Author Topic: World of Tanks: anyone still playing?  (Read 23239 times)

DisGruntled_kbd

• Corporal
Re: World of Tanks: anyone still playing?
« Reply #180 on: 28 July 2016, 21:57:29 »
er you must be talking console.  it's been replaced with the grille 15cm on pc for a while now.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #181 on: 12 August 2018, 13:42:47 »
Anyone ever looking to platoon on the PC?
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #182 on: 22 August 2018, 21:27:58 »
I last played Saturday the 19th.
sadly, I'm now TDY and my travel laptop cannot run Tanks.
or Battletech.
:(

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #183 on: 22 August 2018, 21:39:14 »
I quit playing almost a year ago now.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

MarauderCH IIC

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #184 on: 22 August 2018, 22:06:18 »
I haven't played since about November when my computer crashed. I haven't reinstalled it since I got my computer back up and running. I Used to play a lot of WOT.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #185 on: 22 August 2018, 22:50:28 »
I liked the story campaigns that were added but it's slipped down order of play significantly
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #186 on: 22 August 2018, 23:33:54 »
The story campaigns were interesting, but they really went overboard in preventing players from earning XP or silver.  Especially given that you usually get a tank that's in its base state and needs to be upgraded in order to be powerful enough to take on the boss fight.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
  • 1st Earl of the Bixby Duchy
« Reply #187 on: 23 August 2018, 08:32:04 »
They have story missions now...man its been a while.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #188 on: 23 August 2018, 08:58:40 »
been doing the XboxOne version for a bit now.. starting to regret going for the russian tanks. those early tiers are murder. (and my stockpiled silver and GXp from my dilliante playing years back on the 360 are now pretty much gone.. so i'm stuck grinding in a T-28.. ugh..)

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #189 on: 23 August 2018, 12:49:16 »
I've been on a PUBG kick lately, so I haven't logged in to the game on my Xbox in a while.  That being said, this whole Mercenaries thing there they're doing is kind of dumb, I think. 
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #190 on: 24 August 2018, 07:49:15 »
I've been on a PUBG kick lately, so I haven't logged in to the game on my Xbox in a while.  That being said, this whole Mercenaries thing there they're doing is kind of dumb, I think.

Mercenaries?

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #191 on: 24 August 2018, 08:05:24 »
I was playing for the battle of kurisk event, a "free" T34-S for completing 30 of 50 daily missions that just ended.  and because of this week thing in Europe there is a x5 xp for the first win of the day on each tank right now.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #192 on: 24 August 2018, 10:58:20 »
Mercenaries?

Their latest expansion: an alternate universe where WW2 dragged on for decades or something and society broke down into independent city-states with mercs in hybrid tanks protecting them from marauding raiders or something like that.

I think that Wargames.net just admitted that they'd run out of real-world tanks and did it so they could start introducing entire lines of fictional tanks.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #193 on: 24 August 2018, 15:19:51 »
Their latest expansion: an alternate universe where WW2 dragged on for decades or something and society broke down into independent city-states with mercs in hybrid tanks protecting them from marauding raiders or something like that.

I think that Wargames.net just admitted that they'd run out of real-world tanks and did it so they could start introducing entire lines of fictional tanks.

Wow. I have been playing and havent seen anything on that.

I know *why* they do it, but their system of advancing and modifying tanks bugs me like crazy.

Sometimes i really enjoy it and other times I am just getting ganked left right and centre and only progressing through my team winning when I'm dead.

When I can play with a platoon mate though? Way better.

I think the biggest PITA I have with WoT right now is the Italian line of insanely tough tanks. it's like they did zero research and just released a new line of tanks that was going to kick ass no matter what...of I just answered that for myself, didn't I?

I'm doing a lot of grinding right now to get to things like the KV-2.

A.E. Housman

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #194 on: 24 August 2018, 15:45:13 »
Mercenaries might be a console exclusive thing.  I don't know much about it since it was only introduced a few months ago.

The KV-2 is a hilariously bad tank to play.  Don't bother taking the 107mm with it- if you want that, just run the T-150, which is faster and has better armor.  The KV-2 should be rocking the 152mm all the way.  And never be alone with it: any time you fire and there's something left alive opposing you, you'll die before you reload if you don't have backup.  But if you ever get the chance to slip behind someone who doesn't know you're there, you can one-shot a tier VIII medium.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #195 on: 24 August 2018, 16:21:46 »
Mercenaries might be a console exclusive thing.  I don't know much about it since it was only introduced a few months ago.

The KV-2 is a hilariously bad tank to play.  Don't bother taking the 107mm with it- if you want that, just run the T-150, which is faster and has better armor.  The KV-2 should be rocking the 152mm all the way.  And never be alone with it: any time you fire and there's something left alive opposing you, you'll die before you reload if you don't have backup.  But if you ever get the chance to slip behind someone who doesn't know you're there, you can one-shot a tier VIII medium.
i was hoping to push on through to the IS series. which IRL were some of the better heavy tanks to come out of ww2. i'm beginning to think i should have focused on the germans or american instead of the russians..

