Author Topic: Captain Zippy's Urbanmech Cavalry  (Read 54841 times)

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
Captain Zippy's Urbanmech Cavalry
« on: 03 February 2011, 09:37:40 »
Captain Skip "Zippy" Latermore created this unit..pretty much because it was what he had available.
In the waning days of 3058, Captain Zippy was on Outreach, trying to recruit for a new mercenary company.
His goal was to get it prepared for the expiration of the Clan Truce in 7 years. Unfortunately for him, all he
was able to find who were willing to sign on with him was a couple of UrbanMech pilots, presumable because
his own 'mech was an old, and "much loved" UM-60. So, his core of him, and 3 fellow Urbanmech pilots and
a old Leopard(the "Galloping Ghost") left Outreach on a raid contract for the Combine. The mission was, actually,
to guard the dropship of the unit actually doing the raiding. During the raid, however, their dropship captain, who
had kept the dropship warmed up in case they needed to do a hot evac, called Zippy and let him know the Dracs were
getting kinda over-run. Captain Zippy then made the fateful choice, and gave the order to board the dropship and...
do a combat drop on the Drac's position to rescue them. Probably the only reason anyone went along with this was because
they were fighting Jaguars, and, well...survival was not that likely, either way.

The Jaguars were caught by surprise, not by the arrival of reinforcements, but by the 'mechs that were dropping in. They
were used to seeing Urbanmechs die like little burning trashcans, or being blown apart running away. Seeing a lance execute
a combat drop, and attack caused momenetary confusion in the Jaguar ranks....and a smoking hole from the Lance Second's UM-60L's
AC/20 to appear over the reactor of Cauldron Born. The brief pause in the actions of the Jags allowed the combine forces to get their
heads on straight, and drive into the Jaguar forces, the hammer of the Samurai against the Anvil of....the Urbanmechs. While their contract
did not allow for 'mech salvage, the Kurita commander, in the remains of the Jaguar forces found a 'mech, most likely piloted by a Solahma,
and gave it to Captain Zippy...the UrbanMech IIC that Zippy pilots to this day.

Out of grattitude, the Combine gave the now named "Urbanmech Cavalry", with its unit emblem of an Urbanmech wearing a cavalry hat and
a yellow ribbon, a long term contract, and precious salvage rights. Over the course of the next couple years leading up to Bulldog, the
Urbanmech Cavalry grew to a company plus Captain Zippy in size. The standard practice became an UM-60L in every lance, and, at this time,
it was 2 lances of UM-60s, and one lance of UM-R63. Captain Zippy negotiated all his salvage from one mission for a trade in to his second
owned dropship, a Broadsword named "Siouxsie Sioux," complete with very non-politically correct "nose art."

As they went into Bulldog, the UrbanMech Cavalry distinguished itself with several daring combat drops into close, confined areas. In one instance, Jaguar forces went into a canyon area to get theading towards their dropships....not a single Jaguar came out, but a few hours later,
a baker's dozen of really bad looking UrbanMechs did...with Captain Zippy listing off the salvage locations. At the end of Bulldog, while they
were not tasked with going to Homeworlds, the Cavalry was given time for R&R.

In the intervening years, they took mostly garrison contracts, easy money, with occasional pirate hunting jobs. They gained a reputation
as a solid, professional unit, and as absolute madmen. Coming into the Jihad, they laid low like many merc units, but managed to get
themselves hired as contributing units in Operation SCOUR. As payment, they accepted a big upgrade: their own Hamilcar Dropship, the
"Babylonian Lady of Ill Repute". This allowed them to completely modernize their force, and add in a 4th, support lance of Urbamechs. As
of 3079, their force consists of the following:

Captain Zippy: Urbanmech IIC

Red Lance
1 UM-60L
3 UM-R63

White Lance
1 UM-60L
3 UM-68 (MRM 30 Urbie)

Blue Lance
1 UM-60L
3 UM-70 (RAC/5 Urbanmech)

Polka Dot Lance(Yes, they really ARE painted with Polka Dots)
4 Urbanmech UM-AIV

Captain Zippy and White Lance deploy in "Siouxsie Sioux"
Red Lance deploys in "The Galloping Ghost"
Blue Lance and Polka Dot Lance deploy in "The Babylonian Lady of Ill Repute"
« Last Edit: 04 February 2011, 13:27:32 by StCptMara »
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

MechRat

• Corporal
  • Knightmare's Evil Minion on OBT.com
    • OurBattleTech - A place for AU's to call home
Re: Captain Zippy's Urbanmech Cavalry
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2011, 11:06:36 »
I absolutely love this unit! [rockon] Nicely done! Now I have to go and look up the different Urbie variants...

