilarious, or absolute disgusting. I guess I'll have to find out which one
  • Island - the production values & scenario looks like a top-class visual novel right now. I'll give it a go

I hope this season finds something to impress me, but right now I don't feel that October can come fast enough! ;D xp

kato

• Captain
« Reply #124 on: 19 June 2018, 18:32:05 »
Senjuushi looks like fujoshi bait to me...

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #125 on: 19 June 2018, 19:29:37 »
Summer looks bleak. I'm probably shooting for the following:

Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro:
The way life is currently functioning, I'm happy to go with something gonzo absurdist. I've always been a sucker for comedy sketches which take the 'mundane' and put it in offbeat context.

High Score Girl:
As a kid, arcades always intrigued me greatly. I'm planning to give this one a couple of episodes just to see how it will shape up.

Back Street Girls:
The premise is absurdly horrifying. Back Street Girls will either see me running screaming for the brain bleach or my bleak sense of humor will find this amusing. Either way, the premise has enough weirdness that it has me intrigued.

Hataraku Saibou:
I'm already an avid follower of the manga. This one is a no brainer for me. I just hope it isn't a botch.

Island:
I am iffy about this one, but I have a Japanese friend who thoroughly shilled the original visual novel. Will give this a shot.

--------------------------------

Continuations:

Piano no Mori:
I am starved for music anime. This will suffice.

Boku no Hero Academia:
Been following the manga as well. The anime has been doing a very good job of keeping the kinetic presentation of a superhero comic.

Juushinki Pandora:
I'm not exactly sure why I'm still watching this. Probably sunk cost fallacy. It has all the ingredients to be a top notch Mecha series (solid 'Mecha designs, good VA cast, interesting setting) but the overall execution is just overly pedestrian.
« Last Edit: 19 June 2018, 19:35:27 by Dies Irae »

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #126 on: 19 June 2018, 20:59:32 »
Senjuushi looks like fujoshi bait to me...

Sure does! If it's clever it might still be enjoyable, though!

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #127 on: 26 June 2018, 19:59:18 »
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu - Die Neue These (Legend of the Galactic Heroes - The New Thesis) is done.

It was a heroic effort to try to fit that particular LoGH arc into a single cour, but they did a good job going at it with a chainsaw. It's still dry and discussing the themes of democracy and autocracy lurking beneath the surface of the show will likely get us beaten with a Rule 4 bat (again), but that stuff is my bread and butter. The CGI starship engagements were downright beautiful as well though underused since at its core the focus was primarily on the societies underlying the conflict as heralded by their exemplars, Reinhard von Müsel and Yang Wen Li.

It's a solid, watchable entry, though I'm annoyed that they cut the series where they did, just to save the big set piece for the movie coming out in 2019. Regardless, it's a very good entry to a season with a solid crop of shows.

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #128 on: 30 June 2018, 20:40:16 »
Darling in the FranXX Ep 20:

I was successfully tricked into watching Gurren Lagann again...

I'm sort of fine with that.

Darling in the FranXX EP 23:

I was successfully tricked into watching Gunbuster again...

I'm still sort of fine with that.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #129 on: 02 July 2018, 09:40:50 »
Giant mecha wedding dress and bomb bouquet? Sure, why not.  :thumbsup:

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #130 on: 02 July 2018, 11:11:36 »
FranXX is well off the rails thematically, but now that I've accepted that it's a lot easier to just enjoy the explosions & the Trigger sakuga!

Started watching Island yesterday! I thought I was time-travelling to 2006 watching it just like the main character, but considering I love that classic visual novel style, that's not a bad thing at all!

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #131 on: 02 July 2018, 13:37:36 »
Started watching Island yesterday! I thought I was time-travelling to 2006 watching it just like the main character, but considering I love that classic visual novel style, that's not a bad thing at all!
Can you tell some more about it? Like what is it about?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #132 on: 02 July 2018, 14:11:23 »
Can you tell some more about it? Like what is it about?

An insular island has had a number of amnesiacs wash-up on shore, always when a mysterious second island appears off the coast. The latest castaway is the protagonist, who remembers only that he's from the future, & has come to save someone & kill another. The castaway meets the daughter of the island's mayor before meeting a mysterious rich girl whose name he remembers, but who doesn't remember him. The girl lets him take a job as a housekeeper at her home as his memories slowly return & he tries to figure out who he is & why he came there.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #133 on: 05 July 2018, 16:48:16 »
Welp, it is with great trepidation that I must announce that yet another live-action attempt at Gundam is being taken, this time by top-shelf Western nerd studio Legendary Pictures. Legendary Pictures is generally a trustworthy studio, but adaptations of anime to live-action on both sides of the Pacific tend to be so Gods-awful it's really hard to conjure up any enthusiasm. At least it might be better than G-Savior?

