Author Topic: Devil's Dozen Mercenary Company  (Read 4188 times)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
Re: Devil's Dozen Mercenary Company
« Reply #30 on: 08 September 2023, 04:05:34 »
Am I slippin' into the Twilight Zone...

I liked the idea of Astrokaszy in 3025 too much.  So I ordered some more minis and ended up replacing the Archers in the Devil's Dozen.  They'll go to a 3050 merc unit up in Rasalhague or Lyran space.

My biggest annoyance with the Dozen in 3025 was the lack of mobility in the 3/5 War Phoenix, but I decided to embrace that 'Mech's design and build two of them for the unit.  The idea is that the unit is founded out of a noble house on the decline in the Magistracy of Canopus, and the War Phoenixes are house 'Mechs rebuilt over the years and kept together.  Fortune has not smiled upon this house, and in its desperation the MIM snatched at an opportunity.

The Marian invasion of Astrokaszy signaled a distant threat to the Magistracy moving much closer, and it was decided that a MAF force would be too politically untenable at such a distance.  However, if this particular noble family would sign on as mercenaries with covert support from the MAF, then their problems would be swept aside by the MIM and they'd be given a chance to start over on Astrokaszy.  Having the world under control of a separate organization beholden to the Magestrix directly was seen to be an optimum solution, and a combat force was quickly gathered up and deployed to the planet.

The plan for the Dozen to move in and take over the world fell awry when the FWLM left peacekeeping forces behind, forcing the mercenaries to work around the League forces.  It was up to the Dozen to try to organize their own control of the various city-states on the planet by intervening in various disputes - often times relying on their BattleMechs as much as diplomacy and negotiations.  Often these negotiations fell through, and the company of 'Mechs that made up their combat force was put to the test against the scattered militias of Astrokaszy.

So I have two War Phoenixes, with the backstory that they were part of a project to create a "pocket assault 'Mech" by this particular family.  The idea was to convert MAF Warhammers into War Phoenixes, but only two 'Mechs were converted in this program.  Testing showed the firepower gains were offset by the slower speed, and the program was canceled after the two Warhammers in the family's arsenal were converted.  That set the family fortunes back, and investments in the future of the War Phoenix program fell through with the program's cancellation, leaving them open to manipulation by the MIM.

It gives me the custom 'Mechs, sets up the origin of the unit, puts them on Astrokaszy with a mission, and gives me a reason why they never unified the world under one banner - I figure they'd get far enough to control one hemisphere, leaving the League to control the other half of the planet.  Why two War Phoenixes?  I figure on a sister and brother taking the family 'Mechs, perhaps the only surviving members of the noble family - everyone else is retainers and family security forces.

As far as BattleMechs go, the Dozen is still a heavy force.  The command lance is two War Phoenixes, a Crusader, and a Rifleman, while the two fire lances are three Warhammers and a Rifleman.  This gives useful firepower against all kinds of opponents, though the armor protection on the Warhammers could stand some improvement.  It's enough to take on whatever forces the various city-states of Astrokaszy can throw at the Dozen, while at the same time allowing the 'Mechs to strike at various testing sites from the AFFS and DCMS.  That's going to require a DropShip for rapid relocation, and I'm thinking modified Union with the fighter bays removed for more cargo and supplies.  Add three platoons of foot infantry to account for the family's security forces; they'd be primarily defenders of whatever town the Dozen operate out of.

The Dozen is going to need a base on Astrokaszy quick, some way for the MIM to keep them resupplied, so their operation is going to kick into gear right on landing.  The Marians aren't there, but the FWLM is, and they're the Big Man On Campus when it comes to controlling the planet.  Canonically the FWLM's attempts at world peace ultimately failed, and the fighting started soon after they left the planet in 3038.  I'll say that the Dozen is operating on the southern hemisphere and the FWLM on the northern hemisphere, with the equatorial temperatures of 60+ degrees Celsius making for a open desert barrier neither side is walking across.

I suppose that's going to put me in conflict with the FWLM forces as well, once they get wise to what's going on...but hopefully they'll be too scattered around to gather forces and really pound the mercenaries flat.  Meanwhile the mercs are turning the southern part of the planet into their own fief, and sending things like prototype Freezer heat sinks and Grand Dragon BattleMechs back to the MIM.

