Author Topic: Terra. Home to ilClan Wolf.  (Read 53409 times)

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
Re: Terra. Home to ilClan Wolf.
« Reply #510 on: 23 December 2023, 15:39:05 »
And what would Katherine need with a Bloodname anyway? Her influence amongst the Wolves was incredibly strong as-is, strong enough to pull off the Alaric project, strong enough that she had Khans and Loremasters as allies, strong enough that she continued to enjoy a relatively decent life well past 100 years. What would a Bloodname get her than she didn't already have, other than an early grave (because even IF she managed to survive AND succeed in the Trial of Bloodright, surely she'd become an even bigger target)?
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #511 on: 23 December 2023, 15:57:03 »
Without quoting anyone, I'm just going to bet a shiny nickel that a Bloodname Trial could only be the absolute death of Katrina S-D.  Even Vlad couldn't have rigged all that shit.
And what would Katherine need with a Bloodname anyway? Her influence amongst the Wolves was incredibly strong as-is, strong enough to pull off the Alaric project, strong enough that she had Khans and Loremasters as allies, strong enough that she continued to enjoy a relatively decent life well past 100 years. What would a Bloodname get her than she didn't already have, other than an early grave (because even IF she managed to survive AND succeed in the Trial of Bloodright, surely she'd become an even bigger target)?

Agreed on all points.  Needless risk to her life, and too much attention drawn to her.  Her power and influence stemmed from other means.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #512 on: 25 December 2023, 09:12:31 »
Kat's blood name carries political power.  She grew up and was taught by knee of her father Hanse Davion and her mother Melissa Steiner-Davion.  She may not have the best personality, but she did learn, especially when it comes to the power of a name. That's why she took on the name Katrina versus retaining her Katherine name.

She was doing some serious stuff behind the scenes that a trueborn Bloodnamed warriors of Clan Wolf we're likely not to be expecting. She must have been a wolf among lambs in comparison to their method of politics.

If she had a means she had a way to establish her bloodname even if it's just one off.

The ilKhan can establish new Bloodnames and fluff I've read in more recent novels and other sources suggest Clans can establish new ones if they wish. However I'm a bit foggy with the final wording of how it's done is.
« Last Edit: 25 December 2023, 09:14:43 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #513 on: 24 March 2024, 19:56:21 »
Question about Anastasia Kerensky. I kind of tuned out on HOTW when it got to the IlClan trial, I know Anastasia showed up at the end to defeat Malvina, and that during the vote for a SaKhan Anastasia was a favorite but bowed out, was she given much characterization or motivation in HOTW or IlClan (I kinda think I already know the answer).

Anastasia in the Dark Age was characterized by two things, A) her impatience which repeatedly bit her and the Steel Wolves in the *ss, and B) her desire to conquer Terra and become the IlClan. As revealed in Shrapnel #2, her Wolf Hunters gamut was A long-term Xanatos gamut to build a new army capable to invading Terra, so while she's happy to be part of Clan Wolf and taking over Terra, I'm sure a part of her is angry SHE'S not the one in the lead. I feel there could be a good IlClan storyline for her becoming Alaric's 'loyal opposition', hoping to supplant him if the opportunity ever arises.

Perhaps she could even gather up those Wolf Hunter/merc commands to build her own loyalist corp. It would be neat to see her go after the Steel Wolves and Wolfkin Keshik, the awkward reunion trying to get them back under her command with the promise of being part of the IlClan.
Clan Protectorate

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #514 on: 24 March 2024, 21:09:35 »
Anastasia is the Commanding General of the new SLDF (and IMO, she's the perfect choice for the role, given her long history of fighting against and alongside many different forces, giving her a unique perspective). I think it's safe to say that her priorities have shifted.
« Last Edit: 24 March 2024, 21:12:54 by tassa_kay »
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #515 on: 24 March 2024, 21:32:09 »
As revealed in Shrapnel #2, her Wolf Hunters gamut was A long-term Xanatos gamut to build a new army capable to invading Terra, so while she's happy to be part of Clan Wolf and taking over Terra, I'm sure a part of her is angry SHE'S not the one in the lead. I feel there could be a good IlClan storyline for her becoming Alaric's 'loyal opposition', hoping to supplant him if the opportunity ever arises.

