Author Topic: NHL 2019-20, offersheeting and cap beatings  (Read 48748 times)

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Re: NHL 2019-20, offersheeting and cap beatings
« Reply #210 on: 30 January 2020, 21:30:11 »
Was there any champagne left for the rest of the Stars in 1999?

Boxes of the stuff were drank from that cup before anyone else had a chance I imagine.

In other news, it is strongly rumored that Seattle's new team will be called the Kraken.  Most reports seem to key on "RELEASE THE KRAKEN" as the obvious battle cry.  Can't wait to see the new uniform.

Of course, the team denies it, but the rumor is persisting.  The other name in speculation is the Sockeyes.  The decision will be made official likely in late February or early March.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/seattle-nhl-franchise-responds-to-rumors-about-selecting-kraken-as-team-name/amp/
« Last Edit: 30 January 2020, 22:59:38 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #211 on: 31 January 2020, 01:27:23 »
I loathe the Kraken name. I would rather have them be the Sockeyes or something else more associated with the Seattle area like the Sounders or Orcas (yes Vancouver use killer whatles in their logo, but they're still the Canucks.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #212 on: 31 January 2020, 01:31:30 »
Another name in the running is the Metropolitans, which is the name of their original hockey team from long, long ago that folded.

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #213 on: 31 January 2020, 09:01:47 »
What about the Supersonics?
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #214 on: 31 January 2020, 12:40:27 »
What about the Supersonics?
I believe that is reserved for a future NBA coming back to the city. They will need to build a new arena to do that, though.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

EthrDemon

• Sergeant
« Reply #215 on: 01 February 2020, 02:27:05 »
Was there any champagne left for the rest of the Stars in 1999?

On that note, if you didn't see Yzerman's congratulatory message to Ovechkin on the occasion of passing him on the career goals list: Stevie Y asked to be invited to the party if Ovi ever catches Gretzky after seeing the Caps Stanley Cup celebration.

As for Seattle, I like Steelheads over Sockeyes but I'm ok with Metropolitans or Kraken too

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #216 on: 01 February 2020, 09:59:21 »
The NBA owns the Super Sonic's name so that won't happen.  Sockeyes is also a fictional reference and the owner of it has stated unless he is officially approached to use the name he will defend his IP.  I don't think the NHL wants to deal with naming problems a la Golden Knights and will avoid using Sockeyes.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #217 on: 02 February 2020, 00:44:13 »
The Wings have the formula down: lose at all costs. 

I wonder though, besides Bertuzzi,  is anyone on this team tradeable?  We're really bad this year, so bad that it can't help but affect the value of our players.  Makes me shake my head, but even then I have to stop before I get dizzy.  We're that bad.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #218 on: 02 February 2020, 01:23:28 »
I wonder though, besides Bertuzzi,  is anyone on this team tradeable?
Dylan Larkin.  He's having a down year, but at 6.1 million for 3 years controlled that should be worth something of value in picks and or prospects.  It probably won't happen, but I'm not certain this team is going to be competing for a playoff spot in 3 years.  Frans Nielsen might also be also be a candidate for a pick if the Wings are willing to eat say half his salary if some team is willing to take a shot at him rejuvenating himself elsewhere.

EthrDemon

• Sergeant
« Reply #219 on: 02 February 2020, 02:38:43 »
I don't think the Wings would get good value on Larkin, I'm looking to flip Helm or Glendening but there isn't much trade value on that roster

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #220 on: 02 February 2020, 02:50:01 »
This isn't a good year for anything, except tanking.   But we'll see what the trade deadline brings. 

One thing we can count on is Yzerman won't make a trade just to do it.  We'll have to get value back, or we'll sit on what we have.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #221 on: 02 February 2020, 03:29:52 »
I don't think the Wings would get good value on Larkin, I'm looking to flip Helm or Glendening but there isn't much trade value on that roster
You'll get like a 5th or 6th rounder for Glendening to play 4th line on a team that needs PK help.  Good luck on anyone taking Helm though unless salary is retained.  His NTC isn't apparently ironclad and is tied into his TOI played, which he isn't anywhere near meeting.  So there is always a chance he can be re-homed!

One thing we can count on is Yzerman won't make a trade just to do it.  We'll have to get value back, or we'll sit on what we have.
Agreed.  There is no sense in making a deal just to make a deal.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #222 on: 04 February 2020, 17:33:47 »
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/latest-battle-alberta-shows-intensified-hatred-oilers-flames/

Go about 2/3 of the way through the video and watch the throwdown between Mike Smith and Cam Talbot.  Doesn't last long but quite amusing nonetheless--especially the way Smith sets himself up for the fight.

