Author Topic: World of Tanks: anyone still playing?  (Read 23240 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
World of Tanks: anyone still playing?
« on: 17 March 2016, 19:27:55 »
WoT just came out on PS4 (and, I presume XBox One), but there doesn't seem to be a currently active thread here- last one I could find was closed and from 2011.

Anyone else playing?  After some hard grinding, I've gotten up to a Panzer IV Ausf H, but man, the thing that sucks about running a Tier V tank is when you end up facing Tier VIIs.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Decoy

• Captain
Re: World of Tanks: anyone still playing?
« Reply #1 on: 17 March 2016, 19:36:04 »
I try to keep up to date. I sneak on and make sure my M10 still works and all ><

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #2 on: 17 March 2016, 20:21:35 »
active player on the PC side.  Not a fan of the Xbox version.

CLAN tag: SSS
usertag: Deathmaster98

38 tanks in the garage from T2 -> T10

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #3 on: 17 March 2016, 21:15:16 »
Still pop in once in a great while, emphasize on great.

Warclaw

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 17 March 2016, 21:18:20 »
Yep,

Using the handle Warclaw_Prime.  No clan affiliation.
I primarily drive tank destroyers on the Russian and German lines.  (Though I'm also starting to go for a KV-2 as soon as I have time.)

Oh, and the UE-57 is a LOT  of fun once you get it fully upgraded and train your crew skills!

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #5 on: 17 March 2016, 21:24:57 »
I don't play my KV-2 enough but I still want to stencil on the side "Bun Bun Destroyer of Worlds" because that 152mm is hilariously effective.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 17 March 2016, 21:40:50 »
Meh. I did better with the 107mm on my KV-2. ><

I still also use Plainsfox there.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #7 on: 17 March 2016, 22:57:58 »
I play on XBox One played on 360 before tier I-Tier VII do far verging on getting a Tiger II but planning on keeping my Tiger

I'm not too fond of a couple of the spawn location changes its messed up a couple of the maps but the variants are great

American Tank Destroyers and Heavy German, Soviet or American are my favourites although I am partial to shooting about with my T2 and T1EX or having fun with "Fury"
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 17 March 2016, 23:30:00 »
Unlocked the Matilda.  Fun tank but I absolutely cannot keep anything of Tier IV or higher alive.  And I absolutely cannot get on a team that wins when I'm playing it- seriously, I have zero wins after 4 hours of using it.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #9 on: 18 March 2016, 00:34:09 »
Meh. I did better with the 107mm on my KV-2. ><

I still also use Plainsfox there.

It does require a different play style to get the most out of that 152mm and there will be a lot of rough games with it but it does get kind of hilarious when things work out.  I use it because I also have a T-150 I keep around and that thing is one of my best performing tanks with the 107mm on it, so the only reason for me to keep my KV-2 around is the 152mm.

Unlocked the Matilda.  Fun tank but I absolutely cannot keep anything of Tier IV or higher alive.  And I absolutely cannot get on a team that wins when I'm playing it- seriously, I have zero wins after 4 hours of using it.

I know how that goes.  It often takes me a while before I find my groove and start doing even halfway well.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 18 March 2016, 00:54:25 »

Sometimes you get rubbish runs at it I personally struggled with the low tier British tanks so I swapped to American and German lines early on they seem easier to get into.  The higher tier British tanks do get better just takes lots of time
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

StoneRhino

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 18 March 2016, 02:09:22 »
I used to play on the PC. A few in my group still play it and keep bugging me to give it another shot. The game lost me with the T59 release. I also hate how a tank can sit still in the open and be invisible, yet it never seems to work for me when I try such. While one of those telling me to give it another go suggests that its all been fixed, I loathe the idea of a grind. If I want a grind to get the next unit, I'd play MWO instead since I don't have to worry about tiers and being dragged up to some level that I shouldn't be on with my tank. MWO, a direwolf running with a commando is going to find a fair game, not so with WoT. I end up playing Planetside 2 instead.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #12 on: 18 March 2016, 09:14:59 »
I play quite a bit on Xbox One.  I was trying to run up the British medium and heavy lines, but they're soooo. . .  uninspiring.  They just released the Lend Lease tanks for Britain, so right now I'm grinding my Sherman III to get to the Firefly and then I'm switching over to the American heavy lines because I want a T29.  I hate going against those with a Black Prince or Comet because their armor is so damn good.

