Author Topic: NHL 2019-20, offersheeting and cap beatings  (Read 48753 times)

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
Re: NHL 2019-20, offersheeting and cap beatings
« Reply #300 on: 21 June 2020, 11:05:50 »
slight OT, but related fact, that college football programs are reporting large spikes of players isn't coming as a surprise and should give every sport pause about restarting games.  None the less I await and see like the rest of you if we have an pro sports anytime this year.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #301 on: 21 June 2020, 18:11:19 »
I think it'll be difficult for any restart if you have any more occurrences like Tampa Bay Lightning theyve closed training facilities after several players and coaches test positive

That happens during playoffs at a team dueling for the next round or even the Cup what happens then? 2 or 3 players a couch or two are positive oh we'll hold off for two weeks? I think not

It'll stain the cup and the victory especially if those players end up in hospital or take it home.  It pains me to say it but its not worth it pay the fees for not completing the season and look towards next year
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #302 on: 21 June 2020, 22:48:25 »
I agree.  Even though just attempting to hold a playoff is a triumph of sorts, it is not worth the price of further spreading covid.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #303 on: 21 June 2020, 22:53:52 »
To use a comparison, in Aussie Rules football we've had the first player test positive in the national comp. It didn't force another postponement of the season, but the team's next match has been postponed indefinitely. In addition, all players who have had close contact with the player are required to isolate for a fortnight. If the team has enough players fit to play, they must play the next week's match. I think these are reasonable expectations for the NHL to use. It's not the end of the world with a single positive case.

But... The NHL can't postpone any of the playoff games. Nor could they permit a team to lose half their list to quarantine for fourteen days. It's an assured loss. I think the NHL is banking on no positive cases, because the alternative is the end of the playoffs.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #304 on: 22 June 2020, 00:34:05 »
I think the outstanding issue Nibs, without hopefully crossing forum rules, is largely a societal and money.  The reason, for example German FB and that you folks can safely bank on games is because of the largely a coordinated response and a flattened curve.  There's a large inconsistency depending on jurisdiction for both here state side.  I haven't taken a look at Canada's numbers as a whole, but I read an article on Sportsnet touting the benefits of different Canadian cities for playoff hubs.

Vancouver, for example, has one of the lower reported cases and fatalities per 100k has an excellent network that could support multiple teams.  Initial rumor though has Vegas as being a hub city would would pretty much doom Vancouver based off similar time zone.

Toronto has as strong, if not better network of rinks and facilities, but has a higher amount of cases and fatalities per 100k.  So while Toronto has a solid case to be a host city, health concerns exist.

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #305 on: 22 June 2020, 01:47:45 »
Absolutely, you are right. It's a matter of predictability, which is always better for business. Vancouver is one of the best places to be in North America in terms of low infection rates.

It's just a pity for some players who have to leave their families, especially with many newborns expected this summer, for two to three months.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #306 on: 27 June 2020, 15:31:42 »
Draft lottery happened and of course the 'unthinkable' happened and we are going to get a team that gets the #1 pick that isn't the worst team by points.  Granted this season has the been impacted by an event like no other in my life time, but I think I'm over the draft lottery system.  Here is the results from NHL.com

Code: [Select]
"1. Placeholder team

2. Los Angeles Kings

3. Ottawa Senators (from San Jose Sharks)

4. Detroit Red Wings

5. Ottawa Senators

6. Anaheim Ducks

7. New Jersey Devils

8. Buffalo Sabres

Picks 4-8 were determined based on inverse order of regular-season points percentage.

Picks No. 9-15 will be assigned to the other teams that lose the eight qualifier series, in inverse order of their points percentage.

Picks 16-31 will be determined by the results of the playoffs"

So if there is a modest update in the round of seeding, the #1 pick may go to a fairly decent team rather than a bottom feeder.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #307 on: 27 June 2020, 16:32:35 »
The Wings once used a number 4 pick to select a certain Hall of Fame player named Steve Yzerman.  So I'm comfortable with the pick.  At least it's not 6th. 

I'm not a great fan of the draft lottery system either, right about now.  But at least it's not as bad as the NBA draft lottery.  Cleveland's luck borders on the corrupted.

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #308 on: 27 June 2020, 19:11:58 »
I think the Blueshirts are due for a lottery win.  :))

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #309 on: 27 June 2020, 22:06:53 »
I think the Blueshirts are due for a lottery win.  :))
It could conceivably happen and would accelerate the rebuild which is already off to a pretty solid start.

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #310 on: 28 June 2020, 00:30:34 »
The only problem that I have is that I reckon they'll force Lundqvist out after this season finishes. Sure, it may be the logical move within the salary cap, but I'd rather the team keep the greatest Ranger of all time instead of an ignominious end to his career.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #311 on: 28 June 2020, 10:36:57 »
The only problem that I have is that I reckon they'll force Lundqvist out after this season finishes. Sure, it may be the logical move within the salary cap, but I'd rather the team keep the greatest Ranger of all time instead of an ignominious end to his career.

