Author Topic: Land-Air Mechs: a Vision  (Read 16703 times)

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
Land-Air Mechs: a Vision
« on: 31 January 2011, 09:46:03 »
I just wanted to see some opinions.

if Ironwind was to create new LAM minis from TRO 3085, or some group of fans gave Irionwind a bunch of money when fan funding came back online *cough*, how would you prefer they go about it?  would you just want the AirMech Mini and be done with it like the old days?  or something else?

I have a unique Vision on this.  in light of the Battleforce miniatures coming out, I think it would be awesome to do a full scale Battlemech mode Miniature, and then use the new Battleforce scale minis to make an air mech mini and a fighter mini.  that would be cheaper then doing three full size minis per unit (two for the Shadow Hawk)

what do you guys think?
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
Re: Land-Air Mechs: a Vision
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2011, 09:51:11 »
All three would be nice, perhaps as a set.

If not possible then a Battlemech mode one.
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2011, 10:02:02 »
If they were done in the BattleForce size, i'd incline to go with both fighter/Mech mode things.

If were full-scale miniatures, i'd stay in Air-Mech mode, since thats going be most use in the game.  How long does a fighter mode 'Mech stay on the field?
« Last Edit: 31 January 2011, 13:35:53 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2011, 10:48:56 »
Either all three modes (released separately or as a 3-pack), or in a kit form that would allow you to pick what mode you assemble it in.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2011, 11:40:34 »
Two mini's, a mech version and a air-mech version. Don't really need a fighter version, how often would people use it?
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2011, 12:11:32 »
Two mini's, a mech version and a air-mech version. Don't really need a fighter version, how often would people use it?

I dunno, Wasp with Bomb Bay.... I would use em

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 31 January 2011, 12:31:12 »
yeah, i agree, i would get enough use out of the fighter mode that i would want one just in case. right now, i'm partial to jp's idea, but i'm open to suggestions
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2011, 13:55:52 »
its also a question of whats cheapest.  assume it costs 500 dollars per full sized mini regardless of situation to fan fund these puppies, that means the community would have to raise 5500 dollars to be satisfied with the full sized set of four LAMs.

what is using my idea the cost to fund could be knocked down by 25%, more if we cut the fighter out of the equation entirely...

which brings toi mind another question.  if you had to choose between AirMech or Battlemech full sized, what would you do, keeping in mind the aesthetics of the Mk I's

megatrons2nd

• Warrant Officer
  • All hail Megatron
« Reply #8 on: 31 January 2011, 17:06:58 »
I would prefer the Airmech mode version first.  Although I would like, and use, each modes model in a game.
All the world's a joke and the people merely punchlines.

Centurion03

• Master Sergeant
  • Jacta Alea Est - The Die is Cast
    • South African Wargamer
« Reply #9 on: 31 January 2011, 17:48:30 »
Never having been able to use a LAM before I am greatly looking forward these new
versions being released.

I think perhaps the LAMs in AirMech mode would work best. It would be nice to have
all three modes, but from a cost perspective I would settle for AirMech mode.

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 31 January 2011, 19:51:33 »
I like JP's idea, but i would change it to the Airmech mode in mech scale and the other two in smaller scale. the airmech mode is what makes LAM's unique.

Spirit Never Dies - Second Spirit Chasseurs - Clan Blood Spirit
Raven Alliance

Stingray

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 31 January 2011, 21:09:20 »
I like JP's idea, but i would change it to the Airmech mode in mech scale and the other two in smaller scale. the airmech mode is what makes LAM's unique.

QFT

Honestly of the three the Airmech mode will sell the best IMHO... with Mech mode second, and Aerotech mode (most likely) a distant third.

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 31 January 2011, 21:21:17 »
turns out i miss read what jp wrote, based on the last 2 posts, to make my opinion clear on the matter, the air mech mode is the most important part for me, the other 2 can be small
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: 31 January 2011, 21:36:31 »
I'm wondering how confusing it's going to get when we get the Celestial LAM's as well.

I'm betting at least 2 new chassis with a full 3 modes.

I'm thinking they'll do a pack honestly with all 3 modes. Because who wouldn't buy a pack? LAM's are a love-it/hate-it thing and something that most fans at least want to have one of. You know that even if they were not sold singularly that us fans would gobble up the triple packs.

That's also what's probably going to knock the releases way back. You have to prep and mold 3 minis per release. In order to keep all the minis very similar as well they are going to need to sculpt all the modes around the same time to keep all the proportions and little scaled details in line with the rest.

Not that I couldn't be wrong. "Place your bets folks. Place your bets!"

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #14 on: 01 February 2011, 00:50:45 »
I hope you can maybe by a 3 pack set, and have all 3 versions. Mech, Land-Air, and then Fighter mode!
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Paint it Pink

• Warrant Officer
  • Pink Panther Battalion: The Gritty Kitty's
    • Paint it Pink
« Reply #15 on: 01 February 2011, 04:48:55 »
Airmech mode is IMO the priority number one choice. Fighter mode might sell better made in Aerotech scale. Battlemech mode not really needed, except for the perfect collection people. Oh that would probably be me too.  }:)
The unseen once seen cannot be unseen

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/

skumm

• Sergeant
  • 1400 minis and counting....
    • SkuMM's Battletech Miniature Archive
« Reply #16 on: 01 February 2011, 11:11:53 »
In order to keep my collection complete, I will have to buy whatever comes out no matter what. :/
Minis minis everywhere. But who has time to paint?

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
« Reply #17 on: 01 February 2011, 11:21:25 »
and that just makes evil plans more glorious.... }:)

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #18 on: 01 February 2011, 13:21:50 »
I'm going to have to have all 3 modes on each,including the scorpion l.a.m. in regular BT size,battleforce size and AT2 size...I know,I'm a pig but I can wish.