Perhaps she could even gather up those Wolf Hunter/merc commands to build her own loyalist corp. It would be neat to see her go after the Steel Wolves and Wolfkin Keshik, the awkward reunion trying to get them back under her command with the promise of being part of the IlClan.

The story implies they were gathered to go to Terra- question is as part of the Wolf Clan or as some of the forces with the Dragons & Exiles?

It does make what happened to the Steel Wolf cluster in FWL employ interesting since they were killed out of hand when they ran into the Wolf Clan- at least two stars.

IMO Anastasia's gambit is more reminiscent of her, IMO, paternal grandfather who did something very similar about 100 years before . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #516 on: 24 March 2024, 23:44:59 »
The story implies they were gathered to go to Terra- question is as part of the Wolf Clan or as some of the forces with the Dragons & Exiles?

It does make what happened to the Steel Wolf cluster in FWL employ interesting since they were killed out of hand when they ran into the Wolf Clan- at least two stars.

IMO Anastasia's gambit is more reminiscent of her, IMO, paternal grandfather who did something very similar about 100 years before . . .

whom was her paternal grandfather?
The Suns will shine again

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #517 on: 25 March 2024, 00:31:32 »
whom was her paternal grandfather?

It's never been stated, but it was implied once or twice that it was someone just as important as Natasha. One of the more popular theories is Phelan.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #518 on: 25 March 2024, 01:26:28 »
It's never been stated, but it was implied once or twice that it was someone just as important as Natasha. One of the more popular theories is Phelan.

They drop enough heavy handed hints that she borrows from Kell actions, such as the breaking up of the Steel Wolves to create 'farm' teams, and with the nod to knowing/researching her ancestors it is the simplest explanation for her paternal line.  Combined with her desire to outperform those same 'ancestors' as well as 'rebelling' against them by espousing Crusader attitudes . . .

IMO Phelan is the simplest explanation, especially since we know the Kerensky Bloodhouse has created sibkos with Kell as the genefather.  I tried last night to recover Shrapnel #1-4 to check Lana's story b/c IIRC she is not the first sibko crossing Kell & Kerensky genes.

BUT . . . yeah, IMO it is still a headscratcher why they decided no Kells in 3077 . . . Ranna had won Natasha's name.  As of 3058 when a sibko could have been started, Morgan was still around & kicking.  And other Jaguar bloodnames re-established after Op Bulldog would have happened . . . and so would the establishment of Brahe & a sibko produced from it.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #519 on: 25 March 2024, 01:40:37 »
I think her actions in the later Dark Age era with Alaric shifted her priorities. I’m not sure how far she had the Steel Wolf farming teams planned in advance and whether or not she planed them for a larger Steel Wolf faction or Clan Wolf faction. I believe at some point she shifted allegiance fully to the new Wolves, partially to destroy Malvina Hazen and partially because of Alaric and his record/planning/goals.

I was just talking about the remaining Steel Wolf Cluster with people at Adepticon and how weird it is that the Wolves did not allow them back. I personally think that’s a mistake and that the new Wolves could have used them. A rebuilt Steel Wolf Galaxy (along with a Wolf in Exile Galaxy) could go a long way in helping the new SLDF at Terra. Not to say anything about if they had allowed the Wolfs Dragoons lol. IMO (despite the awesome plot twist and thirty pieces of silver moment) I believe these two event were one of Alarics miscalculations and he could have really used them.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #520 on: 25 March 2024, 02:00:54 »
They drop enough heavy handed hints that she borrows from Kell actions, such as the breaking up of the Steel Wolves to create 'farm' teams

If this "farm teams" thing was stated somewhere, it's absolutely a retcon (and wouldn't be the first retcon we've seen in Shrapnel). The Wolf Hunters novel made it pretty clear that these were legitimate and deeply traumatic schisms because they did not accept the direction that Anastasia wanted to take them. This was all shown in the novel through both external and internal dialogue many, many times.

