Author Topic: NHL 2013-14  (Read 58053 times)

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
Re: NHL 2013-14
« Reply #630 on: 23 April 2014, 00:46:21 »
I guess I'm just to used to San Jose throwing in the towel come playoff time.  I don't think LA was awful tonight, but they weren't playing as well as they could or should.  I think it will be over in 4 at this point.  That Gaborik goal was a beauty though.  At that point I thought they were going to take control, but that idea went out the window quickly.  The other possibility is that Tomas Hertl's minions might have something to do with it.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #631 on: 23 April 2014, 00:49:25 »
I had a good feeling about the Sharks vs the Kings this year.  But I didn't know it would be a smack down like this. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Lord Cameron

• Patron Saint of GenCon Goodies
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #632 on: 23 April 2014, 10:54:26 »
Upon seeing the first ever playoff victory for my team, I may have woken up my dog with hooting and hollering.

And the neighbours dog.

Wait are you a Jackets fan?  8)
I'd love to see the Jackets bump off the Pens.  >:D
Agent #395, West Coast CDT Lead

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #633 on: 23 April 2014, 22:41:09 »
This is one of the best first rounds in a while.   O0   Blue Jackets fans will be too busy to post for a bit.  Stars fans too. 

Only one lopsided series per conference (...so far  :-\ ), but both of them are kind of on the mind-blowing side.   

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #634 on: 23 April 2014, 23:40:32 »
Apparently, the strategy for both teams in game 5 for the Columbus-Pittsburgh should be to hurry up and give up a goal or three first. Am I correct in remembering that the eventual winner of all 4 games so far had to come from behind at least 2 goals?

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #635 on: 23 April 2014, 23:47:50 »
Apparently, the strategy for both teams in game 5 for the Columbus-Pittsburgh should be to hurry up and give up a goal or three first. Am I correct in remembering that the eventual winner of all 4 games so far had to come from behind at least 2 goals?

That is correct, which it appears gives the Penguins a huge advantage- Marc-Andre Fleury seems to be letting in some bad ones again (it's the playoffs!), so they may be down a couple of goals immediately in Game 5.  ;D
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #636 on: 24 April 2014, 00:08:51 »
So every CBJ-PP game has involved a team giving up a 3-1 lead to lose 4-3 and all the Chicago-St. Louis games went to OT?  :o

Btw, if San Jose finishes off LA and Anaheim beats Dallas, then San Jose won't even have to leave California until the Conference Finals  :o

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #637 on: 24 April 2014, 01:06:46 »
Hockeytown became Scapegoat City today.  People blaming Jimmy Howard and Franzen were everywhere.  Have to remind them that this series would be 3 - 0 Bruins if not for Howard.  But Franzen is a Houdini as of late and is in everyone's doghouse, including Babcock who called him out immediately when asked - for not skating to the inside, not being a presence on the ice.  Not much defense for him right now, unless he can do something to change that in the upcoming games. 

Sure, no one wants to become the target of the B's D-men, or their forwards, either, which is what happens when hockey is played in the playoffs.  Beatings and other orc-work occur.  But if we don't start taking up our share of space on ice in front of and around Rask, we're completely doomed because he's not letting in softies that he sees coming right now.   
« Last Edit: 24 April 2014, 01:20:44 by rebs »

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #638 on: 24 April 2014, 06:57:10 »
...and all the Chicago-St. Louis games went to OT?

Just Games 1, 2 and 4. Game 3 was a Chicago shutout.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

ItsTehPope

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #639 on: 24 April 2014, 07:54:50 »
So every CBJ-PP game has involved a team giving up a 3-1 lead to lose 4-3 and all the Chicago-St. Louis games went to OT?  :o

Btw, if San Jose finishes off LA and Anaheim beats Dallas, then San Jose won't even have to leave California until the Conference Finals  :o

Correct.

They also blew out a bunch of speakers at Nationwide last night trying to keep up with the crowd.
If you actually care to listen to my thoughts outside of Battletech, find me at www.uselessblot.com

(4:37:55 PM) moonsword134: You're a bastard.
(4:38:11 PM) moonsword134: And so's the talking whiskey monkey who lives in bottles of tequila to give you ideas.

