Author Topic: New Merc Unit idea  (Read 1743 times)

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
New Merc Unit idea
« on: 05 September 2021, 13:42:44 »
The basic fact of life for mercenaries is they are businessmen. The business may be soldier-for-hire, but basically it comes down to a business. The question is has there ever been a mercenary unit that was run as an actual business. I don't mean, a company starting a mercenary unit for security and then renting them out for outside contracts, I mean an acutal mercenary unit where the founder is the CEO and the members are share holders. They do things like getting sponsors to place adds on the mechs, make commercials and other advertising. Maybe even sell stock in the unit. Would this even work?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: New Merc Unit idea
« Reply #1 on: 06 September 2021, 07:10:00 »
What you're describing sounds more like a Solaris VII stable, but I see no reason a merc unit couldn't do any of those side hustles.

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #2 on: 06 September 2021, 11:08:27 »
What you're describing sounds more like a Solaris VII stable, but I see no reason a merc unit couldn't do any of those side hustles.

That is the general reply I am getting on Facebook too. I wonder if it would work as a full-fledged mercenary unit.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #3 on: 06 September 2021, 11:12:44 »
Sounds like a cross between the Thumpers as originally noted in Mercenaries Supplemental I, and Greenburg's Godzillas in FM:Mercs.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 06 September 2021, 15:25:57 »
I remember that there was mention of a fashion line licenced/embraced/recommended by/featuring the 21st Centauri Lancers...
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 06 September 2021, 16:42:30 »
Heh... everybody licenses their image if they're popular enough...  ::)

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 06 September 2021, 17:22:36 »
more like - Cruise the clubs in this original 21Centauri dress uniform and be sure to impress the girls/boys!

At least now we know why it was so easy for the WoB to impersonate the Lancers when they invaded Terra ;D
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 06 September 2021, 23:27:27 »

SteinerDontSurf

• Recruit
« Reply #8 on: 07 September 2021, 05:27:05 »
There was a corporate owned Merc unit that was owned by a mech manufacturing company Blackstone industries. They were called the 'Black Stone Highlanders' who defended the mech factory from the 'Mercenaries Supplement' book. But these were organized as a typical Merc unit.

Register