I was just talking about the remaining Steel Wolf Cluster with people at Adepticon and how weird it is that the Wolves did not allow them back.

Why is that weird? It was established pretty much from the get-go that the actual Clans didn't view these Republic paramilitary groups as actual Clanners, but cosplayers. Hell, it started with Anastasia herself, where it was noted that she was the only legitimate Wolf in the Steel Wolves' ranks. (To be clear, I'm just stating how they were perceived, not arguing if it's actually true or not.) Was it a mistake? Sure, it could be perceived that way. It's also 100% in-character. Alaric didn't even let the Dragoons back in, and they actually earned it.
« Last Edit: 25 March 2024, 08:21:20 by tassa_kay »

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #521 on: 25 March 2024, 10:33:26 »

Why is that weird? It was established pretty much from the get-go that the actual Clans didn't view these Republic paramilitary groups as actual Clanners, but cosplayers. Hell, it started with Anastasia herself, where it was noted that she was the only legitimate Wolf in the Steel Wolves' ranks. (To be clear, I'm just stating how they were perceived, not arguing if it's actually true or not.) Was it a mistake? Sure, it could be perceived that way. It's also 100% in-character. Alaric didn't even let the Dragoons back in, and they actually earned it.

Which could always be solved through Trials of Position. We know some Steel Wolves DID rejoin Clan Wolf proper though, such as Kyle Wolf and Gwin Fetladral.

But Alaric is desperate for troops, and I think the Steel Wolves would jump at the chance to rejoin Clan Wolf. If Anastasia could snag them and the Wolfkin Keshik, that's almost two clusters more of troops.

Alternatively, the Wolf Empire could hire/"trial" for them, I'm sure most Steel Wolves would jump for that.
Clan Protectorate

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #522 on: 25 March 2024, 10:55:21 »
Then comes the plot twist: the Steel Wolfes fight for the Wolf Empire only to get steam rolled by the Dragoons who absorb the survivors and fill them with their rage against the "traitorous Clan Wolf"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #523 on: 25 March 2024, 14:54:52 »
I don't have my books in front of me, but wasn't grabbing her other wayward associated units when Anastasia was independent  part of her tasks she was doing.  Not unlike what Morgan Kell did with the Hounds in 3020s
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #524 on: 25 March 2024, 17:21:26 »
I don't have my books in front of me, but wasn't grabbing her other wayward associated units when Anastasia was independent  part of her tasks she was doing.  Not unlike what Morgan Kell did with the Hounds in 3020s

Although mentioned I don’t know if the Defection should be seen as the same light as Anastasia disbanding the Steel Wolves.  I also don’t have the books but I felt she burned her bridges with some of the unit.  Shrapnel has mentioned that the Wolf Empire does have an open door with talented warriors but some are walking away. 

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #525 on: 25 March 2024, 17:55:41 »
If this "farm teams" thing was stated somewhere, it's absolutely a retcon (and wouldn't be the first retcon we've seen in Shrapnel). The Wolf Hunters novel made it pretty clear that these were legitimate and deeply traumatic schisms because they did not accept the direction that Anastasia wanted to take them. This was all shown in the novel through both external and internal dialogue many, many times.

Thing is, that POV is established by one character who was cast off as a singleton.  Yulri did not seem as upset as Serena (?) though the POV for that portion of the story was Jazz.

While what happened with Jacob's Juggernauts was a group who took off and approached a merc unit.  Problem with the Juggernauts is they took in a separate culture without totally making sure they assimilated and seem to have been pulled towards the Clan culture as much as they may have shifted the Clanners.

