Author Topic: Raven Alliance: The Shiny Red Button of Orbital Doom  (Read 126291 times)

Doy

• Sergeant
  • Clan Snow Wolf
    • Clan Snow Wolf - Homepage
Re: Raven Alliance: The Shiny Red Button of Orbital Doom
« Reply #210 on: 03 January 2019, 16:37:50 »
Why ?

LAM are cool and it should give more as a few

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #211 on: 03 January 2019, 17:35:55 »
LAMs are not that hot when you think about how ubiquitous LBX and HAG flak is in the era 3075+. One crit and you can't transform out of Airmech mode. That kind if bites. Also LAMs are so slow in the air that really only do well when there are no other ASFs around that might get on their tail. Someone did a Snow Raven LAM back on Solaris7 way back when. I wish that I could find it.

Glider Protomechs however, I think show promise.
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #212 on: 03 January 2019, 19:15:56 »
i still think the Raven Alliance should be the first one who made a LAOM ( Land Air OmniMech) called Snow Raven III a totem Mech who can Support the Ground Units and even the Fleet.

FWIW, under the construction rules, omnimech/omnifighter technology in incompatible with LAMs.  (But maybe for a Boondoggles TRO...)

LAMs also cannot benefit from the weight savings of XL engines, endo-steel structure, or ferro- armors under the construction rules.  So while they get some bump from Clan freezers and lightweight weapons, LAMs will still be inferior to Clantech mechs and fighters in their respective environments.

Thanks to the Blakies and Manei Domini, we've actually seen canon Clantech LAMs.  Look up the Pwwka, Waneta, and Yurei.  (They're on Sarna.)  While I'm sure those designs can be improved, they're nothing to write home about, either.

I think a better idea would be a Raven version of the Horse QuadVees.  Raven aerospace fighters that can convert to hardened WIGEs or hovertanks like Horse quad mechs that can convert to hardened tracked or wheeled tanks.   I have not explored the concept, so no guarantees it could be made to work with a reasonable ruleset.  But "AeroVees" at least have some precedent in the QuadVee, and probably make some sense in-universe for planetary landings.

"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #213 on: 04 January 2019, 03:12:37 »
Now I need to stage a battle between Horse Autobots and LIAM decepticons

Doy

• Sergeant
  • Clan Snow Wolf
    • Clan Snow Wolf - Homepage
« Reply #214 on: 04 January 2019, 11:00:21 »
Natasha i break this rules for an LAOM (<- OmniMech) also a new Experimental Clan Version
Why SRV-3 because SRV-1 was to little for the weapons and SRV-2 have problems with transforming and so stuck in fighter mode ...
I thinks this rules are made because the unseen Problem and so i vote for bring them back and the Construcktion Rules are for I.S. LAM

But i speak from an experimental new type of Mech
(I use the LAM Rules for an Example and use Disign Quirks for to made it. The Clan would use some of this Technologies becaus is normal for them!)

I love transformation stuff and LAM/FLUM and QuadVee are great ideas who should not gone (is just my view)

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #215 on: 25 March 2019, 23:47:24 »
Are the Raven fans still active?  I miss my spacefaring friends in the Outworlds. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Xeno426

• Sergeant
« Reply #216 on: 26 March 2019, 00:32:19 »
With the new DMC game out, I'm suddenly reminded that one of the primary manufacturing planets that the Ravens now have is Dante...
Anyone want to create a mech called Sparda?

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #217 on: 26 March 2019, 07:19:12 »
Are the Raven fans still active?  I miss my spacefaring friends in the Outworlds.

I am.

Sadly we have no new Raveny info. We got left out of Shattered Fortress. No mention at all  :'(
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #218 on: 26 March 2019, 07:25:36 »
hello there,

Any specific reasons why the Ravens are not expanding outwards? there are a lot of planets in the Wastes that could do well and contribute to the collective with some Outworlds re-colonialism. This has puzled me for a while.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #219 on: 26 March 2019, 07:45:24 »
Nothing that we've been given officially. My guess would be that the Ravens lost so much population during the move to the Outworlds, which is itself very low population, it has been a rebuilding game since then.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #220 on: 26 March 2019, 07:46:01 »
I am.

Sadly we have no new Raveny info. We got left out of Shattered Fortress. No mention at all  :'(

That's because you always save the best for last!
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #221 on: 26 March 2019, 07:50:14 »
That's because you always save the best for last!

