Author Topic: NHL 2019-20, offersheeting and cap beatings  (Read 48366 times)

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
Re: NHL 2019-20, offersheeting and cap beatings
« Reply #270 on: 22 March 2020, 23:37:05 »
I'm not holding out for the continuation of the season.  Ultimately, I believe, this season is going to be cancelled. It's the prudent thing to do.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #271 on: 23 March 2020, 10:13:27 »
I'm not holding out for the continuation of the season.  Ultimately, I believe, this season is going to be cancelled. It's the prudent thing to do.
I think there's a decent chance of some form of restart. South Korea is restarting it's professional basketball league.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #272 on: 23 March 2020, 12:08:45 »
I think there's a decent chance of some form of restart. South Korea is restarting it's professional basketball league.
Which doesn't really mean anything to us here in the U.S. or Canada.  Both countries are well behind what health and safety protocols South Korea and Japan put into place.  Even assuming that we were, there are multiple NHL teams that share a building with other tenants (NBA) or host other events and the calendar of those events is booked months in advance.  If they don't have a plan in place, assuming it is safe to do so, by say early May I'm fairly certain the season will be a wash.  It will also hurt the NHL significantly more than any other sport because the revenue the league makes are largely driven my the gate attendance which is non existent.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #273 on: 24 March 2020, 14:24:50 »
Which doesn't really mean anything to us here in the U.S. or Canada.  Both countries are well behind what health and safety protocols South Korea and Japan put into place.  Even assuming that we were, there are multiple NHL teams that share a building with other tenants (NBA) or host other events and the calendar of those events is booked months in advance.  If they don't have a plan in place, assuming it is safe to do so, by say early May I'm fairly certain the season will be a wash.  It will also hurt the NHL significantly more than any other sport because the revenue the league makes are largely driven my the gate attendance which is non existent.
True, but in the past events are moved or cancelled due to changes in the NHL/NBA schedule so it's not unprecedented and likely written into contracts for other folks using the venues.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #274 on: 24 March 2020, 21:46:34 »
True, but in the past events are moved or cancelled due to changes in the NHL/NBA schedule so it's not unprecedented and likely written into contracts for other folks using the venues.
I'm quite certain that there are.  It is all revenue driven at the end of the day, but the situation is largely uncharted territory.  If there is a game outside of a teams' home arena(s), it is usually preset ahead of time with some sort of shared gates going to both teams for an overseas game.  When you are talking about hockey and going back to the fact revenue is gate driven, there are going to be other rinks, but what amount of money can they make if say team X can't play in their own barn because the NBA took the date?

Do they play in a AHL barn that can only hold 5000-6000 people and make less significantly less gate money because those teams don't own or share in the revenue like they make in their home arena.  Then again we are talking about a league that couldn't wait to schedule a home playoff game 2 extra days because the owner of the arena booked the space for circus.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #275 on: 24 March 2020, 21:48:03 »
Oh and I almost forgot, the new deadline day to make any future decision on when to return to the ice has been pushed back to April 6th.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #276 on: 09 April 2020, 07:27:40 »
We should be discussing last nights playoff games right now.   :'(
I have spoken.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #277 on: 09 April 2020, 11:00:05 »
We should be discussing last nights playoff games right now.   :'(

It still could happen in some form.  Read last night somewhere (I think it was a link on yahoo) that the NHL is considering neutral site games.  The idea is that team fly into an area and all remaining game, however they happen, would be held at an empty arena.  I still don't think that really solves anything logistically and medically you have to have quite a bit of resources to pull it off.  But they are discussing it and so are other leagues as well.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #278 on: 09 April 2020, 14:45:58 »
I read in an article the good old state of North Dakota could be the possible site for playoffs.   I'm still guarded about it, but I would love some playoff hockey right about now.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #279 on: 09 April 2020, 15:42:49 »
As long as they quarantine them all for two weeks prior to the game(s) and also all staff that will be involved, I see no issues. No practicing together prior to that either. They are best to cancel the season. It is the responsible thing to do.

Or do true all star game where you pull players together from each division and let them practice together and play for the cup.

Aren't the Senators still dealing with COVID running through the team?

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #280 on: 09 April 2020, 21:26:27 »
The Avs and Sens are the only two teams that have disclosed a positive test.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #281 on: 09 April 2020, 21:28:13 »
Season cancelled?!?! Dang and this was the season that I really expected the Wild to take it all!

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #282 on: 10 April 2020, 12:15:22 »
Season cancelled?!?!

Say's who?  ???
I have spoken.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #283 on: 26 May 2020, 16:15:12 »
NHL presser is over.  Regular season is done, top 12 teams by winning pts. %.  Video is on NHL.com and is 15 minutes long.  It's definitely not perfect, far from it as a matter of fact.  Top 4 teams in each conference are playing a round robin for seeding, I don't like that and doubt any Bruins fan will either.   The WC needs this more than the EC which is why they likely went this route.

