Author Topic: Battlemech piloting and Fatigue  (Read 1640 times)

DericStrider

• Recruit
Battlemech piloting and Fatigue
« on: 19 February 2023, 18:30:09 »
Hi all,
My players are chasing down a lance of mechs and support in their own mechs, they have traveled by running across relatively flat plains and walking through forests. It has been over 24 hours. Are there ATOW rules for being awake and piloting for long periods? Should I make them roll body checks or straight-up fatigue dmg?
« Last Edit: 19 February 2023, 18:39:22 by DericStrider »

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
Re: Battlemech piloting and Fatigue
« Reply #1 on: 19 February 2023, 19:13:39 »
Have them make intermittent piloting rolls @ +1  (and/or) anytime they cross thru impeding or rough terrain.
they need to stop and rest soon: people will start hallucinating.
Even with sci-fi wakeup pills, the brain starts shutting down at 30-32 hours.

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #2 on: 19 February 2023, 19:27:28 »
I believe Campaign Operations has rules for strategic fatigue—though from memory, those mostly relate to number of scenarios played in a row.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2023, 19:29:40 »
There are rules for extended actions and fatigue damage on page 189. I would give the players fatigue damage. WIL checks to not fall asleep may also be applicable.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2023, 20:13:28 »
I'd inflict Fatigue damage every 2-3 hours of piloting, with no recovery unless they actually call a halt.  It's a good thing I didn't have to drive home after the ~30 hour days I've worked.  Your brain will start to steal naps at that point, and the last thing you want to be doing is driving when that happens.

DericStrider

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 20 February 2023, 18:12:52 »
Cheers all, i've housed ruled it to be 2 fatigue dmg per 3 hours for walking speed and 1 fatigue per hour for max speed and adding the modifiers from the table. The out-of-the-mech fatigue seemed a little harsh at +1 per BOD min at walking to use for mech piloting.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #6 on: 20 February 2023, 19:05:58 »
That sounds reasonable to me...  :thumbsup:

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 20 February 2023, 20:07:38 »
Cheers all, i've housed ruled it to be 2 fatigue dmg per 3 hours for walking speed and 1 fatigue per hour for max speed and adding the modifiers from the table. The out-of-the-mech fatigue seemed a little harsh at +1 per BOD min at walking to use for mech piloting.

I like this.

Horsemen

• Four for the price of one!
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • CDT Agent #191
« Reply #8 on: 20 February 2023, 23:10:07 »

Definitely seems workable. I'll try this out next time it comes up in one of our sessions.

Register