Author Topic: Beating The Odds  (Read 11508 times)

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
Re: Beating The Odds
« Reply #30 on: 23 May 2023, 08:50:41 »
Civil conflict, the best kind.

FWCartography

• Private
    • Foreign Worlds Cartography
« Reply #31 on: 01 June 2023, 02:16:48 »
Tagged.
Great characters, and I love stories that have a smaller scope.

Middcore

• Lieutenant
  • The Inner Sphere could always use more Heroes!
« Reply #32 on: 02 June 2023, 09:20:53 »
Chapter 6: Patriots

Naila Benichou was uncomfortable.

She stopped to inspect her reflection in the mirror by the door of the Thomas Paine Club and smoothed her uniform as she tried to account for the source of her anxiety. There was the vague feeling she had every time she entered a bar, tavern, or saloon of any type that somewhere her mother was making a face of fretful disapproval, yes. But that wasn’t it.

Maybe it was the atmosphere of the place. At Princefield, everyone knew which watering holes were “prole bars” and which ones were the exclusive domain of the blue-bloods, the cadets who had secured their entrance to the Academy through noble birth. The Thomas Paine, with its faux gaslamp lighting, had a distinctly stuffy vibe.

Naila gave her name to a maitre’d - something none of the prole bars would have ever had - and a moment later was led to a small private room with a single table. “Lieutenant,” said one of the three men already seated, rising to shake her hand, “Thank you for coming tonight.”

“Deputy Tremblay,” she said, accepting the handshake, and nodded to the two other members of Calseraigne’s elected government present. “Deputy Gamelin. Deputy Granger.”

It was Tremblay who had asked her to come to the Thomas Paine after finishing her limited duties at the Planetary Guard base this evening. He had not said who else would be there. Gamelin’s presence was not a surprise: from what little Naila had absorbed about Calseraigne’s politics during her time on the world, the two were firm allies in the Assembly, although Tremblay was inclined to more moderate rhetoric than Gamelin’s fiery oratory. Granger, though… that was interesting. A long-time fixture of the Assembly, Granger had twice narrowly lost out on the Speaker’s chair earlier in his career, and now was somewhat famous for appearing to sleep through most debates until suddenly stirring to deliver an incisive quip or put-down directed at whoever held the floor. He was reclined in his chair, arms folded over his bulky body, eyelids drooping, giving the impression of a man already deeply in his cups, although the table in front of the three Deputies was bare.

“You need not have worn your uniform,” said Gamelin.

“Thank you, Monsieur Gamelin,” she answered, although the Deputy’s tone had not suggested he was concerned about her comfort. “But I consider myself to be on duty.” Gamelin’s remark cut to the heart of her anxiety. If she was being honest - and she prided herself on being honest, at least with herself - coming to this meeting felt vaguely illicit, like becoming part of some sort of plot. She had worn her uniform both as a reminder to herself of her own obligations, and because she knew that a regular FWLM officer - the only one on Calseraigne - coming to the Thomas Paine could not fail to be noticed. She had nothing to hide. “I’m afraid I must ask why you asked me to meet with you in this… time and place, Monsieur Tremblay. You know I’m always available to advise the Assembly or any of its committees during their regular business.”

Tremblay smiled indulgently. “Your duty on Calseraigne is to lend your expertise to the planetary government, no? Whether in whole or in part, is it not all the same? Perhaps here with us, you may feel yourself able to speak more frankly.”

Naila scoffed inwardly at this. She had spent most of her life trying to learn not to speak as frankly as she wanted to. When she was a child and her father had invited friends and business partners to the family home, she had made precocious remarks that embarrassed her parents, although she would not understand why until years later. When she was ten her mother had first tried to explain to her, without success, the meaning of the turn of phrase “honest to a fault.”

It was Princefield - learning to navigate the social dynamics and student politics, the abuse from the blue-bloods directed at proles like her who wouldn’t shut up and learn their place - that had finally changed her. Simply saying exactly what she thought and assuming everyone else would be equally as direct and open was incompatible with survival at the prestigious military academy. She had withdrawn into herself, channeled all her frustration into her studies and training. As her efforts paid off and she started to stand out among her peers, her confidence grew, but on the few occasions she said what she really thought it usually seemed to lead to grudges, rivalries, and the occasional duel. A cockpit or a fencing strip were the only places she felt free to truly be herself. And all of her hard work had only brought her here, to a half-forgotten world, with nothing to do but think twice about every word she said to nobles and politicians who weren’t really interested in anything she had to say, anyhow. When she had arrived on Calseraigne, there had been an HPG message from her parents waiting for her, congratulating her on her prestigious assignment - advising a planetary government, so early in her career! - as if they had nothing to do with it, and saying they were proud of her. She had sent a reply saying the right things for a dutiful daughter, that she felt fortunate and honored, when if she had been honest she would have said she felt like shit.

