Author Topic: Pipboy comes to TV!  (Read 5178 times)

BairdEC

• Master Sergeant
Re: Pipboy comes to TV!
« Reply #1 on: 02 July 2020, 13:42:29 »
... Bethesda Game Studios' Todd Howard and Bethesda Softworks' James Altman will also exec produce.

Oh well.  It could have been good.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #2 on: 02 July 2020, 16:21:53 »

Oh well.  It could have been good.

Executive producers aren't generally involved day-to-day and there's no way the current IP owners aren't going have some kind of official role. Look at the writer, regular producer, director combo before looking at the executive group.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Niopsian

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno.
« Reply #3 on: 02 July 2020, 18:08:10 »
Executive producers aren't generally involved day-to-day and there's no way the current IP owners aren't going have some kind of official role. Look at the writer, regular producer, director combo before looking at the executive group.

I haven't seen any of Westworld. I remember people being pretty positive about the first season, but then less so about the following ones.

The article linked is interesting - I had never heard of a production deal that pays out regardless of whether the studio opts to go to full production or not. Is that common, or something that has come about due to streaming?

...cut a manager in to come up with a plan and the next thing you know you're big in Japan

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: 02 July 2020, 19:13:47 »
Executive producers aren't generally involved day-to-day

They are usually the folks arranging the money

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #5 on: 02 July 2020, 19:28:01 »
They are usually the folks arranging the money

Precisely. Or it's honorary (like a beloved director giving a remake his or her blessing as Exec.).
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 02 July 2020, 19:31:30 »
I frequently judge the quality of a series by the numbers of executive production credits - the more, the worse the series.  Once it gets to around seven or eight it's typically horrible.  Picard was one of the few exceptions to this rule.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #7 on: 02 July 2020, 19:34:23 »
<insert meme about Todd Howard looking for new ways to sell people Skyrim here>

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #8 on: 02 July 2020, 20:27:15 »
<insert meme about Todd Howard looking for new ways to sell people Skyrim here>
I went from not interested in buying Skyrim to Pre-Ordering the Collector's Edition for the 360.   ::)

Between Oblivion, Fable 1 & 2, Fallout 3 and NV, and Two Worlds 1, I had enough unfinished RPGs to keep me busy.  Then I saw a review of the game, and one line changed my mind.  The reviewer said he'd encountered a Necromancer that was raising Zombie Chickens.   :o

After spending hundreds of hours on the 360, without Finishing the Game, I then got the XBone version, and I've spent even more hours without finishing the game.  ;D

And a Friend had to look up online WHERE the Necromancer with Zombie Chickens was, so I could go see them!  Haven't been there on the XBone yet though.   :-\
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: 03 July 2020, 00:42:17 »
I haven't seen any of Westworld. I remember people being pretty positive about the first season, but then less so about the following ones.
Westworld is awesome all the way through, some people dislike it because it requires them to actually think.

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: 03 July 2020, 07:55:25 »
Westworld is awesome all the way through, some people dislike it because it requires them to actually think.

That is it exactly. I watched the first few episodes and decided that I didn't want to have to continually think up rationalisations for enjoying watching people get raped and traumatised.

See, you can do that both ways :-)

Why do you need to make watching a TV show some sort of moral choice?

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 04 July 2020, 16:06:04 »
and you see right there why it "fails" any show that might make you think is out.  To many of the canceled shows have required you to think and well people don't want that

rant over  back to the discussion at hand
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #12 on: 15 July 2020, 02:59:58 »
Amazon isn't allowed to produce another SF series until they produce the Culture adaptation they bought the rights to in 2018.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #13 on: 15 July 2020, 09:46:00 »
I'm sure that this show is going to be super-buggy on launch.  Expect a day-one patch and even after that it's going to have terrible hit detection on attacks and characters will clip through objects all the time.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #14 on: 15 July 2020, 20:37:40 »
I'm sure that this show is going to be super-buggy on launch.  Expect a day-one patch and even after that it's going to have terrible hit detection on attacks and characters will clip through objects all the time.

;D ;D ;D
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
  • I am here to keep the peace
« Reply #15 on: 15 July 2020, 21:02:22 »
;D  :thumbsup:

As a long time fan of the Fallout games, I truly hope this series succeeds.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #16 on: 16 July 2020, 20:34:38 »
I do too.

