Author Topic: The Diamond Shark tank and Sea Fox preserve: Cause somebody has to start it...  (Read 238107 times)

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Everytime I hear Fox Shark here I think of Gamma Aimag's new logo. Its hilarious.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Nice! 

Yeah, once picked up, Shark Fox is a tough term to simply drop from the lexicon.

edit: luckily, that's the worst of our problems.
« Last Edit: 09 April 2013, 12:51:34 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Hey, I like Gamma-Tiburon's logo! It's Delta-Spinate I'm having trouble with...
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Scrollreader

• Warrant Officer
Does anybody have/know where to find the Gamma-Tiburon logo in color?  It'd be a perfect forum avatar.  For that matter, do we have canon colors for the aimags yet?

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Hey Scroll

Maybe check over at Camospecs.  They will often have an updated unit logo and paint schemes for ya.

edit: just checked and it's not updated there yet, i think.   
« Last Edit: 09 April 2013, 13:24:42 by rebs »

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Scrollreader

• Warrant Officer
Sadly, Camospecs is still all Sharky.  No foxes except on the odd Klondike mech, and no new (Dark Age) stuff yet.  Thanks though.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
I did snag that fox insignia for Sigma while I was there.  Very nice. 

I'm sure we won't have to wait too long to find one. 

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Does anybody have/know where to find the Gamma-Tiburon logo in color?  It'd be a perfect forum avatar.  For that matter, do we have canon colors for the aimags yet?

Nope, and nothing officially official.

HOWEVER:
This shows a possible ilKhanate paint job (it has the ilKhanate's emblem on its right shoulder): http://bidwicket.com/Item/C/Collectible_Games/Mech_Warrior/Singles/Falcons_Prey/12240_Najeh_Hammond___Tiburon.html

This shows a possible Skate Khanate paint job: http://www.nightmoose.net/~cthulhu/mechwarrior/fp_pics/MWFP_149.jpg
...AND emblem/indentification of the Khanate found here (warning: PDF): http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/0/00/Falcon%27s_Prey_25.pdf

I like the paintjobs, although the Sea Foxes seem to be getting a bit morbid with their emblems.
« Last Edit: 09 April 2013, 13:50:29 by GreekFire »

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
This seems to be another Skate Khanate, not sure though: http://www.nightmoose.net/~cthulhu/mechwarrior/an_pics/MWAN_049.jpg
This one is for sure, it has the same emblem on its leg: http://www.nightmoose.net/~cthulhu/mechwarrior/an_pics/MWAN_053.jpg

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Is Sigma Galaxy still missing? They haven't been heard from since the reaving have they?

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
The only mention of Sigma that we put into our "Wars of Reaving" document details the 8th Cruiser Cluster's last stand on Paxon. The dezgra Blood Spirits carelessly let one of their futile Trial of Possessions spill into our civilian camps. While the 83rd Combined Strike Cluster assaulted the Blood Spirit position to smash these chalcas freebirths away from our lower casts, the honorless Coyotes snuck in to loot and gorge themselves on our supplies. Our 8th Cruiser righteously tore into the Coyote troops, beheading their command star in our fury, but ultimately the savage Homeworlders wiped out every last Warrior of the valiant 8th.

Sadly, Republic intelligence finally managed to put one and one together the time they released FM:3085 to their troops. They discovered our holdings in the Chainelane Isles, and most of Sigma Galaxy within it. Although they still do not know of what happened to the 61st Air Assault Cluster or the 79th Strike Cluster, they even managed to determine that our Loremaster was in command of the Moonskate Cluster at the time.

Our recent evolution into using the Aimag/Khanate system has lead us to completely rearrange and restructure of our Touman. It is most likely unknown to Republic forces where the elements of Sigma Galaxy may now be found at this time. I unfortunately cannot share this information with you over such unsecured channels.

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
This thread used to be quiet and abandoned, but look at it now.
TPTB has done a good job making the SharkFoxes interesting, and interesting enough that they might replace one of my top six factions.
Still, I want more DA info before I make up my mind.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
Indeed, I'm still a Coyote at heart first, but the Foxes are rapidly replacing the Ravens as my favorite IS clan.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
I was glad to see that the Sea Foxes actually made it through all the development decisions to become like what they were described as in Exploring the Stars.   

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
MY GOD I just noticed that we traded 4 WarShips for 4 Potemkins in 3090...it makes complete sense for us, but we could have run a harder deal than that T_T

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
TPTB has done a good job making the SharkFoxes interesting, and interesting enough that they might replace one of my top six factions.
Still, I want more DA info before I make up my mind.

