Author Topic: NHL 2013-14  (Read 58045 times)

ItsTehPope

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
NHL 2013-14
« on: 30 September 2013, 09:44:39 »
Ladies, Gentlemen and Goalies!

The greatest season is about to begin its 82 game to determine who is good enough to play for another 20 games.

As usual, please keep it clean and polite.  For the past few years we've been able to go without warnings, bans and locks.  In the past, we have not been so lucky.
If you actually care to listen to my thoughts outside of Battletech, find me at www.uselessblot.com

(4:37:55 PM) moonsword134: You're a bastard.
(4:38:11 PM) moonsword134: And so's the talking whiskey monkey who lives in bottles of tequila to give you ideas.

(4:52:52 PM) ShinjoJinturi: simply by having tag on the field, even in a game that appears to not have any lrms or arrows on the board, you can inspire fear

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
Re: NHL 2013-14
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2013, 10:16:25 »
You know, I enjoyed the reduced schedule last year.  It kept my interest the entire time.

Oh right, rebuilding year.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2013, 10:24:13 »
Aw crap it's that time of year already. I'm looking forward to the AVs squandering all that young talent and fenish in the bottom three of the league as Patrick Roy continues the exercise mediocrity that is the Colorado Avalanche.
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOMâ„¢

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 30 September 2013, 10:37:06 »
I missed NHL Tonight when they were going to talk about the newly designed Pacific Division.  Going to be interesting to see how the re-alignment works this year.  And hopefully the Sharks will be in the top 3

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Damage Inc.

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2013, 11:17:41 »
I have higher than average hopes for the Stars this year.  They looked promising in the silly season.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2013, 12:47:52 »
Bruins basics:

Let's start with the losses. Jagr, to my honest surprise, wasn't invited back and is now in New Jersey. Nathan Horton is gone, signing with the Blue Jackets. Backup goalie Anton Khudobin signed with the Canes. Tyler Seguin is off to Dallas, and took Rich Peverly with him. And perhaps most painful to longtime B's fans, Andrew Ference is now the new captain of the Edmonton Oilers. Most other roster losses were pretty minor stuff like Wade Redden not returning.

And the gains? Trading off party-boy Seguin produced Loui Ericksson in return. That's huge. Seguin was a dingus, but he produced a lot of points, so if you're going to lose him you have to get something significant in reply. Ericksson is a guy I've admired for a long time, glad to have him on board. Chad Johnson is looking like he's the new backup to replace Khudobin, I'll reserve judgement until I've seen him play a bit. Ference gets replaced by one of the multitude of young defensemen the B's have had going (expect to see a lot more of Dougie Hamilton this year!). And of course, no talk of changes in Boston is complete without mentioning Jarome Iginla, although I'm not going to believe it until the puck drops and he's in a spoked-B jersey. Until then, there's too much chance that the Penguins sneak in again.

So, really, call it a wash. They lost some major talent in the offseason, they gained back quite a bit, and while they're a little older up front than they were last year they're also still talented, and got younger and arguably more talented on the back end (with all apologies to Ference).

I predict the Bruins will be a force to be reckoned with in the East again, almost certainly in the playoffs, probably a high seed, and have as good of a chance at the Cup as any team in the NHL.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2013, 17:56:46 »
Greetings once again, everyone.

The Detroit Red Wings are buoyed by a mighty tide of youth, and more valuable prospects cultivating their skills are on the way.  Carefully scouted late round picks, and rookie free agent signings have yielded more young talent that manifested itself late in the shortened season past.  They further surprised everyone in the playoffs (that they barely made thanks to an awkward and inauspicious first two thirds of the season), only to let it slip away after a hard-fought seven game second round with the Blackhawks.  We all know what they went on to do. 

Dan Cleary has stayed, and at a puzzlingly reduced price considering he was our second highest scorer in the playoffs.  I thought for sure Pittsburgh would have him when I heard that Syd Crosby called Cleary about it himself, but he's still here.  Dallas had also flown him down to Texas a few times for talks.  Darren Helm, who injured his back about a year (year and a half, actually) ago doing insane power lifting squats at some level of weight that nobody on the inside will specify, is once more on long-term IR after attempting to come back this training camp, though this may also be a salary cap ploy to start the season.  However, it doesn't sound good for him, his injury is one that pains him every day even though he hadn't played since the start of last season.