(4:52:52 PM) ShinjoJinturi: simply by having tag on the field, even in a game that appears to not have any lrms or arrows on the board, you can inspire fear

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #640 on: 24 April 2014, 08:13:48 »
Correct.

They also blew out a bunch of speakers at Nationwide last night trying to keep up with the crowd.

Understandable, I suppose. Not like they've ever had a crowd to test against before.  ;D

(Hey, I'm just glad they have one NOW!)

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

ItsTehPope

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #641 on: 24 April 2014, 09:01:22 »
Understandable, I suppose. Not like they've ever had a crowd to test against before.  ;D

(Hey, I'm just glad they have one NOW!)

Aaron Portzline said it was the loudest thing he had ever heard.  Louder than the first game at home in 2008 playoffs.

And you know what?  Its solid money that they'll make the second round at this rate.  NYR/CBJ would be incredible - lots of haterade between those two teams these days.  And I'll put good money Callahan goes to CBJ after this season as well.
If you actually care to listen to my thoughts outside of Battletech, find me at www.uselessblot.com

(4:37:55 PM) moonsword134: You're a bastard.
(4:38:11 PM) moonsword134: And so's the talking whiskey monkey who lives in bottles of tequila to give you ideas.

(4:52:52 PM) ShinjoJinturi: simply by having tag on the field, even in a game that appears to not have any lrms or arrows on the board, you can inspire fear

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #642 on: 24 April 2014, 09:24:28 »
Surprise! Zetterberg is in for Game 4 tonight.

...Uh oh.

+Crow T. Robot+

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #643 on: 24 April 2014, 16:24:40 »
Surprise! Zetterberg is in for Game 4 tonight.

...Uh oh.

Not sure if it's the best decision, because now we need to politely ask the Bruins bench to take it easy on the convalescing Swedish athlete at the beginning of each period.  But what's done is done and no one is going to tell that dude no this time of the year.

Bertuzzi will be there too.  Problem with Bert these days - aside from the fact that Chara can point and call him a pylon  ;D - is that I think he has to let someone hit him several times before he can retaliate without fear of league reprisal.  It's his own fault, but still, not much of a goon because of that. 

Joking a little but you know what I mean.  ;D   Good luck to everyone tonight. 

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #644 on: 24 April 2014, 22:29:41 »
Man... ok, so Game 4 got a little hairy, eh?

3-2 OT win, and Boston can close this thing on Saturday afternoon. Ugly game- the first period was all Detroit, and even when Boston got going it seemed like they weren't making things happen- as many times as Gustavsson gave them a wide open net to shoot into, it seemed like they almost weren't willing to take the gifts- Marchand in particular is going to be up all night thinking about a few of his chances.

But... a win is a win, I guess. I'm already looking for my 'HABS SUCK' shirt.

+Crow T. Robot+

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #645 on: 24 April 2014, 23:18:38 »
I seriously don't know who I hate more, Lucic or Marchand.  But they are good at what they do.  A power forward with determined skill and a mean streak as big as he is at 230 + lbs.  Elite player.   And then there's the other one.  A pest - an old simple word, root of pestilence as we know it, but likely known and pronounced in many different yet similar ways, and he is it and that is what he was set to do.  Except he can score too, just not tonight.  He's what Kirk Maltby always wished he was, honestly.  Man, what a hateful turd that dude is!  Gah!  ;D

Zetterberg looked good considering he had blades cutting and scraping near his spine in February and hasn't played a game since game one of the Olympics.  And the team responded to his return by waking up early tonight.   We came close, but it was not enough and now we have to win in a nice comfortable afternoon game in Boston on Saturday - just to stay alive this year.  We used to be good on the road.  Let's see what it brings.
« Last Edit: 24 April 2014, 23:22:28 by rebs »

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #646 on: 26 April 2014, 11:57:19 »
Hurray, Oates and Mcphee aren't going to be back next season!  Wonderful news to wake up to.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #647 on: 26 April 2014, 17:01:28 »
Good game, Boston!  We tried to make it a series, but you didn't want that it seems.

Defeat is always odious.  But it is mitigated somewhat by knowledge that for the second year in a row, we were eliminated by the best and brightest in the conference, and probably the entire league.  Vindication will only come in a couple of months, but it will be amazing if the B's are not there to play for the Cup.

Like Rene Rancourt motions after singing, give them one, give them two, give them three right in the face.
« Last Edit: 26 April 2014, 17:03:03 by rebs »

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #648 on: 26 April 2014, 17:12:03 »
Maybe Detroit threw the series because they wanted to see a Habs-Bruins series too  :P

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #649 on: 26 April 2014, 17:15:53 »
None of the NHL sites are loading right now.  It's a sign that the Habs-Bruins collision event will change the world forever.

edit: there they went, back up.  But for two or three minutes there I was wondering what had happened.
« Last Edit: 26 April 2014, 17:17:25 by rebs »

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #650 on: 27 April 2014, 00:28:23 »
Avs...  was at a local tavern watching this one, and the Cbus/Pitt game.  Everyone could tell MacKinnon was going to play huge in OT.  And boy he did just that.  And before that, the Pens played a strong game, too.  But Columbus has their crowd for next game, we'll see if Fleury stays in the zone or not. 

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #651 on: 27 April 2014, 09:09:21 »
Tough game for the Wild last night. Doesn't help when you are playing against the Avs and the refs... 

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #652 on: 27 April 2014, 10:29:25 »
Man I can't seem to figure out what is going on with the Sharks???? They should have taken the game last night but the Kings just outplayed them.

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #653 on: 27 April 2014, 19:57:09 »
Just wanted to say any inflammatory things I said about Marchand were meant in only the old-time hockey sense of accolades due a player who does good things for his team at the expense of my own team.   O0   

The Bruins destroyed the Wings.  Destroy the rest of them, now. 

I feel fine because I heard the sound of many expiring contracts screaming as one, and then, silence...  and a void filled with millions of greenbacks to work with.  And an amnesty buyout.  And a couple of targets to buy out.  Things will be a-hopping soon.  Rumor has it at least one youngster will be moved.  Don't know who, but Holland will choose wisely, I feel, no matter the outcome.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #654 on: 30 April 2014, 20:47:41 »
Game sevens are so great to watch, and all the more enjoyable when you don't have a horse in the race.

Congrats NYR for dispatching the Flyers.  Philly made it a close series, as close as you can get without OT in game seven. 

Now for Colorado/Minnesota and then the real Battle of California.
« Last Edit: 01 May 2014, 01:46:36 by rebs »

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #655 on: 30 April 2014, 20:53:38 »
Game sevens are so great to watch, and all the more enjoyable when you don't have a horse in the race.

Congrats NYR for dispatching the Flyers.  Philly made it a close series, as close as you can get without OT in game seven. 

Now for Colorado/Minnisota and then the real Battle of California.

No, the Battle of California Part One. To be followed soon by the Battle of California Part Two.

Do you think Oilers management ever look at their new division, calculate their chances of making the playoffs and conclude that their odds of making it any given year add up to Whisky?

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #656 on: 30 April 2014, 23:46:46 »
WILD!!!!!!!

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #657 on: 30 April 2014, 23:50:06 »
Dang good game, great end to a nail biting series!

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #658 on: 30 April 2014, 23:51:13 »
Some guy not named Andrew Brunette caused me not to go 8 for 8 on my picks  :'(

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #659 on: 01 May 2014, 00:27:41 »
So with Round 2 starting tomorrow here are my picks

Boston over Habs in 6.  Boston is just the better team.
Rangers over the Penguins in 7.  I can't pick the Penguins two rounds in a row and I can't imagine the Rangers winning a series in less than 7 games.

LA over Anaheim in 6.  I believe the real Kings are back.
Blackhawks over the Wild in 6.  The Wild proved they won't die, but I just don't know that they can hang with the battle tested 'Hawks.

Register