“What is it you wish to speak about, Deputy?”

Gamelin almost spoke over her in his apparent impatience. “Who would you speculate is behind the recent attempt to assassinate Guillaume Everett?”

The outspoken Deputy, at least, was someone who could usually be counted on to get to the point. And yet she knew she still had to consider her response carefully. This seemed well out of the remit of what she had supposedly been sent to Calseraigne to advise the Assembly about.

“The Marquis obviously has forged ties with off-world industrial concerns as part of his Lake Sablier project,” she ventured. “Making powerful friends also creates a chance of making powerful enemies. I recall reading that the terms of the current agreement with LRI will automatically come up for renegotiation in the event of the Marquis’s death or abdication. Perhaps rivals of the Marquis’s business partners sought to eliminate him.”

Tremblay glanced at his companions. “Ah, perhaps. A plausible scenario…”

Gamelin waved his hand like he was swatting away an irritating insect. “But is it the most plausible?”

“I don’t think I understand you, Deputy Gamelin.”

Tremblay laid a hand on Gamelin’s shoulder. “What I think my colleague is trying to say is this: speaking frankly, what do you suppose the average person on the streets of Deloy who just watched the Marquis’s aircraft plummet into the river thinks about why it happened? Or consider all that you have learned about Calseraigne in your own short time here, and then apply Occam’s Razor to this mystery.”

Naila hesitated.

Granger’s rumbling voice actually startled her. She had half forgotten he was there. “You did not come dressed for a social outing, Lieutenant,” he said. “We are not your friends. You do not need to spare our feelings.”

Naila took a deep breath and looked at each of the three in turn, and finally held Gamelin’s piercing gaze. “Given the recent… tensions… it’s reasonable to guess that some percentage of the population believe that the attempt on the Marquis’s life was the work of domestic political opponents.” In the dim light, she thought she saw the ghost of a smile play over Gamelin’s features; she could not remember ever seeing him smile before.

Tremblay nodded and sighed. “We have come to the same conclusion, Lieutenant. In any murder mystery… or attempted murder, as the case may be… one begins with motive. Who had reason to wish the victim dead? Cui bono? As believers in democracy, we must also believe in the wisdom of the common people, and the common person is more than wise enough to ask themselves, ‘Who stands to gain from this?’ even if they lack the education to phrase the incisive question in Latin… or know maxims like Occam’s Razor, for that matter. It is inescapably true that the Marquis’s demise would seem like an answer to a damnable prayer for my colleagues and I: we are known to oppose the Marquis involving himself more and more in the governing of Calseraigne; we would prefer there was no such thing as a Marquis de Calseraigne at all, in fact. With so many already predisposed to think the worst of those of us who have made the people’s business our business, is it inevitable that some will ask: Why wouldn’t they try to knock off the young Marquis?”

“Whatever obligatory expressions of shock and horror we have made or will make about the assassination attempt will convince no one,” Gamelin broke in. “There is no theory of this event that we can suggest which the public is likely to find compelling, or which will not actually serve Everett’s goals. A different brand of paranoid who refuses to think the worst of my colleagues and I will no doubt suspect House Liao, but this will only give credence to Everett’s drumbeat for stronger military defenses. Blaming it on rivals of his business partners is plausible, but there is no evidence for it, and it will only bring further attention to his ambitious humanitarian undertakings,” he fumed.

“You don’t seem to believe the Marquis is sincere in wanting to help the people left behind by the retreat of the Sablier,” Naila observed drily.

“His sincerity or insincerity is immaterial!” the Deputy snapped. “No doubt the Capellan Confederation is very sincere in desiring the well-being of the billions it holds in its grasp. Our ancestors did not overthrow the Confederation to trade one supposedly benevolent overlord for another. Everett’s ancestors understood this, and had the decency to busy themselves elsewhere most of the time, and to stay out of the way at their maison on the seashore during their rare visits here.”

Tremblay raised a pleading hand to his fellow Deputy. “Please, Émile,” he said, “We did not ask the Lieutenant to come here to hear your ideological fulminations.” He turned back to Naila. “The point is, from a political standpoint, it is only Everett himself who benefits from his apparent brush with death.”

Naila was growing impatient. “Deputies, these are political concerns. I was stationed here to advise you on military matters.”

“Surely they could not resist teaching you that ancient bon mot about the continuation of politics at Princefield,” Granger intoned.