This does mean I'm going to rethink Artilleriegruppe Kataja's origins, since I'm doing the covert operation background for both units.  Daryk's a font of good ideas, though, and the feedback I get on this site helps me work stuff out.  So, any thoughts or suggestions or questions I should answer?

EDIT: As far as Astrokaszy itself goes, I come up with a total population in 3025 of 459,000.  That's based on 1% growth to 3067 and its target of 698,000 that year, and fits with the wide 200-500,000 population estimate on Sarna.  Considering the place is a warzone of internecine conflict, I'm going to take a North Korean 5% of the total population being under arms, and another 15% acting as paramilitary or reserve forces.  That gives me 22,950 active duty soldiers and 68,850 paramilitary personnel.  Assuming the same 10:1 tooth to tail, and putting the paramilitary forces to work, that gives me 9,180 combat troops on Astrokaszy...that's a lot of tank crews, but infantry units will eat up that particular number quickly. 

Tank crews, say they're a mix of Vedettes and Scorpions - it's a backwater Periphery world, it's full of mook machines.  One regiment of Vedettes and two regiments of Scorpions is 324 tanks and comes to 864 personnel.  That gives me just over 8300 troops, which I'll round off to eight BattleTech reinforced regiments of infantry to take on.  Each regiment is 36 platoons in total, so each regiment gets 27 platoons of regular infantry - say nine platoons of mounted infantry and eighteen of foot - plus three platoons of field artillery and six platoons of field gun infantry.

All that's scattered over the planet in small detachments, I'm glad for the twin MGs on all those Warhammers now.  I'm gonna be going through a lot of ammo for them...
« Last Edit: 08 September 2023, 05:33:46 by ANS Kamas P81 »
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #31 on: 08 September 2023, 16:57:29 »
One thing I've built into my version of Astrokaszy is a suspiciously high number of fusion powered jeeps (with SLDF inventory numbers...). ;)

My Al Mazrea also has a Victor... which just MIGHT have a Long Tom Artillery Cannon any time after they're invented... >:)

My Rabigh got a Banshee with a Blazer Cannon and AC/2 swapped out for the PPC and AC/5.  It's slightly less damage but with a bit more range to annoy opponents enough to get within 15 hexes of head-chopping goodness... :D

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 09 September 2023, 13:57:48 »
I will be honest and say how many of us have set up Merc units that front for Intel Services??  But can this unit work without the MIM, a noble house look improve their standing in the MoC, by assembling a merc unit to undertake a mission that if it goes good, they get raise their standing, if it goes sideways well besides the assets lost can it really get much worse for them.

Resupply by "independant" Free Traders who land on Astrokaszy to do business.   Given that there are ships from "DC" and "FS" landing here with testing gear, ones from the MoC, and even CC and TC would not be unexpected if they can make a living.

We used to have Merc Supply Union Dropship that worked the Rim area selling basic supplies and hardware as well as doing contract repair work.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 10 September 2023, 03:29:51 »
I think this unit could work even if it's not a front operation - the noble house that developed the War Phoenix could simply seek fortune by turning its family 'Mech forces into a mercenary unit and hiring out direct to the Magistracy in the early 3020s.  Call it a way to show off their pocket assault mech design and see if it gets any interest in the BattleMech markets, as well as carry out the will of the MoC.

The assignment to Astrokaszy can simply be a standard merc mission, though why they would stay is a question.  I can see the Magistracy hiring them long term to garrison the planet alongside the FWLM, putting forces in place to respond to another Marian invasion without claiming the world on their own.  In the 3060s some former Smoke Jaguar personnel along with 'dezgra' forces from other Clans went to the planet in search of a connection to the original Star League, even though the planet didn't get officially populated until the 2890s.  Clearly the ex-Clanners were looking for something, maybe there's rumors of a secret Star League facility that predates the colonization of the planet.  It'd give the Dozen something to do in between armed intervention between sides in the ongoing fighting, and carving out their own fiefdom on-world.

So striking the secret MIM operation aspect still leaves the rest in place - they're a noble house guards force that was turned into a mercenary unit as a way of showing off their custom BattleMechs and offering the refit kit for sale on the open market.  They don't get any sales for the 'Mechs, so the two War Phoenixes are unique, but the mercenary force is a financial success from the MoC contracts.  Operating openly means they also can get resupply openly as well, so that solves that problem.

