Author Topic: Mech of the Week: NXS* Nexus/Nexus II  (Read 8561 times)

Getz

• Warrant Officer
Mech of the Week: NXS* Nexus/Nexus II
« on: 09 February 2018, 08:07:40 »

In the aftermath of the Battle of Tukayyid, Comstar found itself in a bit of a bind.  Fighting the clans had taken a massive toll on their stockpile of Star League era battlemechs and they needed to get new machines into production to make good their losses.  One notable product of this rearmament program was the all new Raijin medium mech.  Another was a not so entirely new light mech called the Nexus

Under the skin, the Nexus is based on the Jackrabbit, a machine designed for the Star League but with a tarnished reputation thanks to its exclusive use by RWR loyalists during the Amaris civil war.  However, Skobel Mechworks had presumably kept their production tooling in mothballs for 300 years and it possessed a fundamentally decent chassis so Comstar just came up with a new variant, renamed the thing and started cranking them out in numbers.

The Nexus has a lot in common with the Jackrabbit structurally.  Both machines weigh twenty five tons, use standard fusion engines and save weight instead through advanced construction materials.  However, where the Jackrabbit has a light autocannon for long ranged combat, the Nexus opts instead for a shorter ranged, more powerful laser armament.  Similarly, the Jackrabbit has mediocre mobility for a light mech and - whilst 114 km/h ground speed is by no means the fastest a machine this small can potentially go - the Nexus runs usefully faster than its forebear.  The Nexus is also jump capable, although this is best used strictly for terrain handling as you can only jump 120 meters which isn’t nearly far enough to trouble most gunners.

The firepower is punchy for such a small mech.  You have a left shoulder mounted medium laser for closing with the enemy and a medium pulse and small laser in each arm for knife fighting.  That’s a lot of wallop for a twenty five tonner and the standard ten double heat sinks cover all the heat you can generate with ease, but to get the best out of it you need to close to 60 metres or less and that's a big problem - you see, with all this weight of engine and weapons the Nexus has only two tons of ferro-fibrous armour protecting its endo-steel bones.  Some thought has been put into how best to deploy it but there's only so much you can do with this paltry level of protection.  There is just enough armour to keep a small laser from damaging the structure if it strikes the arms, side torsos or head.  The legs are fractionally better protected and the centre torso can, at least, survive a medium laser strike without breaching but if a Nexus falls on its back then it will inevitably damage its delicate internals.  In lieu of heavy armour or exceptional speed for protection, the Nexus instead mounts an anti-missile system in its left torso and I can't honestly think of a worse use of mass for a mech of this type.  Not only does it add an unwelcome explosive critical location to the thinly armoured left torso, it's also of very little help protecting the mech.  I don't hate AMS in principle but the main threats to small, fast machines like the Nexus are pulse lasers and precision autocannon rounds against which an AMS achieves diddly squat.  It's a complete waste of tonnage on a mech that desperately needs more armour and jump jets. 

This puts a NXS1-A pilot in a bit of a bind, you have enough firepower to seriously harm something you decide to dance with but you have neither the armour nor manoeuvrability to survive such antics.  In theory the standard engine should enable the Nexus to survive damage that would cripple most similar light mechs, but in practice there’s so little armour that a couple of hits from a heavy weapon will just blow you to bits regardless.  As such it is probably best employed as a scout hunter - but only against older, slower machines like the classic bugs.  I can see a machine like this having success in the densely crowded arenas of Solaris 7, but in open ground many contemporary Inner Sphere light mechs can easily show a clean pair of heels to a Nexus, and the ones that can't (and some of the ones that can, come to think of it) will have little difficulty piercing your armour.  Taking one of these anywhere near the Clan front would require bona-fide balls of tungsten.  In summary, not a well balanced machine.

Clearly the Nexus could not be allowed to remain in production as it was so in 3062 the Word of Blake came up with an improved Nexus, making a lot of sensible decisions in the process.  The armament of the NXS1-B has been reduced to two ER medium lasers, one in each arm, and a single ER small in the centre torso.  This means that while the mass devoted to weaponry is significantly cut back, at anything more than the shortest ranges the Nexus 1B is a much more dangerous machine.  The weight saved is wisely spent on an additional jump jet - which makes the machine massively more elusive for such a meagre investment of tonnage - and twice the weight of armour.  The Nexus 1B must still be careful not to fall on its back, but its frontal facings are much more resilient.  The arms have twice the armour of the 1A, the side torsos can stand up to a large laser and the legs and centre torso can resist the assault of a PPC.  I do wish there was a touch more armour on the head, however, as that same PPC can still blow it off with a single hit.  Finally, in place of the AMS, the Nexus 1B mounts a C3i computer in its left torso.  This changes the role of the machine from light strike and scout hunting to spotting for a level 2 of heavier machines and that is a role it performs well.  The Nexus 1B can run and jump around firing it's lasers all day long without so much as a quiver on the heat scale and with the same standard engine as the 1A, this mech can suffer quite a lot of damage and still provide targeting data to the rest of its lance just so long as you don't lose the left torso.

