Author Topic: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition  (Read 163483 times)

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
Re: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition
« Reply #600 on: 05 November 2018, 11:45:12 »
All according to keikaku it seems.....
Who? ???
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #601 on: 05 November 2018, 11:54:37 »
Plan.  Keikaku is the phonetic spelling of the Japanese word for plan.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #603 on: 05 November 2018, 12:00:34 »
Plan.  Keikaku is the phonetic spelling of the Japanese word for plan.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #604 on: 08 November 2018, 16:11:33 »
Looks like Pacific Rim franchise is getting a anime net-series.  The Verge reported that Netflix is fronting the new show, which suppose to be about teenager and his kid sister piloting a abandoned Jaeger to look for their parents. I think this must be for kids, since its bit less believable to me kids would manage salvage one these titans, given how much they showed maintenance people are swarming them to keep them going.

It will look interesting how it turns out.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #605 on: 08 November 2018, 17:23:12 »
Netflix is also making a Altered Carbon anime to supplement their series.

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #606 on: 10 November 2018, 13:55:12 »
Looks like Pacific Rim franchise is getting a anime net-series.  The Verge reported that Netflix is fronting the new show, which suppose to be about teenager and his kid sister piloting a abandoned Jaeger to look for their parents. I think this must be for kids, since its bit less believable to me kids would manage salvage one these titans, given how much they showed maintenance people are swarming them to keep them going.

It will look interesting how it turns out.

I'd much rather see animated adventures of some of the fights from prior to the events of the first movie but OK.
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #607 on: 10 November 2018, 15:02:53 »
Goblin Slayer anime has cut about volume's worth of manga material, including ruin exploration and battle against Goblin Lord. Disappointing.

[edit]
Goblin Slayer seems to be one of Crunchyroll's most popular series this season. Could be the most popular if not for regional restrictions. Obviously all the noise made about it has paid off.
« Last Edit: 10 November 2018, 16:17:34 by Matti »
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #608 on: 10 November 2018, 15:28:18 »
I prefer techy, space opera animes, so here are my favs so far:

Robotech and Gundam- classics
Knights of Sidonia- I really like the attention to real space physics, like gravity and acceleration. but it ended on an anti-climax on season 2. Where's season 3?
Code Gease- excellent plot, but I did fast forward through the teen high school stuff
Aldnoah.zero- mechs on rollerskates, but still good lol
Legend of the Galactic Heroes- I tried hard to like this, but it got too repetitive and downright pretentious.

« Last Edit: 10 November 2018, 15:36:34 by Triptych »

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #609 on: 10 November 2018, 15:50:01 »
Code Gease
Code Geass

More space opera (and mecha) you could like:
Armored Trooper VOTOMS
More realistic kind of mecha action.

Bodacious Space Pirates
High school girls in space with some real space physics.

Crest of the Stars and Banner of the Stars
3 seasons of epic space opera.

Outlaw Star
Spaceships doing physical combat!!? That aside, it has similarities to Cowboy Bebop and Firefly.'

08th MS Team and Iron Blooded Orphans
BattleTech vibes are strong in these Gundam shows.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #610 on: 11 November 2018, 12:16:49 »
My space opera stuff is my main favorites of the genre.

• Space Battleship Yamato / Star Blazers (Old and New 2199/2202)
  • Super Dimensional Fortress Macross (Robotech) & Macross series associated [except Delta]
  • Crusher Joe - (Mercenaries for hire in space, more like galactic rangers good stuff!)
  • Armored Trooper VOTOMS - (Mini-Mecha on Skates thing, more realistic than most shows except certain aspects)
  • Gundam
  • Galactic Legends of Heroes (Classic series)
  • Majestic Prince (This mech space opera with more comedic flavor to it. Its Good)
  • Crest of the Stars and Banner of the Stars
  • Outlaw Star
  • Argevollen (not quite space opera, future military scifi conflict. It was good, but little odd at end and hero mech was bit OP.
  • Fangs of the Sun Dougram - If you wonder where have of the former unseens came from, this is IT. Old school mech military conflict.
  • Heavy Object - More recent series, perhaps goofy at times, but it's really good at it's core if you ignore the Macgyver-like main character.
  • Knights of Sidonia
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #611 on: 12 November 2018, 12:08:19 »
So is Crusher Joe or Fang up anywhere?

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #612 on: 12 November 2018, 12:54:10 »
Break Blade is a fantasy mecha anime with a real Battletech feel. I didn't see it recommended earlier, but the production quality was amazing, & it's short enough to be easily digestible!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #613 on: 12 November 2018, 13:26:47 »
Didn't see it mentioned yet, but the second "season" of Castlevenia got posted on Netflix last month.  Pretty well done, I thought.  I'm wondering how season 3 is going to play out.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #614 on: 12 November 2018, 15:35:24 »
I got all of Crusher Joe from Amazon.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #615 on: 12 November 2018, 15:39:51 »
There appears to be a new anime out that Mecha based. It's called the Price of Smiles.
ANN reported this, its odd story. The trailer for it full of action, though i think it maybe more than just that.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #616 on: 12 November 2018, 15:42:33 »
Anime Planet has Fang for 75 US bucks for entire series on DVD.