Now I need names for everyone in the unit, I suppose...the two War Phoenixes would be piloted by the scions of the family, while the other ten 'Mechs are made up by the family's own security forces.  Their contract would start in 3022, to pick a year, and perhaps the Devil's Dozen spent its first three years hunting pirates in MoC space and building a positive reputation that way.  A company of heavy BattleMechs is definitely one way to put an end to a pirate force, I'd say.

So the family's fortunes are not in decline, and they're not being used as a cat's paw by the MIM to spy on the place, but are more open in their activities.  They can work alongside the FWLM forces on planet, providing a heavy BattleMech contingent alongside the lighter 'Mechs of the Militia.  And according to Sarna, "Rumors arose of some Jaguars establishing themselves on Astrokaszy, perhaps due to that world's status as a former SLDF supply base, and fighting between them and dezgra units from other Clans over the caches."  That's from Shattered Sphere p. 123...it's a history that's not given on the Astrokaszy page but I'm willing to entertain the idea that the Devil's Dozen are doing a little fortune hunting of their own.

Maybe the reason the ex-Jags and other Clanners never found anything was because the Dozen found it first?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #34 on: 10 September 2023, 06:15:44 »
Heh... my assumption is that there are MANY SLDF facilities on planet, but they date back to the Reunification War. ;)

And I must say, doing weapons testing on Astrokaszy won't raise any eyebrows from everyone else doing the same thing! ;D

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 10 September 2023, 12:48:34 »
I figure there had to be some good reason for the Jags (and apparently other Clans as well) to go there and try to dig something up.  Maybe like you said it's stuff from the Reunification War, a leftover logistics base for the assault into the Magistracy of Canopus.  There wouldn't be any major weapons discoveries in the way of SL level technology, but maybe there's still advanced knowledge to be discovered and retrieved under the nose of the FWLM and secreted back to Canopus.  Hey, the Magistracy's great medical knowledge and renown intelligence operations skills had to come from somewhere, right?  Plenty of knowledge left to uncover.

As far as other nations testing goes, well, the big thing to capture and return with are Davion's Freezer technology, and maybe Binary Laser Cannons. 

Hm...I still like the idea that the Dozen are trying to carve out a new landhold on Astrokaszy, if not the entire planet.  I'm going to roll with that, and have them give up their holdings in the Magistracy - say there was a power play that they lost out on, and the only real option they had was to raise a mercenary force out of the family guard forces and go that route.  Campaign Operations provides some pretty lucrative contract construction, so it's easy to make money as a merc - though you're dealing with a high risk as well, especially in the days before CASE.

With my luck everyone dies to ammo explosions in their first skirmish...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #36 on: 10 September 2023, 12:51:42 »
I worked some "missing" Canopian Central Bank gold into my stories... ;)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 10 September 2023, 13:27:33 »
Hm, a BattleMech bank heist...pick up and carry the vault away!  Maybe there's a good reason the War Phoenix has hands, as does the Crusader...even if the War Pixie's got some real question marks when it comes to carrying anything...

I'm liking the idea of the family throwing everything into the merc lifestyle and departing MoC space with the need to find a new home on Astrokaszy.  Political drama is always good for a lark, and hm...what could cause such a thing?  The family (I need to come up with names already) was already putting its fortunes on the line in 3022 when they organized the Devil's Dozen as a mercenary force, and they did three years of good pirate hunting for the Magistracy.  Maybe during that pirate hunting they discovered a rival family was sponsoring the pirates, but when they came forward with what evidence they had they were politically outmaneuvered and accused of faking it.  That cost them a lot, and might be why the Dozen was sent to Astrokaszy; the mercenary contract with Canopus was still in effect so they were sent a ways away from home as political punishment while retaining their services militarily.  Makes them useful to Canopus while still letting the government wash their hands of them...