The noted acquisition of both Weiss and Alfredson should have a noticeable affect on the team once the shooting starts.  The Wings' power play looks scary to a lot of folks, don't want to talk about it until I see it in action more.  Datsyuk and Zetterberg still on top...  and they will start the season paired with Abdelkader.  He played with them for most of the 48 games last year, and yet only mustered 16 points.  One would think that osmosis alone would have padded his numbers.   Still, I don't think Z or Pavel really know how to properly facewash anyone, so he can be said to provide certain intangibles.   

Let's see how the east welcomes us.  The preseason can only say so much.   
« Last Edit: 01 October 2013, 21:32:37 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: 01 October 2013, 19:24:11 »
Wow. Eight kids from Youth Hockey just carried the Blackhawks' 2013 Stanley Cup Banner onto the ice. How cool it is for those kids.

Also, Blackhawks win the Cup in five (it's their thing).
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #8 on: 01 October 2013, 21:06:01 »
That bump out of the goal line is huge, you could drive a tank through the area below it.

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #9 on: 02 October 2013, 11:19:52 »
Well Hockey has officially gotten under way

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #10 on: 02 October 2013, 12:29:16 »
If you didn't cringe when you saw the replay of Parros' face hitting the ice last night, you didn't actually watch it. Owch.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #11 on: 02 October 2013, 13:11:17 »
Hmmm Flyers picked up Emery for goal.  What could possibly go wrong?
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

ItsTehPope

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 02 October 2013, 13:18:51 »
Hmmm Flyers picked up Emery for goal.  What could possibly go wrong?

Emery had a pretty solid season with the Hawks last year.  Its even more impressive when you consider he shouldn't be walking right now.

The fact that they gave Steve Barking Mason a contract is scary.
If you actually care to listen to my thoughts outside of Battletech, find me at www.uselessblot.com

(4:37:55 PM) moonsword134: You're a bastard.
(4:38:11 PM) moonsword134: And so's the talking whiskey monkey who lives in bottles of tequila to give you ideas.

(4:52:52 PM) ShinjoJinturi: simply by having tag on the field, even in a game that appears to not have any lrms or arrows on the board, you can inspire fear

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #13 on: 02 October 2013, 13:29:49 »
If you didn't cringe when you saw the replay of Parros' face hitting the ice last night, you didn't actually watch it. Owch.

That looked really bad and he is out indefinitely.  Heck my body shivered when I saw that replay

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 02 October 2013, 22:51:40 »

That was brutal to watch.  It's amazing he only has a concussion and didn't dislocate his jaw. The Canadians are reporting that he only has a concussion and has been released from the hospital.   Fortunately for Parros, Orr recognized immediately how bad it was and called for the trainers immediately to get him assistance.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #15 on: 03 October 2013, 00:52:49 »
Wings vs Sabres!  Eastern Conference action.  Loving it already. 

It was a good game after Buffalo finally showed up in the late second period and most of the third. 

Wings had jumped out to a 2 all lead in the first (both goals in quick succession), then tailed off a bit in the second to start looking flat as the Sabres rattled to life and got one in the third.  Nothing looked certain, they kept pouring it on.  Jimmy Howard saw what looked like a shutout almost tied up, as he had been saved by an adoring goal post (they love him! it's true) a few minutes before the Sabres scored.  Sabres could not get a shot off after pulling Ryan Miller, Wings stifled them with the top line, but we couldn't get a shot at the empty net either. 

Abdelkader managed not to get involved with any of the penalties that took place in the first two periods, and looked like he might do better than a projected 30 or so points this year.   

« Last Edit: 03 October 2013, 00:55:52 by rebs »

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 03 October 2013, 03:57:10 »
Avs win again in a home opener. Destroying hapless Victor Fasth in the process.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #17 on: 03 October 2013, 04:06:46 »
They brought the Stanley Cup to my office (United Airlines Network Ops Center) on Wednesday morning.  If I could have stayed after my overnight shift, I could have gotten my picture taken with it.   :)

But I figure it will be back next year.  O0
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #18 on: 03 October 2013, 08:52:40 »
They brought the Stanley Cup to my office (United Airlines Network Ops Center) on Wednesday morning.  If I could have stayed after my overnight shift, I could have gotten my picture taken with it.   :)

But I figure it will be back next year.  O0

Possible, but I can't think of which Bruins player would bring it to Chicago.

