Author Topic: Vehicle of the Week: Vedette  (Read 48352 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: Vehicle of the Week: Vedette
« Reply #180 on: 29 February 2024, 10:24:40 »
I'm thinking it's not the Word of Blake or the ilClan we need to be worried about past 3150...   :evil:

Nope.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

CarcosanDawn

• Corporal
« Reply #181 on: 02 March 2024, 12:21:14 »
I have been using the AC/10 Vedette in Alpha Strike and have found it good for the PV (probably not for the Cbills).

Been playing it against a Capellan player, and he uses Po's rather often, which is very similar (slower but more armor).

However, the Vedettes, especially in the FWL 6-tank formation, really can do their work. They can hit above their capabilities with Special Ammo (armor piercing to the head is just the tank version of Boot to the Head), and they get 1 higher TMM than the Po as well as being a Skirmisher and therefore able to be in a cavalry formation. They're zippy, punchy, and frustrating - well armored enough that not even an Atlas hit can put it in Forced Withdrawal, but no so punchy or well armored to earn the attention of anything more...

...I don't want to look at the Cbills cost with the surplus Fusion engine though.

Makes a great pairing with another FWL tank experiment, the Soarece - in our campaign, the little Vedettes can use their fusion engines and some water to refuel the Soareces in operational moves, while some of their guns share ammo types (both have AC/10s) and their fast speed and annoying propensity for stinging pairs well with the utter inability of the Soarece to die, barring fantastic luck.

Motive crits are a problem, and are a showstopper for the Soarece, but it isn't trivial to shut them down totally, and their armor means you can plonk them in a place and it is Defended™.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #182 on: 02 March 2024, 13:09:05 »
Defended until your opponent decides to put some infernos into it.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

CarcosanDawn

• Corporal
« Reply #183 on: 02 March 2024, 17:53:01 »
Defended until your opponent decides to put some infernos into it.
True, crits will kill it - though infernos in AS don't crit vehicles; tandem-charge SRMs do instead (or AP rounds from auto cannons)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #184 on: 03 March 2024, 00:35:25 »
True, crits will kill it - though infernos in AS don't crit vehicles; tandem-charge SRMs do instead (or AP rounds from auto cannons)

Specialty SRMs are damned difficult to deploy in Alpha Strike in the first place.  Unless you have a minimum of eight SRM tubes, you don't get the SRM special ability, and therefore can't run specialty ammo in your SRM launcher(s).
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

CarcosanDawn

• Corporal
« Reply #185 on: 03 March 2024, 11:37:30 »
Specialty SRMs are damned difficult to deploy in Alpha Strike in the first place.  Unless you have a minimum of eight SRM tubes, you don't get the SRM special ability, and therefore can't run specialty ammo in your SRM launcher(s).

And even if you have eight tubes, if you only have 1 ton of ammo (or Artemis) you can't run special ammo either.