The Diamond Sharks didn't have a good go of it in Revival. Ian Hawker made it really hard to like the Diamond Sharks. But they revived very well after they replaced him.

I'd always wanted to like them but the first sight you get of them being clan sea fox is a big shark holding one of the poor things up out of the water in its teeth. But thats also when their fluff was, "They have merchants"

But when I started reading more about them my favorite thing was that they are amazing strategists. They consider fortifications part of a bid. They have side objectives that can win them a net gain even if they lose. The clans are focused primarily on military strategy. But the Sea Foxes focus on Strategy. They focus on the end goal.

So then I think, "Well if I have a favorite clan its this one. With all of these horrible looking mechs." But hopefully they get much more involved. Because at this point its hard to think of roleplaying campaigns that utilize them well. :) Well. I say that, but when you read TRO's apparently Warrior Merchants are free to wander around the Inner Sphere and make deals.

So a Warrior Merchant is easy to rp. As for playing regular battles though I'm not sure. Alot of battles against pirates? Seems like they also fight quite a few trials against other clans.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
MY GOD I just noticed that we traded 4 WarShips for 4 Potemkins in 3090...it makes complete sense for us, but we could have run a harder deal than that T_T

Could we have? Potemkins are useful. Word of Blake with their dropships and naval auto cannons proved that a Warship isn't that useful.

And a Potemkin can carry twenty five of those...

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!

Three Potemkins and a Volga, actually.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
I wish we could have normal aerospace fighter pilots though. Clan Ghost Bear gets all the luck. haha

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Three Potemkins and a Volga, actually.

I actually meant that, too. >.<

I've been re-looking through the Wars of Reaving, and man...I think the Sennet bloodhouse got hit *hard* by one of those genetic viruses. There are literally no Sennets in command anymore by FM:3085.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
I just finished my breakdown comparison of Pre- and Post-WoR Diamond Shark forces!! It took me a while, I was fiddling away on it every once in a while when I had the time. Things that I learnt:

-The Emerald Skate vanished into thin air after Angus Labov died.
-Rho Spina Galaxy went throughout the entire Wars of Reaving without it, or any of its clusters, getting mentioned once. A few assumptions can be made, but nothing to explain its entire destruction.
-The 13th Cruiser is the sketchiest cluster in Rho Spina to disappear. Their commanding officer was a Warrior who had retired to the Scientist caste before returning to active duty and skyrocketing through the ranks. He was also noted at being quite political, and creating a loyal cadre of Warriors around him.
-Not a single commanding officer present before the Wars of Reaving (except for Alan Hawker, Barbara Sennet and possibly a few WarShip/AeroFighter ones) was in command by 3085.
-The 27th Combined Strike Cluster and the 44th Cruiser Cluster became Evil with a capital E after being gifted to the Coyotes. Kinda shows what some Sharks will do in order to survive.
-We have 3 different Star Colonels who came from the Coyotes.

I can post the text file if anyone is interested.

wellspring

• Lieutenant

The Shark Foxes were my favorite clan all the way back to Invading Clans. Loved them from day one. Hated the Thresher, mind you, but loved the clan. Along with the Star Adders, they seem like Clan Grownups to me-- have their eyes on the ball, while the other clans are chasing glory and white elephant conquests.

However, I'm thrilled at seeing all the new players flocking to the Sea Fox banner. And the writing and elaboration we've seen lately is a major part of it. Plus, they're something different. The closest faction to them is ComStar, and the Foxes play a much better and more subtle game than them.

Could we have? Potemkins are useful. Word of Blake with their dropships and naval auto cannons proved that a Warship isn't that useful.

And a Potemkin can carry twenty five of those...

And look how adding dropship collars adds to the manufacturing cost. versus weapons and armor that are mostly per-ton prices. Worth every penny. BTW, it also reduced the other clans' ability to compete at the same time. And seeing how fast the warships were slagged later, the deal was an unmixed blessing-- bordering on highway robbery.

I wish we could have normal aerospace fighter pilots though. Clan Ghost Bear gets all the luck. haha

Yeah, true enough. Though the Foxes are notorious for playing around with their genetics and breeding protocols more than most clans. Having large sibkos, they can afford to take risks that other clans won't. So we can hope they revamp their aerospace policy.

But when I started reading more about them my favorite thing was that they are amazing strategists. They consider fortifications part of a bid. They have side objectives that can win them a net gain even if they lose. The clans are focused primarily on military strategy. But the Sea Foxes focus on Strategy. They focus on the end goal.