For the Xbox folks, hit me up if you want to play, I've got tanks up to Tier 7 I can play.  Screen name is The Echo xALx.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #13 on: 18 March 2016, 10:28:25 »
I used to play on the PC. A few in my group still play it and keep bugging me to give it another shot. The game lost me with the T59 release. I also hate how a tank can sit still in the open and be invisible, yet it never seems to work for me when I try such. While one of those telling me to give it another go suggests that its all been fixed, I loathe the idea of a grind. If I want a grind to get the next unit, I'd play MWO instead since I don't have to worry about tiers and being dragged up to some level that I shouldn't be on with my tank. MWO, a direwolf running with a commando is going to find a fair game, not so with WoT. I end up playing Planetside 2 instead.
Camo net. Bushes and trees between you and enemy. Camo skill 100% on all of your crew. Though Camo net will not kick in until several seconds after you have stopped moving.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Wikkid

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #14 on: 18 March 2016, 10:35:59 »
I used to play a LOT but I haven't touched it for months. I didn't bother renewing my online gaming subscription.
Be Pure. Be Vigilant. Behave!

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #15 on: 18 March 2016, 11:29:39 »
I used to play a LOT but I haven't touched it for months. I didn't bother renewing my online gaming subscription.
what do you mean? WoT is free to play?
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 18 March 2016, 11:47:43 »
I haven't actually played for a couple months, I am currently playing SWTOR a bit.

I have a total of 64 tanks I believe.
M5 Stewart
Covenanter
M24 Chaffee
T-46
Crusader
M3 Stuart
Cruiser Mk. IV
Cruiser Mk. III
T-70
Pz.Kpfw. II
Pz.Kpfw. III Ausf. A
T1 Cunningham
M2 Light Tank
Vickers Mk. E Type B
T-26
T-60
Leichttraktor
MS-1
Renault NC-31
FCM 36
T1E6
Type 95 Ha-Go
Renault Otsu

medium
M4 Sherman
M7
M4A3E2 Sherman Jumbo
M2 medium
Ram II
T-28
Matilda
Vikers Medium MK3, Mk2, and Mk1

Heavies I have:
T1 heavy Tank
T29
M6
KV-1
T32
Churchill I
FV201 (A45)
Durchbruchwagen 2
14 tank destroyers
and 7 spg's

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 18 March 2016, 11:48:48 »
what do you mean? WoT is free to play?
its free to play, but if you pay you get premium time which gives more xp more silver and such

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #18 on: 18 March 2016, 12:09:49 »
its free to play, but if you pay you get premium time which gives more xp more silver and such
I know that but what does that have to do with "renewing" online subscription?

DisGruntled_kbd

• Corporal
« Reply #19 on: 18 March 2016, 15:30:33 »
I'm assuming he's talking about xbox live, but I might be mistaken.

I'm more into ships then tanks at the moment, but still dabble in both. Mainly when there's a good mission going.  Currently logging in this month for the  daily 5 free gold at the very least. ;)

Clan WWPD
kbd_disgruntled

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #20 on: 19 March 2016, 01:56:03 »
Holy crud, the Matilda is officially my favorite tank now.

Just played a capture the base mission on the South Coast map.  I got up against something like five tanks and TDs simultaneously and survived.  Even killed three of them myself.

Total awards for the mission:
Spray and Prey- damage 3 or more enemies and destroy 1 or more enemies
Thinning the Herd- destroy two or more enemies
High Caliber- inflict the most damage per battle
Shellproof- have total damage blocked by your armor exceed the HP of your vehicle and survive the battle
Sharpshooter- hit an enemy vehicle 10 times in a row without missing
Fighter- destroy four enemies in one battle
Fire for Effect- cause more damage to enemy vehicles than the HP total of your vehicle
Bruiser- damage enemy vehicles' modules or injure their crew members at least five times in a battle
Cool-Headed- survive at least 10 rickochets and non-penetrating hits in a row from enemy fire

Four enemies destroyed, 1225 damage dealt, 25(!) penetrating shots, 13 assists, 719 damage blocked.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #21 on: 19 March 2016, 10:33:58 »
Holy crud, the Matilda is officially my favorite tank now.

Just played a capture the base mission on the South Coast map.  I got up against something like five tanks and TDs simultaneously and survived.  Even killed three of them myself.

Total awards for the mission:
Spray and Prey- damage 3 or more enemies and destroy 1 or more enemies
Thinning the Herd- destroy two or more enemies
High Caliber- inflict the most damage per battle
Shellproof- have total damage blocked by your armor exceed the HP of your vehicle and survive the battle
Sharpshooter- hit an enemy vehicle 10 times in a row without missing
Fighter- destroy four enemies in one battle
Fire for Effect- cause more damage to enemy vehicles than the HP total of your vehicle
Bruiser- damage enemy vehicles' modules or injure their crew members at least five times in a battle
Cool-Headed- survive at least 10 rickochets and non-penetrating hits in a row from enemy fire

Four enemies destroyed, 1225 damage dealt, 25(!) penetrating shots, 13 assists, 719 damage blocked.
Sound like you're getting hang of the tank.  O0

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #22 on: 19 March 2016, 10:57:06 »
Yeah, I got my track shot off then realized that since I was facing a bunch of light tanks with little 20mm popgun autocannons, that was pretty much all they could do to me.  Then as soon as the slaughter was over, I glued my tank to the back of the building to avoid giving the sole remaining artillery unit on the other team a target.  There was another guy on my team, but he forgot to do that and got sniped.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 19 March 2016, 15:40:53 »
It's good when you have a game like that my favourite tactic if I've got a machine gun is get behind them shoot the rear armour then run.

If I've got a cannon its maintain the distance and keep them off the rear

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #24 on: 19 March 2016, 16:54:48 »
My wife and I still play.

The new physics has made some hilarious situations.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #25 on: 19 March 2016, 17:00:24 »
So what are some of the favorite vehicles?

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #26 on: 19 March 2016, 18:19:05 »
I tried to play it once on my PC didn't really do anything. Might try it again on the PS4 though

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 19 March 2016, 19:34:03 »

For me:
Tier 2 T-18 Tank destroyer
Tier 4 Stuart IV (American line)
Tier 5 KV-1 (now it's been downgraded), Churchill I is solid but lacks punch T1 Heavy is decent but high centre gravity not good better is the Wolverine tank destroyer with a turret AT-1 is solid armour wise but popgun armament and slow
Tier 6 KV-85, Tiger I, Jagpanzer VI (I think) 8.8 gun brutal, Hellcat (Wolverine with speed and no armour)
Tier 7 T29 better than anything smaller turret armour nigh unpenatratable
Tier 8 T32 successor of T29 awesome as long as its size doesn't get hit

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #28 on: 19 March 2016, 21:50:24 »

For me:

Jagdpanther
VK 2801
Japanese O-I Experimental
T-29
Tiger I
Pz III/IV
Covenanter

My wife loves arty. Any arty.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #29 on: 20 March 2016, 01:26:27 »
KV-2 with the 152mm, T-150, T-34(not T34 or T-34-85), BT-7, Luchs, the tier 2 Cruisers(the ones with the pom poms that don't automatically fire two rounds at a time), Matilda, Cromwell, T-32, Hellcat, Jackson, Easy 8, Jumbo Sherman, Chaffee, and M7 Medium ordering more by nationality than fondness.  I do have a mark of distinction on my Tiger but I think my T-150 still edges it out as my best tank stat wise.