Four years later the Word of Blake decided to revisit the Nexus again, utilising technologies unavailable to them in 3062.  The subsequent redesign altered the machine’s appearance so radically they renamed it the Nexus II, but looks aside the NXS2-A has much in common with the NXS1-B.  The mech is now powered by a 200 Light engine so the speed has been increased to 130 km/h without making an undue sacrifice in survivability.  Jump capability is further increased to 180 metres, which is perhaps not quite as far as ideal but every little helps.  Firepower is also increased compared to the 1B with an ER medium and ER small in each arm, but even with these changes the mech is still fundamentally cool running.  The C3i computer is now mounted in the centre torso which is a much more significant change that it might first seem as you can afford to lose either torso and keep spotting - although not both thanks to that light engine.  Endo-steel structure remains but there isn’t quite enough space left in the chassis for ferro-fibrous armour, so the protection now comes from standard plate and it's a half ton lighter than on the 1B.  The arms and side torsos can shrug off a medium laser whilst the legs and centre torso can resist a clan ER medium.  The head is finally capable of surviving a PPC blast and the Nexus II can afford to fall on its centre, if not its side rear torsos.  In short, it might not be a lot of armour, but it is smartly laid out and the extra speed and jump capability means a machine of this type can make a serious attempt not to get hit in a way the old Nexus 1A could not.  It’s unclear if the NXS2-A has supplanted the NXS1-B in production - the two machines are very similar, so it would seem to be redundant to build both at the same time.  As to which is better, which do you prefer?  Armour or firepower?  Speed or survivability?  Personally I’d take the 1-B over the 2-A given the choice, but I can see the case for the more modern machine.

The final iteration of the Nexus II takes it from the role of Level 2 spotter and into a pure scout loaded down with all the finest electronic wizardry the Inner sphere can devise.  A relatively straightforward conversion on paper, the NXS2-B ditches the 2As jump jets entirely and replaces them with a Beagle active probe and Guardian ECM.  The ER smalls are replaced by a head mounted TAG system and to complete the set the carapace is upgraded with Stealth armour.  Despite its mechanical similarity to the 2A, this machine is much closer in capability to the Ostscout OTT-9CS - which is also used by the Word of Blake - only with stealth armour instead of jump jets (and double heat sinks, which the OTT-9CS really suffers for lacking).  As with any mech that bristles with so much electronic warfare gear you need a plan to get the best out of it - semi-guided missiles on a networked missile support mech seems a good place start, but really you want a battery of Arrow IV launchers hiding a couple of kilometres behind you.  Using the stealth armour and the C3 network together effectively also requires timing and forethought.

So, how do you fight one of these things?  Well, if you have anything fast and armed with pulse lasers (you know, like a Dart) you'll make short work of a NXS1-A.  Alternatively, simply standing still in an open area and picking it off with long ranged weapons as it comes to you tends to work too – although the AMS will prevent single hits from modest LRM racks from posing an existential threat to the target.  The Nexus 1A absolutely must close to knife fighting range in order to hurt you seriously, but simply isn't fast enough or tough enough to survive closing in on anything heavier than it.

All the other Nexus' are much harder to tackle.  The NXS1-B in particular is pretty tough for a fast(ish) twenty five tonner and both it and the 2A can actually get a decent defensive modifier out of their jump jets.  Further, as C3 spotters they're likely to be less concerned with actually doing damage themselves in preference to providing good spotting data to their team mates.  As such you can expect them to be orbiting a favoured target at 210 metres, generating the highest defensive modifier they can and sniping you with their lasers in vague hope rather than any expectation of getting hits.  All the usual advice for tackling a light C3 spotter applies - bring a scout hunter with pulse lasers and an ECM then either drive them away or jam their network.  The same goes for the NXS2-B, only now you have to worry about whether it’s spotting for a network or hanging off at a comfy range for the TAG with its stealth armour engaged.  A good gunner behind that C3i and TAG can almost guarantee a deluge of pain no matter what your opponent has brought to the party so you need to kill it or keep it away as best as you can.