Cheers, Gabe
« Last Edit: 04 February 2020, 23:16:49 by gyedid »
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #223 on: 04 February 2020, 18:01:21 »
The Wings have the formula down: lose at all costs. 

I wonder though, besides Bertuzzi,  is anyone on this team tradeable?  We're really bad this year, so bad that it can't help but affect the value of our players.  Makes me shake my head, but even then I have to stop before I get dizzy.  We're that bad.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/buffalo-sabres-fans-ready-snap-cant-blame/

Listen to the embedded audio clip from a Buffalo call-in radio program.  This Sabres fan is beside himself with frustration and desperation.

Hey [bold]rebs[/bold], are the call-in shows around Detroit like this too?

Cheers, Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #224 on: 04 February 2020, 20:19:31 »
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/buffalo-sabres-fans-ready-snap-cant-blame/

Listen to the embedded audio clip from a Buffalo call-in radio program.  This Sabres fan is beside himself with frustration and desperation.

Hey [bold]rebs[/bold], are the call-in shows around Detroit like this too?

Cheers, Gabe

Sometimes.  People are surprisingly calm and understanding about us being in a rebuilding faze.  Even the comments online are fairly reasonable for the most part.   Yzerman being in charge has a cooling effect I suspect.   But there are outliers, and I even heard one guy say "fire Yzerman" already.  Calls to fire Blashill are high.

The ownership is pretty good about not listening to irate fans, though.  When we get frustrated,  ownership just keeps plugging along with their plan.  And we do get frustrated.   Before the Wings won The Cups, there was a lot of fan vitriol and it could get ugly.  I remember it, fans saying their Grandma could coach better than Scotty Bowman, or wanting to run Mike Vernon out of town.  Especially when we lost to the New Jersey Devils in the Finals.  Frustration hit a fever pitch. 

Thing is I have to go way back to then, the early and mid 90s, to get back to frustration as bad as the caller in your link.  There's a little here and there, but most people are trusting Yzerman with the process. 
« Last Edit: 04 February 2020, 20:37:36 by rebs »

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #225 on: 05 February 2020, 01:45:09 »
From the outside looking in the Sabres management is extremely hit or miss on their signings.  Mostly miss on the large budget deals.  They most definitely overspent on on Skinner, but that may rectify itself next year as he has traditionally yo-yo'd scoring from year to year.  This year is likely going to be his worst offensive output as a pro and that has to be a bit of a worry.  He's 27 now and if you are going to spend big money you do it at this point in his career, what should be his prime.  Next year if he doesn't hit 40 points, then its going to be time to hit the panic button.

You can't say this team hasn't tried to bring in talent, they brought in Okposo and Moulson when they were at their peak which is when you try and lure talent away.  Sheary was nabbed in a trade as a complementary player that you figure he puts in reasonably good numbers with Eichel, but that hasn't happened.  Kruger signing was a wise one, but his choice is probably going to be construed as poor as the results have been marginal.  The Sabres are on an 82 point pace which is 3 more wins than last year and a goal differential of -24.  They were -45 last year.

The good news for Buffalo is they aren't as cap maligned as some other teams. They can rectify the team's roster deficiencies sooner rather than later if they can overcome that 'Buffalo sucks' stigma and get UFAs to sign with them.  Buffalo has 6 UFAs right now on their roster and they should look at moving any and all of them at the deadline that they can for assets.  If they can move Hutton who is a UFA after this season they should as well.  Hutton as a majority starter has been a failure, but as an experienced back up and a price tag under 3 million with 1 year left on his contract should net a pick.

This off season is going to have plenty of talent available in the UFA market, Hall, Hoffman, Krug, Pietrangelo, Dadonov, Kreider, JG Pageau, Toffoli, Barrie, with Holtby and Lehner leading the goalie market.  While I don't think they should sign a goalie, all of the rest are guys that can improve the team.  What they can't do is just throw money away.  Hall's probably not going to sign there unless you throw excess amounts of cash at him, but pretty much any of the other skaters I could see in a Buffalo uniform.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #226 on: 05 February 2020, 21:55:51 »
I am starting to believe that Leafs aren't going to make the post season.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #227 on: 05 February 2020, 22:12:16 »
On that note, if you didn't see Yzerman's congratulatory message to Ovechkin on the occasion of passing him on the career goals list: Stevie Y asked to be invited to the party if Ovi ever catches Gretzky after seeing the Caps Stanley Cup celebration.