NOW, this is not to say it was not a retcon.  We never got the inside POV look as to why Anastasia did it.  I DO agree it was a retcon to adjust for the "new" direction of IlClan since you had the whole Varnoff Fetladral trying to kill Anastasia thing happen.

Btw, Kyle Wolf?  I would suggest that he fell in action in the same battle as Anastasia, but survived to be a bondsman unlike the Mad Dog pilot Alaric carbonized.  The ASF Star Colonel who took over the remains of the Steel Wolves after outing the mechwarrior's duplicity had several stars of Clan warriors killed when she tried re-approachment.
Colt Ward

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #526 on: 25 March 2024, 19:40:14 »
But Alaric is desperate for troops, and I think the Steel Wolves would jump at the chance to rejoin Clan Wolf. If Anastasia could snag them and the Wolfkin Keshik, that's almost two clusters more of troops.

Alternatively, the Wolf Empire could hire/"trial" for them, I'm sure most Steel Wolves would jump for that.

They tried, per the Steel Wolves article in Shrapnel, and the Wolves not only saw them as "dezgra bandits", but killed several Stars of Steel Wolf warriors outright. They seem to be more than content with their current arrangement in the FWL, even defeating the Spirit Cats on Stewart when the Purifier Cluster came to claim the world for the ilClan.

While what happened with Jacob's Juggernauts was a group who took off and approached a merc unit.  Problem with the Juggernauts is they took in a separate culture without totally making sure they assimilated and seem to have been pulled towards the Clan culture as much as they may have shifted the Clanners.

Nope. There is nothing written anywhere that even remotely suggests that this was the case. Apparently Shrapnel confirms this was actually the case. 
« Last Edit: 25 March 2024, 22:18:37 by tassa_kay »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #527 on: 25 March 2024, 21:07:47 »
It is a Shrapnel story, in fact it is in #1 called Wars & Rumors.  Yulri's flame Jazz and the business manager Simien Fox, both of the Canid Cooperative, approach Jerry Jamison (sorry I always confuse them with Jacob's) and his Elemental special friend Fiona Cooper make a deal with the two as Anastasia's emissaries set in 21 June 3149.  I THINK it happens on Galatea, but I cannot access #1-#4 right now.  They "activate Operation Appleseed" which is just another in BT's bad operation names- IE you are not supposed to guess what it leads to from the name!

In the book Wolf Hunters, Tal Sender leads a mixed nova binary to Jamison's Juggernauts- star of mechs, star? of BA, star of light vehicles, and infantry star?- where they seek to join the ranks of the mercs.  It is odd as they left Anastasia 'upset' over her actions with the Steel Wolves in forming the Wolf Hunters that they go to another merc- though the Clan mindset could see it as Anastasia was dishonest, at least these mercs hold no pretensions.  The Clan officers suggest cross training & integration even more than than Jamison intended as the troops swap out to let the mercs experience Clan equipment from inside.

Conclusion-

So yeah, Anastasia seeded her Steel Wolves- that were deemed worthy- among other merc commands in order to foster bonds which would raise a crop of warriors she could call as a personal army.

Btw
Anastasia was taken bondsmen in Bonfire of Worlds.
Colt Ward

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #528 on: 25 March 2024, 22:09:52 »
So yeah, Anastasia seeded her Steel Wolves- that were deemed worthy- among other merc commands in order to foster bonds which would raise a crop of warriors she could call as a personal army.

Fair enough. I hadn't read this particular Shrapnel story before, but it sure does appear to be the case after reading it just now. It's even written by the same author, which I normally would consider a plus because of consistency (something BattleTech has sorely lacked in many areas over the decades), but in this case...

The whole thing reads like a massive retcon, because none of this was even implied in Wolf Hunters, and one that never actually went anywhere because it bore no real fruit after this story. Which is a shame, because this could've made HotW/ilClan better than... well, the dreck we got. All of this could've made for a fantastic novel instead of a Shrapnel short.