Totally agree. Like I said, Clan Grownup. Also agree re: Ian Hawker, who was dumber than a sack full of hammers. I love how he killed himself after the Great Refusal because he couldn't stand an age of peace. Thus, having failed to see any fighting in Revival except the humiliation at Tukayyid, he died and thus missed out of the Wars of Possession, Jihad, and Wars of Reaving. Did the clan a massive favor. His legacy should be permanently mothballed.

I just finished my breakdown comparison of Pre- and Post-WoR Diamond Shark forces!! It took me a while, I was fiddling away on it every once in a while when I had the time. Things that I learnt:

-Rho Spina Galaxy went throughout the entire Wars of Reaving without it, or any of its clusters, getting mentioned once. A few assumptions can be made, but nothing to explain its entire destruction.
-The 13th Cruiser is the sketchiest cluster in Rho Spina to disappear. Their commanding officer was a Warrior who had retired to the Scientist caste before returning to active duty and skyrocketing through the ranks. He was also noted at being quite political, and creating a loyal cadre of Warriors around him.
-Not a single commanding officer present before the Wars of Reaving (except for Alan Hawker, Barbara Sennet and possibly a few WarShip/AeroFighter ones) was in command by 3085.
-The 27th Combined Strike Cluster and the 44th Cruiser Cluster became Evil with a capital E after being gifted to the Coyotes. Kinda shows what some Sharks will do in order to survive.

(Snip...)

Yes, please do! It would be interesting if the Diamond Sharks turned out to have been much more deeply involved in the Society than they let on. Though it might also be explained by the fact that the Coyotes were allies. I never noticed that atrocities were committed by "Coyotes" who were really former Sharks.

Come to think of it, the Cloud Cobras were, also. The Blood Spirits and Hell's Horses had close mercantile ties. The Star Adders and Diamond Sharks were friendly rivals-- they fought, but also deeply respected one another. The Goliath Scorpions were on relatively good terms as well. Of all the clans that survived the Wars of Reaving, all were on good terms or better with the Sharks prior to the War. And whereas most of the IS clans were driven out early, the Sharks stayed pretty much to the end.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Seconded on the spread.

WoR briefly mentioned near the beginning that the Cobras were watching the Shark Foxes with an eye toward supplanting them as the mercantile force in the Homeworlds.  Like their Adder allies, they sat quietly and harnessed the vicious strengths of the Steel Vipers to do their dirty work for them.   

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
You know...now that we are officially in the Dark Age, I guess I am going to need to switch myself over at some point to a new Sea Fox avatar, as they were the faction I finally settled on in MW:DA/AoD..I have been watching the developments on them for a while, of course.

I wonder if the Sea Foxes have/use Protomechs?
Also, still not sure which Aimeg I am ultimately going to go with...But I SOOOOOOO want Tiburon miniatures now!
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

wellspring

• Lieutenant

Possible, because they do like to experiment. But doubtful; blowing through warriors due to EI-related brain burn just isn't good for business. Especially since the Sea Foxes avoid fighting when possible. Especially since a great many plan on retirement once they have a blood name (or definitively won't be earning one).

Protos are ideal for factions that are personnel-heavy and resources-light. The Sea Foxes have the opposite problems. Better to trade for the tech and keep an eye on things... if they EI burnout problem can be solved then they might well adopt them.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel

I agree with wellspring in that they're extremely unlikely to use them.

I'd like to add that selling them does seem somewhat likely, however.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
I attached the doc, Trothkin! Made it in TextEdit, hope the formating/colours are OK. If not, I can upload a different format.

The Shark Foxes were my favorite clan all the way back to Invading Clans. Loved them from day one. Hated the Thresher, mind you, but loved the clan. Along with the Star Adders, they seem like Clan Grownups to me-- have their eyes on the ball, while the other clans are chasing glory and white elephant conquests.

We've always gotten the funky 'Mechs. Even this TRO, we have a variety of...oddities, and a few below-average designs that we happen to be selling. HOWEVER!! We no longer have the Dasher II on our RAT. Eat that, Ghost Bear fans!!

However, I'm thrilled at seeing all the new players flocking to the Sea Fox banner. And the writing and elaboration we've seen lately is a major part of it. Plus, they're something different. The closest faction to them is ComStar, and the Foxes play a much better and more subtle game than them.

The more, the merrier!! We've gotten a lot of visitors in the past few days, I hope a few stick around.

And look how adding dropship collars adds to the manufacturing cost. versus weapons and armor that are mostly per-ton prices. Worth every penny. BTW, it also reduced the other clans' ability to compete at the same time. And seeing how fast the warships were slagged later, the deal was an unmixed blessing-- bordering on highway robbery.