I'm not sure about digital only stuff. I've not seen any.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #617 on: 13 November 2018, 10:02:47 »
Hmm.. Would be nice to watch Fang first before blowing 75 on it. Shame anime planet doesn't have an agreement with amazon like it does with hulu. Wouldn't mind watching Crusher Joe there even if it did have commercials. Oh well, could just sign my parents up for a prime trial lol. As much as my mom spends on presents for the grandkids it would be worth it I think.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #618 on: 13 November 2018, 11:45:25 »
So, I'm not an animation snob. If it has a good story, then I can usually watch it.

But Fang of the Sun Dougram has bad animation even for its time. Like, take the worst clunkiest animation from the original Macross, such as when the shrunk Zentradi are bumbling around in their pod trying to infiltrate the SDF-1 or the knife fight between Milla and Max, and stretch it out over 70 episodes.

The story is there. I WANT to like it. But it's trying to be a mecha anime on a shojo anime budget.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #619 on: 13 November 2018, 15:30:08 »
Well I can watch almost any anime. I sat through the entire series Nana even though it drags on. The story is good but it is rather dull taking 40-50 episodes if I recall. I did enjoy it, but not so much I would watch it a second or third time. Or even watch both sub and dub (if it has both).

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #620 on: 14 November 2018, 10:46:45 »
Yesterday I had an inspiration (of sorts). So here is my crappy attempt at poetry inspired by Goblin Slayer. Imagine bard from episode #2 singing it. May contain spoilers.
In dungeons beneath of Water Town. Goblins gather, waiting for the moment to strike.
Night falls on town, goblins come out. They murder and rape, citizens are in fear.
Soldiers fighting demons don't come for help. Man from the frontier answer Sword Maiden's call.
With fury of vengeance, man storms goblins' nest. Numbered in hundreds, the goblins die.
Rip and tear until it is done. But then appears a terrible foe.
Height of two men, it is Champion of goblins. Full of rage, Champion charges man.
Two strong clash and the halls are trembling. Ceiling crash down, is this the end?
Goblins under the rubble, man still stands. Battered and bruised, man returns in triumph.
In Temple of Law, Sword Maiden welcomes the man. Sword Maiden calls man her equal and friend.
If goblins are troubling, call for this man. For man of the frontier is Goblin Slayer!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #621 on: 14 November 2018, 13:17:26 »
Fang is dated for sure, animation wise. However it was just right blend of stuff to make me love it.  I've watched the series subbed, it enjoyable.

I get real kick partially due to me being Battletech player,since you see so much what their doing that blends with Battletech behaves in some cases.  Some of things they do are bit odd, but overall i enjoyed it.

One my favorite scenes was near end of the series. Where the Dougram (aka the Shadow Hawk) Death From Above a Scorpion.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #622 on: 16 November 2018, 16:39:45 »
https://www.cnet.com/news/castlevanias-adi-shankar-developing-new-devil-may-cry-series/

"In an interview with IGN Friday, Shankar declared that he had acquired the rights "so the jabronis in Hollywood don't **** this one up too.""
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #623 on: 17 November 2018, 12:10:07 »
Catching up on Overlord.  I really like the premise, and am intrigued to see where it goes.  In the middle of season 2 on Hulu.

Question: Is the new She-Ra on Netflix any good?
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #624 on: 17 November 2018, 12:18:33 »
https://www.cnet.com/news/castlevanias-adi-shankar-developing-new-devil-may-cry-series/

"In an interview with IGN Friday, Shankar declared that he had acquired the rights "so the jabronis in Hollywood don't **** this one up too.""

;D Can't argue with that line of reasoning! I've got a list of other game properties he can look at, if he gets some time!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #625 on: 17 November 2018, 12:21:39 »
Question: Is the new She-Ra on Netflix any good?

I've only seen three episodes so far.  I'm not finding it as compelling as Votron: Legendary Defender but it seems pretty good.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #626 on: 17 November 2018, 16:05:13 »
I've only seen three episodes so far.  I'm not finding it as compelling as Voltron: Legendary Defender but it seems pretty good.

Voltron is a hard act to follow. I'm at the end of Season 2 and where it started occasionally weak, the story and action have really picked up.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #627 on: 17 November 2018, 19:49:43 »
Wait until you get to Season 5 on Voltron.

Watched episode 4 of She-Ra this morning.  I like the fact that the hippy princess joins the rebellion so she can hit people.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #628 on: 17 November 2018, 21:15:20 »
Goblin Slayer anime has cut about volume's worth of manga material, including ruin exploration and battle against Goblin Lord. Disappointing.

I'll bet you that the Farm sequence has not been cut, but that it will come at the end of the current water town arc.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #629 on: 17 November 2018, 21:22:10 »
Watching and very much enjoying:

-Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara

-Bunny girl senpai

-Goblin Slayer

-Golden Kamuy

I tried Index III but after two episodes I realized that, despite a total of 4 previous closely linked series in this universe that none of the characters had any growth at all.  :(
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.