Author Topic: Just getting into it.  (Read 23261 times)

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
Re: Just getting into it.
« Reply #90 on: 13 August 2016, 17:21:13 »
Appraisal is for evaluation of stuff.  Yes it would most likely come up for determining the value of art work and precious objects but it can also be used to appraise battle damage to help determine man hours and costs of repairs.  A little imagination and it can be a very useful skill.

If I was GM, I'd let Appraisal be used for determining how old a piece of tech is as well.
Yes the Tech roll determined this was part of a double heat sink. However when you look at the wiring and (insert other jargon here) it seems to be from 3039, not from the Star League days like the merchant claimed.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Greyhind

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm Watching You
« Reply #91 on: 13 August 2016, 17:23:39 »
Techs don't get it, I don't think. It is a field skill for Engineers, though (to be fair, they are techs as a prerequisite). So I'd say that its appropriate for checking out Lostech (that you might not be trained in), or designing something in a broader sense (will it be both useful and economical?). You'd use the relevant electronic/mechanical/other skill for actually fiddling with a gizmo that is in front of you but I wouldn't expect a tech to always know what the currant market price is for guass rifle ammo when they don't have to take the slugs apart and put them together again. On the other hand an engineer might well be responcible for their project's budget.

There clearly is some cross-over but that's how life works isn't it? As you develop skills you become a more rounded person. Also, engineers are more likely to have disposable income and opportunity to buy art if they do want to.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #92 on: 13 August 2016, 17:28:08 »
Also, engineers are more likely to have disposable income and opportunity to buy art if they do want to.
Or use said art in some decent trades.

A Gauss Rifle for some old statue that local Lyran nobility has been drooling over? Comparable in price now.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Greyhind

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm Watching You
« Reply #93 on: 13 August 2016, 17:43:59 »
That's a good point. In real life criminals doing major trades use paintings as currancy because its easier to transport and hide than a crate of banknotes. Easier to liquidate into a bank account too. All you need is some paperwork and a buyer.

Engineer or Evil Engineer?!?

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #94 on: 13 August 2016, 17:47:01 »
Engineer or Evil Engineer?!?

And now I hope this inspires some player to make an evil Engineer Maxwell Klinger from M.A.S.H.  ;D

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #95 on: 13 August 2016, 17:52:18 »
Klinger?!?  No.   Radar. 

What? it was Radar that stole a jeep; one piece at a time. 
give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. 
Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

I like tabletop more anyway, computer games are for nerds!  -  Knallogfall

Stallion12

• Sergeant
« Reply #96 on: 13 August 2016, 19:12:50 »
Ok thanks, I'll use the ruling that tech tells you it's base cost and what it is, but apprasel let's you know if it's Lostech or a rare grade.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #97 on: 13 August 2016, 19:42:06 »
Techs don't get it, I don't think. It is a field skill for Engineers, though (to be fair, they are techs as a prerequisite). So I'd say that its appropriate for checking out Lostech (that you might not be trained in), or designing something in a broader sense (will it be both useful and economical?). You'd use the relevant electronic/mechanical/other skill for actually fiddling with a gizmo that is in front of you but I wouldn't expect a tech to always know what the currant market price is for guass rifle ammo when they don't have to take the slugs apart and put them together again. On the other hand an engineer might well be responcible for their project's budget.

There clearly is some cross-over but that's how life works isn't it? As you develop skills you become a more rounded person. Also, engineers are more likely to have disposable income and opportunity to buy art if they do want to.

Appraisal is the first skill in the field for Military Technicians.  :D

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #98 on: 13 August 2016, 21:16:20 »
Appraisal is the first skill in the field for Military Technicians.  :D

Only because they're alphabetical.  ;)

-

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #99 on: 13 August 2016, 21:59:38 »
Still it makes sense that a Technician should be able to figure out the costs of repairs and that does seem a reasonable use of Appraisal.

And Civilian Techs gets Appraisal too. ;D

Acolyte

• Lieutenant
« Reply #100 on: 14 August 2016, 04:24:24 »
I thought I read there are traits you can't get after character creation through xp, but I can't find it, a player needs to know because he would take them, which ones are they, or was it skills?

pg.333 Traits under character advancement.

- Shane
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion
It is by the coffee that my thoughts acquire speed
My teeth acquire stains
The stains become a warning
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.

Greyhind

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm Watching You
« Reply #101 on: 14 August 2016, 07:37:31 »
All right guys, it was funny I admit but I don't like how you changed my PDF behind my back. I know I looked at those skill fields last night! :-[

Stallion12

• Sergeant
« Reply #102 on: 14 August 2016, 13:27:14 »
A player wants to retrieve arrows like in dnd, he'll be using a crossbow. What's a good way to impliment that? An arch check after the battle?

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #103 on: 14 August 2016, 14:28:32 »
Or a Perception Test, or you could just give him a set percentage to get back.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #104 on: 14 August 2016, 15:49:24 »
With the abundance of bullets and guns, relying on bows and arrows seems a bit dubious but hey, they want to do it let them.

Stallion12

• Sergeant
« Reply #105 on: 15 August 2016, 14:48:52 »
What limits should I put on gun acessories? I'm not to familiar with them irl, but could they have a silencer and a barrel mounted flashlight and a laser site scope? I know it's my world, but I want it to make some sense.