We can but hope.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #222 on: 26 March 2019, 08:04:15 »
really I think if the Raven's do anything it will be to punch the Combine in the back of the head at a very opportune moment for the Ravens, otherwise its a sit back and wait case and when INSERT CLAN NAME HERE goes "We are the IlClan!" the Raven's reaction will basically be.

Along with some diplomatic platitudes and other niceities and that's about it.  There's simply too much distance between them and the IlClan for them to be able to do anything if they didn't bend the knee and the IlClan is probably going to have trouble enough from ALL its borders to be able to punish the Ravens for any slight.  Its the same kind of situation with the Dominion, whereas the Ravens have distance and 3/4 of the Combine in the way.  The Dominion has its military and industrial strength largely unafffected by all the goings on and they can politely ignore the ilClan jumping up and down or making demands.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #223 on: 26 March 2019, 08:08:04 »
Its the same kind of situation with the Dominion, whereas the Ravens have distance and 3/4 of the Combine in the way.  The Dominion has its military and industrial strength largely unafffected by all the goings on and they can politely ignore the ilClan jumping up and down or making demands.

How the bears have everything perfect all the time irks me.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #224 on: 26 March 2019, 08:31:04 »

*laughs in Ghost Bear*

But yeah the Bear's have had a lot going their way even if their stuff of late has basically been boring since the Nova Cats went away. The poor cats they were not just holding the idiot ball but had ingested it.  There's NO reason other than idiocy that they would constantly walk up to the Bears/Dominion, slap their beer out of their hand, spit on their chest and then go "You want some!?" and then act like the Injured party who was the victim of an injustice when they got their teeth kicked in.  Only to go back once out of hospital to do it again! :S

But regarding the Ravens, they've got a lot of growing to do, they also have a LOT of worlds to exploit and considering that they went into territory occupied by the Space Amish with all they had on their backs, its taken a lot of time to build up, but the Raven's have not had much in the way of disasters happen to them since the Dark Ages IIRC and are quite happy up in their corner of the Inner Sphere.
« Last Edit: 26 March 2019, 08:39:56 by marauder648 »

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #225 on: 26 March 2019, 15:17:00 »
The consensus on the forums is that the IlClan is going to go on a rip roaring rampage of revenge through the Great Houses.

Failure to bend the knee will paint a target on you. Clans have long memories and neither the Alliance or Dominion is as strong as a Great House. Just saying...
« Last Edit: 26 March 2019, 15:25:37 by Jellico »

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #226 on: 26 March 2019, 15:23:27 »
hello there,

Any specific reasons why the Ravens are not expanding outwards? there are a lot of planets in the Wastes that could do well and contribute to the collective with some Outworlds re-colonialism. This has puzled me for a while.
Who says they haven't?  The Ravens are known for subterfuge.  They may have five galaxies, a naval star of Leviathans, and millions of citizens waiting in secret.

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #227 on: 26 March 2019, 16:05:11 »
Who says they haven't?  The Ravens are known for subterfuge.  They may have five galaxies, a naval star of Leviathans, and millions of citizens waiting in secret.

Heh, even I don't think they have that.  Though it would be in character for them to have a secret base somewhere in the Wastes.  But I couldn't put more than 2 galaxies, and a star of mixed-sized warships (and I super, super doubt they have any more real warships at all, those things were just tracked too well - a few stars of light-Castrum pocket warships on the other hand...).

Mothballing Quatre Belle in the 3090s could have been a cover for moving a portion of the yards.  And their frequent forays into the Wastes with their warships could easily have involved moving supplies and personnel. 

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #228 on: 26 March 2019, 16:31:40 »
The consensus on the forums is that the IlClan is going to go on a rip roaring rampage of revenge through the Great Houses.

Failure to bend the knee will paint a target on you. Clans have long memories and neither the Alliance or Dominion is as strong as a Great House. Just saying...

This I don't actually doubt.  But the problem is that's going to take time.  As far as we know there's going to be 3 players in the final fight

Falcons
Republic
Wolves

and again there could be more, the Bears might turn up unannounced etc, but at the end of the book the fleet jumping in MUST be the Falcons, Malvina's insane and she simply can't let the Wolves get the big shiny prize.  Of the other Clans that we know of the Horses don't have the military strength to pull off a move like throw everything at Terra and the Falcons and Lyrans and Republic are still in the way.  The Ravens are in the same boat but even further separated by distance and at the short end of the military stick, and the Bear/Dominion simply does not seem interested and is happily gobbling up Kuritan space with no real movement towards the Republic.  That leaves us with two, the Falcons who are lead by an Omnicidal maniac and the Wolves who are lead by a guy who's name has some serious historical conqueror connotations to it.

