Author Topic: World of Tanks: anyone still playing?  (Read 23238 times)

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
Re: World of Tanks: anyone still playing?
« Reply #30 on: 20 March 2016, 01:51:35 »
Holy crud, the Matilda is officially my favorite tank now.

Just played a capture the base mission on the South Coast map.  I got up against something like five tanks and TDs simultaneously and survived.  Even killed three of them myself.

Total awards for the mission:
Spray and Prey- damage 3 or more enemies and destroy 1 or more enemies
Thinning the Herd- destroy two or more enemies
High Caliber- inflict the most damage per battle
Shellproof- have total damage blocked by your armor exceed the HP of your vehicle and survive the battle
Sharpshooter- hit an enemy vehicle 10 times in a row without missing
Fighter- destroy four enemies in one battle
Fire for Effect- cause more damage to enemy vehicles than the HP total of your vehicle
Bruiser- damage enemy vehicles' modules or injure their crew members at least five times in a battle
Cool-Headed- survive at least 10 rickochets and non-penetrating hits in a row from enemy fire

Four enemies destroyed, 1225 damage dealt, 25(!) penetrating shots, 13 assists, 719 damage blocked.

Matilda is one of my favorite tanks. Not very fast, but it can withstand a lot of fire. Just had a really good match in mine. Nice, accurate gun.

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
« Reply #31 on: 20 March 2016, 03:36:22 »
Speaking of the Matilda, had a pretty good match tonight.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 20 March 2016, 09:34:19 »
the matilda I kind of have a love/hate relationship with.
if I am high tier or ~1 down in the match I mostly love it if I am low tier I hate it.
yes its got a lot of good armor (from the front) but in order to have the brutally good gun you have to have the turret with "ears" which is a lot more vulnerable, the gun is a high speed mid cal gun so it is VERY accurate... and pens fairly well but it does low damage... unless you use gold ammo.

if you are up against tier 6 tanks (which CAN happen) you will not do much and typically get 1-2 shotted.
I often joke and ask if anyone will trade me a rabid squirrel to replace my 2 hamsters as my power plant in the matilda (its pretty slow even maxxed out on upgrades. )

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #33 on: 20 March 2016, 11:21:49 »
Yeah, I hate meeting the Matilda's ancient enemy- going uphill.

Had a hilarious incident last night with a T40 tank destroyer.  I'd just purchased the 105mm howitzer variant for it, went on a match, and there was a little Chaffee hiding behind a hill with a "haha, can't target me now" attitude.  I dropped a shot right on the commander's hatch.  Wasn't a kill, but I think both the crew and the player needed the brown pants after that.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #34 on: 20 March 2016, 14:40:18 »
Yeah, I hate meeting the Matilda's ancient enemy- going uphill.

Had a hilarious incident last night with a T40 tank destroyer.  I'd just purchased the 105mm howitzer variant for it, went on a match, and there was a little Chaffee hiding behind a hill with a "haha, can't target me now" attitude.  I dropped a shot right on the commander's hatch.  Wasn't a kill, but I think both the crew and the player needed the brown pants after that.
Heh, it's not easy to use the high arc on howitzers in gun scope mode without going manual aiming. In 3rd person view though it was much easier.  >.>
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #35 on: 20 March 2016, 14:45:35 »
I'm pretty sure, based off of the videos I've seen on YouTube, that the PS4 version of the game has a dramatically simplified targeting.  But I'd zoomed in and aimed right at the only exposed piece of his tank.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #36 on: 20 March 2016, 14:58:37 »
link to a replay from this week: "Rolling E25 Style"
http://wotreplays.com/site/2555604#erlenberg-deathmaster98-e_25

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #37 on: 21 March 2016, 12:26:59 »
Interesting.  The PS4 version of the game is missing a few vehicles that the PC version has, like the M18 and the Mauss.

And everything French, Chinese, Japanese, or Czechoslovakian aside from a couple of premium Japanese tanks.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #38 on: 21 March 2016, 13:08:48 »
Interesting.  The PS4 version of the game is missing a few vehicles that the PC version has, like the M18 and the Mauss.