Also, page 299,  prices for civilian ware, is that the range of the price, or does that mean something else.

bluedragon7

• Sergeant
« Reply #106 on: 15 August 2016, 15:06:08 »
Though at first one might think both flashlight and silencer go on the barrel, but a silencer is on the axis while the flashlight is parallel to it, so it should be no issue, you just might need a different adapter, but a strip of textile adhesive band around flashlight and silencer might do ;-)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #107 on: 15 August 2016, 15:34:26 »
For kit the biggest limiting factor does seem to be the weight of the stuff you're packing.  It does start adding up pretty fast and thus start adding penalties if you're not making exceptionally strong characters.

For civilian gear, yeah those are ranges there.

Greyhind

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm Watching You
« Reply #108 on: 15 August 2016, 17:14:19 »
I'd ban stuff based on game balance ie. what you don't want players to have/don't think is credible in the society you've built on this world. Just tell them that if it leaves the dropship the police will ask pointed questions.

As for accessories as far as logic is concerned the only thing I'd care about is weight/portability/discretion for hidden weapons. If they want five peripherals on their tiny garter belt pistol then let them. And have an military NPC sneer about their tacticoolness for verisimilitude.

In real life you could mount all three of those specific things on the same gun. You would have to put up with comments from the NPCs though.

The first number on the table is the cost of buying new (feel free to change those planet by planet if you like) whereas the second (the bigger number) is the cost of repairing finely enough that you can never tell it was damaged. Yeah, humanity in ATOW is not very environmentally aware are they? You should see some of the rules that the TacOps has for atmosphere contamination!

Stallion12

• Sergeant
« Reply #109 on: 16 August 2016, 00:59:10 »
Had another player ask about throwing weapons, do I treat their ap as if it were melee? I don't see the rules for how they work.

Also, a question about the prosthetics in the companion, another player asked, I said they existed but I don't know how strong, how powerful are they?
« Last Edit: 16 August 2016, 01:08:48 by Stallion12 »

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #110 on: 16 August 2016, 01:19:31 »
Had another player ask about throwing weapons, do I treat their ap as if it were melee? I don't see the rules for how they work.
Throwing weapons are ranged, I don't believe you factor in strength as you would a melee weapon.

Stallion12

• Sergeant
« Reply #111 on: 16 August 2016, 01:30:58 »
So how do you calculate their ap then since they are labeled m1.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #112 on: 16 August 2016, 07:56:50 »
The AP remains the same, its just 2M (for a Throwing Knife). The Damage is 1.

You'd treat it like any other ranged attack, adding to the Damage value +0.25 per MOS  on the attack roll, which uses the Throwing Weapons skill.

Then whoever the target is, would compare the M value of his armor, to figure out which value to use in resisting the attack.

Greyhind

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm Watching You
« Reply #113 on: 16 August 2016, 09:59:28 »
Also, a question about the prosthetics in the companion, another player asked, I said they existed but I don't know how strong, how powerful are they?
It ranges from peglegged pirates to better than what you were born with. The average prosthetic in the successor states would be slightly worse than your natural limb (then adjust for the character's access to wealth/medical tech ect.). Almost all prosthetics are obvious so you should roleplay. They can be discreet but you'd need serious some pull to get those.

Stallion12

• Sergeant
« Reply #114 on: 16 August 2016, 11:46:58 »
Ok cool, what about the weapon ones? Page 187 in the companion?

And thanks for clearing up throwing weapons.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #115 on: 16 August 2016, 15:57:04 »
Ok cool, what about the weapon ones? Page 187 in the companion?

And thanks for clearing up throwing weapons.

Modified or enhanced-capability prosthetics function like normal ones, for all intents and purposes, and can be similarly obvious or made to look more innocuous based on just how much expense is invested in their creation. Most of the Manei Domini cyborgs who were unveiled during the Jihad used Type 3 or 4 modified prosthetics with little to no concealment, so their added features were fairly obvious. The Thuggee Phansigar cyborgs went a step farther and had modifications specifically made to look unnatural.

Of course, when it costs about two million C-bills per operative on parts alone, one wonders why not simply get a BattleMech?

-

Stallion12

• Sergeant
« Reply #116 on: 16 August 2016, 18:03:06 »
So those are more a cyborg thing? I was going. To allow it, but wanted to make sure it. Was balanced.

Stallion12

• Sergeant
« Reply #117 on: 17 August 2016, 05:09:47 »
Also, the property administration chart, could the property be both agriculture and industrial and give both bonuses?

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #118 on: 17 August 2016, 09:47:41 »
So those are more a cyborg thing? I was going. To allow it, but wanted to make sure it. Was balanced.

The moment you have cybernetic implants and enhanced prosthetics, you're basically making a cyborg. The thing is, when you get to that really suped-up stuff? Balance is out the window. I would not recommend it for beginning players. (The Manei Domini and the Thuggee Phansigars were essentially developed as GM-controlled monsters for when Clan warriors and/or alien critters just aren't scary enough.)

-

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #119 on: 17 August 2016, 09:53:01 »
Also, the property administration chart, could the property be both agriculture and industrial and give both bonuses?

It could certainly be both, though stacking the bonuses MIIIIIGHT make it too easy to turn a profit, at which point your players might find themselves wealthy enough, and quickly enough, to wonder why they NEED to go on adventures after all. Pile on the benefits at your own risk. ;)

-