Author Topic: How do you get field kitchens to work?  (Read 863 times)

Rince Wind

• Sergeant
How do you get field kitchens to work?
« on: 21 September 2024, 03:44:28 »
I am probably overlooking something obvious, but I can't get the field kitchen to show up like the hospital beds.
For the hospital I only need doctors, no actual hardware, but I can't hire chefs. :D

I bought the Hector Road Train passenger module and hired the crew. Nothing. Added it to the TO&E in a non combat formation. Still nothing. Not wanting to waste more money for testing I gm added the tractor and its crew and added it to the TO&E. Still nothing. I tried the Zanadu and Graceful Crane Airbuses, but still no success.
Advancing the day a couple of times didn't work either. It still says 130/00 kitchens.

I just want to provide my people with a hot meal!

dgorsman

• Captain
Re: How do you get field kitchens to work?
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2024, 10:42:06 »
Have you advanced far enough for a new week (Mondays) to start?  A number of evaluations are only done on a weekly basis.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Nehvar

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2024, 11:59:10 »
For me, I used the lab to create a 3036-compatible version of the "Generic Expandable Services Vehicle" and then added it to my new campaign.  Upon fully crewing it provided for 150 personnel per field kitchen.

I'll attach a copy of what I came up with.  It requires 1 driver and 9 vehicle crewmembers, not gunners, to work.

Taron Storm

• Warrant Officer
  • Founding Member of Chaos Inc Merc Brigade
« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2024, 13:07:17 »
Same concept using a Vedette chassis.

Rince Wind

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 21 September 2024, 14:08:43 »
Have you advanced far enough for a new week (Mondays) to start?  A number of evaluations are only done on a weekly basis.

Monday didn't help. I tried again with a Crane. It is staffed by crewmembers (and a driver).
I'll try a custom one, if that doesn't work I'll try one of the ones on offer here.

Do you have them in your TO&E?

Taron Storm

• Warrant Officer
  • Founding Member of Chaos Inc Merc Brigade
« Reply #5 on: 21 September 2024, 15:05:24 »
campaign options
turnover and retention tab
make sure camops fatigue is checked

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Engineering where it's not WHY but WHY NOT?
« Reply #6 on: 21 September 2024, 20:30:02 »
I've run into the same problem with kitchens too.  I created a custom LMTV kitchen truck and added it to a non-combat HQ section in my TO&E.  My kitchens show 73/00 and fatigue tracking is enabled.  Is this a bug?
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

DamnKerensky

• Private
« Reply #7 on: 22 September 2024, 00:29:28 »
I had a GESV-Field Kitchen for a while, just for fluff.  Then I saw how much fuel that thing was consuming each month and ditched it immediately.  Like many units in the game, the fuel-use is beyond both ridiculous and obscene.

Rince Wind

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 22 September 2024, 03:01:13 »
For me, I used the lab to create a 3036-compatible version of the "Generic Expandable Services Vehicle" and then added it to my new campaign.  Upon fully crewing it provided for 150 personnel per field kitchen.

I'll attach a copy of what I came up with.  It requires 1 driver and 9 vehicle crewmembers, not gunners, to work.

This one works for me, thank you!

Edit: And now the kitchen is involved in combat. As the sole unit in the non-combat Soup Kitchen Lance they somehow managed to stumble upon an enemy lance far away from the HQ. Were they foraging?
It is not even a defensive scenario, they are supposed to engage the enemy unit. :D
« Last Edit: 22 September 2024, 09:03:51 by Rince Wind »

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #9 on: 22 September 2024, 12:40:14 »
Same concept using a Vedette chassis.

Can I just say I love the idea of a hollowed out Vedette being turned into a food truck.  It fills me with joy and I assume tacos.

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
« Reply #10 on: 22 September 2024, 13:10:10 »
This one works for me, thank you!

Edit: And now the kitchen is involved in combat. As the sole unit in the non-combat Soup Kitchen Lance they somehow managed to stumble upon an enemy lance far away from the HQ. Were they foraging?
It is not even a defensive scenario, they are supposed to engage the enemy unit. :D

MekHQ currently does not handle noncombatant forces in the TO&E well, even if designated as such it will sometimes pull them for scenarios. So it can best to leave them out of the formal TO&E setup whenever possible.
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

Rince Wind

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 22 September 2024, 13:27:28 »
I figured as much and deleted my non combat company.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 22 September 2024, 20:36:22 »
I figured as much and deleted my non combat company.

Good thing I got everyone pistols, rifles, and shotguns.  The chefs come with a wide variety of useful blades too  :evil:
BATTLEMASTER

Illiani

• Private
  • Code Monkey
« Reply #13 on: 22 September 2024, 22:27:15 »
On the topic of non-combatant forces. I’m actually looking into that tomorrow, along with some other adjustments to stuff that’s been an issue for a while. So, assuming everything goes to plan, this shouldn’t be an issue in 50.01.

Rince Wind

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 23 September 2024, 09:22:49 »
Nice!
That sounds good.

Nehvar

• Recruit
« Reply #15 on: 24 September 2024, 12:36:05 »
On the topic of non-combatant forces. I’m actually looking into that tomorrow, along with some other adjustments to stuff that’s been an issue for a while. So, assuming everything goes to plan, this shouldn’t be an issue in 50.01.

Nice.  I had to use the "F4 Tornado of Scenario-Ending" like four times the last mission because my 'Aerospace Assets' non-com formation kept being used as the seed for low-atmo scenarios.  I have four aerospace fighters and an aerodyne drop/gunship in my combat formations, I am not even entertaining the idea of fighting 120 rocket-spamming conventional aircraft.

Illiani

• Private
  • Code Monkey
« Reply #16 on: 24 September 2024, 15:21:18 »
120 rocket-spamming conventional aircraft.

We're actually putting together a very cool announcement relating to this. Keep an eye on https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=57647.0

Rince Wind

• Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 25 September 2024, 08:56:45 »
Nice.  I had to use the "F4 Tornado of Scenario-Ending" like four times the last mission because my 'Aerospace Assets' non-com formation kept being used as the seed for low-atmo scenarios.  I have four aerospace fighters and an aerodyne drop/gunship in my combat formations, I am not even entertaining the idea of fighting 120 rocket-spamming conventional aircraft.

I fought against some rocket spamming fighters (both conventional and aerospace). Then I wanted to buy some myself and can't. Bombs are no problem, but rockets are a no go in 3052.

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 25 September 2024, 13:09:23 »
Rocket launchers - RL10/15/20 - or rocket launcher pods (not omnipods)?  The latter ones that are external ordnance are named differently than the ground-based weapon, and should be available.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 25 September 2024, 19:52:58 »
Why isn't this field kitchen truck working?  Built with MML 0.50.0 SNAPSHOT.
BATTLEMASTER

Rince Wind

• Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 26 September 2024, 11:19:29 »
Rocket launchers - RL10/15/20 - or rocket launcher pods (not omnipods)?  The latter ones that are external ordnance are named differently than the ground-based weapon, and should be available.

The pods. I have some in my inventory after loading my fighters with them in MegaMek and not using all of them. If I try to order more via the Parts in Use report their target number is impossible.
Max techlevel is set to unofficial, and I tried it with variable tech level and faction intro dates turned off as well. They don't appear when I search for them (see the attached screenshot).

Register