As for Seattle, I like Steelheads over Sockeyes but I'm ok with Metropolitans or Kraken too
I say no to Metropolitans just b/c there is a division with the same name.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #228 on: 05 February 2020, 23:43:12 »
Apparently the Leafs thought losing was a big enough issue too.  They traded for Jack Campbell and Kyle Clifford.  So that solves one hole they have had all year by acquiring a decent back up.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #229 on: 05 February 2020, 23:53:31 »
Firesprocket Roosterboyed me. ;D 

I guess we'll see as the season nears the end of the line what fate the Leafs will suffer.  As of now, I agree, it doesn't look good.  But maybe Campbell will make a difference.

Edit:
As for Detroit, that mysterious "upper body" injury that has plagued Anthony Mantha ever since he was body slammed by Jake Muzzin turns out to be a punctured lung.  It may be a while before he steps on the ice again.  Not that it matters for our season, but I do like it when we actually score some goals...  And Mantha would help.
« Last Edit: 06 February 2020, 04:16:23 by rebs »

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #230 on: 11 February 2020, 23:29:54 »
Jay Bouwmeester collapsed on the Blues bench during their game against the Blues.  The rest of the game has been postponed and they stretchered him out.  No other updates available.  His teammates immediately recognized something was wrong and flagged for medical attention.  Hopefully whatever happened it isn't life threatening.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #231 on: 12 February 2020, 00:46:49 »
I caught video of that and read the article about it.  I felt bad for his father, who rushed out of the tunnel to his side right away.  Not a great moment, but still touching to see.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #232 on: 12 February 2020, 09:50:30 »
Bouwmeestar was responsive before they left the arena which is a good sign.  Apparently this transpired on their Blues annual Dad's trip.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/professional/bouwmeester-alert-and-undergoing-tests-after-suffering-cardiac-episode-and/article_e121798d-f74e-57dc-8180-477dd4518e43.html

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #233 on: 14 February 2020, 12:28:31 »
Just heard on the radio, Bruce boudreau has been relieved of his coaching duties by the Wild.  I didn't catch who will be his replacement.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #234 on: 14 February 2020, 12:59:01 »
GM Bill Guerin named Dean Evason as Wild interim head coach.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #235 on: 16 February 2020, 04:37:43 »
San Jose D-man Erik Karlsson is out for the season with a broken thumb that will require surgery.   The Sharks, who are already missing Hertl and Couture, will be hard pressed to make up the loss of so much concentrated salary talent.  Karlsson is San Jose's leading scorer this season.

Edit: In the same game as Karlsson's injury, Evandor Kane elbowed Neal Pionk in the head against the glass, earning a three game suspension. 
« Last Edit: 16 February 2020, 05:15:25 by rebs »

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #236 on: 16 February 2020, 12:32:56 »
I am involved in a competitive fantasy match this week and have both pionk and Kane.   Losing Kane this late in the week stinks.  I am losing right now to a short handed point and Kane plays the PK :(

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #237 on: 16 February 2020, 20:01:17 »
Just heard on the radio, Bruce boudreau has been relieved of his coaching duties by the Wild.  I didn't catch who will be his replacement.

Wonder if they notified him in his Valentines card? 
"Roses are red, violets are blue, guess who's fired?  You!"
"I'm Wild about you!  too bad you're not Wild anymore!"

« Last Edit: 17 February 2020, 10:42:42 by CrossfirePilot »

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #238 on: 16 February 2020, 23:20:59 »
NJ is getting a jump on the trade deadline and selling early.  Andy Greene traded to the Islanders for David Quenville and a 2nd round pick.  The larger deal was trading off Blake Coleman who's excellent on the PK was tied for most goals on the Devils with 21.  In exchange the Devils get a member of the Foote Clan, Nolan and a 1st rounder.

Coleman's somewhat of a late bloomer and costs only 1.8 million and still has a year on his contract after this.  Assuming Foote is as good or better than his father, this should be one of those trades that works out well for both teams weather the Bolts win the cup or get dumped in the first round.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #239 on: 18 February 2020, 00:06:04 »
Presenting the 5 stages of Shea Weber injury grief sponsored by the Montreal Canadiens:

1-He's hurt and we aren't certain how bad.  Waiting for the swelling to go down.
2-Swelling hasn't gone down, we have no idea bad he's hurt.  Once the swelling goes down we will let everyone know
3-He may be out for weeks or the season.  Still waiting to find out.
4-The injury is in the same leg as his previous injury.  He facing the end of his career.  Nashville fans everywhere panic as they might be facing a future cap recapture penalty.
5-Shea Weber is practicing and might play Tuesday.  Every Nashville fans can't now stop hyperventilating.