Author Topic: Conversion ideas  (Read 7837 times)

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Conversion ideas
« on: 27 March 2017, 14:08:56 »
I love the Woodsman Omni mech but dislike its chicken arms and have similar gripe with the KingFisher omni. Does this group have suggestions on which omni parts/pods would fit well to make alternate configs? For reference here are the models I am looking to modify:

http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=8522

and

http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=1937

Basically which arms from other mechs will fit to make a beefier looking model?

Luciora

• Major
Re: Conversion ideas
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2017, 12:12:14 »
Have you looked at the omnimech parts section yet?  Plenty of choices there.  I think its roughly the same size as the current sculpts of the assault omnis so you will have alot of good choices.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2017, 13:16:13 »
I have and I am thinking the Madcat or Ryoken parts would be my best bet but I am not sure...

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 28 March 2017, 14:49:16 »
I think you will end up having to build up the shoulders depending on which weapons you choose.  I'll be posting pictures in the Gladiator/Executioner thread after work showing off some custom weapons builds representing different omni loadouts and some custom ones.  What you could do is cut the arms at the elbow region and then attach the desired weapon if you don't mind keeping the shoulders as-is.

Otherwise what loadouts are you considering?  I can look at my Kingfisher and Woodsman and make a better guess at arm matching later on.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 28 March 2017, 20:08:24 »
Actually it would be two ppc arms for both! Or just a beefier looking omni pod that I could mount on them. As these two designs are zombie like I want them to be bulky and tough looking

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2017, 14:29:47 »
So looking for ppc arm suggestions

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 30 March 2017, 14:49:09 »
Maybe the original omni assault arms.  The Woodsman is easier to utilize the pod arms than the Kingfisher because of the mini design.  The Highlander has a nice thick arm design that I've used as a mod basis but does require some sawing and modding to utilize another gun that could work for the Woodsman.

The Kingfisher is harder to mod with sufficiently thick shoulder attachment points.  But perhaps the usual PPC pods or the UAC could work if you could scratchbuild or modify how it gets attached.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 30 March 2017, 20:08:17 »
Would the warhammer iic arms be too big for the kingfisher?

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 31 March 2017, 08:50:43 »
The scale is way off.  I didn't realize how small the Kingfisher was until I took mine out of storage to check

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 31 March 2017, 10:53:04 »
First off thanks!

And wow the Kingfisher is small! For what I have read its this lumbering brute of mech - and we clearly need a new sculpt. How do I submit this for fan financing?

In the short term could I cut up a Thor or Madcat omni pod to make the PPC's? If so which ones?

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 31 March 2017, 18:45:46 »
Hmm going over the sculpt size of the Kingfisher  you might be better off modding the arms of the medium omnis like the Fenris or Uller.  The Blackhawk's PPCs are pretty much the same as the Thor or Mad Cat so would be out of scale.  The Puma prime might work too.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 31 March 2017, 19:49:49 »
Yup I am right there with you! Ordering some and will post pics

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 12 April 2017, 09:33:45 »
The scale is way off.  I didn't realize how small the Kingfisher was until I took mine out of storage to check

If I cut off the legs at the hips and used another mechs hip joints or even legs what would you recommend?

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 12 April 2017, 14:28:28 »
That's a good question, I'm not sure making it taller, without bulking out the body as well would work.  Plus adding larger arms and legs might end up giving it really odd proportions. 

If I cut off the legs at the hips and used another mechs hip joints or even legs what would you recommend?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #14 on: 12 April 2017, 19:51:05 »
Two exellent pieces of work in terms of improving the Kingfisher:

JimDiGris modded this one into a more dynamic version:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=43140.msg993019#msg993019

While IAmClanWolf went the whole conversion path:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=48974.msg1131029#msg1131029

Inspiration! O0
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 13 April 2017, 09:56:33 »
Great find!

Two exellent pieces of work in terms of improving the Kingfisher:

JimDiGris modded this one into a more dynamic version:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=43140.msg993019#msg993019

While IAmClanWolf went the whole conversion path:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=48974.msg1131029#msg1131029

Inspiration! O0

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 20 April 2017, 11:08:21 »
I have a king fisher on its way in the mail but I was also wondering if I could just modify another model such as:

http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=9334

To represent another config of it

Thoughts?