I actually got to talking about this with one of my friends last night, and the question is: what's the plot going to be about?

Mining one of the games doesn't seem like a good idea just because that requires you to establish canon and also sets people up to complain about their favorite character's lack of representation.

Personally, I think that the main characters should be a small group of Vault Dwellers who were forced to leave, and the Vault is now uninhabitable.  For the first season, I think that a gang of hostile Super Mutants would be good as the primary antagonists, with raiders being the starter villains and things like Radscorpions and Deathclaws showing up as more episodic threats.  The Brotherhood of Steel makes contact and offers help in the short term, but is obviously not looking out for the heroes' best interests.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 17 July 2020, 10:16:43 »
I do too.

I actually got to talking about this with one of my friends last night, and the question is: what's the plot going to be about?

Mining one of the games doesn't seem like a good idea just because that requires you to establish canon and also sets people up to complain about their favorite character's lack of representation.

Personally, I think that the main characters should be a small group of Vault Dwellers who were forced to leave, and the Vault is now uninhabitable.  For the first season, I think that a gang of hostile Super Mutants would be good as the primary antagonists, with raiders being the starter villains and things like Radscorpions and Deathclaws showing up as more episodic threats.  The Brotherhood of Steel makes contact and offers help in the short term, but is obviously not looking out for the heroes' best interests.

You got it! Thats 5 seasons in that story.  ;D

IMO if they dont do a story based in any of the games it wont work (because of those that dont know what is Fallout).

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: 17 July 2020, 13:10:09 »
Using the setting is enough, you only need a couple of core concepts for it to be Fallout.

- Post-apocalyptic
- Vaults
- Pipboy in some kind of form
- Mutiants and giant scorpions
- Power armor.

And only the first two are really necessary, maybe the third.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #19 on: 17 July 2020, 13:16:11 »
Using the setting is enough, you only need a couple of core concepts for it to be Fallout.

- Post-apocalyptic
- Vaults
- Pipboy in some kind of form
- Mutiants and giant scorpions
- Power armor.

And only the first two are really necessary, maybe the third.

The first three are needed, along with that iconic narration and song(s) for the opening credits.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #20 on: 17 July 2020, 14:58:09 »
And if they're smart, not retell any of the games, maybe even choose a new area to prevent overlap and cries of creative license.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 19 July 2020, 17:58:15 »
Mind you guys that I never wrote that it would need an exact copy of one game. I wrote that it should follow the model presented in the games.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #22 on: 19 July 2020, 18:45:53 »
Though it should have a team of main characters with different skills rather than a hero who can do anything.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #23 on: 21 July 2020, 08:49:06 »
Though it should have a team of main characters with different skills rather than a hero who can do anything.

Sure... as long as it doesnt turn into A-Team...  ;D

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 22 July 2020, 18:29:42 »
A loner survivor finds some guy in a vault suit in trouble (animal attack, bar fight, raiders, about to get fleeced, whatever) and saves his blue butt.  This kindness backfires on her as he starts following her around like a lost puppy.  For some reason, she takes pity on him and puts up with it.  Even tries teaching him some things (like stop walking around in a bright blue jump suit with yellow trim).  Maybe she's just curious because the back story he gives her is questionable at best.  Maybe she's planning on taking advantage of him, trying to learn where his vault is.  Maybe there's a reason she's so familiar with how a pipboy works...
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #25 on: 22 July 2020, 20:38:42 »
Happy but worried. Tv shows and movies from games have very low results
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #26 on: 22 July 2020, 21:58:15 »
I'm trying to think of a TV show that was based on a video game that wasn't a kids cartoon like the various Super Mario Bros cartoons.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: 23 July 2020, 03:23:10 »
Witcher.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #28 on: 23 July 2020, 09:05:10 »
Hard to call that one a "low" result.  Anything else?

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #29 on: 23 July 2020, 09:33:50 »
Hard to call that one a "low" result.  Anything else?

There’s plenty of anime that crossover genres. Depends on if you consider anime a kid’s cartoon or not.

There’s a “list of television series based on video games” on Wikipedia. It’s divided by genre, such as animated, anime and live-action.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Register