Author Topic: Doctor Who: Where did I leave the Tardis?  (Read 53850 times)

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Doctor Who: Where did I leave the Tardis?
« on: 08 October 2018, 13:19:11 »
I thought that I would start this one off with the cycle diagram:

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Doctor Who: Where did I leave the Tardis?
« Reply #1 on: 08 October 2018, 13:24:09 »
So far, not bad. 
  Whenever there is a new Doctor, my first feeling is that I hate the new guy.  After a few episodes, I get used to him, and when he announces that he is leaving, I go into mourning.  When Matt Smith was replaced by Peter Capaldi, Peter had an uphill battle with the personality differences that they wrote into the new incarnation.  I like Peter as a person, and even as an actor, but he had a tough act to follow.
  I don't feel the withdrawal symptoms of the new Doctor and I'm fine with her companions, but the script was a little weak.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #2 on: 08 October 2018, 14:08:34 »
I enjoyed it.  Mind, it took me a while(no theme, and almost felt disoriented plot wise, but then again, the Doctor did just regenerate, so now I have a feeling what she goes through when she regenerates), but I enjoyed it.  Especially how she made her sonic out of spoons.
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 08 October 2018, 14:13:19 »
I'll need to sit down and really watch it thorough, but I did like her start.
I feel though the overall tone was subdued. A lot like 9's intro. And it was the 'oops' moment at the end that really sealed it. This could be interesting.
I do like the interconnections between the Companions this go around. That should make things interesting. All I hope for is that the search for the Tardis isn't the over-reaching 'arc' this season. Seeing the Doctor and her (still gonna have to get used to that...) Companions grow this season is the best I hope for.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #4 on: 08 October 2018, 17:08:15 »
I loved this intro...Jodie hit all the right buttons for me right away...looking forward to the rest of her stay...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 08 October 2018, 18:07:32 »
I'm so sorry.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #6 on: 09 October 2018, 02:17:57 »
I'm so sorry.

;D  I love that!  :) I've got to steal that. :)

(What?  It beats most of the ones I have.  Like this one. :) )
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #7 on: 09 October 2018, 03:52:45 »
I liked the first episode with her. Not as sarcastic as Doctor 12, but still had some good moments. I don't know about the "friends", seem like they have a lot of issues and a lot of differences.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #8 on: 09 October 2018, 12:48:09 »
i found the story to be a bit meh: it was a bit too long, and Tim Shaw was a bit of a mess as a villain.  But I'm liking the update to the visuals and the music, and Whittaker and the new companions were great.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #9 on: 09 October 2018, 13:41:15 »
pretty much the same for me. acting was fine, plot and pacing were kind of a wreck. i'm a casual fan so i don't have any grand expectations. whittaker seems to have the right stuff for the role. I'm hoping for a sweet spot between "Dinosaurs! On a Spaceship!" and "Always take a banana to a party, Rose."

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #10 on: 09 October 2018, 14:02:51 »
Going to (hopefully) to night watch the first episode On Demand. Hoping its as good as advertised.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #11 on: 09 October 2018, 17:03:33 »
I am cautiously optimistic about the new season.  I tend to agree Whitaker is a fine actress that seems more than able to handle the character.  The writing is a little meh in the first episode.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #12 on: 09 October 2018, 20:14:48 »
Well 1st episode was good start.  Whitaker seems fine to me, though she seems to almost channel little David Tennant in her but maybe it's the accident.  I didn't bother to watch the after party, i just want get on with the story. 

The displacement jump thing at end was twist...but more worried that the entire season going be the hunt for the Tardis.   Not fan of that sort plot, but it's is what it is.  xp
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #13 on: 10 October 2018, 00:45:05 »

The displacement jump thing at end was twist...but more worried that the entire season going be the hunt for the Tardis.   Not fan of that sort plot, but it's is what it is.  xp

Wait...it just hit me....DID THEY JUST REFERENCE DOUGLAS ADAMS AND THE HITCHIKER'S GUIDE??????? :O

(I mean, he did write a few episodes of Doctor Who, including the recently "completed" Shada.)
Five rounds, rapid!