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 20 April 2017, 18:57:33 »
The beauty of battletech is that is can be a game of proxies.  If you can take a mech and modify enough to look like another, unless you have a very rules/wysiwyg opponent, it really doesn't matter. 

Taking your Rifleman III there,  as a side example, i converted the Primative Rifleman to the 1N spec in terms of weapons and overall looks.  I've also converted a later model Atlas to look like an Atlas II, and have plenty more examples.

Many builders on this board for example have scratchbuilt the humble Marauder out of countless other mechs, including non-btech sources like CAV.

So yeah, get your mod on and I'm very sure many of us are looking forward to your work!

I have a king fisher on its way in the mail but I was also wondering if I could just modify another model such as:

http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=9334

To represent another config of it

Thoughts?

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 02 May 2017, 10:59:30 »

So after looking at my recently delivered lingfisher it kind of at least from the waist up looks like a warhammer IIC i think I may base my conversion of that as well

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #19 on: 24 July 2017, 23:02:04 »
One thing to consider, the Warhammer IIC is known to be too big or one of the bigger ones in regards to scale.  For instance, take a look at a Dire Wolf next to that Kingfisher and I do not think you will be disappoint.

With that said, do what you want.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 03 August 2017, 23:05:41 »
Every thing I have read about the fisher paints a picture of a huge blocky mech wade into the fight. If the whammy IIC fits that bill then I am on it

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 05 August 2017, 00:07:58 »
One more mech you can consider,  the Perseus.  It's big and blocky.  I'm working on one right now turning it into the B config,  and I was reminded of your question.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 05 August 2017, 02:17:20 »
How much work involved in removing the big-arse missile rack? Other than that, it's relatively easy - trim the left arm & mount two muzzle tips for the LPLs, stick a large muzzle on the right for the Gauss, then add a muzzle tip on the left torso for the ERLL.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 06 August 2017, 08:16:51 »
If you have a decent saw and patience, not very hard at all.  Now if you want to take off the rack and try to salvage and rebuild the arm for other uses, that takes work. :D

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 06 August 2017, 08:20:44 »
I custom built the large pulse arm from a MAD-4X arm and an old Warhammer shoulder.  Looks a bit smallish but it works.  The gauss arm I modified with a highlander arm after chopping off most of the laser barrel  (saving it in my bits box)

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 09 September 2017, 19:29:05 »
I custom built the large pulse arm from a MAD-4X arm and an old Warhammer shoulder.  Looks a bit smallish but it works.  The gauss arm I modified with a highlander arm after chopping off most of the laser barrel  (saving it in my bits box)

Nice idea!

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 11 September 2017, 01:42:48 »
Not one of my better color combos.

Nice idea!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 11 September 2017, 19:16:09 »
Good conversion! Perseus B. Always nice to see Perseus mods; I've only done one (a D), and haven't tackled removing the LRM launcher like you did.

W.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 12 September 2017, 09:02:55 »
Thanks.  I'm not very fond of the design overall and the B seemed the easiest to customize given my bits at the time.  I could tackle the LRM version one day.

Good conversion! Perseus B. Always nice to see Perseus mods; I've only done one (a D), and haven't tackled removing the LRM launcher like you did.

W.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 27 October 2017, 12:00:50 »
I picked up the Black Python 3 arms ( great bitz!!) and when I dry fitted them onto the woodsmans body it made it look an archer

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #30 on: 28 October 2017, 00:09:36 »
That I want to see.

I picked up the Black Python 3 arms ( great bitz!!) and when I dry fitted them onto the woodsmans body it made it look an archer

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 01 November 2017, 10:56:19 »
Give me a bit - my 4 yr olds "help" with storage has resulted in several missing items...

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 08 November 2017, 13:41:23 »
 You asked about a substitute for the Balius in the CHH thread right?  Sticking with IWM parts, you'd probably be looking at frankenmech'ing it maybe using the Quadvees as a base.  At least that's what comes to mind for me.

The Balius for me was a fun little build  project with a totem mech that had options. 

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 12 February 2018, 19:52:10 »
Yup I am right there with you! Ordering some and will post pics

You know the doloire mech looks like it could be a good sub for the fisher