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #134 on: 05 July 2018, 16:54:22 »
Welp, it is with great trepidation that I must announce that yet another live-action attempt at Gundam is being taken, this time by top-shelf Western nerd studio Legendary Pictures. Legendary Pictures is generally a trustworthy studio, but adaptations of anime to live-action on both sides of the Pacific tend to be so Gods-awful it's really hard to conjure up any enthusiasm. At least it might be better than G-Savior?
Well I know that Live action Space Battleship Yamato's main issue was trying to compress an entire series' plot and the second half show that.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #135 on: 05 July 2018, 20:15:43 »
Index Season 3 teaser is up! Looks like we're going to get the British Royal Family/World War III arcs!

https://fast.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-07-05/a-certain-magical-index-season-3-anime-teaser-promo-streamed/.133857

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #136 on: 06 July 2018, 07:16:47 »
I was watching Starblazers 2202: Soldiers of Love Ep #9 and I had to shut it off. Kouda was exhibiting brain dead stupidity at Shirou Emiya levels.  :'(

Hopefully this is just a one time thing and next episode will be back to normal.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #137 on: 07 July 2018, 08:19:23 »
And from the anime-inspired side of things...

Dakota Fanning and Koichi Yamadera Join Cast of Rooster Teeth's gen:LOCK

For those who don't know, Yamadera is the original voice of Spike Spiegel as well as a few hundred other anime characters.

They also announced Monica Rial will be voicing one of the main commander characters.
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #138 on: 07 July 2018, 12:21:47 »

Darling in the FranXX
Just saw the last episode and I think that it ended very well.
Quite touching
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

kato

• Captain
« Reply #139 on: 07 July 2018, 13:32:04 »
Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro: The way life is currently functioning, I'm happy to go with something gonzo absurdist.
First episode was surprisingly sedate, especially the second half. Given how absurd the manga does turn the matter though i hope that was just some sort of introduction - and this ain't turning into slice-of-life. First half was hilarious.

Planet With - Gots robots. Looks cute. Looks funny. JC Staff rarely fails to deliver at least a baseline of entertainment
Somewhat of a surprise, that one. I mean, cute? Not really. Funny? Not quite other than some spoofing. Broadly Etotama level of "wtf am i watching" there. And whoever edited the script must have been a high-level autist. The phases the story goes through are timed. To the second. 3-minute start, eight exact 2 minute cycles after that, 3-minute end including ED. Seriously.

Other than that, only thing i'm watching so far is Yama no Susume S3. A bit much on the recycled animation, but i guess they're basically expanding on where the first season's 3-minute episodes left people hanging a bit.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #140 on: 07 July 2018, 20:12:06 »
Darling in the FranXX
Quite touching

Agreed!

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #141 on: 07 July 2018, 21:23:01 »
First episode was surprisingly sedate, especially the second half. Given how absurd the manga does turn the matter though i hope that was just some sort of introduction - and this ain't turning into slice-of-life. First half was hilarious.

Yeah. I follow the manga as well. I was expecting more insanity. I guess they were going for baby steps.

Darling in the FranXX
Quite touching

It just... sort of fell apart at the end and lost coherence. Last 4-5 episodes could have been an entire series on their own.
Still a good series, but I was so inundated by sudden plot twists at the end, the part of my brain that really cared switched off.

Good but not great by my tastes.

I still enjoyed the show immensely, but it wasn't the second coming of Mecha it was originally hyped as being.
« Last Edit: 07 July 2018, 21:34:23 by Dies Irae »

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #142 on: 07 July 2018, 22:04:11 »
well its summer, so i think i'm gonna have to watch Hanebado and Harukana Recieve.  ;D

Overlord 3 and Attack on Titan 3 are also must watch shows.
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #143 on: 07 July 2018, 22:08:39 »
It just... sort of fell apart at the end and lost coherence.......Still a good series, but I was so inundated by sudden plot twists at the end, the part of my brain that really cared switched off.

