Author Topic: TMM for dismounting units  (Read 1749 times)

Burzmali

• Private
TMM for dismounting units
« on: 05 September 2023, 14:03:33 »
Reading through the 6th printing, the changes to mounting and dismounting were sorely needed, but the rules no longer specify the TMM of the dismounting units. In prior printings, infantry had no MV coming out of transports leaving them at TMM 0, but now they get half their movement, and mech and vehicles dismounting could have substantial MV.

What is the TMM of a dismounting unit?

If a jump unit dismounts from a VTOL, do they get both the Jumping unit and airborne modifiers?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: TMM for dismounting units
« Reply #1 on: 05 September 2023, 15:23:36 »
You don't ever get both jumping and airborne.  Jumping requires landing at the end of the jump, airborne requires not being on the ground at the end of your movement.  Jumping requires using the jump movement mode, the jump movement mode can't make you airborne.

1. Jumping from an omni.  You get the infantry's TMM, plus the jumping modifier.
2. Dismounting from an airborne VTOL.  you need jump jets (or paratrooper), and you get the airborne modifier. But you don't actually move when dismounting from an airborne VTOL (base-to-base contact with where the base would be on the ground), and therefore don't use jump movement.  It's just the TMM and you get the airborne modifier.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Burzmali

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 05 September 2023, 15:47:12 »
Thank you, I was trying to reconcile this
Dismounting units cannot use standstill, hull down or sprinting movement modes, and can only use jump movement mode from an airborne transport or if mechanized (see below) .  (Snip)
Units dismounting from an airborne transport receive the airborne target modifier the turn they dismount .

That implied that the unit had both used jump movement (even if they just ended up adjacent to the transport) and got an additional airborne target modifier.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 05 September 2023, 16:52:26 »
Thank you, I was trying to reconcile this
That implied that the unit had both used jump movement (even if they just ended up adjacent to the transport) and got an additional airborne target modifier.

Ah, understood.  I will look to clean that up next time.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #4 on: 05 September 2023, 17:09:07 »
So,

- Jumping from an omni: Infantry TMM + jump modifier (+1). Can move up to half its movement value.

- Jumping (or PAR) from an airborne VTOL: airborne modifier. TMM 0. Remain in base to base contact with the VTOL. So a total of +1 to being hit. (I assume it is the VTOL airbone modifier)

- Dismounting from a land vehicle: Can move up to half movement, so normal Infantry TMM.

Is this?

Burzmali

• Private
« Reply #5 on: 06 September 2023, 06:19:08 »
I think they still get their TMM if they jump from a VTOL, just not their jump movement modifier.

Register