And everything French, Chinese, Japanese, or Czechoslovakian aside from a couple of premium Japanese tanks.

Same thing they did with Xbox they've slowly introduced other factions maps and tanks instead of it all at once
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #39 on: 21 March 2016, 14:03:00 »
Well, I feel sorry for PC players since there's an awesome map that's apparently a PS4 exclusive called Skorpion Pass (according to a couple of guys I was just in a match with, anyway).  North Africa ridge, great map to play on if you love TDs.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 21 March 2016, 14:43:59 »
Cool Xbox got Pacific island which is s nice map for fast tanks or TDs plenty sniper perches and runs
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #41 on: 21 March 2016, 15:57:52 »
Okay, worst experience so far:  I'm in that British Tier III Vickers medium tank, something comes around a corner, and I realize that it's a freaking Tiger.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #42 on: 21 March 2016, 19:29:23 »
Okay, worst experience so far:  I'm in that British Tier III Vickers medium tank, something comes around a corner, and I realize that it's a freaking Tiger.
Huh? You shouldn't be able to see a Tiger I or P unless you were in a platoon with someone in a higher tier tank. Or you ran into one of those "proto" or "pre" german heavy/medium tanks that resemble Tiger with its blocky body.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #43 on: 21 March 2016, 19:43:53 »
Nope, the HUD identified it as Tier VII and Tiger.  Had other people on the team who were higher tier than I was, but that's one of the things that I don't like is that occasionally the server sticks you into matches where you're completely outmatched by some opponents.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #44 on: 21 March 2016, 20:27:31 »
I've never played WOT, but as an obscure armour enthusiast, i find it fascinating! Anybody know if I can go somewhere to get the great pics they use for the individual tanks? On Youtube when i watch the replays (very entertaining) they always have these wall-paper-like CGI renderings of these really neat obscure tanks. Love to DL those somehow.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
« Reply #45 on: 21 March 2016, 23:35:32 »
Used to, don't anymore.  I've shifted to WarThunder.  I'm also on Star Trek Online as one of the leaders of House of Kier KDF side.  And a recent member of Acheage and member of Hundred Black Coffins.
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #46 on: 22 March 2016, 00:05:57 »
*nod*

There are things I like about WarThunder over World of Tanks but things I think World of Tanks also has over WarThunder at the same time.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #47 on: 22 March 2016, 00:16:37 »
How fast are the weapon reload times in Warthunder?  For the really big guns like the KV-2 and Jagdtiger?

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #48 on: 22 March 2016, 11:00:32 »
I haven't gotten that far up either tank tree but from what I can tell at the lower levels both games have pretty similar rates of fire over all with both doing a fairly reasonable job of at least being close enough to historical rates of fire, at least from what I can find.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #49 on: 22 March 2016, 11:32:54 »
How fast are the weapon reload times in Warthunder?  For the really big guns like the KV-2 and Jagdtiger?
You can test drive the premium vehicles in the garage. Lemme tell ya, that "Super Heavy Tank" T28 TD is dang SLOW.
KV-2 Mod 1939 has a reload time of 43.3 seconds. The stock shell is "anti concrete" shell, so basically a bunker-busting HE shell. She has 3 other shell types available to unlock.
« Last Edit: 22 March 2016, 11:35:19 by HobbesHurlbut »

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
« Reply #50 on: 22 March 2016, 22:06:48 »
You can test drive the premium vehicles in the garage. Lemme tell ya, that "Super Heavy Tank" T28 TD is dang SLOW.
KV-2 Mod 1939 has a reload time of 43.3 seconds. The stock shell is "anti concrete" shell, so basically a bunker-busting HE shell. She has 3 other shell types available to unlock.
Also KV-2 does great for indirect fire and if you know how to use the gun you can kill anything on the ground or in the air.  I've killed a Maus by dropping a round onto the engine deck from above and setting it afire, I even shot down a B-17 once.  Done right you can also skip the AC round into the belly of tanks you would otherwise not have a chance to kill and manage a kill off that.