I wonder if this did end up being affected by the clear shift in direction during the lead-up to ilClan. In fact, given the fact that we've had more than one shift in direction since Wolf Hunters was printed, it's probably little wonder that this one slipped uner my radar. Things have been all over the damn place over the last two decades of BattleTech continuity.

Thanks for pointing me to this one, Colt. I loved Wolf Hunters, and you know I adore Anastasia, so this was a fun little story to read.

Btw
Anastasia was taken bondsmen in Bonfire of Worlds.

I always mix up the two because Masters of War was right about the time I checked out (I really hated the way Stackpole wrote the Wolf Hunters). LORD, that book was bad.
« Last Edit: 25 March 2024, 22:14:02 by tassa_kay »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #529 on: 25 March 2024, 22:27:05 »
Yeah, I agree that it was PROBABLY not the intent but you have that curious case of Star Captain (should have been a Nova?) Tal Sender leading his supernova binary to a merc unit that got hit hard, had a rep for honesty, and where his 50-100 Clan warriors would not disappear into the unit culture.  But yeah, it bucks the trend you got with Xera & Nikola Demos with what happened to large fragments.

I think the POV intentionally did not include Anastasia b/c without her internal reasoning the way it was written left several openings & Verena's (?) feelings could be dismissed later on if they needed to take the fragments in a different way.
Colt Ward

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #530 on: 25 March 2024, 22:38:19 »
Man, the more I read this, the more I think this should've been a whole damn novel, with Killiany writing it. This would've been an excellent continuation of "Wolf Hunters", and it would've been so nice because it would've not only given us something Wolf-centric but not Alaric-centric in a time when alternative perspectives were desperately needed, it would've established Anastasia even more as not being Natasha 2.0 AND given a solid foundation as to why she was made Commanding General of the SLDF.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of this one, Colt. "Wolf Hunters" is my second-favorite BattleTech book ever (second only to "A Rending of Falcons"), and it was really nice getting to revisit some of these characters again after so long.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #531 on: 25 March 2024, 23:00:01 »
Seconded that non-Alaric centric Wolf fiction would be a godsend right now for everyone. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #532 on: 26 March 2024, 00:41:25 »
These posts are intreasting because I was painting up some clan wolf Beta Galaxy mechs and was thinking about it, and it occurs to me, the wolves are just about the only major faction that has, best I can detirmine, never featured in a non spine novel featuring character from the faction as a protag. You don't have many (if ANY) stories about clan wolf in the classic "small unit defending a world agaisnt an invader" mold that most factions get a few of.

I THIIIINK the wolves got one recently in the book "Lethal lessons" but yeah, not a lotta those. It's a shame really, there's a LOOOT of clan wolf history that would be RIPE for a novel.

Like the refusal war could get whole libraries written about it. and the Wolf/Wolf in Exile split was honestly kinda wasted, like a story where two sibkins where split by the clan split and end up fighting each other... that had some intreasting potential.

Maybe someone'll start writing stories like that for Sharpnal, and Clan Wolf will get the kind of writer it so despirately needs, someone to inject some real character into the clan beyond the constant monologues of "I'M THE BEST NO ONE IS BETTER THEN I!"
The Suns will shine again

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #533 on: 26 March 2024, 11:37:00 »
Seconded that non-Alaric centric Wolf fiction would be a godsend right now for everyone.

Alaric would be fine in more fiction IF he gets written as the villainous protagonist he's supposed to be, like in Bonfire of Worlds or Masters of War. But we got a straight protagonist in all the lead up to HOTW books and that was just... dumb. He's not a hero, he's a villain. To the Wolves sure he's a hero, but form anyone reading the setting he's clearly not.

Quote from: BrianDavion
These posts are intreasting because I was painting up some clan wolf Beta Galaxy mechs and was thinking about it, and it occurs to me, the wolves are just about the only major faction that has, best I can detirmine, never featured in a non spine novel featuring character from the faction as a protag. You don't have many (if ANY) stories about clan wolf in the classic "small unit defending a world agaisnt an invader" mold that most factions get a few of.

