Author Topic: MOTW - RD-1R Roadrunner (Emerald Harrier)  (Read 9519 times)

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
MOTW - RD-1R Roadrunner (Emerald Harrier)
« on: 20 May 2018, 21:49:32 »
Just a bit of out of universe explanation. I thought it would be fun to show a description of the Roadrunner from it’s originally fluffed perspective, as a ghost that moved very fast, only noticed by Comstar. I hope you all enjoy the read….

New Threat Report.  Adept John Helder, ROM Analyst, 01-17-3051

Intercepted Audio Log. Date: 06-12-3050 Planet: Toland

"..... damn... that little ... fast.  Clocked at ... two hundred and forty ... hour.  Barely register... vibrations.  Less than... tons."

Intercepted Audio Log. Date: 07-01-3050 Planet: Twycross

"It came from no where.  Hit the fuel depots and disappeared.  Haven't seen it in 3 days."

Acquired Mission Log.  Date: 11-22-3050 Planet: Malibu  Unit: Covert FC Unit, designation unknown

"Our squad got hit by a light star of mechs.  A Dasher, two 'Mechs that appeared to be Locusts with Clantech, and two very small bogies.  Vibration monitors put it at 15 tons, but it's armed with two of the Clan Medium Class Lasers, the ones that put our Large Lasers to shame.  The ultralights sped up as soon as they pinged us on magres.  We lost two Swiftwinds before we even knew what hit us.  The sight of our Spider and repurposed Raven seemed to scare them off, but their damage was not insignificant.  We've pulled back to our dropship and will be extracting shortly. We're too compromised."

Unknown 'Mech Temporary Designation: Roadrunner
Possible Clan Designation: Emerald Harrier
Sightings: 12

From the data we have been able to discover on the Roadrunner, it appears to be an ultralight class 'Mech.  Similar to the experimental Fleas of the Succession Wars (see technical file 164-012), it mounts minimal armor and a light armament, for a Clan Mech.  Vibration monitor reports that its mass is just 15 tons.  From visual analysis, the armor is Ferro-Fibrous and knowing the restrictions of Clan Mech production, it likely is fitted with just 1.5 tons of the plating.  Speeds have been clocked as high as 240kph, which would imply a Class 210 engine.

Armament needs to be confirmed, but with visual logs showing only two muzzles and golden laser beams, we assume them to be Clan Extended Range Medium Lasers.  Those two combined can outgun many Inner Sphere medium mechs from just 25 years ago.

My analysis shows that while the 'Mech is extraordinarily fast, the minimal amount of armor is key to it's defeat.  Medium Class Lasers can go internal at any location on the 'Mech.  It is theorized that a well placed hit from a Large Class Laser will completely destroy the 'Mech.  Pulse Laser Technology, especially the Large Class will be key to defeating this 'Mech if it appears in large numbers anywhere in the future.  The LB-10X Autocannon, especially used en-masse could also be an effective deterrent to this effective striker.  Any forces facing the Roadrunner would need utilize terrain to slow it down enough to be hit.  Urban Environments also do not suit the 'Mech as the tight cornering would reduce the maximum speed of the chassis.

Threat Level: 4 - High
Probability of Mass Threat: 1 - Low

Luciora

• Major
Re: MOTW - RD-1R Roadrunner (Emerald Harrier)
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2018, 21:58:39 »
Such a cute little mech.  So glad they made a mini of it.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2018, 23:39:55 »
*beep-beep* :)
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2018, 04:11:39 »
Sounds like a job for a mine field.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2018, 04:38:42 »
Such a cute little mech.  So glad they made a mini of it.

For reference, I actually designed the mini as well!

