Author Topic: Golden age of gaming  (Read 9573 times)

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
Re: Golden age of gaming
« Reply #60 on: 04 November 2018, 18:23:17 »
I've been thinking about this topic for a few days, and the more I've thought, the more I've come to realise that my personal golden ages of gaming (1984-1991, 1995-2000) are less about what games were released in any era and more about how much free time and money I had to put into my gaming. 2002-2012 was a dead decade for me because whatever games were released, for the most part I was too busy with work, marriage, & children to play the games I already had, let alone upgrade my PC and buy newer games.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #61 on: 05 November 2018, 11:46:47 »
I feel you :-\
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #62 on: 05 November 2018, 12:09:10 »
Interesting perspective . . . and I will admit, if I could get a machine playing some of my old games I might not be as interested in new stuff- the problem comes with finding a new game to replace a old game that will not run on my machine any longer.  Like Star Wars Rebellion . . .

I also wonder if MMOs led to a bit of decline in the release of narrative games.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #63 on: 05 November 2018, 12:13:53 »
They did.

About a decade ago.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #64 on: 05 November 2018, 12:19:46 »
Interesting perspective . . . and I will admit, if I could get a machine playing some of my old games I might not be as interested in new stuff- the problem comes with finding a new game to replace a old game that will not run on my machine any longer.  Like Star Wars Rebellion . . .
Just buy an old computer with old Windows (98 Second Edition recommended). Or buy modified version from Good Old Games for €5.19, where they claim it working on new Windows.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #65 on: 05 November 2018, 12:31:04 »
I would think you'd be able to find suitable x86 emulation just like DOS-BOX did for older titles...

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #66 on: 05 November 2018, 12:44:31 »
They did.

About a decade ago.

I know, but for instance I do not associate EVE with the disappearance of good space fighter sims- though I blame that on the joystick changes.

I know about work around, I think I still have stuff that can operate '98 somewhere.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #67 on: 05 November 2018, 13:23:58 »

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #68 on: 05 November 2018, 13:32:08 »
Does it emulate Win98 now?

I don't know about DOS BOX, but I assume there's some manner of software for it.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #69 on: 05 November 2018, 14:00:16 »
I think that requires some sort of virtual machine. Not sure what DOS Box's graphics processor is capable of. Virtual Box appears to be limited to the NT kernel, but I could be wrong.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #70 on: 05 November 2018, 15:06:03 »

Register