I'm just imagning the scorpion l.a.m. flying out into space,transforming into a quad latching onto a warship with the claws and magnets in its feet and drilling holes into ... what? I can dream.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

megatrons2nd

• Warrant Officer
  • All hail Megatron
« Reply #19 on: 02 February 2011, 17:21:29 »
I believe Herb said Quad LAMs were not going to happen.  Sorry to burst your bubble.
All the world's a joke and the people merely punchlines.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #20 on: 02 February 2011, 17:24:21 »
Last 3 words of my previous post.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Deathknight69

• Captain
  • Supernaturalizing the universe !!
« Reply #21 on: 03 February 2011, 18:25:49 »
I'm inclined to go w/ all 3 modes myself. I like the idea of a full scale AirMech, BattleMech modes and the smaller scale fighter mode personally  :)
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
"What's a little canon-deviation amongst friends and enemies" - Self
Quote from: DarkSpade on August 10, 2022, 15:23:40
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.
Well, there's an Obi-Wan level point of view comment for you ...  xp
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 15:35:06 by Wolf72 »

serrate

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #22 on: 04 February 2011, 09:27:54 »
Ideally, I'd want an airmech, mech, and ASF mode.  But I'll buy whatever they make.

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
« Reply #23 on: 04 February 2011, 09:30:38 »
Ideally, I'd want an airmech, mech, and ASF mode.  But I'll buy whatever they make.

yes, we have established that, but the question I originally posted was scale.  since we have Battleforce scale mechs as an option and had microfighters forever, out of three, which one should be in mech scale and which other two modes should be in smaller scale?

maddyfish

• Corporal
« Reply #24 on: 04 February 2011, 19:32:34 »
All three modes would be nice, but airmech would be the ticket if it was only to be one.

Our play group has used all three modes in campaign play. Mercifully, our opponent wanted to see what lambs could do, so his Batu Bs let out lams in fighter mode escape.

And I converted to mech mode during a game just so I could say out loud 

"CONVERT TO BATTLEROID MODE"

But they are mostly effective as airmechs.
Have Wasp, will travel

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #25 on: 04 February 2011, 20:14:05 »
yes, we have established that, but the question I originally posted was scale.  since we have Battleforce scale mechs as an option and had microfighters forever, out of three, which one should be in mech scale and which other two modes should be in smaller scale?

All in mech scale. But all my aerospace fighters are in mech scale since I don't really play big space battles and don't have any fleet scale stuff so I'm probably biased.

But $50 for a LAM aerospace micro-scale sculpt is pocket change once fan funding opens again.

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #26 on: 05 February 2011, 19:47:18 »
I'd like them in Air Mech mode if i had to have only one mode.

Though a mech scale Airmech, Mech scale Mech mode, micro scale fighter mode would work best I think
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

serrate

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #27 on: 05 February 2011, 23:05:25 »

I want them all in mech scale, but if I actually had to pick just one, I'd pick Airmech.  I just think of it as the iconic look of a LAM.  If I have to bash together a mech mode option, I'll do it.  I really don't care about the micro scale. 

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 07 February 2011, 04:35:29 »
It doesn't have to be 3 separate minis; in fact that would be somewhat wasteful and expensive.  Take advantage of the fact that airmech mode is in between battlemech mode and fighter mode.  Just do the fighter and battlemech minis and use them to build the airmech.

Sculpt based on sections: battlemech torso, airmech torso/upper fuselage (the bottom being sculpted to fit the limbs), arms, legs(actually everything below the waist) and the lower fuselage (the bits that the limbs make when folded up, egines, guns, etc. sculpted to fit over the parts limbs would attach to in airmech mode).  Attach the limbs to the battlemech torso to make the battlemech, attach the limbs to the airmech torso/upper fuselage to make the airmech, and attach the lower fuselage to the upper fuselage to make the fighter.  As long as hey sculpt everything to fit together, they can just make minis for two modes and get the intermediate mode without having to spend the money to sculpt it separately.  Put all the pieces in the same package and let us assemble either an airmech or a battlemech and a fighter or buy two packs and get all three modes.

I wouldn't be adverse to a smaller scale fighter mode mini as well.

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
« Reply #29 on: 07 February 2011, 09:21:11 »
It doesn't have to be 3 separate minis; in fact that would be somewhat wasteful and expensive.  Take advantage of the fact that airmech mode is in between battlemech mode and fighter mode.  Just do the fighter and battlemech minis and use them to build the airmech.

Sculpt based on sections: battlemech torso, airmech torso/upper fuselage (the bottom being sculpted to fit the limbs), arms, legs(actually everything below the waist) and the lower fuselage (the bits that the limbs make when folded up, egines, guns, etc. sculpted to fit over the parts limbs would attach to in airmech mode).  Attach the limbs to the battlemech torso to make the battlemech, attach the limbs to the airmech torso/upper fuselage to make the airmech, and attach the lower fuselage to the upper fuselage to make the fighter.  As long as hey sculpt everything to fit together, they can just make minis for two modes and get the intermediate mode without having to spend the money to sculpt it separately.  Put all the pieces in the same package and let us assemble either an airmech or a battlemech and a fighter or buy two packs and get all three modes.

I wouldn't be adverse to a smaller scale fighter mode mini as well.

would your plans work for the Mk I models in 3085 though?  they were much more diligently designed to ensure a proper transformation, which means that some parts for a mini the way you were describingwould be in two different forms for two different modes.
« Last Edit: 07 February 2011, 09:22:51 by JPArbiter »