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #196 on: 24 August 2018, 17:30:11 »
The IS is pretty lackluster as a Tier VII heavy- the Russian 122mm gun lacks penetration, accuracy, and RoF.  The high alpha damage doesn't mean much if you can't actually penetrate (or even hit) the target, but the IS-3 is quite powerful once upgraded.  It's also got a very low profile for a heavy tank.  My experience with Soviet tanks in general is that they tend to be good when fully upgraded by it can be a serious chore to reach that point, unlike American or German tanks which tend to be more balanced in their upgrade paths.  Of course, at Tier VII and VIII, you've got the added problem of facing Tier IX and X tanks and tank destroyers on a regular basis and against something like a T95 or E75 you're generally completely screwed regardless of how upgraded you are: I can remember times when I got my KV-3 behind an E75 only to watch my shots bounce off the back of its hull.  It, of course, had no trouble penetrating my armor from any angle.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #197 on: 25 August 2018, 07:08:55 »
Unless you're driving a Black Prince, I don't want to hear it.  I was so excited that it was an option when I first started playing but I loved the thought of a British King Tiger rocking and rolling after their generally mediocre vehicles throughout eithe early and mid war.

And then I got it, and boy was I disappointed. I knew it would be slow, but wow does it lumber.  The 17 pdr was a great gun in real life, but in the game playing up against Tier VIIIs and IXs, it does garbage damage *if* you can penetrate and the Prince's armor, even when angled properly, is no sure defense against 105mm and 122mm guns that you're facing.

I moved on to the Caernarvon and Conqueror and will get a Chieftain some day.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #198 on: 25 August 2018, 10:00:30 »
The Black Prince was the first Tier VII vehicle I got in that game, and yeah, it's completely useless, as is the Challenger TD.  The 17 pounder is pathetically underpowered.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #199 on: 25 August 2018, 10:44:54 »
Its kind of like the us t32 its a fairly solid t8 heavy, but compared to the current t8 tanks ket alone the t 9 and 10s its gun sucks

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #200 on: 25 August 2018, 12:15:20 »
The T32 at least has solid armor in every direction with a reasonably angled front and decent mobility. The Black Prince has absolutely nothing going for it.

DisGruntled_kbd

• Corporal
« Reply #201 on: 26 August 2018, 10:47:12 »
I don't play as much as I used to, but the armor on the Black Prince can be a supper troll if angled properly.  I know it's one of the few T7 I'd fire gold at even in my tier 9s.  Being slow in the pursuit phase is a pain for sure though and a well angled opponent is rough for the 17pdr (why I probably fired more gold then normal here as well).

The T32 is still a beast if you can fight from hull down positions.  I greatly enjoyed the tank and have a pretty good win rate on it despite it being one of my first branches.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #202 on: 26 August 2018, 14:42:27 »

When I play, i watch the other team for KV-2s and T-29s and avoid the hell out of them. No matter what I roll with the KV-2s can and will eat me alive at will and for all the talk of what junk hull around the T-29 has; I normally find them hull-down and pointing that big, thick turret at me and taking me apart.

So far though my experience has been a litany of this or that tank being my nightmare at X-Tier and then I get one and it's a death trap. I know I'm pretty bad at games, but seriously; wow. Examples being the M24, T-67 and Hetzer. Man I hated those. Then I got them and now I have new reasons to hate them. They sure don't do as well for me as they do *to* me.

Sounds like my issue is between the chair and the keyboard, no?

A.E. Housman

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #203 on: 26 August 2018, 15:54:27 »
It could be because of wallet warriors who spend tons of real money on the game: it's difficult to compete with them.

As far as the KV-2 goes, it can be quite terrifying, but I did solo one with a Churchill I once: he came at me alone and since his first shot didn't kill me, my fast-firing gun destroyed him before he could reload.

Also, a year or so ago, the T29 got a boost to its hull armor.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #204 on: 13 November 2018, 18:33:24 »
Having a lot of really good games lately, anyone else?

A.E. Housman

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #205 on: 13 November 2018, 19:12:53 »
yes and no, I am working on the railway heist, and the on track for the M48 patton and doing well for me, because of the X5 weekend I am currently at 2.5 of the 10 25k xp missions and I am 1t 8/10 of the care alpha package battle mission towards the garage slot and 600k silver.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #206 on: 13 November 2018, 21:30:30 »
finally got my KV-1.. definitely much better combatant. nice being able to tank a few hits. quite a bit slower than the lower teir tanks but not too bad. pretty much got no silver left though so gonna take some time to rebuild that.
« Last Edit: 13 November 2018, 21:37:33 by glitterboy2098 »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #207 on: 13 November 2018, 21:31:35 »
The KV-1 is definitely the best Tier V heavy.  I think the T1 is the only real competition.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #208 on: 14 November 2018, 20:12:49 »
I enjoy my KV-1 a great deal; it has serious legs and the 122mm taught me how to derp properly.

I am still chewing through the StuG IV missions; the only ones I have finished as the heavy tanks ones. I think I may never get LT-13. Most spotting I ever got was 250ish and I never do close to 1000 damage in a light. I need to be in a heavy to do that.

A.E. Housman

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #209 on: 14 November 2018, 21:07:59 »
the kv1 is good, although the german tier 5 has the advantage of having access to a tier 7 gun

Register