I suppose they'll need to sign on with the FWL after the Canopian contract expires, to remain on Astrokaszy along with the FWLM unit that stayed behind.  It also puts me back in the political power play among the various city-states, and means I'm bringing the entire family and its staff out to the world to resettle.  Looks like the family's going to have to learn the horse raising trade if they want respect from the nomads.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #38 on: 10 September 2023, 13:42:37 »
My plot was gold swiped by some "enterprising" SLDF soldiers during the Reunification War and secreted away on Astrokaszy... ;)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 10 September 2023, 14:04:37 »
Did the PCs/story characters ever find it?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #40 on: 10 September 2023, 14:30:16 »
Yes indeed!  If you like, I can give you the link to that point in the game... :)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 10 September 2023, 14:30:55 »
Link away, sir!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #42 on: 10 September 2023, 14:45:39 »
Here's the first hint of the gold: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,426.msg1456945.html#msg1456945

For context: The Double Deuce is the former garrison of Campoleone just prior to the handover to the WoB.  The WoB had an elaborate plan to frame the unit for a war crime, but one of the PCs decided to destroy the HPG's SATCOM antenna on the way out (an ACTUAL war crime).  That all happened back on the previous iteration of the forums.  By this point in the story, the unit discovered their tobacco rations were infested with Proserpina Crop Devils and decided to make an unscheduled stop on Astrokaszy.  One of the PCs was the Explorer Corps scout inbound to pick up where his mysteriously disappeared predecessor left off (that's Adept Monchenigo... the original plan was for the Egret-variant Mark VII shuttle to drop him off while the Manatee carrying the unit stayed with the recharging Scout).  Another PC was the Double Deuce's S-2 (Adept McCann).

I periodically re-read this part of the game because I find it so interesting... ;)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 10 September 2023, 16:08:17 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYI09PMNazw

Clearly the most appropriate music possible for that story!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #44 on: 10 September 2023, 16:26:28 »
I do believe Cameron McCann bears a passing resemblance to Clint Eastwood, at least when he has a beard... ;)

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #45 on: 11 September 2023, 00:05:08 »
Well for the noble house how about the last name - Đavola

If I may a merc looking for employment
Andrew "Orge" Hirson
Andrew is 1 of the most social misfit you will ever met.  He has a face only his mom could love, if he could find her was left at an church when he was young, and his social skills are none existance.  But put him into a combat situation and there is no one you rather have covering your six.
Carries 14mm Hand Cannon that he has used to shoot at small mechs with and carries a Kukri that he says if pulls someone will bleed.
Here is the "Most safe photo of Orge at a Officers Club", just before he was asked to leave.  8 MPs later he finally left, but well the MPs were not happy and most endup in the medbay, and Andrew in the Brig.

Current owner of a TDR-5SE known as Thunder the Barbarian
He has been a lance leader more then once, only to loose the command when combat ends and his social skills come to into play.
He is looking contract that plays to his skills, but also offers a good place to party when possible

He is what happens when someone playing MW2 min/maxed the PC ;D
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #46 on: 11 September 2023, 00:21:04 »
That sounds VERY much like MW2e! ;D

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 11 September 2023, 00:22:30 »
I might just steal that as one of the MechWarriors of the unit...tempting, tempting...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #48 on: 11 September 2023, 00:27:00 »
Well, he'd fit in on Astrokaszy at least... ;)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #49 on: 11 September 2023, 00:59:14 »

This guy's a fearless Rasalhague Dominionite who saw changes to his native lands and the power of the Clans first handed. As a young, impressionable youth, his life on the streets gave him edge, he decided to join up. Seeing his chances as a proud Free Rasalhague Republic KungsArmé MechWarrior in his younger days, he sought redemption. Passing his Trials, he was assigned to the Third Kavalleri as part of their new Polar Galaxy.

Edged out and in a Provisional Garrison Cluster where the next step was down in some solahma unit, he decided to branch out to where his skills could be seen and felt. Old, but not obsolete, this MechWarrior turned mercenary.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 11 September 2023, 01:20:58 »
That's trippy, he looks like what my uncle would look like now.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #51 on: 11 September 2023, 02:00:53 »
What?

A manly man's man?  :wink:

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #52 on: 12 September 2023, 13:10:15 »

I might just steal that as one of the MechWarriors of the unit...tempting, tempting...
Please do, that why I shared him.
I will see if I can find his MW2 sheet

So what did you think of noble family name idea?
« Last Edit: 12 September 2023, 15:32:28 by DOC_Agren »

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 14 September 2023, 11:54:49 »
A noble turned merc?

Sir Robin of Luxley comes to mind, as do Baron Grayson Carlyle...

Seems reasonable.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse