Author Topic: How does AtoW work ?  (Read 2331 times)

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
How does AtoW work ?
« on: 11 July 2022, 23:27:51 »
Hi all

Just wondering, how does this work ?

Get cards, make character, faction, mech etc ?

Thanks

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
Re: How does AtoW work ?
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2022, 00:19:26 »
?Not sure I'm  following the question with the extra bits you added?

It's an RPG.
If you're looking for full mechanics it will have to wait till I get home. (Not fond of that much writing on my phone)  :thumbsup:

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2022, 01:29:42 »
A Time of War is meant for creating and using individual characters in a campaign setting. These can be used for human-scale campaigns, or can be mated with Classic BattleTech to run CBT campaigns with more detailed pilots, command staff, etc.

Between the two currently-supported systems, A Time of War embraces the crunchy rules and unforgiving lethality that BattleTech is often known for. It's a very in-depth system that can take a while to learn, and requires a lot of work in setting up scenarios and campaigns, but in return can give much more detailed and authentic results for GMs and players willing to explore its depth. Some GMs and players may find the depth overwhelming, however, and some of the rules and procedures can at times take a little bit to grasp.

As a direct descendant of CBTRPG, and in turn MechWarrior 3e, A Time of War is designed to plug into Classic BattleTech as seamlessly as possible, with minimal stat conversions required (barring things like infantry weapons, though most of those are already pre-converted). Many AToW-exclusive rules can, with with fairly minimal handwaving, be converted for use with Classic, and vice versa. Many aspects, such as Special Pilot Abilities, are implicitly shared between the two. For conflicts that don't quite reach the scale of CBT, but still require more than what can smoothly be run one character at a time, AToW also includes the Tactical Combat system, a descendant of BattleTroops, which is designed to run combat with a handful of squads and light armored units. Opinions on Tactical Combat are mixed, but when applied correctly it can produce satisfying results.

All in all, A Time of War is ideal if you want a highly detailed and grounded BattleTech campaign with several complex options, that can easily plug in to existing tabletop rules with a mostly-seamless transition between interpersonal intrigue and 'Mech-scale combat.
« Last Edit: 12 July 2022, 01:52:54 by pokefan548 »
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2022, 06:49:00 »
Hi all

Just wondering, how does this work ?

Get cards, make character, faction, mech etc ?

Thanks

Basically, the game is played by a number of Players Characters (PC) and a Game Master (GM).
The players create PCs using the character creation rule provided in the rule book which consist of coming up with a number of Attributes (Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, Etc.), Skills (Perception, Small Arms, Gunnery/Mech, Etc.), and Traits (Good Reputation, Wealth, Fast Learner, Etc.) collectively called stats.
This information is then transcribed on to a sheet of paper called a character sheet which is used as reference when information about the characters ability to successfully complete a task is required.
All of the above are generated based on a character creation structure that in unique to each individual RPG.
The GM creates scenarios and challenges that the PC must overcome using the skills their PCs have. This is called an adventure. Think of it like you are watching your favorite Sci-Fi show but you are the characters in the show.
During the game the GM plays the part of all the Non-Player Characters (NPCs) that the PCs will interact with.
The GM also assigns the Target Numbers (TN) that the players have to roll on 2d6 (two six sided dice added together) based on the difficulty of the task at hand and any factors such as environment, time, distance, etc..
The players and the GM Role Play out the results of these rolls and any interaction with NPCs.

Hope that gives you a better idea of what an RPG is and how it works. If you have any further questions feel free to ask.
« Last Edit: 12 July 2022, 06:58:35 by victor_shaw »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2022, 08:20:53 »
Pokefan548 and victor_shaw pretty much hit it on the head.  In the link in my signature block, I have a spreadsheet that can help streamline the math during character creation (among other things).  Like the others, I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have!  :thumbsup:

Nodachi

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 15 July 2022, 08:41:42 »
Combat is lethal. But then it always was. Just remember, personal scale weapon ranges are closer to real world then mech scale. Distance and cover are your friends. Grenades and grenade launchers are your best friend, ya.  8)

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #6 on: 12 November 2022, 21:22:56 »
Where can you find the rules (or Stage 3) for Warrant Officers (Title and Pg, plz)? I really just need to the times for Basic and Advanced for VTOL pilots (presuming that's the path to train VTOL pilots). I have ATOW but not ATOW companion plus I'm not sure if I've seen Warrants as a Stage 3 path in any of the FASA era Field Manuals...
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #7 on: 13 November 2022, 00:25:45 »
AToW's Rank trait does not have any support for WO ranks, only E ranks and O ranks. Any Warrant Officers are generally just an alternate name for high-ranking enlisted ranks used by a few factions per AToWC.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #8 on: 13 November 2022, 07:48:38 »
Pokefan548 has it right: there are no Warrant ranks in the RAW.  Personally, I've long advocated for "O-0" to be Warrant Officer.  Rules-wise, that would require OCS on top of your basic and MOS training.

Using an Academy (from AToW page 83), you'd take:
Basic Training (1 year)
Pilot/Aircraft (1 year; page 151 confirms Piloting/Aircraft is the skill you need for VTOLs)
Officer Candidate School (1 year)

If you want maximally useful VTOL pilots, throw in Cavalry or Infantry as a second Advanced Field that adds the Artillery skill for another year (page 80 refers).

Register