Tremblay spread his hands. “Let me be plain, Lieutenant Benichou: we brought you here tonight to ask you to help us prevent a war.”

Naila stared at him, astonished. “What kind of war?”

“The worst kind, and the kind that our beloved League has historically specialized in,” sneered Gamelin.

“The assassination attempt will inflame passions,” Tremblay said. “It has the effect of a provocation. Calseraigne is much closer to an open civil conflict.”

Naila sat in silence, trying and failing to derive any other meaning from what the three Deputies were saying than the one it seemed increasingly, painfully plain they were trying to suggest. “You almost sound as if you think the Marquis shot down his own plane.”

They stared back at her. Even Granger, despite his somnolent facade, was actually watching her closely through half-shut eyes.

“Deputies, you have encouraged me to speak frankly,” she said, “So I will: This is insane.”

“We are not asking you to believe us, Lieutenant.”

“Then what are you asking?” she said, exasperated. “How am I supposed to help you prevent a war?”

“You have a relationship with the Marquis.”

Naila suppressed her irritation at Gamelin’s tone, which made it clear he was not asking a question and came close to sounding like he was making an accusation. “The Marquis and I share a sporting interest,” she said. “Apart from that, my interactions with the Marquis have been limited to pleasantries at social functions, and giving him the same opinions on Calseraigne’s military preparedness that I have given you and your colleagues in the Assembly.”

“And yet that still potentially gives you greater access than we enjoy,” Tremblay said.

“I was not sent to this world to be your spy, Deputy,” Naila said in disgust. She started to rise from the table.

“I know how it sounds,” Tremblay said, with the same imploring gesture he had earlier used in an attempt to calm Gamelin. “We know your duty is to the League, and we would never ask you to compromise that. But would you agree it is not in the League’s interest to have a messy little civil war on a poorly-defended border planet?”

“I would,” she conceded, reluctantly.

“Then if you were to become privy to any information which would seem to indicate one is likely, simply pass it along,” Tremblay said.

“You have also developed a rapport with the commander of Everett’s mercenaries,” Gamelin said flatly.

Naila glared at him. “I met Captain Söderlund at the Marquis’s reception, and it’s fair to say that I hit it off better with her than you did, Deputy. I suppose you want me to pass along any information I get from her as well?”

“The mercenaries are the only BattleMech force on the planet,” Tremblay said calmly, and Naila felt a pang of shame and frustration, wishing with all her heart she was in a cockpit somewhere instead of in this room having this conversation. “They were hired personally by the Marquis. They must be a major factor in any calculation about a conflict on Calseraigne.”

“Just because they were hired by the Marquis doesn’t mean they would obey his orders blindly,” Naila argued. “Smart mercenaries think of their survival and reputation. I’m sure that at some point you’ve heard the statistics on the attrition rate of new mercenary units, Monsieur Tremblay. The Kats have already beaten the odds by lasting this long. In my interactions with Captain Söderlund, she seems conscientious. Besides, a mere six BattleMechs would not last long against the entire militia.”

“You are assuming a scenario,” Gamelin said with that hint of a smile once more, “Where the entire Garde Planétaire could be counted on to defend the cause of liberty and democracy. We assume no such thing. Some may side with the Marquis. Others would simply never respond to a call-up, and wait to see which side wins.”

“The truth, Lieutenant,” Tremblay said, “Is that because you are from off-world, because you have no biases in this little political drama of ours, because your loyalty is only to the League… you may be the only person we can trust to do the right thing.” He looked at her gravely. “We place great faith in your integrity.”

Naila looked down at her hands and found they were gripping the table tightly. With an effort she forced herself to let go, and folded her hands in her lap. “I will do all that I can, compatible with my duty and my honor as an officer, Deputies,” she said.

A few minutes later, Naila left the Thomas Paine through a back door. She had said her goodbyes to the three Deputies, and told them she felt honored by their confidence in her.

But if she had been honest, if only with herself, she felt like shit.

I write BattleTech fanfics. You can find them all on ScribbleHub, and I welcome your comments.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #33 on: 02 June 2023, 17:16:14 »
Honestly, MY money is on one of those three being behind the shootdown without the knowledge of the other two.  ::)

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #34 on: 03 June 2023, 05:47:01 »
Honestly, MY money is on one of those three being behind the shootdown without the knowledge of the other two.  ::)

My money is on one of them being behind it, and at least one of the two knowing it but keeping the knowledge to themselves in case they need to blackmail the guy.