As you would expect of a machine associated exclusively with Comstar and the Word of Blake, both the Nexus and Nexus II officially went extinct after the Jihad.  Normally I'd comment how that's a shame, but I find it difficult to believe that anyone much mourned for the loss of the Nexus.  None of the factions left standing had a lot of use for a light mech geared almost entirely around carrying a C3i computer and the NXS1-A is just plain bad – not that I expect many of them were left after Comstar used them against the clans, imagine facing down clan-tech pulse lasers in one of those death traps.  Yeech!
« Last Edit: 13 February 2018, 15:34:27 by Getz »

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
Re: Mech of the Week: NXS* Nexus/Nexus II
« Reply #1 on: 09 February 2018, 08:18:56 »
Interesting, thank you
A flawed 'Mech but interesting I guess
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #2 on: 09 February 2018, 09:02:11 »
Could ComStar's original effort be considered a Elemental hunter?  Elemental hunting would make sense of the AMS since that is the Elemental's weapon with reach until later on.  The four JJ also give it the ability to jump out of the SL/Flamer/MG range those Elementals were armed with while the ground speed would let them skirt the battlefield to the point Omni dropped them off.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 09 February 2018, 09:14:12 »
Could ComStar's original effort be considered a Elemental hunter?  Elemental hunting would make sense of the AMS since that is the Elemental's weapon with reach until later on.  The four JJ also give it the ability to jump out of the SL/Flamer/MG range those Elementals were armed with while the ground speed would let them skirt the battlefield to the point Omni dropped them off.

A scout designed to be able to take out infantry pickets?

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #4 on: 09 February 2018, 09:44:32 »

That could be the only use case for the original when facing the Clans. Though there is another possibility: After Tukayyid, ComStar transferred more capable designs to the Clan front, and used the Nexus to replace those designs in the FWL, CC, and FS. Who cares if the original Nexus sucked if it wasn't going to be in combat? And if it was deployed in the Periphery, maybe it could be a good match for pirates and other lower-tech foes.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 09 February 2018, 10:46:53 »
nice writeup for a less then stellar Mech.

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 09 February 2018, 11:20:05 »

It's not mentioned anywhere in the fluff, but this is a fair point.  The armour might be rubbish, but it is thick enough to resist a scattering of two and three point hits and the choice of weaponry isn't terrible for the job.

nice writeup for a less then stellar Mech.

I'd say that of the four variants, three are actually quite good and only one sucks - it's just the main variant...
« Last Edit: 09 February 2018, 12:23:02 by Getz »

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #7 on: 09 February 2018, 15:16:33 »
While it's probably a decent enough mech for anti-Elemental duty, the problem is that that still puts it in a position where it will have to fight Clan mechs.

And against a Dasher or even a Koshi, the Nexus is going to fold like cheap deck furniture.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #8 on: 09 February 2018, 16:29:01 »
I never said it was a great solution to Elementals, just a possibility.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: 11 February 2018, 22:50:35 »
The Nexus seems more like a somewhat affordable force multiplier. A Nexus by it self is really nothing special but a Nexus and a Grim Reaper or Raijin will force you to split fire. Add the fact the Nexus is a little more survivable than C*'s other lights thanks to it's STD Engine, means it can get close enough to spot for indirect fire and maybe survive long enough to run away.

It's also worth noting the original design seem to originate from the Japanese Battletech PC Game

Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 11 February 2018, 22:58:54 »
The Sourcebook the mech is from does use the japanese art for itself, Grand Crusader and the Raijin. 

The Nexus seems more like a somewhat affordable force multiplier. A Nexus by it self is really nothing special but a Nexus and a Grim Reaper or Raijin will force you to split fire. Add the fact the Nexus is a little more survivable than C*'s other lights thanks to it's STD Engine, means it can get close enough to spot for indirect fire and maybe survive long enough to run away.

It's also worth noting the original design seem to originate from the Japanese Battletech PC Game

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #11 on: 12 February 2018, 00:57:48 »
Which was why all three of them became Unseen, wasn't it?

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #12 on: 12 February 2018, 01:36:47 »
Along with all other VMI artwork, and now we have the Nexus II re-design 

Not bad though the mini still looks like a medium rather than a light

Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #13 on: 12 February 2018, 11:18:22 »
"Fast-moving wad of guns with no real design intention other than 'run up in someone's face and kill'? Pointless ammunition-bomb? Armored like a beer can?

"...Papa, is that you?"