Oh yeah, it's definitely worth every penny for us. And we definitely got the better part of the deal (at least, for now). But the Snow Ravens have their obsession with aerospace forces, and they had just lost a ton of WarShips, too. I'm sure we could have pressured them to add on a few trade concessions in addition to everything else. Fleece 'em nice and solid.

Yeah, true enough. Though the Foxes are notorious for playing around with their genetics and breeding protocols more than most clans. Having large sibkos, they can afford to take risks that other clans won't. So we can hope they revamp their aerospace policy.

I wonder if we're one of the Clans fiddling around with Elstars.

Totally agree. Like I said, Clan Grownup. Also agree re: Ian Hawker, who was dumber than a sack full of hammers. I love how he killed himself after the Great Refusal because he couldn't stand an age of peace. Thus, having failed to see any fighting in Revival except the humiliation at Tukayyid, he died and thus missed out of the Wars of Possession, Jihad, and Wars of Reaving. Did the clan a massive favor. His legacy should be permanently mothballed.

My god, imagine if Ian Hawker had been around for the Wars of Reaving. What an unmitigated disaster *that* would have been...today I was hunting for the remains of the Emerald Skate, and I ended up reading through all of the passages talking about Angus Labov. The man did so much for the Sharks, it's incredible. I don't think Barbara Sennet would have gone nearly as far without him acting behind the scenes. It's a shame he got taken out by a stray knife.

Yes, please do! It would be interesting if the Diamond Sharks turned out to have been much more deeply involved in the Society than they let on. Though it might also be explained by the fact that the Coyotes were allies. I never noticed that atrocities were committed by "Coyotes" who were really former Sharks.

It's two Clusters of the Sharks that were handed over. They aren't explicitly said to have committed any atrocities, but based upon where they went and what was happening there, you can safely assume that they did some pretty terrible things.

The Coyotes were allies at first; it's why the Clusters (and some enclaves) were handed over in the first place. After the Coyotes decided to go gung-ho with the Society, though, everything changed. They starting trashing everything we held. The Coyotes turned out to be our worst enemies on the battlefield, although the Vipers (with their Khan-killing, fleet-smashing ways) were terrible in their own way.

WoR briefly mentioned near the beginning that the Cobras were watching the Shark Foxes with an eye toward supplanting them as the mercantile force in the Homeworlds.  Like their Adder allies, they sat quietly and harnessed the vicious strengths of the Steel Vipers to do their dirty work for them.   

What I recently noticed about the Cobras is that they survived the Wars of Reaving by being very cautious, and very smart. They saw Stanislov's rising star early, and decided to ride his coattails and stay friends with the Adders no matter what instead of try to fight them with their extremely small and under-experienced Touman. Even later in the Wars they rarely went into combat on their own, unless they had a well-planned out campaign ahead of them. Tanis, of course, is the exception...but Tanis always was the thorn in the Cobras' side.

You know...now that we are officially in the Dark Age, I guess I am going to need to switch myself over at some point to a new Sea Fox avatar, as they were the faction I finally settled on in MW:DA/AoD..I have been watching the developments on them for a while, of course.

JOIN USSSSS

The Foxes no longer use ProtoMechs :/
I can no longer justify their use as a Fox player. It'll be a cold day in Hell before I play their Horses, and I'm not exactly a huge fan of the Ravens either. I guess I'll stick to pre-Dark Age games for my ProtoRockin' ways.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Indeed Cobras are very careful.  That's been their pattern since the time of Rafe Kardaan.  They too get to be classed with the grownup Clans, I would say.   :)

OK... I have a hypothesis about what happened to Rho Spina:  Could they have possibly been embarked on Dropships attached to the Black Diamond Naval Star?  You know...   the one that the CSV Perigard Zalman belly-smashed during its first battle.   (nice doc, by the way)

That's a good way for an entire galaxy to disappear without word of battle or even the prospect of one.   
« Last Edit: 11 April 2013, 02:24:43 by rebs »

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
alternatively, because they're such good people persons they may have ejected the trouble makers from their clan before everything hit the fan. They did that with all of their crusaders.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
One question . . . with the Shark/Foxes having sold a LOT of Nova Cat produced equipment- Jousts, Shoden, Arbalest, Ocelots, Clan BA, Void, SM1 series and other items . . . does anyone think they will take the cream of the designs and keep producing them?

I say this as a big Joust/SM1/Clan BA/Void fan.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."