Well, either that, or none of them did it, but each of them suspects at least one of the other two.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 03 June 2023, 08:58:24 »
I was think the same..   I'm guess it is Granger..  but I'm betting he set it up in Gamelin name.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Lazarus Sinn

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #36 on: 03 June 2023, 19:57:52 »
Shooting himself down would certianly muddy the waters a bit and allow the Marquis to play up being the victim for all it was worth.
Foolish consistencies are the hobgoblins of little minds.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #37 on: 05 June 2023, 13:52:38 »
I was think the same..   I'm guess it is Granger..  but I'm betting he set it up in Gamelin name.

Gamelin is the firebrand. This is easy to pin on him. So I assume he is not the instigator. This is either the case descried as one of them being responsible, or it is the plot twist written in neon letters, and it is actually the Marquis who did it.

Cheers,
Xavier

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #38 on: 05 June 2023, 17:52:47 »
I think it's way too easy for a "deliberate" shoot down to go wrong, but that's just my opinion...  ^-^

wolfgar

• Captain
  • Wolfson's Heavy Raiders: 3058-3092
« Reply #39 on: 05 June 2023, 21:35:57 »
I think it's way too easy for a "deliberate" shoot down to go wrong, but that's just my opinion...  ^-^

I have to agree, just like it is too easy for these three to be a part of a conspiracy to kill him
am i the only one smelling a Liao in the mix?
Wolf wins every fight but one, and in that one he dies, his fangs locked on the throat of his opponent.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #40 on: 06 June 2023, 03:13:25 »
That would make sense too... get a civil war going, then send "peacekeepers"...  ^-^

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #41 on: 06 June 2023, 07:06:24 »
Valueless planet, remember. As far as we know, at least. Until the investment is ongoing the Cappies do not seem very interested in it. They are about to be hit by the FedCom at this point (3027), so I find it quite unlikely that they send peacekeepers to Calseraigne.

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #42 on: 06 June 2023, 08:14:42 »
Ja, that is a purely local issue ... but may have been engineered to be a near miss by that MANPAD.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #43 on: 06 June 2023, 08:20:12 »
That, I can buy. But putting yourself voluntarily near the blast zone of a MANPAD shows more strength of character than what I have. If this is the case, of course.
We might be overthinking it, really xD

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #44 on: 06 June 2023, 12:21:13 »
Those MANPADs have proximity fuses usually, don't they?

Adjust the proximity fuse to "looking scary but being harmless" should not be rocket science ... oh ... of course it is  ;D

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #45 on: 06 June 2023, 18:48:12 »
Any planet with a breathable atmosphere is NOT valueless.

Middcore

• Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: 26 June 2023, 11:16:12 »
Hello good people. Obviously I've totally failed to deliver on my pseudo-promise to post 1-2 chapters per week and I feel I owe you all some kind of update.

This is far from dead. The last chapter posted is the end of Part 1, and the story is actually written well into Part 3, although still not complete, and I've been doing a final editing pass on each chapter as I post them. When I started posting, I thought that I was close enough to the end that I would have the conclusion written by the time I "needed it" and that posting chapters here regularly would give me a kick in the butt to make sure I worked diligently on actually finishing the story. So why hasn't it worked out that way?

Without going into too much personal stuff you have no reason to care about: I have been out of full-time work since abruptly getting laid off last fall, and I've only been able to supplement the income from my wife's full-time retail job with semi-consistent freelance work. In silver linings theory this should leave me lots of time to work on personal projects like this. But the overcast reality is me getting laid off is just one line in a litany of misery that we've been through over the past three years or so, and depression is a bitch. Things like a brief vacation that turned into a week of intermittent agony from kidney stones and an unexpected trip to help clean out my mother-in-law's house certainly haven't helped me devote the attention to this that I sincerely want to, either.

It isn't all bad. I'm optimistic that the first (pittance) paid writing I've ever done on gaming (though not BattleTech and not fiction) is going to be published soon. Maybe that will give me some motivation to get back to this. I am determined to finish it, however long it takes. I actually started working on it over two years ago now, and what you've been reading is the third draft after two abortive previous attempts. I purposefully set out with this story to try to stretch myself (compared to the previous ones with this character) by using multiple POV characters and doing a story with some classic BattleTech political intrigue, even if it is on a very small stage. It hasn't been easy and only some of the core concepts survive from the original plot I sketched out. And to tell the truth I haven't always enjoyed working on it. But I am set on finishing it if only to prove to myself that I can, and because I have more plans in mind for Kit after it's over.