There was that short story about Wolf warriors left behind in the Empire defending against Dragoons I think, not Redemption Rites, the other one...

Honestly though, aside from the Jihad, Clan Wolf has never had a story like that because... they always get to be top dog. Can't be an underdog when nothing permanently or long-term cripples your faction, and you can recover overnight from setbacks.
Clan Protectorate

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #534 on: 26 March 2024, 11:56:59 »
Hopefully the upcoming novel supposed to be centric on Alaric will set record straight on what character is. He is antihero.

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #535 on: 26 March 2024, 17:04:19 »
Hopefully the upcoming novel supposed to be centric on Alaric will set record straight on what character is. He is antihero.

It's being written by Michael C., who's done a stellar job with characters, especially in his Highlander duology. I have high hopes.
Clan Protectorate

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #536 on: 26 March 2024, 17:42:43 »
Alaric would be fine in more fiction IF he gets written as the villainous protagonist he's supposed to be, like in Bonfire of Worlds or Masters of War.

Alaric was a villain in Bonfire?  Masters of War he was ego, I will grant that but a villain?

Honestly though, aside from the Jihad, Clan Wolf has never had a story like that because... they always get to be top dog. Can't be an underdog when nothing permanently or long-term cripples your faction, and you can recover overnight from setbacks.

You are confusing the Falcons with the Wolves.  The Crusader Wolves were intentionally gimped from 3058 to 3130s.
Colt Ward

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #537 on: 27 March 2024, 06:38:18 »
Alaric was a villain in Bonfire?  Masters of War he was ego, I will grant that but a villain?

You are confusing the Falcons with the Wolves.  The Crusader Wolves were intentionally gimped from 3058 to 3130s.

Really? The only major setbacks the Crusader Wolves got in that period were the Hell's Horses exacting revenge for the 3064 shenanigans and perhaps them loosing a few worlds to the Ghost Bears in the same year. And don't mention the Jihad because the Jihad hit nearly all factions equally. Heck the Wolves somehow managed to keep the Horses from advancing further despite them having lost a huge chunk of their industry and also allegedly having nearly depleted all their storages at one point trying to stop the Horses

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #538 on: 27 March 2024, 06:53:57 »

Not really. Antihero is supposed to be a character that is either flawed in a way that’s objectionable to the average person at the time written or motivated by “unheroic” reasons, but their goals are sympathetic or accidentally good. HotW Alaric wasn’t written as flawed, he’s presented as near flawless in that novel. (DA Alaric is different, he’s an actual character). Per the novel he has no vices, no deep seated character flaws, and his motivation is the “lofty goal of re-establishing the glorious Star League” and everyone he speaks to converts to his cause.

Ignoring the absolutely baffling framing of HotW, Alaric is a villain. His goal is power. Nothing more. He’s calling it a Star League, but does anyone in existence actually think Alaric intends for it to be a group of near equals looking for an era of peace? No, he’s going to attack the known universe until he’s forced them all under his thumb. His actions towards his goals reprehensible - abandoning his civilians, state sponsored terrorism, attacking and annihilating a sovereign nation which has only lashed out against the wolves in defense.

Alaric is a villain. And if he’s the protagonist, then a villain protagonist. That alone doesn’t make him an irredeemably bad character. There’s excellent villains and villain protags.

But again, we’re talking about HotW Alaric as the character appearing in novels going forward now. DA Alaric is a different beast and an actual character and can be treated as, if not a hero, an antihero.
« Last Edit: 27 March 2024, 06:55:31 by Church14 »

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #539 on: 27 March 2024, 07:37:47 »
 Dark Age Alaric was neither a hero nor an antihero, as seen in the Free Worlds League arc. He was an opportunist full of hubris from the beginning but one who had greater vision than other Clanners. I guess you could use him in the Greek sense of a hero, but be sure that you have read the Iliad and Odyssey in whole.