Author Topic: Okay, I give...  (Read 6461 times)

Aotrs Commander

• Warrant Officer
Okay, I give...
« on: 07 November 2020, 07:41:34 »
Flappy-bits (between havoc legs) go where?

https://photos.smugmug.com/Primary-Gallery/i-xkksWDc/0/9bd2cbb5/X3/Havocwhere-X3.jpg

Can't see anything on the pictures (there are not many out there).

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Okay, I give...
« Reply #1 on: 07 November 2020, 08:02:56 »
Use this for reference.

Aotrs Commander

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 07 November 2020, 08:07:26 »
That was the first image I looked at, I still can't see where those bits should go...? Somewhere at the back...?

*continues preparing mechs to be washed*

OH GODS SARATH WHY

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #3 on: 07 November 2020, 09:13:31 »
Butt flaps (no seriously that’s where they go

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

BairdEC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 07 November 2020, 09:27:40 »
This might help.

Aotrs Commander

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 07 November 2020, 09:28:57 »

I see.

Frack, that's going to be difficult.

Better leave that until I've got the legs (and that's challenge enough1).

At least it tells me which way round the hip-thingy goes...

Might even leave them off completely, if it seems to be too hard...

Thanks, folks.

*looks at two Revenants*

(BECAUSE THEY LOOKED SO COOL)

Nope, not today...

1Call me an old-fashioned heretic, but I oh so very much prefer my models to be in as few pieces as possible. (Ideally, one, plus turrets if you need turrets that turn.) This "legs and feet are three seperate parts" might be wonderful for the modeller types (like the chaps who repose all the plastics and stuff, whose skills are far beyond my abilities2, but it makes me cry...

(When I post pictures of the Havoc and Agrotera and your beautiful designs are contorted into bizarre poses that make your eyes hurt under my errant fingers, you only have yourselves to blame, IWM...! You made me do this!)

2My modelling skills are almost entirely all 3D printing-based....
« Last Edit: 07 November 2020, 10:17:07 by Aotrs Commander »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #6 on: 07 November 2020, 09:50:21 »
Recent years have seen an overall drop in parts counts. A lot of the ~2013-2017 dark age guys have a lot of parts. The real nightmares are some of the project phoenix offerings like the thunderbolt and the missile bay doors on the archer.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Aotrs Commander

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 07 November 2020, 10:11:27 »
Recent years have seen an overall drop in parts counts. A lot of the ~2013-2017 dark age guys have a lot of parts. The real nightmares are some of the project phoenix offerings like the thunderbolt and the missile bay doors on the archer.

That's my trouble, innit, I apparently REALLY like a lot of the dark age designs. (Agrotech, Lament, Targe, Havoc, Tundra Wolf; quite fancy a Malice...)

(Did absolutely leave the what I think was the missile bay door off the Highlander IIC. There's no way that would have stayed on for more than two minutes, given that I have to store my mechs wrapped up in tins and not on a shelf or something.)

Notably, despite having seperate feet, Quadimodo went together like a good, reliable boy with near no fuss, and despite making me cry at the number of parts, the Sarath was actually less hassle than the Havoc. (Though the Havoc being the only mech I have seen thus far that had to come with a little picture inside to tell you how to put the legs together was a warning sign...!)

Commense eyebleeding! ('Cos this is as good as it's gonna get...)

Larger

Larger

He... used to be a MechWarrior like you until he took an Arrow IV to the knee...?

I'm not sorry.

(BTA 3062 takes the blame for that quote, anyway.)
« Last Edit: 07 November 2020, 10:19:17 by Aotrs Commander »

BairdEC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 07 November 2020, 12:09:02 »
I ended up pinning the two plates on.  I don't think they'll stay put one you pack it in a tray.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 07 November 2020, 12:30:17 »
I think that those two plates go in the back and not the pelvis.

BairdEC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 07 November 2020, 13:02:53 »
If they go on the back instead of the waist, I'm not sure where.  There aren't any notches where the tabs would fit other than the cutouts on the waist.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 07 November 2020, 17:31:42 »
Perhaps the slots circled in yellow.

