Author Topic: Electronic warfare  (Read 5851 times)

Old Knight

• Sergeant
  • For honor and glory
Electronic warfare
« on: 08 November 2011, 13:42:32 »
Even if electronic warfare is not the most important part of this game, it's better not to turn your back at it. Jamming c3 network or a full artemis missile boat or even, finding hidden unit can make a difference between winning or losing a game.

Do you (fellow BT players), use EW equipped mech very often ? Do you include at least one them in every game ?
In case you need a good electronic warfare mech with at least BAP and ECM, which is your mech of choice ?

Let's talk EW !! 8)
It is the rule in war, if ten times the enemy's strength, surround them; if five times, attack them; if double, be able to divide them; if equal, engage them; if fewer, be able to evade them; if weaker, be able to avoid them.
All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Martius

• Captain
Re: Electronic warfare
« Reply #1 on: 08 November 2011, 13:51:13 »
I use EW a lot. Advanced active probe and ECM rules are alwys used in our games.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #2 on: 08 November 2011, 13:56:56 »
Same here. My campaign uses the great majority of the TO rules, so ECM are invaluable both for their normal functions and ghost targets. Likewise, probes are great because they're such powerful sensor systems (as opposed to radar, magscan, etc). And C3 is of course incredibly powerful when used properly.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Schottenjaeger

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 08 November 2011, 14:10:44 »
Anytime post-Clans I use at least one ECM mech if I can. BAP is nice, but I play blind so seldom that it doesn't really matter.
My preferred design is the custom Thud my merc unit's 3iC pilots, but my favorite is the Hellspawn.  Despite the torso bomb, it's a vicious infighter and an excellent complement to a fire-support lance. 3 pulses and enough jets to boogie even if you're overheating is quite nice.

Standing proudly on other pilot's cockpits since 1997

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 08 November 2011, 14:22:43 »
Assuming the use of the advanced EW rules from TacOps, it's a rare game where I don't include ECM, preferably on every unit, and I typically aim to have one Probe per lance/Star, more if I know it's a scenario involving hidden units. Whenever possible I switch the ECM to Ghost Target mode.

In purely TW games, I use fewer ECMs except when fighting C3-heavy forces such as the DCMS and CS/WOB.

I don't really have a 'Mech of choice, although I favor Omnis, especially in campaigns where custom configurations are allowed.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 08 November 2011, 14:27:09 »
There's big number of light 'Mechs equipped with Guardian ECM suite and Beagle Active Probe. Some of them are fast, some of them are slower, but they have additional equipment as TAG or NARC to act as spotters. They have one thing common for all of them - weak armor. 119 points of armor is the top limit for them. In the time of all kinds of Large pulse/X-Pulse/VSP/ER Pulse lasers I consider it barely bearable.

If you wish you can order them to disrupt enemy C3/C3i networks. Sooner or later they will have to go among enemies and sometimes it's relatively easy to cripple them.

Each faction fields 'Mechs you described, be it Nexus NXS-2B, Hitman, Ostscout OTT-9S or Raven. The weak armor always gives me pause.

'Mechs from Medium class are much better protected and usually they carry stronger weapons. For purposes like this I have two favourite designs.

The first one is the field refit HER-5Sr Hermes II. It has quite solid armor of all Hermes variants, average speed and replaces torso-mounted UAC-5 with Heavy PPC, making it flashbulb 'Mech. With that ECM and HPPC it can't be ignored by the enemy as older variants were.

My second favourite 'Mech is B2-HND Bloodhound. It has pleasant speed 7/11 and weapons suited for 'Mech which can backstab in suitable moment with ER Mediums (and ER Smalls if really close) and then fire Streak SRM-6 into that damaged rear armour.

Lysenko

• Lieutenant
  • 15th Dracon: A Proud Tradition of Service
    • Polar Bear Dreams & Stranger Things
« Reply #6 on: 08 November 2011, 14:32:34 »
Privyet!

Post-Invasion, it's the only way my Raven mechs matter. :)

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • Savage Doesn't Even Begin To Describe It
« Reply #7 on: 08 November 2011, 14:33:40 »
I always run atleast 1 to 2 mechs with an ECM suite.

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 08 November 2011, 14:59:41 »
Since I tend to run the WOB opposition in a number of our games here..... I, of course, use EW.
Running ECM mechs in ECCM mode to protect your C3i net is almost a must.

There is a T-bolt variant that carries ECM that is great, if you need a mech that is hard to take down, and adds to your current firepower.

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: 08 November 2011, 15:42:09 »
Love using ECM, great way to give missile boats the finger ;D
I also love to use Active Prob so my snipers can get away with killer shots in heavy brush.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

MOrab46019

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 08 November 2011, 15:57:17 »
Yep have used it. C3 and ECM to counter. Med mech is the type I put the ECM on also. Or Heavy mech.