^-^

+Crow T. Robot+

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #19 on: 03 October 2013, 08:53:45 »
Oh, and in case people missed it, Patrick Roy hasn't changed much in ten years away from the NHL:

http://deadspin.com/patrick-roy-goes-nuts-breaks-stuff-1440570398

+Crow T. Robot+

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: 03 October 2013, 12:14:33 »
What, this?
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

Maniac Actual

• Lieutenant
    • checkout my fantasy and SF writing
« Reply #21 on: 03 October 2013, 18:21:53 »
Looking forward to seeing my Wings play in the eastern conference, and to kicking Ben Rome's rear in his fantasy hockey league.... :)
AS may be as much a representation of the Battletech universe as the original tabletop game is, but if you tell someone "I'm playing Battletech" chances are, if they know what that is, they're going to take you to mean the original tabletop game. - Steve Restless

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #22 on: 03 October 2013, 20:14:24 »
Oh, and in case people missed it, Patrick Roy hasn't changed much in ten years away from the NHL:

http://deadspin.com/patrick-roy-goes-nuts-breaks-stuff-1440570398

When I saw it, his behavior struck me as acting.  Like he was remembering Marc Crawford flipping his lid on Scotty Bowman through the glass in a near identical scene back in the day when both teams (Avs and Wings) were much more relevant.  What Roy may be missing is the fact that Scotty Bowman was feeding on Marc Crawford like a psychic vampire.  A cold smiling, occasionally nodding instigator of meltdowns.  Just supposition and judgement on my part, but I imagine Roy as saying all the things he thought Crawford should have said.  ;)  Well, more realistically I thought it was a show to set a tone that he's "No-Nonsense Patty" and he's the new sheriff.  Other than that, I shouldn't want to know how he thinks. 

Wings fans are not usually empathetic towards him, or the Avs, or other teams in general, but I had hoped for better from him.  But who knows, maybe his schtick will work for a little while.  We'll find out. 
« Last Edit: 03 October 2013, 20:15:55 by rebs »

Damage Inc.

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #23 on: 03 October 2013, 22:14:22 »
well poo.  Dallas fell apart tonight.  and they looked so good in the preseason.  they looked terrible on both the power play and the penalty kill.  and they werent charging the net at all.  :(

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #24 on: 04 October 2013, 09:53:50 »
Sharks looked really good last night and hoping that they don't implode after game 9 this year

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #25 on: 04 October 2013, 11:43:11 »
Not often you see a team score two shorthanded goals (one a penalty shot!) in a game... figures, Boston traditionally is awful on the power play, but has no trouble scoring on someone elses' man-advantage.  ;D

+Crow T. Robot+

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #26 on: 04 October 2013, 12:05:23 »
Not often you see a team score two shorthanded goals (one a penalty shot!) in a game... figures, Boston traditionally is awful on the power play, but has no trouble scoring on someone elses' man-advantage.  ;D

Reminds me of the 'Hawks last year.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #27 on: 04 October 2013, 13:06:27 »
Speaking of the Hawks... did you guys see the ad a few weeks ago with Patrick Kane doing that insane stick-handling? (If not, Google it, because it's worth seeing)

As it turns out, his teammate Brandon Bollig did one as well, with... different... results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3B8v_ZHA10

+Crow T. Robot+

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 04 October 2013, 13:48:14 »
well poo.  Dallas fell apart tonight.  and they looked so good in the preseason.  they looked terrible on both the power play and the penalty kill.  and they werent charging the net at all.  :(
Good news is tomorrow you play Washington.  Pretty much anyone can score on us.  Just don't take any penalties and you will be just fine!

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #29 on: 04 October 2013, 20:56:55 »
Carolina had a 2 all lead going into the third period tonight against the Wings...   Had.  Zetterberg helped Abdelkader get his first of the year, then scored his own to tie it up.  Weiss came through with his first as a Red Wing in the OT period, averting the shootout.

On to Boston tomorrow night.   :)