The smart move has them move Shesterkin back to Hartford next season and going with Lundqvist and Georgiev as a platoon.  The Rangers aren't going to seriously compete for the Cup and doing anything else would most certainly mess up who they can protect in the expansion draft the season after this.  The best move for the Rangers and Lundqvist (should be ever choose to acknowledge and allow it) would be to trade him to  team in more immediate contention.  The problem is I'm not certain who that would be anymore.  Holtby is going to be on the market and signed to a lucrative contract and Robin Lehner probably right behind him as option 1B.  Hank's salary just make him awfully difficult to trade and cutting him at the end of the season may or may not haunt them later.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #312 on: 01 July 2020, 15:10:12 »
Heard on the radio coming home that both hub cities will be in Canada due to the deteriorating covid situation here in the states.
I have spoken.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #313 on: 02 July 2020, 12:08:45 »
Draft lottery happened and of course the 'unthinkable' happened and we are going to get a team that gets the #1 pick that isn't the worst team by points.  Granted this season has the been impacted by an event like no other in my life time, but I think I'm over the draft lottery system.  Here is the results from NHL.com

Code: [Select]
"1. Placeholder team

2. Los Angeles Kings

3. Ottawa Senators (from San Jose Sharks)

4. Detroit Red Wings

5. Ottawa Senators

6. Anaheim Ducks

7. New Jersey Devils

8. Buffalo Sabres

Picks 4-8 were determined based on inverse order of regular-season points percentage.

Picks No. 9-15 will be assigned to the other teams that lose the eight qualifier series, in inverse order of their points percentage.

Picks 16-31 will be determined by the results of the playoffs"

So if there is a modest update in the round of seeding, the #1 pick may go to a fairly decent team rather than a bottom feeder.
But we could have had *Placeholder* get the top 3 spots! This is still acceptable unless *Placeholder* turns out to be the Pens or Oilers.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #314 on: 04 July 2020, 13:43:58 »
Heard on the radio coming home that both hub cities will be in Canada due to the deteriorating covid situation here in the states.

That doesn't surprise me at all.  I'm glad they seem to be going about weighting host cities based off of safety rather than a geographical convenience.

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #315 on: 06 July 2020, 06:19:00 »
In the last week a lot of sources have been mentioning Edmonton and Toronto.
I have spoken.

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #316 on: 06 July 2020, 13:15:38 »
I wonder how many players will opt-out.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #317 on: 08 July 2020, 16:56:27 »
I wonder how many players will opt-out.
I'll be curious to see who does.  The NHLPA approved the plan to restart and the window to opt out is a short one.  We should know sometime soon.  I think within the next week at the latest?  I saw an opt out deadline somewhere, but can't find it now.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #318 on: 08 July 2020, 17:36:33 »
Amazing! All of the Red Wings are opting out.  Now that's some kind of solidarity!  :D

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #319 on: 08 July 2020, 18:35:08 »
Amazing! All of the Red Wings are opting out.  Now that's some kind of solidarity!  :D
Was the team even going to be a part of the restart?
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #320 on: 08 July 2020, 18:46:11 »
Was the team even going to be a part of the restart?

I jest.  We're buried so deep it won't be daylight for the Wings for several seasons.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #321 on: 08 July 2020, 18:50:36 »
 :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #322 on: 09 July 2020, 20:50:26 »
If they do finally get this thing started, it's going to be epic for us fans. At least Fifteen hours of hockey a day! Here's the qualifier round daily schedule:

12:00PM EST in Toronto
2:00PM EST in Edmonton
4:00PM EST in Toronto
6:00PM EST in Edmonton
8:00PM EST in Toronto
10:00PM EST in Edmonton

Hopefully by then the local watering holes will be open again to watch 'em the right way.   :beer:
I have spoken.

Fat Guy

• Major
I have spoken.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #324 on: 11 July 2020, 12:12:49 »
Hopefully by then the local watering holes will be open again to watch 'em the right way.   :beer:

Given that both Toronto and Edmonton are hotspots, I would hope not.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #325 on: 11 July 2020, 14:59:26 »
Given that both Toronto and Edmonton are hotspots, I would hope not.
I'm sort of surprised they picked Edmonton over Vancouver.  There was always going to be a city in the EST and the choices would have been limited once you eliminated a US cities due to potentially higher exposure.  Toronto is a higher exposure area than the rest of Canada, but most of the US press won't make it a story because it isn't playing out the games in the states.  I'd also expect a surge in Canadian TV rating seeing as how many teams from Canada will be playing in the qualifiers and potentially beyond.

Fat Guy

• Major
I have spoken.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #328 on: 24 July 2020, 09:39:35 »
That alternate logo is fantastic!
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #329 on: 27 July 2020, 09:33:26 »
That alternate logo is fantastic!
I for one love it  ;D

BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!