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #11 on: 08 November 2011, 16:04:08 »
Whenever I run C3 units I like to have as much ECM as I can, so that I can keep the C3 net running. ECCM is a wonderful thing. For every other force I like to have at least 1 ECM per lance/star just in case I need it.
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

Old Knight

• Sergeant
  • For honor and glory
« Reply #12 on: 08 November 2011, 17:15:09 »
Love using ECM, great way to give missile boats the finger ;D
I also love to use Active Prob so my snipers can get away with killer shots in heavy brush.
How can ABP help your snipers ??? Is the active probe do something i don't know ???
It is the rule in war, if ten times the enemy's strength, surround them; if five times, attack them; if double, be able to divide them; if equal, engage them; if fewer, be able to evade them; if weaker, be able to avoid them.
All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 08 November 2011, 17:25:33 »
I don't tend to run much in the way of EW gear because I never know what I'm going to face, or what terrain will be used. Since players in my group frequntly "forget" toselect units until the maps are on the table and they've had a good look through my unit, I always have either wasted tonage or a a severe disadvantage.

How can ABP help your snipers ??? Is the active probe do something i don't know ???

There is a rule in Tac Ops that allows you to reduce the targeting penalty for woods by 1. That means that you can hide mech in terrain and get a better shot than your opponent expects.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 08 November 2011, 17:29:43 »
Depends on the game, sometimes we just want some good ol' "Kill them all and let Kerensky sort 'em out!" type of matches. But sometimes, it's fun to use all the optional rules. I try to include at least two ECM carriers if I can, even in just regular Tournament-level play.

It's a fun aspect of BT play.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 08 November 2011, 17:40:08 »

Not snipers, but when it comes to fighting in woods, your 'Mech doesn't suffer the full to-hit penalty. If the target is within the range of the Beagle Active Probe and the Line-of-sight exists, your 'Mech substracts -1 from to-hit number. It doesn't matter how many wooded hexes is between you and your enemy, you just substract -1.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #16 on: 08 November 2011, 17:44:30 »
Do you (fellow BT players), use EW equipped mech very often ? Do you include at least one them in every game ?

I try to get ECM or sensor suites on nearly every 'Mech in post-3050 games.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #17 on: 08 November 2011, 19:22:58 »
I don't tend to run much in the way of EW gear because I never know what I'm going to face, or what terrain will be used. Since players in my group frequntly "forget" toselect units until the maps are on the table and they've had a good look through my unit, I always have either wasted tonage or a a severe disadvantage.

Bah . . . I say give a general idea of the terrain available, but if people 'forget' to select their mechs, you can have some prepared random forces available for their convenience.  Just randomly roll up a unit from RATs for factional flavor.

To the OP-  I play MM, which means double blind.  I like large maps that have areas where LOS is short.  I LOVE to ambush folks in the city . . . I have seen some players do truely stupid things when the artillery starts coming in, heavy armor is to the front, jumping lights and meds start appearing on the flanks, and battle armor starts coming through the buildings on the sides.  A assault lance panic'd into a starburst was hilarious.

EW, with double blind and restricted LOS/terrain make light units which scout and recon more valuable . . . and since I like my mechs to be cavalry with armor anvils, I can pick the spots to engage.  The cavalry can retreat to the armor anvil, hitting a BA tripwire while artillery falls.  It spreads the enemy's debris field along their axis of movement.
« Last Edit: 08 November 2011, 19:26:36 by Colt Ward »
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Old Knight

• Sergeant
  • For honor and glory
« Reply #18 on: 08 November 2011, 21:48:11 »
Not snipers, but when it comes to fighting in woods, your 'Mech doesn't suffer the full to-hit penalty. If the target is within the range of the Beagle Active Probe and the Line-of-sight exists, your 'Mech substracts -1 from to-hit number. It doesn't matter how many wooded hexes is between you and your enemy, you just substract -1.
Yes i know this rule but it wont fit for a sniper mech since the target must be within the probe range (very short distance). It was only a matters of term use that mislead me (sniper mech).
Phew, i've think i miss something. :-)
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Old Knight

• Sergeant
  • For honor and glory
« Reply #19 on: 08 November 2011, 23:19:44 »
I'm searching for good (without any major flaw) EW battlemech with both ECM and ABP.
So far i have found the following:
Men Shen MS1-OC
Thunderbolt TDR-9Nr

Any other come to your mind ?
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #20 on: 08 November 2011, 23:39:28 »
Wooded area gives the Loki Prime a better life span.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #21 on: 09 November 2011, 00:26:46 »
if there's anyone that doesn't use electronic warfare on the boards i'm going to be simply amazed. there's just too many neat toys for any 'mechhead to resist.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 09 November 2011, 00:42:25 »
if there's anyone that doesn't use electronic warfare on the boards i'm going to be simply amazed. there's just too many neat toys for any 'mechhead to resist.

This is my personal impression, but there are people who dislike Jihad, some of them go back and dislike Fedcom Civil war, and some of them dislike Clans. I wouldn't be surprised (and in fact I heard about one or two groups), that some of them still play Succession Wars games for 95% of their time. ECM was extinct from 2845 to 3025 (Electronic Warfare Equipment of RVN-1 Raven) or perhaps until 3045 (Guardian ECM suite of RVN-3L Raven).

So with possible extempt of rare Star League Phoenix Hawk they play effectively without EW equipment.

Register