Looking at the art, I don't see these parts.  Maybe that was put in the box by mistake.
« Last Edit: 07 November 2020, 17:39:37 by jimdigris »

Aotrs Commander

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 07 November 2020, 20:06:43 »
Now that I have some idea what to look at, you can just see what looks like the curve of on at the back of that IWM picture jimdigris posted.

As to exactly where they fit, though... They don't fit in those indicated slots, not obviously (I tried before I assembled it - and just, too, since of them bust off rather easily).

(Also, damn, the black spray primer doesn't seem to have done well today - but dangit, I washed the stuff off before I did anything in washing up liquid and boiling water...)

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: 07 November 2020, 23:19:09 »
Perhaps the slots circled in yellow.

Looking at the art, I don't see these parts.  Maybe that was put in the box by mistake.

No, no mistake. The position shown by BairdEC is correct.
There is a rear angle here: http://www.camospecs.com/Miniature/Details/7436

And there is also this image, of MWDA minis, given by Brent to the artist who did the work for the BT version (resized for forums limits, and re-named)  ;):

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #14 on: 08 November 2020, 01:42:53 »
Call me an old-fashioned heretic, but I oh so very much prefer my models to be in as few pieces as possible. (Ideally, one, plus turrets if you need turrets that turn.) This "legs and feet are three seperate parts" might be wonderful for the modeller types (like the chaps who repose all the plastics and stuff, whose skills are far beyond my abilities, but it makes me cry...

Speaking as someone who enthusiastically desecrates plastic minis, trust me, I'm totally on your side. Been arguing "base/feet/legs/waist one part, torso one part, arms one part each" in metals for decades. Happy to refer to the Reseen Thud as a bag of metal shavings.

THing is, if you start with one-piece, or four-piece, metal minis in a reasonably dynamic pose you don't have to mod them. Especially if the arms & torso can be twisted. If it weren't for the super-fiddly missile covers, the Reseen Archer would be my Platonic ideal - four pieces just as I mentioned. Put the arms up or down! Twist the torso! Each mini becomes different and vibrant, and no more tears.

With plastics, it's all so much easier. You can choose to leave them alone, or chop apart only the bits you want to mod. And while I pin most plastic limb mods - it's so much easier - even that's not essential, unless you choose to make it!

Yup, the Sarath wasn't bad. But others? Preach it to the choir!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Aotrs Commander

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 08 November 2020, 09:49:40 »
No, no mistake. The position shown by BairdEC is correct.
There is a rear angle here: http://www.camospecs.com/Miniature/Details/7436

And there is also this image, of MWDA minis, given by Brent to the artist who did the work for the BT version (resized for forums limits, and re-named)  ;):

AAH, just the sort of thing I had looked for but couldn't find.

Weird, UI wobnder why it didn't come up when I did a google image search. Camospecs didn't appear at all, it only found the far right image as on the IMW page. (As Camospecs has often come up when I've looked for other mechs, I didn't check it specifically.)

Well, re-glue the butt-flap again (having sprayed it, before it came off, though, I noticed there was a bit on the leg that it was also apparently touching (no paint), so it should be a bit more securely glued this time.

Kinda need to re-spray it a bit anyway. I wonder if I just didn't do too many mechs at once.

(Got two revenant and a Catapult II to build yet, plus this thing to spray (though I need to do a little bit of fixing first, it didn't come out quite perfect, but I'm not running a 24-print to do it again, just go to fill a little bit in on it.)

Speaking as someone who enthusiastically desecrates plastic minis, trust me, I'm totally on your side. Been arguing "base/feet/legs/waist one part, torso one part, arms one part each" in metals for decades. Happy to refer to the Reseen Thud as a bag of metal shavings.

THing is, if you start with one-piece, or four-piece, metal minis in a reasonably dynamic pose you don't have to mod them. Especially if the arms & torso can be twisted. If it weren't for the super-fiddly missile covers, the Reseen Archer would be my Platonic ideal - four pieces just as I mentioned. Put the arms up or down! Twist the torso! Each mini becomes different and vibrant, and no more tears.

With plastics, it's all so much easier. You can choose to leave them alone, or chop apart only the bits you want to mod. And while I pin most plastic limb mods - it's so much easier - even that's not essential, unless you choose to make it!