That's all for now. I know it's not a great explanation but it's what I've got. Sorry for the self-pity, it annoys me too.
I write BattleTech fanfics. You can find them all on ScribbleHub, and I welcome your comments.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #47 on: 26 June 2023, 16:50:06 »
All our support and patience, of course. real life takes precedence over writing stuff for the enjoyment of internet readers any time. Take care and get better in all your situations :)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #48 on: 26 June 2023, 17:09:41 »
If you need any help with editing, just shoot me a PM.  If you require references, just ask Cannonshop, Monbvol, Giovanni Blasini, 2ndACR, or Failure16.  My plate's a little full, but I can certainly help.  Editing your own stuff can be hard.

Lazarus Sinn

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #49 on: 26 June 2023, 20:01:55 »
Take your time. I am willing to wait.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 26 June 2023, 20:26:05 »
Glad to hear your first paid writing is about to get published. Hope you make millions.
Don't worry if it takes a long time to finish the story, we are patient and understand how bad real life can be.
Good luck.
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Horsemen

• Four for the price of one!
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • CDT Agent #191
« Reply #51 on: 16 July 2023, 22:05:43 »
Do what you need to do to take care of you. I'll pick it back up when you do so.

Middcore

• Lieutenant
« Reply #52 on: 23 October 2023, 21:18:59 »
Yes, forum, I know it's been more than 90 days. Yes, I'm sure I want to reply.

I'm not dead. And I've been working on this again. It's pretty close to being finished, actually, for real this time.

Going to be leaving town for a few days to see my nieces (which will be nice) and go through some more old family junk (which won't be). But expect new chapters to be posted starting in November, if anybody still cares to read.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #53 on: 24 October 2023, 03:15:23 »
Huzzah!  Glad to hear you're back at it! :)

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #54 on: 24 October 2023, 06:09:32 »
Awaiting developments. I have this idea of BUILDING the Kats as a tabletop unit once I finish dragging myself through my plastics, you know.

Cheers
Xavi

Lazarus Sinn

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #55 on: 24 October 2023, 10:57:27 »
Patiently awaiting the next installment.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #56 on: 24 October 2023, 11:17:34 »
Hello good people. Obviously I've totally failed to deliver on my pseudo-promise to post 1-2 chapters per week and I feel I owe you all some kind of update.

This is far from dead. The last chapter posted is the end of Part 1, and the story is actually written well into Part 3, although still not complete, and I've been doing a final editing pass on each chapter as I post them. When I started posting, I thought that I was close enough to the end that I would have the conclusion written by the time I "needed it" and that posting chapters here regularly would give me a kick in the butt to make sure I worked diligently on actually finishing the story. So why hasn't it worked out that way?

Without going into too much personal stuff you have no reason to care about: I have been out of full-time work since abruptly getting laid off last fall, and I've only been able to supplement the income from my wife's full-time retail job with semi-consistent freelance work. In silver linings theory this should leave me lots of time to work on personal projects like this. But the overcast reality is me getting laid off is just one line in a litany of misery that we've been through over the past three years or so, and depression is a bitch. Things like a brief vacation that turned into a week of intermittent agony from kidney stones and an unexpected trip to help clean out my mother-in-law's house certainly haven't helped me devote the attention to this that I sincerely want to, either.

It isn't all bad. I'm optimistic that the first (pittance) paid writing I've ever done on gaming (though not BattleTech and not fiction) is going to be published soon. Maybe that will give me some motivation to get back to this. I am determined to finish it, however long it takes. I actually started working on it over two years ago now, and what you've been reading is the third draft after two abortive previous attempts. I purposefully set out with this story to try to stretch myself (compared to the previous ones with this character) by using multiple POV characters and doing a story with some classic BattleTech political intrigue, even if it is on a very small stage. It hasn't been easy and only some of the core concepts survive from the original plot I sketched out. And to tell the truth I haven't always enjoyed working on it. But I am set on finishing it if only to prove to myself that I can, and because I have more plans in mind for Kit after it's over.

That's all for now. I know it's not a great explanation but it's what I've got. Sorry for the self-pity, it annoys me too.

KEEP YOUR OWN PACE.  We'll wait.  Life (real life) is always more important than hobbies.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #57 on: 24 October 2023, 18:45:21 »
Pace is indeed everything... take your time, good sir! :)

Horsemen

• Four for the price of one!
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • CDT Agent #191
« Reply #58 on: 25 October 2023, 00:48:37 »
Looking forward to it but take the time you need when you need it. Now or in the future.

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #59 on: 25 October 2023, 13:42:44 »
As others have said, take your time, as you need it.

But we are holding an empty bowl while making sad, puppy dog eyes and asking
"Please Sir May We Have Some More????  Pleeeeeeaaaaasssssee???"

"Thank You"

Register