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2018, 07:10:07 »
Dayum, you sure like the bugger.
I wonder - wouldn't it be better with an ER-Flamer? It's not exactly a force of reckoning, the tactical options would suit it.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2018, 09:26:18 »
Weirdo wouldn't use mines or pulse lasers. All he'd need is a fluid gun with oil slick ammo. Then the Roadrunner hits the slick at 210kp/h and *beep* *beep* is what you hear on the pilot's comchannel as he skids into a river.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2018, 10:32:03 »
Weirdo wouldn't use mines or pulse lasers. All he'd need is a fluid gun with oil slick ammo. Then the Roadrunner hits the slick at 210kp/h and *beep* *beep* is what you hear on the pilot's comchannel as he skids into a river off a cliff before a giant boulder falls on him.

Fixed that. ^-^
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2018, 14:28:09 »
Too bad the Emerald Harrier wasn't invented by Clan Coyote. Seems like a missed opportunity to make me laugh my ass off.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2018, 14:35:22 »
Too bad the Emerald Harrier wasn't invented by Clan Coyote. Seems like a missed opportunity to make me laugh my ass off.

No, Clan Coyote would hate the Road Runner because they would never be able to catch it ;)
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2018, 14:47:07 »
Blue and gray is just so clan Coyote though!

No, Clan Coyote would hate the Road Runner because they would never be able to catch it ;)

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #11 on: 21 May 2018, 19:21:56 »
Clan Coyote. Clan of science. And gadgets.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #12 on: 21 May 2018, 21:41:11 »
Dayum, you sure like the bugger.
I wonder - wouldn't it be better with an ER-Flamer? It's not exactly a force of reckoning, the tactical options would suit it.
I'd not want to get the mech that close to infantry or BA.  It's likely to significantly more damage then it would deal in return.  The bugger is pretty good in AS.  2 damage for 24" range and enough speed that makes it difficult to hit.  BV is reasonably good for a Clan mech at 888.

Seems like a large investment to kill one mech.

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2018, 05:50:32 »
Seems like a large investment to kill one mech.

Nah. Thunder mines are cheap.
Be the Loremaster:

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 22 May 2018, 10:08:00 »
Better use Thunder Augmented mines.  Got to make sure there aren't any avenues of escape.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #15 on: 23 May 2018, 06:52:18 »
For reference, I actually designed the mini as well!

Stinger, was the Roadrunner built by the Advanced Coyote Mech Experiments group?
Be the Loremaster:

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #16 on: 23 May 2018, 10:57:01 »
I'm surprised we only got the variant that was in the original FASA flyer.

You'd think by the Dark Age they'd try to spruce it up with some spiffy new toys.
I have spoken.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #17 on: 23 May 2018, 11:24:16 »
What exactly would you want on it?  It can't under any circumstances afford to close with enemies, so a one ton weapon with a range of 15 is really the perfect fit for it.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #18 on: 23 May 2018, 11:29:21 »
I really like this style of write up where its an in character one, and I love what you did here :) The Road Runner's a cute little thing, a great harasser but god help it if you get hit.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #19 on: 23 May 2018, 12:11:56 »
What exactly would you want on it?  It can't under any circumstances afford to close with enemies, so a one ton weapon with a range of 15 is really the perfect fit for it.

Yeah, I mean you can get a couple of HMLs on it, but it's probably not a great idea to dance with the devil like that. Brings you in range of MPLs and other nastiness. This really is about as good of a setup as one can ask for on this tonnage- why mess with perfection(ish)?
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #20 on: 23 May 2018, 12:45:04 »
Well, in the notable pilot entry in TRO3150 I gave a few options. Let me see if I can find my notes with all the details.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #21 on: 23 May 2018, 12:47:09 »
I'm sure this is happening in the Clan Homeworlds...where someone found a Roadrunner that may have been liberated from a forgotten Clan Brian Cache.

