Author Topic: Jumpship/warship sails  (Read 1674 times)

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
Jumpship/warship sails
« on: 03 July 2020, 21:25:58 »
Does anyone have an idea how jumpship sails fold up? Going by almost any piece of art, the arms form a ring around the engine block and the sail is held out behind all that like a big parachute

But when it folds up, where does the sail go exactly? Don't the engine nozzels get in the way? Or does the sail somehow split apart...
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

"Question: Under zellbrigen, how does one engage Shadow Divisions?
Answer: With orbital bombardment."

73rd Battle Cluster - The Lash

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
Re: Jumpship/warship sails
« Reply #1 on: 03 July 2020, 23:08:02 »
The arms extend, causing the jumpsail to fold into a hollow tube extending out behind the ship.  There's still a hole in the middle of the tube for the engine exhaust, even if you're not supposed to be using thrust with the sail, period.  (I'm pretty sure Warship sails are detachable)

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #2 on: 03 July 2020, 23:38:04 »
Sure, but what I'm asking is, from the set up of the arms, if you retract the sail, won't it just cover the engine exhaust port?
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2020, 00:11:10 »
Nope, because of the hole in the middle of the jumpsail.  That hole remains when the sail collapses.

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2020, 00:40:11 »
you know, I never noticed the hole in any of the jumpship artwork...I always kinda assumed it was just a design on the sail

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 04 July 2020, 06:11:49 »
I have always thought myomer was somehow involved in the process.  Sails are incredibly light for their mass and surface area.  On the Scout deck plans I worked on, I figured the sail was stored on rolls parallel to the core.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 04 July 2020, 08:47:29 »
One option would be similar to a pleated lamp shade or pleated dress.  Both of these have a surface that is folded, but has an opening in the center (for light, or legs)

Imagine a flat circular sheet, with a hole in the center.  When it is time to fold up the sail, the covers for the compartment where the sail will be stored are opened.  Once these covers are verified open (and the interior checked) lines carefully pull on the sail, so it starts forming the ridges and valleys.  The sail as a whole is being slowly pulled 'upward' past the engine nozzle, and inwards to the hull of the ship.  As the sail gets closer to the hull of the ship, the pleats in the sail get more pronounced, and the sail goes from being a flat plane to being more of a horizontal tube.  You will likely have to fold the sail 'length-wise' so the radius of the sail is short enough to fit in the compartment.

By pleating, I mean something like this (but imagine a hole in the center, instead of the point):
https://www.mdpi.com/symmetry/symmetry-11-01101/article_deploy/html/images/symmetry-11-01101-g004-550.jpg

Or for an idea of where the material is wrapped around, you might go with this (page 17, row 'e'):
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/e284/c945c73d34137a6c1eaf63931e078cb8e4af.pdf

Or like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThwuT3_AG6w
Times to watch are: 0:10, 6:18, 15:45,

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 04 July 2020, 09:09:57 »
I went through some of the calculations with Cray... folding is definitely part of the process.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #8 on: 09 July 2020, 11:09:25 »
(I'm pretty sure Warship sails are detachable) 

Newer ones are.   Original ones were not.

I forget where its mentioned but Detachable jump sails w/ Batteries attached was something that developed by the SLDF.

So they could detach & collect while the WS on on maneuvers.  It was in the SLSB or TRO2750 IIRC.

Previously they had to sit to charge or use up their fuel to internal charge while on maneuvers.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #9 on: 09 July 2020, 11:19:27 »
At first when you said folding I was thinking as the sail rolled out from the ring or from the ship.

And I imagined the sail as being in pie shaped pieces.

Now I'm imagining it like donuts with a knife slice in it to create a separation.

And I imagine it extending around the ring inch by inch like a curtain on a rod or a shower drape.

So the sail would fold up into a single long bunch like opening the shower & then the whole long strip would get pulled into a storage cylinder running the length of the ship.

Basically imagine horizontal blinds that once raised into a  tight bundle then retracted left/right into a hollow in the window frame.

The ring could also likely be hollow & to allow it to collapse in on itself like 2 hollow tubes to retract into a smaller ring size forward of the engine exhaust so that WS could maneuver & not leave the framework open to enemy fire or random space junk or out of control ASF.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo