Author Topic: Non-mech info and recommendation request  (Read 2394 times)

DakotaYoda

• Recruit
Non-mech info and recommendation request
« on: 14 June 2023, 15:44:44 »
Howdy - more or less brand new to BT and Alpha Strike, in particular.

I have the AS starter box set and Commander's Edition book. Are there any other specific resources that are especially helpful for implementing infantry, tanks, etc. in Alpha Strike? Books, websites, posts, etc.. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for - just doing my best to ensure we have all the info that's available.

No immediate plans to incorporate non-mech units, but we'll get there eventually I'm sure.

Thanks in advance, and pleased to be part of the community.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
Re: Non-mech info and recommendation request
« Reply #1 on: 14 June 2023, 16:42:20 »
The Master Unit List (http://www.masterunitlist.info/). It is listed at the heading of the forum under "MUL". It lists all units in the game.

Sarna.net. The battletech wiki. great to dive into the background.

I would recommend those 2 especially.

DakotaYoda

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 15 June 2023, 07:26:56 »
Roger that. Have been checking out both of those sites. Anything, in terms of published content, that addresses anything special about how non-mechs function? Special attacks, maneuvers, etc.? If no, I think we're fairly well set. Thanks!

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #3 on: 15 June 2023, 08:32:06 »
Alpha Strike: Commander Edition will cover all unit types and their corresponding movement modes, attributes, vehicle specials, etc.

If you're looking for fluff, and a selection of good beginner-friendly chassis, TRO 3039 covers most of your common combat vehicles, fighters, et cetera across most eras. Some additional staple fighters can be found in TRO 3075. Clanners will want to check TROs 3055 and 3067 for their fighters, and TRO 3060 for vehicles. General infantry is more of a DIY thing (just make it easy on yourself and pull the stats for generic platoons from the MUL), but TRO 3085 and its Supplemental offers a charcuterie of specialized infantry units, and paired with 3075 offers a good batch of later-era chassis and variants for dipping into the Jihad and beyond.

As for miniatures, currently the only non-'Mech minis available for retail are Elemental Battle Armor points, and Shilone aerospace fighters. However, the Mercenaries KS brings the Visigoth aerospace fighter, Inner Sphere Standard Battle Armor, and a glut of combat vehicles of all shapes and sizes. You can wait for them to hit retail next year, or you can get them a few months early if you sign on as a late backer through BackerKit.
« Last Edit: 15 June 2023, 15:17:21 by pokefan548 »
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

DakotaYoda

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 15 June 2023, 14:37:13 »
Ah, yes. The TRO's. I've seen a number of references to these but there were so many I hadn't waded in yet. Your specific citations are much appreciated. I'll track those down.

I'll probably wait for the merc minis to become available as I have a fair number of MicroArmor units that will suffice if/when we need them I think.

Still deciding on what timeframe to set our game in. Planning to use Mechwarrior:Destiny for RPG and Alpha Strike for combat. Have seen that implementation played a bit and it really appealed to me. I'm an RPG nerd by default but have done my fair share of wargaming and enjoy it. Hopefully this is a nice balance.

Thanks @pokefan548!

pokefan548

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 15 June 2023, 15:21:09 »
Ah, yes. The TRO's. I've seen a number of references to these but there were so many I hadn't waded in yet. Your specific citations are much appreciated. I'll track those down.

I'll probably wait for the merc minis to become available as I have a fair number of MicroArmor units that will suffice if/when we need them I think.

Still deciding on what timeframe to set our game in. Planning to use Mechwarrior:Destiny for RPG and Alpha Strike for combat. Have seen that implementation played a bit and it really appealed to me. I'm an RPG nerd by default but have done my fair share of wargaming and enjoy it. Hopefully this is a nice balance.

Thanks @pokefan548!
Destiny and AS pair well. If you don't want to completely handwave 'Mech maintenance, I might recommend pulling aspects from the Chaos Campaign system to handle resources for buying and maintaining units, fuel and food to get from place to place, and so on. Some tweaking will be required as Chaos Campaigns were built for Classic/Total Warfare play, but for the most part adapting it to a Destiny + AS campaign shouldn't be too difficult.
Poke's Aerospace Academy

"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #6 on: 15 June 2023, 16:34:12 »
Destiny and AS pair well. If you don't want to completely handwave 'Mech maintenance, I might recommend pulling aspects from the Chaos Campaign system to handle resources for buying and maintaining units, fuel and food to get from place to place, and so on. Some tweaking will be required as Chaos Campaigns were built for Classic/Total Warfare play, but for the most part adapting it to a Destiny + AS campaign shouldn't be too difficult.
iirc there is an AS version of the chaos campaign rule-set in the older Alpha Strike Companion book.

pokefan548

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 15 June 2023, 17:25:18 »
iirc there is an AS version of the chaos campaign rule-set in the older Alpha Strike Companion book.
Gotta love the all-in-one Commander's Edition!

Still waiting for the conversion rules PDF the book promised. Four years and counting!
Poke's Aerospace Academy

DakotaYoda

• Recruit
« Reply #8 on: 19 June 2023, 14:07:08 »

Ahh. Excellent info. Much appreciate the details! I definitely want some overhead and maintenance stuff for the party to deal with. Possibly mech upgrades or tweaks as well. Also need to get a handle on battle XP to CBills, or similar, conversion but I think that might actually be documented - just need to find it again.

Very much appreciate all the tips!

DakotaYoda

• Recruit
« Reply #9 on: 19 June 2023, 14:18:23 »
Gotta love the all-in-one Commander's Edition!

Still waiting for the conversion rules PDF the book promised. Four years and counting!

So - does the newer Commanders Edition include stuff from the older BattleTech Alpha Strike Companion? Specifically interested in what glitterboy is referring to.

pokefan548

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 19 June 2023, 14:54:26 »
Ahh. Excellent info. Much appreciate the details! I definitely want some overhead and maintenance stuff for the party to deal with. Possibly mech upgrades or tweaks as well. Also need to get a handle on battle XP to CBills, or similar, conversion but I think that might actually be documented - just need to find it again.

Very much appreciate all the tips!
The Chaos Campaign system uses Warchest Points (WP) and, optionally, Support Points (SP), the latter of which can be converted to C-Bills at a 1:10,000 ratio.
So - does the newer Commanders Edition include stuff from the older BattleTech Alpha Strike Companion? Specifically interested in what glitterboy is referring to.
Most of the Companion rules made it in, but things like Alpha Strike-specific Chaos Campaign rules, non-abstract aerospace, the unit conversion rules, and a few others did not. In some cases, it was because the devs weren't happy with the implementation in Companion, in others it seems to have just been a bad idea.
Poke's Aerospace Academy

DakotaYoda

• Recruit
« Reply #11 on: 19 June 2023, 16:14:36 »
The Chaos Campaign system uses Warchest Points (WP) and, optionally, Support Points (SP), the latter of which can be converted to C-Bills at a 1:10,000 ratio.Most of the Companion rules made it in, but things like Alpha Strike-specific Chaos Campaign rules, non-abstract aerospace, the unit conversion rules, and a few others did not. In some cases, it was because the devs weren't happy with the implementation in Companion, in others it seems to have just been a bad idea.

Lovely. You're a gent and scholar. Much appreciate the details!

IroncladChemist

• Recruit
  • CGR-1A1 afficionado
« Reply #12 on: 31 August 2023, 02:31:42 »
Another thing that can help later down the line is MegaMekLab, in particular the search function it offers. (it also allows you to play Classic BattleTech)
You can get it at   https://www.megamek.org/
It lets you search for units based on stats, rather than by name like on the Master Unit List.
Can be quite usefull if you know what you want a unit to be capable off, and want to find a unit that can do that.
Want to find a unit that does 2 damage at medium range, is size 2 and has 12" move? MegaMekLab will let you search that way.
Don't let your memes be dreams