Yup, the Sarath wasn't bad. But others? Preach it to the choir!

Yeah, you don't need much to get differences, since a few little things is enough. I did any Undead sci-fi army using a mix of old GW plastic stuff a good few years back, and notably, because I was sticking the arms and heads and stuff on seperate-like, it ended up looking more dynamic than all my mates' regular armies. (I also did mod my unseen boxe-set Archer by juts moving one arm raised, so even I do it very occasionally, it it's easy.) These days, where I make my own stuff on CAD/3D print, I found doing the infantry for my 144 scifi that even if you do pose a model in the same sort of stance (e.g. walking with rifle), if you do it twice, it does look slightly different, because you don't ge it exactly the same every time. (I admittedly cheat and only aim to do enough different poses for a squad of troops (circa eight), 'cos infantry and walkers is very time consuming compared to tanks and starships!)

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: 08 November 2020, 14:35:24 »
I still think the painted one of that Mech I have is missing the butt plates. I forgot about them before handing to my brother to paint it... lol

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: 08 November 2020, 22:23:17 »
AAH, just the sort of thing I had looked for but couldn't find.

Weird, UI wobnder why it didn't come up when I did a google image search. Camospecs didn't appear at all, it only found the far right image as on the IMW page. (As Camospecs has often come up when I've looked for other mechs, I didn't check it specifically.)

Yeah, I checked through some google searches first as well without luck, and then went digging. Even knowing what I was after, it was a pain. 

Back to dealing with the butt plates, at least they're not as big as the Atlas III's knee plates! The Havoc cooperated pretty well for me, but those knees are hard to work around and not accidently bump, squeeze, or look at the wrong way.

Aotrs Commander

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 09 November 2020, 08:28:24 »
Yeah, I checked through some google searches first as well without luck, and then went digging. Even knowing what I was after, it was a pain. 

Back to dealing with the butt plates, at least they're not as big as the Atlas III's knee plates! The Havoc cooperated pretty well for me, but those knees are hard to work around and not accidently bump, squeeze, or look at the wrong way.

I'm glad it's not just me. I could have sworn blind I'd gotten that left leg straight when I stuck on and bottom together, and it was such a faff getting it together I didn't notice the wonky alignment until I'd finished as was like "no, that's as good a it gets..."

Edit: Motherfracker! Just came to start painting my Calliope, and found the torso was on backwards. DAMMIT, I was so careful, I checked beforehand. I can vaguely recall that the head or torso slipped out of my fingers while trying to put it on, and the torso must have turned around when I didn't notice.

Thank frack it's not one of the hard ones to reassemble (and that I managed to dismantle it...)

Also, again a little concerned at how easy the primer seems to be coming off. I washed it before I started assembly and this is car primer...

What do9 you fo9lk wash it in and for how long?
« Last Edit: 09 November 2020, 09:25:11 by Aotrs Commander »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #19 on: 28 December 2020, 16:23:43 »
Miss this . . .

But yeah, the butt flaps.  I had a topic about them on the mini forum a year or so ago . . . those notches are worthless- I ended up leaving them off.

The recent minis are lightyears better than the TRO PP/67 releases- some of mine sat in baggies for 15 years waiting to be put together.  Opened them up, saw all the parts and 'nope'd them into a bag.  This was after trying to put the Solitaire's legs together where I had to expand the base it came with b/c the accidental running pose of the 3 leg bits.  It caused me to go into the 'if the mini has more than 5 pieces, I am not getting it' camp . . . until recently.  I used to look for pictures of what was in the blister- had topics where I asked the part count and ease of assembly. 

While new minis might have legs with 3 pieces before connecting to the waist . . . they actually connect easily.  Except for the butt flaps, the Havoc was fine- heck it would be easier now with my clamps- along with all the other multi-part minis like the Juliano, mentioned Quasimodo, Lament and more.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #20 on: 28 December 2020, 16:43:30 »
Re washing - warm soapy water & rub with fingers, rinse (otherwise you're replacing mould release with soap), and let dry.

But I remember some CAV Bones minis I ended up giving a 'soak' in oven cleaner to get them to hold paint.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"