As to historical accuracy, yeah you don't play either WoT or War Thunder for historical accuracy.  But it's still quite fun.
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #51 on: 23 March 2016, 10:05:03 »
Also KV-2 does great for indirect fire and if you know how to use the gun you can kill anything on the ground or in the air.  I've killed a Maus by dropping a round onto the engine deck from above and setting it afire, I even shot down a B-17 once.  Done right you can also skip the AC round into the belly of tanks you would otherwise not have a chance to kill and manage a kill off that.

As to historical accuracy, yeah you don't play either WoT or War Thunder for historical accuracy.  But it's still quite fun.
WT is more historical accurate and it has a simulator mode. The only unrealistic thing, nevermind that it's still a game, is that your crew doesn't bail out when they know their tank have catch on fire or have been holed like in real life.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #52 on: 24 March 2016, 04:07:41 »
Saw some new tanks in action tonight.

Saw the Black Prince inaction.

Ugh, I like the Wolverine, but even with the fully upgraded gun it's just so helpless against Jumbos, KV-2s, Churchill VIIs, or basically anything else with serious armor.

Finally unlocked the Churchill I tonight- my first heavy tank.  And then the servers were taken down for the new upgrade before I could test it out.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 24 March 2016, 06:22:01 »
I liked the Wolverine when I used it just keep it hull down only let the turret show and you're fine.  Also fitting it with a camo net and hiding makes an excellent sniper with that turret (moving turret doesn't take you out of camo).  The Hellcat has even less armour but goes like stink and is so maneuverable

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #54 on: 24 March 2016, 09:33:42 »
I liked the Wolverine when I used it just keep it hull down only let the turret show and you're fine.  Also fitting it with a camo net and hiding makes an excellent sniper with that turret (moving turret doesn't take you out of camo).  The Hellcat has even less armour but goes like stink and is so maneuverable
The US turreted TD line is about mobility (the hull mounted/fixed gun TDs are about "assault"). So you use your mobility to get where you can do the most for the team and to bug out when it get bad. That's the best feature about the line; the ability to respond via mobility.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #55 on: 24 March 2016, 11:34:42 »
The problem is that when facing a bunch of heavily armored Tier VIs and VIIs, the M10's role drops to "spotter", and it really doesn't have the speed or maneuverability to handle that.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #56 on: 24 March 2016, 13:38:21 »
The problem is that when facing a bunch of heavily armored Tier VIs and VIIs, the M10's role drops to "spotter", and it really doesn't have the speed or maneuverability to handle that.
I have three options in that situation; Use the premium AT round, track them, or...just be somewhere else and just annoy them anyway.

Wikkid

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #57 on: 24 March 2016, 13:57:54 »
I'm assuming he's talking about xbox live, but I might be mistaken.

I'm more into ships then tanks at the moment, but still dabble in both. Mainly when there's a good mission going.  Currently logging in this month for the  daily 5 free gold at the very least. ;)

Clan WWPD
kbd_disgruntled

Yes I'm talking about X-box live or whatever the subscription is called.
Be Pure. Be Vigilant. Behave!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #58 on: 24 March 2016, 14:12:19 »
Well, the update last night changed the particle effects- now when you're cruising over the desert in your KV-1, you kick up a huge cloud of dust.

Still trying out the Churchill I, but man, the starting gun is so freaking inadequate against most enemies of equal size.  Did get a hilarious scenario on Pacific Island (which has just been added to the PS4's map selection) when, after lagging behind my team I encountered a Panzer VI A.  Guess he thought he'd make an end run around the main battle and try to occupy our base or something, but he wasn't expecting the slow-ass Churchill to be in his path.  Had to shoot him a bunch of times but there wasn't anything he could actually do against my armor given that he had the little pop-gun.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #59 on: 24 March 2016, 14:14:52 »

In those cases I normally go for the base or for their arty