Thanks for sharing!

Hawkeye Jim

• Captain
  • I'm small but sneaky
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2011, 11:15:44 »
Interesting unit. You might edit out that reference to confusion in the Adder ranks, since they were fighting the Jaguars at the time.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 04 February 2011, 01:59:47 »
Dropping beer kegs onto the Jaguars. YES [rockon]
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 04 February 2011, 13:30:36 »
Interesting unit. You might edit out that reference to confusion in the Adder ranks, since they were fighting the Jaguars at the time.

Ooops...Fixed. Thank you for catching it.

Admittedly, the unit got its start as a response to an old "Chinese Curse" my first group would use:
May your cavalry consist entirely of UrbanMechs.

Of course, we all know from the old westerns that The Cavalry always arrived "Just in the Nick of Time"(tm)...so...
One of the challenges was thinking how the unit would actually be viable..so, they use all Aerodyne dropships so they
can do combat drops.(This makes me believe that they probably have some of the best Piloting Scores one would see
among UrbanMech pilots...)

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
« Reply #5 on: 04 February 2011, 14:46:22 »
Plenty of flavor in this unit; I love it!

OverKill

• Lieutenant
  • Marauder MAD-3D "Guan-Yu"
« Reply #6 on: 04 February 2011, 15:39:01 »
(furiously flipping through pages)

My god in heaven... I'm going to have to write things down to see the differences... ewwww hardcopy!!!!

I think this is a pretty cool unit for specialized combat for sure.
Colonel Mason Grimm
Grimm Reaper Company (Grimm's Reapers)
Piloting: Marauder MAD-3D - Guan-Yu
We are the things you see out of the corner of your eye!

tju1973

• Private
« Reply #7 on: 04 February 2011, 15:51:30 »
Heck yes! This gives me inspiration-- I have 8 Urbies, 2 Hunchbacks a couple of Assassins a Firestarter and a King Crab that I may now group into a Streetfighter unit...Love the Urbies..

+1!
« Last Edit: 04 February 2011, 15:54:24 by tju1973 »

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #8 on: 04 February 2011, 17:14:42 »
HELL

YES!

[rockon]
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #9 on: 04 February 2011, 17:38:55 »
Pure freaking awesomeness. I love it.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Hawkeye Jim

• Captain
  • I'm small but sneaky
« Reply #10 on: 04 February 2011, 17:50:13 »
A mixed unit of Hunchbacks and Urbies as an urban defense force.......that has possibilities....

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 04 February 2011, 18:43:43 »
And a KGC. }:)

Great stuff SCM.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 05 February 2011, 22:09:45 »
And a KGC. }:)

Great stuff SCM.

No KGC...All Urbies, all the time....
I should point out that you can all thank The Pope for Polka Dot Lance...Without the canonization of the Arrow IV Urbie,
that Lance would not exist.

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 05 February 2011, 23:35:48 »
where is the stats for an urban mech with an arrow 4 lancher?
neat unit and i have to say that the drugs to strt this where great...very funny.....

Rim Worlder

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 06 February 2011, 00:07:25 »
great read.

reminds me of some fan stories from a few years back about P.U.B.   Palerider's Urbanmech Brigade.  they were hilarious.  Urbanmech LAM, Urbanmechs fired AS artillery.  All good stuff.  [rockon]
Star League - Egotistical, Mass Murdering Butchers from start to finish.

"Star League caches and Clan-Tech salvage, You're welcome"  - Stefan Amaris

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #15 on: 06 February 2011, 00:37:33 »
Urbanmechs:  When you absolutlely, must, waddle to victory.  Or be piloted N-gauss rounds.   }:)
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 06 February 2011, 01:21:26 »
where is the stats for an urban mech with an arrow 4 lancher?
neat unit and i have to say that the drugs to strt this where great...very funny.....

RS3085 Unabridged; Old is the New New for the stats.

And, there were no drugs, nor even alcohol involved...I think, though, the original idea
came on a night where I had not gotten much sleep.

