Author Topic: Raven Alliance: The Shiny Red Button of Orbital Doom  (Read 124805 times)

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: Raven Alliance: The Shiny Red Button of Orbital Doom
« Reply #240 on: 08 June 2019, 08:56:50 »
I have always been unclear on why, a clan that focuses on aerofighters and can usually gain air superiority, would focus their ground units to combat enemy air support? An example of this is the Kodiak 3 with its double LBX-20s, "tied to the Ravens innate aerospace bias"

I could understand the Vipers or the Coyotes employing this since they fight aerospace dominate clans.

Internal Trials maybe.  Those are more likely than Trials with other clans

Kallor

• Corporal
« Reply #241 on: 08 June 2019, 19:30:40 »
The simplest explanation is usually right. Thank you.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #242 on: 08 June 2019, 20:20:32 »
There could also be the thought of "We know how damaging it can be if ground forces are ever caught without aerospace cover, so just in case the aerospace fighters are off doing something else, here's an idea to make sure the ground forces aren't completely screwed."

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #243 on: 08 June 2019, 20:34:04 »
Maybe they just like making cockpit salsa?
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Kallor

• Corporal
« Reply #244 on: 08 June 2019, 22:31:59 »
Haha thanks Foxx!

That does make sense, just seems a low chance given the sheer numbers the Ravens have.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #245 on: 09 June 2019, 14:20:25 »
Another good reason could be they can only produce so much, so they trade/buy from the Ghost Bears.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #246 on: 09 June 2019, 15:51:51 »
There could also be the thought of "We know how damaging it can be if ground forces are ever caught without aerospace cover, so just in case the aerospace fighters are off doing something else, here's an idea to make sure the ground forces aren't completely screwed."
I like this explanation equally well. Also, leaving anti-air capability with your ground forces frees up Raven fighters to strafe enemy formations.

Kallor

• Corporal
« Reply #247 on: 10 June 2019, 14:30:14 »
On the surface that sounds reasonable, except that Raven second line clusters are made up of Triads and that gives the average cluster 50 fighters as opposed to 30. The only time they would lose air superiority is if they fought one of their own Stoops clusters or a Cobra equivalent. (I cant remember their specific name) Where they have 2 Trinary of fighter. Even if you give the Raven second line cluster an R-Team, that is still 4 Triads: 40 fighters.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #248 on: 11 June 2019, 13:49:30 »

On the very last page of TRO3150, there’s an NTNU entry for the Ravens’ new Gorgon 5 Protomech variant.  Supposedly has Streaks (LRM or SRM unspecified) and MagClamps (for mechanization).

I don’t think the RS has been printed, but thought I’d doublecheck here and make sure no one has the official stats.

Any help much appreciated.  Thx.

"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #249 on: 11 June 2019, 14:11:51 »
On the surface that sounds reasonable, except that Raven second line clusters are made up of Triads and that gives the average cluster 50 fighters as opposed to 30. The only time they would lose air superiority is if they fought one of their own Stoops clusters or a Cobra equivalent. (I cant remember their specific name) Where they have 2 Trinary of fighter. Even if you give the Raven second line cluster an R-Team, that is still 4 Triads: 40 fighters.
Bear in mind that the Ravens most frequent opponent is the DCMS, which is notable for being aerospace-heavy.

Crackerb0x

• CamoSpecs
  • Master Sergeant
  • Alpha Strike Apologist
« Reply #250 on: 28 June 2019, 16:06:35 »
Ho, Snow Raven.

As my current green-feathered Khan to be a frothing lunatic that is attempting to depopulate every other planet she conquers and I'm wanting to use protos while staying relevant in the timeline, I've been considering trying to become a bondsman of the Raven Alliance.

Are there really only three galaxies left to the RA Touman (Alpha, Gamma, and Delta)? Are there other provisional or perhaps not as well known units that are part of the military?

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #251 on: 30 June 2019, 15:17:32 »
Don’t forget Beta galaxy. All of this assumes the Ravens have been truthful about their troop strength. Remember all the troops the WOB pulled out of hiding at the dawn of the Jihad.  >:D

Elcor05

• Sergeant
« Reply #252 on: 30 June 2019, 21:48:58 »
There's also the AMC Militia. Lots of clan cast offs for ASF, and other stuff.
"Meekness: Uncommon patience in planning a revenge that is worth while." - Ambrose Bierce

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #253 on: 05 July 2019, 14:36:49 »
On the very last page of TRO3150, there’s an NTNU entry for the Ravens’ new Gorgon 5 Protomech variant.  Supposedly has Streaks (LRM or SRM unspecified) and MagClamps (for mechanization).

I don’t think the RS has been printed, but thought I’d doublecheck here and make sure no one has the official stats.

Any help much appreciated.  Thx.

Well given that the base Gorgon has about 3.5 tons of space, minus 500kg for the mag clamp, the Gorgon 5 could conceivably mount a Streak LRM 6(12) or a Streak SRM 5(10), assuming minimal armor changes. It would necessarily have to mount the missiles in a main gun, they weigh more than 2000kg
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #254 on: 21 July 2019, 22:16:30 »
Hail, Snow Raven thread.  I've decided to paint all of my Kickstarer rewards as Clan Snow Raven's Epsilon Galaxy.  I'm currently in as a Bloodnamed, but may upgrade to Star Colonel after GenCon.  Does the following sound at all like a Snow Raven-y Cluster?

Dire Wolf, Executioner, Gladiator, Warhawk, Nova Cat (all slower than 5/8 base)

Timber Wolf, Summoner, Mad Dog, Hellbringer, Gargoyle (all 5/8)

Adder, Stormcrow, Kit Fox, Cougar, Battle Cobra (no jump, Medium or lower, 6/9 except the Cougar)

Grendel, Mist Lynx, Viper, Black Lanner, Shadow Cat (FAST!  6/9 with MASC or faster)

Fire Falcon, Arctic Cheetah, Ice Ferret, Fire Moth, Hellion (VERY FAST! 8/12 or faster)

5 Points Elementals

2 Points Elementals; 3 points Protomechs

5 points Protomechs

6x Visigoth, 2x Turk, 2x Sabutai

I know the Fire Falcon, Black Lanner, and Cougar are primarily Falcon designs, but the rest of the Star packs have equally not-Raven 'Mechs (Kodiak, Turkina) or have non-Omnis in them.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #255 on: 22 July 2019, 00:47:20 »

Dire Wolf
Gargoyle
Hellbringer
Grendel
Battle Cobra
Hellion

These depend on the era.  They are on the Raven MUL during the Clan Invasion.  They’re gone by the Dark Age.

Arctic Cheetah
Fire Falcon
Cougar
Ice Ferret
Black Lanner

Viper

These never appear on a Raven MUL.  Too Falcony or Wolfish or Hellionic, apparently.  I’d make an exception for the Viper as it’s an allied Bear design and appears on the Clan General MULs during the Clan Invasion era.

Executioner, Gladiator,

These are the same thing.  It’s a Bear design and the Ravens are their allies.  Present thru the Dark Age and it’s the Ravens’ heaviest Omni by then.

Stormcrow,

This is the classic Raven Omni, as they refined the original Horse design after Tokasha and apparently still produce it in the Dark Age.  It’s arguably the second best Clan Omni.  I’d double and triple down on it and make it the core of a frontline Raven unit.

Kodiak

The Ravens have their own variant, the Kodiak 3, apparently from trade with the allied Bears.

The uniquely Raven mechs are the Dark Crow, Omen, and Deimos.  If playing a later era, you could pick these up for flavor.  The Deimos in particular has some pretty nasty configs.

If I didn’t mention it above, then the mechs from your post (Timberwolf, Summoner, Mad Dog, Adder, Mist Lynx, Shadow Cat, etc.) are present in the Raven MULs during both the Clan Invasion and Dark Age.

Hope this helps.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #256 on: 22 July 2019, 05:29:55 »
Scotty,
Be advised that Epsilon never made it out of the clan homeworlds.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #257 on: 22 July 2019, 08:49:20 »
That's fine. I'm not about to leave them on a shelf just because such and such fight never "really" happened.

I'm not sure what I missed when I typed Gladiator; each Omni here is from the Clan Box and Star packs.  I will not be augmenting it with metal.  Ultimately I think I'm okay with 80% on the MUL.  I like the scheme too much. :D
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #258 on: 23 July 2019, 06:15:28 »
That's a pretty high fraction of omnis for a second line galaxy, but then again, Ravens have a run a high percentage of Omnis anyway.

Honestly, I would double or triple up on the following: Kit Fox, Nova, Stormcrow, Mad Dog, Timberwolf as these are probably the most common Raven omnis. Raven ground forces have a "generic but faster than 5/8" flavor dominated by 3050 designs. If it's a second line cluster I would sprinkle in a bit more Shadowhawk IIC, Hunchback IIC, Clint IIC, Warhammer IIC

Barring Zeta Galaxy (dearly departed  :'( ) Protomech formations seem to be entirely adhoc, so don't count them towards the typical Triad, instead they're tacked on extra
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #259 on: 20 September 2019, 07:33:31 »
What would everyone's ideal naval star consist of?

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #260 on: 20 September 2019, 17:52:12 »
Nightlord, McKenna or Texas, Potempkin, and probably a pair of Lola-III or Aegis’s to round it out.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #261 on: 21 September 2019, 16:28:36 »
Four Leviathans and a Potempkin. :D
Granted, it would be a bit expensive.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #262 on: 21 September 2019, 16:45:32 »
Three Yorks and a Conqueror with a Liberator backup.

Allows me to transport 14 droppers and a @#%$#!!! full of ASF to a combat zone and escape out if it gets to heavy!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #263 on: 21 September 2019, 18:46:43 »
How could I forget the Leviathan! *head desk repeatedly*

Leviathan III, Nightlord, Potempkin, and at that point McKenna and Texas. I’d probably still want to add a couple of Lola III’s or Aegis’s for support but if not the Droppers and ASF would serve: you have enough of them.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #264 on: 22 September 2019, 13:43:25 »
Four Leviathans and a Potempkin. :D
Granted, it would be a bit expensive.

I don't want to imagine trying to feed all those aero pilots.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #265 on: 22 September 2019, 14:38:51 »

A perfect reason for the Clans to develop Soylent Green ;)
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #266 on: 22 September 2019, 15:14:58 »
Three Yorks and a Conqueror with a Liberator backup.

Allows me to transport 14 droppers and a @#%$#!!! full of ASF to a combat zone and escape out if it gets to heavy!

TT

I forgot I even have a full Cluster of Clan Space Marines... all 1,200 + Troopers! With Elemental BA support...

( 20 Troopers per Point x 5 per Star x 3 per Trinary x 4ish... ( average is 3-5 Trinaries per Cluster ))

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #267 on: 22 September 2019, 15:16:37 »
We all know that the only things those pilots will need is booze and men/women of negotiable virtue. Food is secondary.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #268 on: 22 September 2019, 15:18:50 »
Naw, that's an Impero thing... booze. But they call it a Necrosa!, it's highly addicting from what I've heard, quiaff?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #269 on: 22 September 2019, 21:17:19 »
A perfect reason for the Clans to develop Soylent Green ;)

Did you get a bloodname? No!! Then your giftake is going to a different program!

Register