The less I cared about what FranXX was trying to say, the more I enjoyed it. I suspect many people watching Franxx made the same mistake of reading more into the philosophical window dressing than was intended, & what Trigger was actually making with FranXX was Gurren Lagann II Electric Bugaloo guest starring Kill la Kill. Kill la Kill had some similar inconsistent commentary about cultural fascism & liberating yourself from conformity, but that series thankfully never presented itself with the level of gravity that implied it was a serious focus of the show like FranXX. When the show was announced, I assumed that A-1 was brought in to lend some dramatic heft to the show, & that social commentary was going to be a rather integral part of the narrative, but it appears all of that was just a head-fake & the emperor was meant to be naked from the start. There've definitely been worse shows, but the frantic way FranXX has shifted its tone & twisted its plot has made it very hard to retain any strong emotional investment.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #144 on: 07 July 2018, 22:22:01 »
With the exception of Overlord S3 I am taking the summer off and binge watching One Piece which so far reminds me a lot of Hunter x Hunter.

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #145 on: 08 July 2018, 00:28:28 »
The less I cared about what FranXX was trying to say, the more I enjoyed it. I suspect many people watching Franxx made the same mistake of reading more into the philosophical window dressing than was intended, & what Trigger was actually making with FranXX was Gurren Lagann II Electric Bugaloo guest starring Kill la Kill. Kill la Kill had some similar inconsistent commentary about cultural fascism & liberating yourself from conformity, but that series thankfully never presented itself with the level of gravity that implied it was a serious focus of the show like FranXX. When the show was announced, I assumed that A-1 was brought in to lend some dramatic heft to the show, & that social commentary was going to be a rather integral part of the narrative, but it appears all of that was just a head-fake & the emperor was meant to be naked from the start. There've definitely been worse shows, but the frantic way FranXX has shifted its tone & twisted its plot has made it very hard to retain any strong emotional investment.

I was definitely one of those thrown for a loop by the tonality shift, but my main complaint is that the even watching it as a wacky mecha show, the overall execution of the fights in the second cour lacked the grandeur and spectacle of the earlier episodes. There are shows which can carry themselves through sheer spectacle alone. This wasn't one of them.

Overall, I feel sort of let down by Neon Tengen Toppa Kill La Buster.

An insular island has had a number of amnesiacs wash-up on shore, always when a mysterious second island appears off the coast. The latest castaway is the protagonist, who remembers only that he's from the future, & has come to save someone & kill another. The castaway meets the daughter of the island's mayor before meeting a mysterious rich girl whose name he remembers, but who doesn't remember him. The girl lets him take a job as a housekeeper at her home as his memories slowly return & he tries to figure out who he is & why he came there.

I'm at episode 2 of Island and I'm still completely lost. I sort of get the mysteries of the island and there's enough going to hold my interest, but it's like drinking from a firehose.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hataraku Saibou. Totally sold. Even though I already read the manga, I never thought a bumblingly incompetent overly expressive red corpuscle voiced by HanaKana would be so entertaining.

Opening: https://files.catbox.moe/vcjbf0.webm

« Last Edit: 08 July 2018, 10:13:30 by Dies Irae »

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #146 on: 08 July 2018, 10:30:12 »
The less I cared about what FranXX was trying to say, the more I enjoyed it. I suspect many people watching Franxx made the same mistake of reading more into the philosophical window dressing than was intended, & what Trigger was actually making with FranXX was Gurren Lagann II Electric Bugaloo guest starring Kill la Kill.
Thanks for summary. I considered watching it, but sounds like it isn't for me.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #147 on: 10 July 2018, 10:27:48 »
I was definitely one of those thrown for a loop by the tonality shift, but my main complaint is that the even watching it as a wacky mecha show, the overall execution of the fights in the second cour lacked the grandeur and spectacle of the earlier episodes. There are shows which can carry themselves through sheer spectacle alone. This wasn't one of them.

Overall, I feel sort of let down by Neon Tengen Toppa Kill La Buster.
I have to agree with comparison with Tengan, Kill la Kill and Gun Buster. Very end felt very much like Gunbuster.  I had issues with people merging with the mech and resembling it.  Overall the story was good one, as humanity had try pull fast one to make it through after being duped.

Trying catch up so badly, not been good Spring for me.  :P
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #148 on: 10 July 2018, 12:36:09 »
New Overlord out today and it is off to a great start! Love the new Myth and Roid intro for this season.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #149 on: 10 July 2018, 21:29:58 »
That badminton anime is really well animated!

Register