Seriously, it looks like Comstar learned all the wrong things from the Clans on Tukayyid to result in this thing. There's not much to be happy about here- it's quick, but not enough to really distinguish itself. It jumps, but only in a technical sense rather than a useful one. It's heavily-armed, but only the medium laser reaches out to distances that compete with the weaponry on most 3025 lights. The armor is absurdly light- which you might let it get away with if not for the desperate need to close to knife-fighting ranges. And the AMS, as the article notes, is an outrageously bad use of space- it doesn't really help this design, and adds a needless explosive risk. Comstar hadn't built a new design in centuries- and it shows. The Raijin and Grand Crusader had their flaws, but this thing... yeesh. To hell with taking on Ullers, I wouldn't feel all that great about taking on Commandos or Jenners in this thing.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #14 on: 12 February 2018, 19:03:57 »
To hell with taking on Ullers, I wouldn't feel all that great about taking on Commandos or Jenners in this thing.

In the course of writing the article I tried over and over to make the NXS1-A work - I had this niggling sense that there was something I wasn't quite getting about the machine that if I could just grasp then it would suddenly make sense and start working.

But I was wrong - the thing is just a death-trap and nothing more.  I lost them to intro-tech Locusts, Fleas, Firestarters, Cicadas, Vulcans...  The only thing it did okay against where Hornets and Valkyries -  but even then the best I could realistically hope for was a mutual kill, or maybe surviving with a few scraps of structure left only to promptly get killed off by something else next turn.

As I hinted at in the article, I gave up on the NXS1-A when Princess took one down with a Dart DRT-3S.  I was thinking, what if I tried it against something that was forced to fight at the knife fighting ranges the 1-A likes?  Surely it could win in those circumstances - but nope.  The Dart just closed to point blank, opened up the Nexus' torso with it's small pulses and punched it in the AMS ammo..
« Last Edit: 13 February 2018, 15:36:56 by Getz »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #15 on: 12 February 2018, 19:52:12 »
As I hinted at in the article, I gave up on the NXS 1-A when Princess took one down with a Dart DRT-3S.  I was thinking, what if I tried it against something that was forced to fight at the knife fighting ranges the 1-A likes?  Surely it could win in those circumstances - but nope.  The Dart just closed to point blank, opened up the Nexus' torso with it's small pulses and punched it in the AMS ammo..

Okay, it's official: the engineer responsible for the Nexus's development  needs to be shot for treason.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 12 February 2018, 20:00:40 »
It was a traitorous design to begin with.

Okay, it's official: the engineer responsible for the Nexus's development  needs to be shot for treason.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 12 February 2018, 21:08:12 »
@OP
I'll be honest with you here, the way you use NXS and NSX interchangeably irritates the hell out of me.

That said, it's not a bad mech, if you look at it for flavour. Sure wouldn't want to use one, but what can you do.  O0
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #18 on: 12 February 2018, 22:10:28 »
it seems to me that the Nexus
a.) is a definite improvement over its jackrabbit ancestor, it's just when you started with the worst of the worst, it is a major uphill battle.

b.) was probably not meant to be fighting on its own, but rather supporting the rest of its LvII. if there is a BTL-C-2O Battle Cobra watching its back and taking on the clan mechs, a Nexus can take on the battle armor. if it has battlearmor or vehicles on its side it helps a lot too. there are a lot of potential combinations of that kind, with comstar's available units.

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 13 February 2018, 15:35:13 »
@OP
I'll be honest with you here, the way you use NXS and NSX interchangeably irritates the hell out of me.

That said, it's not a bad mech, if you look at it for flavour. Sure wouldn't want to use one, but what can you do.  O0

Gosh, I'm sorry.  I've gone over the article and corrected the mistakes.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 13 February 2018, 15:56:51 »
Gosh, I'm sorry.  I've gone over the article and corrected the mistakes.

Canadian!

Cowdragon

• Captain
  • PM me for Ft. Collins CO battletech games
« Reply #21 on: 13 February 2018, 21:42:45 »
Really a great article writeup! Thank you!

I WISH the Nexus mini looked like that original artwork. The Comstar Sourcebook was the first BTech Sourcebook I ever owned. I've probably read it 20 times, and fall a little more in love with all things Comstar every time.

As for the Nexus, it has always held a special place in my heart. Yet, as the article states, the poor little bugger really sucks. I've messed with and modded this thing multiple times. It's tough...but made for good fun over the last couple decades. That's worth more than the money I paid for the book and my mini and lots else.

I'm going to go mess with it some more. :)

On wings of steel, Come I, Pillars of flame
Mark me, Fury bright as suns, Foes fear
The star back road, I hunt, Blood geld payment
Shan't be, The ravens throne, Blod Orn
- vidar (thank you vidar!!!)
Pie or Spehs and Tanks also BA

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #22 on: 14 February 2018, 08:46:27 »
I was going to suggest that maybe the Nexus was made for "pack hunting" where several of them would gang up on an enemy machine, then realized that if you're facing the Clans that would be the stupidest thing you could do.