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #17 on: 08 February 2011, 13:43:09 »
Interesting unit.
It a nice premise.

Any pictures of the unit in action?

Cidwm

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 08 February 2011, 14:27:14 »
lol

awesome idea for a unit. :D

ItsTehPope

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 08 February 2011, 14:48:46 »
I approve of this unit.
If you actually care to listen to my thoughts outside of Battletech, find me at www.uselessblot.com

(4:37:55 PM) moonsword134: You're a bastard.
(4:38:11 PM) moonsword134: And so's the talking whiskey monkey who lives in bottles of tequila to give you ideas.

(4:52:52 PM) ShinjoJinturi: simply by having tag on the field, even in a game that appears to not have any lrms or arrows on the board, you can inspire fear

sandstorm

• Lieutenant
  • Slayers Clear the Way
« Reply #20 on: 11 February 2011, 06:29:39 »
You know.... The hot-drop into Jaguars in a lance of OLD Urbies... That... How THe HECK do those original guys get out of their 'Mechs, they must be able to brag to Tanukis about their cast unobtainium balls of absolute win...
Ex Dubio, Obscura
--------------------
"Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it."

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 11 February 2011, 13:41:45 »
You know.... The hot-drop into Jaguars in a lance of OLD Urbies... That... How THe HECK do those original guys get out of their 'Mechs, they must be able to brag to Tanukis about their cast unobtainium balls of absolute win...

When your choice is:"Maybe die now or definitely die later"...the choice is easy to make. Besides which, I figure that the Urbies attacking
would confuse the Jaguars as much as two Bradleys attacking apparently confused some Iraqi T-72 drivers in Desert Storm(according to
the Military Channel). In battle, a moments confusion in their enemy is all it takes for a force to rally, and, you can kind of think the Jags
were momentarily confused because....Why the hell would UrbanMechs *ATTACK*? Did they know something the Jaguars didn't? Giving the
Combine forces the Urbies were rescuing just a moment to catch their breath by the Jaguar's confusion would be enough to turn the tide.
It was a gamble, sure..but, hey.."Do you wanna live forever?"

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 11 February 2011, 19:01:02 »
If your an Urbie pilot enjoy the sensation of confusing Jaguars whilst you can.
It's not often you have so much fun. }:)
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

sandstorm

• Lieutenant
  • Slayers Clear the Way
« Reply #23 on: 12 February 2011, 07:49:42 »
I still find the idea that the Urbie lance hot-dropping was due to their cast unobtainium balls making the Mechs weight too much for the Leopard to hold them more fun. :D

We need more units who take something, stick with it and add juts enough crazy to go and blow the mind away. And Urbie assault cavalry is just that. If all we had was chess-playing mega-regiments, we migth as well do away with the mechs and go for nuclear bombardment from orbit all the time.
Ex Dubio, Obscura
--------------------
"Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it."

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #24 on: 17 February 2011, 03:18:54 »
Dear StCptMara,
                       I took out your stuff. I may have broken some of it.(A lot) Just working out the repair bill to see what I owe you.
They did win thou Which was a pleasant surprise.
            Regards Mark Hall.

So last night we had a silly game before we get back into our Dragoon Game.
The CZUC Attempted to Hinder Liao forces in a Republic push on Ningpo.
A few mistakes where made. But a fun time was had for the most part.

Shall do a proper report after I make some adjustments to photos.
Thanks for letting me play in your sandbox.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 22 February 2011, 02:47:35 »
*waits with much anticipation to see the AAR*

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #26 on: 22 February 2011, 13:56:28 »

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #27 on: 28 February 2011, 19:26:35 »
Mara, that's the single most awesome, hilarious thing ive read on the boards to date.  ;D

that should be canon somehow, if only because the odds that hasn't happend somewhere, somehow in the long, battered history of the Urbie seems far fetched.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 28 February 2011, 20:13:49 »
Mara, that's the single most awesome, hilarious thing ive read on the boards to date.  ;D

that should be canon somehow, if only because the odds that hasn't happend somewhere, somehow in the long, battered history of the Urbie seems far fetched.

The old Liao Curse "May your cavalry be made of Urbanmechs" had to come from somewhere, right?  ;)

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 01 December 2011, 01:31:34 »
i just had to bring this back from the dead..its special.....

Register