Who ever wins out of the Falcons and Wolves (At a guess) they are going to be in no fit state right away to do much other than plant flags everwhere and get REALLY drunk in the party afterwards.  Their Toumans are gonna be beat up, even if, again, assuming here, the surviving RAF forces either join them or stand down, and don't keep fighting in other systems etc.  And the other Houses in the region then don't go "Oh naw you didn't!" And attack on their own.  Assuming that the IlClan can hold onto what its captured and secured Terra and the surrounding systems as well as preventing uprisings etc and rebuilding factories and so on and so on. THEN they could think about going on an extremely vigerous walk to Marik space or Lyran space . 
Just securing Terra and all the other stuff could take anywhere up to a decade before the populace stop trying to leave landmines in your beds for all we know. 

Sure after 10, 20 years after the IlClan has actually secured its holdings and expanded, then the more outlying Clans IE the Bears and Ravens and the scattered Sharkfoxes might very well bend the knee and all hail the ilClan.  But whilst the IlClanship is a win condition for the Clans, and back during REVIVAL it MIGHT have been an instant win condition (assuming the Clans political rivalries and inter clan rivalries don't make them turn Terra into a Mech Moshpit).  Nowdays, over a hundred years later, the instant win condition is long gone, and really I don't think anyone really knows what to do or to expect when a Clan becomes ilClan.  It's now become a case of

"Now what?"
"I do not know, no one ever thought we would get this far."

And obviously i'm just guessing here, I probably am utterly wrong, and its why I'm counting the days until the 2nd book :D
« Last Edit: 26 March 2019, 16:44:02 by marauder648 »

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #229 on: 26 March 2019, 16:55:32 »
Quote from XTRO RotS 3, page 17:
"ongoing probes by the DMI have revealed rumors of further construction at Quatre Belle."
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #230 on: 27 March 2019, 01:19:14 »
Quote from XTRO RotS 3, page 17:
"ongoing probes by the DMI have revealed rumors of further construction at Quatre Belle."

Oh yes! I forgot that :D  So yeah the Ravens are doing -something- we just dunno what that is. 

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #231 on: 27 March 2019, 11:15:34 »
It could be a Horse-drawn Buggy IIC manufacturing facility.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #232 on: 27 March 2019, 12:26:16 »
It could be a Horse-drawn Buggy IIC manufacturing facility.
With capital scale weapons!
Aw, wouldn't THAt be awesome!  :D

Frogfoot

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #233 on: 27 March 2019, 14:29:10 »
Losing half of your Touman in a berserker's wild goose chase after the Not-Named is hardly perfect.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #234 on: 11 April 2019, 11:18:55 »
Hello ravens,

After re reading FM crusader clans ( man those books were great!) in the blood spirit section their snow raven ilchi or ambassador wants to pursue a mutually beneficial alliance or partnership but is hazy on the details.

Now before and after the Burrock absorption the ravens and spirits assisted one another but if the spirits had not wasted so much of their strength by jumping into the absorption and had instead  went to the ravens to plot out how to contain or weaken the adders who would have been flush with new strength what would that look like?

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #235 on: 12 April 2019, 15:20:28 »
Raven pragmatism would have prevented them from antagonizing the Adders. Maybe, they could have gotten the Spirits to take a step back.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #236 on: 12 April 2019, 16:54:12 »
Raven pragmatism would have prevented them from antagonizing the Adders. Maybe, they could have gotten the Spirits to take a step back.

But raven pragmatism ( which I dig) also made them realize what a threat the adders would become

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #237 on: 13 April 2019, 06:05:36 »
Which would be an even greater incentive to ally with the Adders.

Elcor05

• Sergeant
« Reply #238 on: 29 May 2019, 22:43:47 »
Has anyone ever used Protomechs in space battles? What's been good, and what has been better on the ground (like Hippogriffs in their fluff.) I'm honestly a little surprised there aren't any dedicated space Protomechs made, although if the Hippo ever gets a variant a space version would make sense.
"Meekness: Uncommon patience in planning a revenge that is worth while." - Ambrose Bierce

Kallor

• Corporal
« Reply #239 on: 08 June 2019, 00:16:26 »
I have always been unclear on why, a clan that focuses on aerofighters and can usually gain air superiority, would focus their ground units to combat enemy air support? An example of this is the Kodiak 3 with its double LBX-20s, "tied to the Ravens innate aerospace bias"

I could understand the Vipers or the Coyotes employing this since they fight aerospace dominate clans.

Register