You know this could be interesting as a duelist 'Mech against a Clan warrior. If you're a Nexus pilot who announces a Trial against a Clan warrior, that Clan warrior is going to have to give up a lot to make it a fair fight against your...ummm... let's call it "sub-optimal" design.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #23 on: 14 February 2018, 08:52:57 »
A very good article about an intriguing little design.  And thats being polite, sure this thing isn't Targe bad but they are nearly neighbours :p
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #24 on: 15 February 2018, 13:12:43 »
There's two main fixes here. One or the other helps. Both turn it into a beast.

1) Drop the AMS for 1.5 tons of armor. I mean, as the article stated, that thing isn't helping much in defense, and it's putting a bomb in the Mech for no real gain. Bump that armor up, and this is... well, it's 25 tons, there's not all that much you can REALLY do to make it tough, but every little bit helps, right? It sure beats the current armor loadout.

2) Drop both MPLs for standard mediums. Now you have FIVE of them (still the torso-mounted one too, remember!), and the heat sinks to fire all five on the run without caring about heat. Yes, you lost that -2 for the pulse lasers. You also gained 50% range compared to those pulses, and a big boost to max damage output. Yeah, it's a bit vanilla, but it WORKS, especially on a fast little strike package like this.

As it is, with beer-can armor and weapons that require you to find out what color the enemy pilot's eyes are to attack, a Nexus has a lifespan measured in seconds. This at least gains you SOMETHING worthwhile to deal with- slightly tougher, much more ranged and powerful, or ideally both.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #25 on: 15 February 2018, 13:31:14 »
Interesting points . . . with it being a later WoB design I think the -1A would have worked if refit with VSPL . . . or at least X-Pulse.  Both make it easier to hit while also increasing the range.

Then again, I think its disappointing the Blakists did not put VSPL on more designs that survived their fall.
Colt Ward

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #26 on: 16 February 2018, 09:16:02 »

1) Drop the AMS for 1.5 tons of armor. I mean, as the article stated, that thing isn't helping much in defense, and it's putting a bomb in the Mech for no real gain. Bump that armor up, and this is... well, it's 25 tons, there's not all that much you can REALLY do to make it tough, but every little bit helps, right? It sure beats the current armor loadout.

2) Drop both MPLs for standard mediums. Now you have FIVE of them (still the torso-mounted one too, remember!), and the heat sinks to fire all five on the run without caring about heat. Yes, you lost that -2 for the pulse lasers. You also gained 50% range compared to those pulses, and a big boost to max damage output. Yeah, it's a bit vanilla, but it WORKS, especially on a fast little strike package like this.

As it is, with beer-can armor and weapons that require you to find out what color the enemy pilot's eyes are to attack, a Nexus has a lifespan measured in seconds. This at least gains you SOMETHING worthwhile to deal with- slightly tougher, much more ranged and powerful, or ideally both.

If protection is really your thing, you could swap the Medium Pulses for a Medium laser and modular armor. Don't think it'd be a great idea, but you never know.
Be the Loremaster:

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #27 on: 16 February 2018, 12:17:07 »
My take on reimagining the thing is to replace the medium pulses with standard medium lasers, then stick a small pulse in the right arm, two smalls in the left and exchange the AMS for a Medium pulse laser in the shoulder.  That way the armament matches the art (which it currently doesn't) and you have a ton and a half left over for an extra jump jet and a ton more armour.

It's still not great, but it's keeps the flavour of the cannon NXS1-A whilst being better in just about every way.

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 18 February 2018, 15:25:02 »
Sadly, I only have one of the unseen Nexus minis --- in my stolen collection, I had 4....... but I digress.

I have used the original 1A.... if you played Comstar, it was what you got .... and I found that if I hid them in formations with other, tougher,  designs... that I could sneak them along, and if not noticed (which can be easy, if you only use the medium laser, and just treat it like a force filler ...... other people will too) -- that I could occasionally get it around and then open on someone's back armor.  I might not survive the buddies.... if they were where they could get me, but in that role, I could get some use out of it......

I treated it like the Steiner Locust (drops armor for twin SRM2's in place of MG's), or Commando .... lighter armor, but sneak them right, and you get backstabs.... and if done right, they can contribute ......

But, as is noted, the later variants are much better ..... and as a WOB player, I use those, now. Although every once in a while, I sneak a 1A in there, just for giggles, and usually only in Alpha Strike.

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 19 February 2018, 14:19:32 »

I know we shouldn't talk too much about our own ideas for variants but my own thought would be to give the Nexus 4 ER MLas and a targeting computer (as well as dropping the AMS bomb for more armour)

Register