« Last Edit: 24 May 2018, 10:57:55 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #22 on: 23 May 2018, 12:53:24 »
Well, in the notable pilot entry in TRO3150 I gave a few options. Let me see if I can find my notes with all the details.
Ah, found it. Without going into too many details, it was to make it an omni with 4.5 tons of podspace, same speed and armor I believe. And we all know that leaves plenty of tonnage for Clan tech.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 23 May 2018, 13:00:10 »
I'd not want to get the mech that close to infantry or BA.  It's likely to significantly more damage then it would deal in return.
Well, in a direct fight. I know it's unclanlike, but I was thinking more about hitting a supply depot.
Besides, for direct combat, at the time of it's introduction BA and Infantry were rather short-ranged. (edit: Though at that time, no ER-F. hmm)
I believe the Emerald Harrier is one of those concept designs, to see how far you can push it - and it shows when you've pushed it too far. The mech reaches that point: With just one rating step less, you could double the armour.

As for what you could do with a modern adaptation of the mech, it's not for this thread to discuss, but the combination of modern components ((X)XL) could yield some noticable increases in capability.
Edit: Whelp, I was ninja'd three times. Well, there goes that.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2018, 13:04:00 by UnLimiTeD »

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #24 on: 23 May 2018, 21:54:04 »
What exactly would you want on it?

I'd make it even stupid faster with an XXL engine.   >:D

After that, anything else to save weight to add a little more armor (and maybe switch to reflec). Small cockpit. XL gyro.

Maybe improved heavy mediums.
I have spoken.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #25 on: 23 May 2018, 22:00:58 »
Definitely not heavy mediums, improved or otherwise.  The drop in range is way too much: when your mech has an armor rating of "nope," you want to make sure you can engage with as much range as you possibly can.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 24 May 2018, 03:16:00 »
I think we're reaching the point where a design thread would be a solid idea. ^^

One actual question regarding the mechs function, though:
What was it meant to do?
The clans aren't big on hitting the back lines, and for pure combat, it is too light - A clan pulse laser is a lethal threat. It's quirks don't lend themselves to a flanker, either.
It doesn't carry scouting equipment in any configuration known to me, either.
« Last Edit: 24 May 2018, 03:26:38 by UnLimiTeD »

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #27 on: 24 May 2018, 06:28:00 »
I think we're reaching the point where a design thread would be a solid idea. ^^

Here you go: RD-1R Roadrunner (Emerald Harrier) MotW design thread. Please post any designs in this thread so the mods don't get angry.

One actual question regarding the mechs function, though:
What was it meant to do?
The clans aren't big on hitting the back lines, and for pure combat, it is too light - A clan pulse laser is a lethal threat. It's quirks don't lend themselves to a flanker, either.
It doesn't carry scouting equipment in any configuration known to me, either.

I think that's best answered by the XTRO entry:
Quote from: XTRO:RotS vol 1
But the Roadrunner does shine as a training BattleMech, with simple controls that are very easy to handle even for novices. Indeed, it is likely that the Emerald Harrier was originally built for that same purpose, given that its last recorded Jade Falcon deployment was with Eyrie units on Coventry in 3058.

The entry also points out the very things you did about no anti-infantry weaponry or electronics so it'd be a sucky recon unit.
« Last Edit: 24 May 2018, 06:35:22 by mbear »
Be the Loremaster:

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #28 on: 24 May 2018, 16:23:43 »
I'd make it even stupid faster with an XXL engine.   >:D

Did someone say Ludicrous Speed?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #29 on: 24 May 2018, 16:28:38 »
I cannot tell from the picture but it looks like it has a hand down?

Makes me wonder about giving this thing handheld weapons for special operational considerations . . . and while the Falcons may not have deployed it in combat much, I COULD see the IS doing it for just that sort of described attack.  The Foxes could sell this thing as a deep mech raider- face it part of the problem when punching a raider force through enemy lines is having something keep in contact.  A force of mech raiders will need to break contact with hovertanks which could follow them, and ideally when trying to execute such a move either your ASF keeps enemy VTOL/ASF from following or you are faster/outlast them.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Register