The next 8 teams in each conference are seeded to play each other to fill out each of the other 4 slots for each conference. That means every one with a pts. pct. over 50% is in.  Most of these match-ups in that seeding pool are meh to me, but it does mean you get a Rangers v. Carolina preliminary which when the season froze sounds pretty damn good.  Also somewhat intriguing, is Edmonton v. Chicago if only for the possibility that Edmonton losses that series.  Habs vs. Pittsburgh in the preliminary also makes for an interesting catastrophe in the making.  More thoughts later after I digest the rest of the match ups.  Oh yeah, almost forgot, Buffalo misses the cut and had 2 games in hand on that last spot that Montreal has.  Yet another moment angst for the sports fans of Buffalo.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #284 on: 26 May 2020, 19:36:20 »
Unfortunately it will feel like watching preseason games due to lack of coherent practicing. No thanks. Maybe teams will have gelled again by the final round but I really don't think it will be enjoyable watching.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #285 on: 26 May 2020, 19:48:47 »
I've been watching too much classic hockey, as have many of us.  It will look really strange seeing our stars of today if they struggle to play well. 

But I'm also glad to see finality to this interrupted season. 

Either way, I got no skin in the game as they say.  My Red Wings were absolutely pathetic.  Hope for next season is tenuous.  I'm more excited about the draft, to be honest.  Lol...

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #286 on: 27 May 2020, 05:06:44 »
Unfortunately it will feel like watching preseason games due to lack of coherent practicing. No thanks. Maybe teams will have gelled again by the final round but I really don't think it will be enjoyable watching.

No crowd either will make things weird
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #287 on: 27 May 2020, 10:48:58 »
I've been watching too much classic hockey, as have many of us.  It will look really strange seeing our stars of today if they struggle to play well. 

But I'm also glad to see finality to this interrupted season. 

Either way, I got no skin in the game as they say.  My Red Wings were absolutely pathetic.  Hope for next season is tenuous. I'm more excited about the draft, to be honest.  Lol...
If I were a Detroit fan I'd be cautious. Looking at the odds, it looks like Detroit has a decent chance to end up picking 4th. Ottawa (by virtue of their & SJ's 1st picks) is most likely to get the top pick, followed with one of the 8 qualifying round losers picking 2nd, another one picking 3rd, and Det 4th.

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1265403385576067073

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #288 on: 27 May 2020, 10:56:55 »
I realize that.  Ottawa has the advantage for the top pick, but Detroit still has lots of picks of their own.  Either way, I'm excited, whether we pick at #1 or 3, or even 6.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #289 on: 27 May 2020, 13:30:44 »
Glad to see Hockey back.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #290 on: 27 May 2020, 17:05:01 »

I don't think it is going to look like preseason hockey, more like early season hockey.  That's my main objection to the 5-12 qualifiers.  After further thought I like how they are planning on doing the 1-4 slots round robin.  Baring injuries, it should give some advantage to teams that qualified to get a few games under their belt.  While the games matter, the fact that most games will be neutral site isn't going to really give a team a home advantage (if there really is such a thing) and a solid team is just as likely to win being in the 4th seed as they would be in the first position.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #291 on: 27 May 2020, 21:06:30 »
glad we have any sport back..
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #292 on: 29 May 2020, 08:14:51 »
I realize that.  Ottawa has the advantage for the top pick, but Detroit still has lots of picks of their own.  Either way, I'm excited, whether we pick at #1 or 3, or even 6.
I can't wait for one of the high seeds (5, 6, or 7) in the East or West to lose in the qualifier round and then win a top 3 draft pick.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #293 on: 29 May 2020, 10:11:54 »
I can't wait for one of the high seeds (5, 6, or 7) in the East or West to lose in the qualifier round and then win a top 3 draft pick.

Yeah, I can totally wait for that, to be honest.  Lol...   Judging by how long the guys have been off, I guess I should expect it, though.  The rust monster will drag somebody down. 

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #294 on: 29 May 2020, 14:51:40 »
Heaps of time to go before the puck drops, but it'll be nice to get Chris Kreider and Igor Shestyorkin back on the ice for the Blueshirts.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #295 on: 30 May 2020, 22:54:50 »

Either way, I got no skin in the game as they say.  My Red Wings were absolutely pathetic.  Hope for next season is tenuous.  I'm more excited about the draft, to be honest.  Lol...

In some ways, that's better than knowing your team is in only because of the peculiar circumstances, and didn't really deserve to be there either.

Especially when they were swept in the season series by the nominally most pathetic team.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #296 on: 31 May 2020, 18:52:17 »
Hey, I wish my team did at least as well as the Habs.  It just wasn't in the cards this year.  Oh well. 

I'll just have to console myself with watching everyone else when we finally start up again.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #297 on: 01 June 2020, 08:07:05 »
Saw a rumor over the past week, that stretching out this season as planned might mean next season's first actual game is the Winter Classic. If so, it'd be kind of weird to wait that long and see what kind of a shortened schedule they come up with.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #298 on: 20 June 2020, 11:40:40 »
Saw a rumor over the past week, that stretching out this season as planned might mean next season's first actual game is the Winter Classic. If so, it'd be kind of weird to wait that long and see what kind of a shortened schedule they come up with.
It could be the case, though not by design.  Heard on a radio update that multiple Lightning personnel test positive for COVID.  Didn't get their source though.

and the Pegulas/Sabres are doing Sabres like things and canned Jason Botterill.  I thought when and if that happened that they'd do that they would add the GM title to Ralph Kruger, but apparently it is Keyvan Adams job now.  I can't see the Sabres getting any better from this particular move.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #299 on: 20 June 2020, 12:49:50 »
Reports are Auston Matthews has even tested positive for Covid.  If more players keep testing positive, it could jeopardize the planned playoffs.