Author Topic: I've been at the Map Editor again ...  (Read 2487 times)

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
I've been at the Map Editor again ...
« on: 03 October 2019, 11:00:46 »
I've been at the Map Editor again, and here's the result. Inspired by a photo I saw of an open-cast/open-pit mine, I thought "Hmmm, that's the kind of industrial location that units might stumble across while moving across a planet." As is common with many of my maps, the surrounding terrain is more European in style, but that's easily changed by over-riding it from 'grass' to the default.

32x34 OpenCastMine

And then I thought ... "Ooh, what about if it had been abandoned for a while?" ... so I made a variant, with the lowest level flooded, some of the buildings collapsed, a general increase in tree growth, and more rubble due to the collapse of the pit sides.

32x34 OpenCastMineAbandoned

Hope that people like them!

(There is a vague chance that I might decide to raise the water level another layer or two, resulting in a the very deep lakes that tend to result from flooded mine pits and quarries - if I do, then I'll put it up as a reply to this thread.)
« Last Edit: 03 October 2019, 11:14:25 by Simon Landmine »
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
  • Just here for a little mayhem.
Re: I've been at the Map Editor again ...
« Reply #1 on: 03 October 2019, 12:57:27 »
Again, fantastic work!

Now, if one would want to print them out for a classic game of armored combat on my tabletop, what would I need to do to get the hexes the right size?
liber et infractus

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #2 on: 03 October 2019, 13:35:00 »
Cheers!

Now, if one would want to print them out for a classic game of armored combat on my tabletop, what would I need to do to get the hexes the right size?

Ooh, that's an idea. I'll have to think. I did the 'save as Image' at quite low resolution, so as to save filespace, but I'll have to work out whether it's rectifiable, or whether, if I do a re-save at a different view, it would work. I might try to work something out after this evening's RPG session.

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #3 on: 03 October 2019, 18:44:38 »

Actually, if you open up the MegaMek map editor yourself, and load the map, you'd be able to zoom in or out as desired, and then select "Save as Image" - that's probably the simplest way to get the level of detail you want. And then you could slice and print the image at the desired scale.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 03 October 2019, 19:56:17 »
Great idea, and excellent execution!  :thumbsup:

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
  • Just here for a little mayhem.
« Reply #5 on: 04 October 2019, 03:39:29 »
Thanks for your replies! I'm still struggling to learn how to use map editor properly.
liber et infractus

mighty midget

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 11 October 2019, 17:19:45 »
Looks great, thanks for sharing.
Slavish adherance to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about.

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #7 on: 11 October 2019, 18:45:32 »
Thanks! Glad you like it. I come up with new ones every so often, when an idea crosses my mind - but I do tend towards the 32x34 'four-board' maps these days, as they give more room to put together an idea with enough surrounding terrain to make it workable.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 11 October 2019, 18:53:16 »
The more people opting to fight in something larger than a phone booth, the better...  ^-^

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #9 on: 20 October 2019, 04:30:50 »
I failed to resist the temptation to leave the tap on ...

32x34 OpenCastMineFlooded

One big soggy fight location. Or a race-track for hovercraft. Could get truly interesting with the 'frozen lake' rules, admittedly.
« Last Edit: 20 October 2019, 13:11:01 by Simon Landmine »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #10 on: 20 October 2019, 05:27:23 »
Heh... I could definitely see a hovercraft just going back and forth at max speed...  ;D

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #11 on: 20 October 2019, 13:01:53 »
Thanks, these are great!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #12 on: 20 October 2019, 22:32:16 »
I love the fully flooded map. 
It is a shame that you can't have road hexes underwater, at least in MegaMek. 

Yes I know that flooded road hexes are pretty useless, hmmm, unless you had an amphibious sealed vehicle...  and a MacGuffin hidden away in the mine before it flooded,  and people fighting over it,  ooh and scuba infantry...

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #13 on: 21 October 2019, 04:55:57 »
I love the fully flooded map.

Cheers!

It is a shame that you can't have road hexes underwater, at least in MegaMek. 
Yes I know that flooded road hexes are pretty useless, hmmm, unless you had an amphibious sealed vehicle...  and a MacGuffin hidden away in the mine before it flooded,  and people fighting over it,  ooh and scuba infantry...

Now we're cookin'!

I head-justified it by thinking that the roadway would probably have ended up covered by silt and rockfall, as some parts of it were in the semi-flooded map. That said, pavement under water might be possible. (Then again, I'd probably have made the roadway around the pit a gravel road, if they were supported yet in MM ...)

Register