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #14 on: 10 October 2018, 07:02:17 »
Wait...it just hit me....DID THEY JUST REFERENCE DOUGLAS ADAMS AND THE HITCHIKER'S GUIDE??????? :O

(I mean, he did write a few episodes of Doctor Who, including the recently "completed" Shada.)

Wouldn't be the first time.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #15 on: 12 October 2018, 02:10:35 »
So far, not bad. 
  Whenever there is a new Doctor, my first feeling is that I hate the new guy.  After a few episodes, I get used to him, and when he announces that he is leaving, I go into mourning.  When Matt Smith was replaced by Peter Capaldi, Peter had an uphill battle with the personality differences that they wrote into the new incarnation.  I like Peter as a person, and even as an actor, but he had a tough act to follow.

My first Doctor was Tom Baker as a kid, and seeing Eccleston in the revival was odd and took a little adjustment. Same with Tenant. By the time Matt Smith came around, I refused to watch his episodes for months, and really had a hard time getting to like him.

Capaldi? Capaldi I took to immediately.

I don't feel the withdrawal symptoms of the new Doctor and I'm fine with her companions, but the script was a little weak.

I didn't mind the writing, but otherwise agree. I immediately took to Whittaker, just like I did with Capaldi.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #16 on: 15 October 2018, 02:24:56 »
Did the Doctor just say that she liked the way the TARDIS was redecorated? :o For that matter, did the ships that picked them up have an improbability drive on them?  :o ???
Five rounds, rapid!

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #17 on: 15 October 2018, 18:02:10 »
Did the Doctor just say that she liked the way the TARDIS was redecorated? :o For that matter, did the ships that picked them up have an improbability drive on them?  :o ???

It definitely was...different...but I may like it too...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #18 on: 15 October 2018, 19:17:26 »
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #19 on: 15 October 2018, 19:42:17 »
Only complaint is it could be a bit better lit, other than that not bad.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #20 on: 15 October 2018, 19:48:37 »
I actually like the lighting. Now the crystals, they'll have to grow on me.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #21 on: 19 October 2018, 22:14:30 »
I actually like the lighting. Now the crystals, they'll have to grow on me.

Isn't that how crystals generally form?  ^-^

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Reading your guys's reactions is a good thing. I may give the show a shot when it comes to reruns.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 19 October 2018, 23:01:47 »
I watched the first 2 episodes today on demand, and I realize she is her own doctor but in some ways she does remind me of Tom baker,
with that said when she found and got inside the TARDIS and started playing with the controls I thought the spinning little call box control thing was cool.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #23 on: 24 October 2018, 23:12:39 »
Hi all, first post to the new-era new thread!

Well, that last one was certainly powerful and different for a Doctor Who episode, wasn't it?  But, as with "The Zygon Invasion/Inversion", discussion of it would probably violate several forum rules, particularly seeing as it involved a very uncomfortable period of U.S. history and there wasn't much sugar-coating of the negativity here.

Having said that, I do think this would have worked better as a pure historical, rather than have to introduce a pretty impotent sci-fi villain.  (From just how far in the future did Krasko come???).  The only mildly interesting thing about him was that he prefers to try and change history by "nudges", rather than grand actions, so depending on just where and when he ended up, there's still a lot of room for him to do quite a bit of timeline damage--only now it would be motivated out of pure spite, rather than racism.

What are the chances this guy ends up having something to do with the Stenza, who seem to be getting set up as one of this new era's major villain species?  They like to engage in targeted hunts of other species, will pay to engineer WMDs, and are into ethnic cleansing...is there a pattern emerging here?

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #24 on: 25 October 2018, 09:50:57 »
I must agree that the bad guy way IMO lame here. If you know what a TARDIS is, you also should know what your adversary (even if you don't know the Doctor) can do. I would have kept to the shadows more instead of confronting the opposing team like he did.

The episode itself was pretty good with the companions understanding that History (with a H) is made from both greatness and darkness. A very powerfull episode.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #25 on: 25 October 2018, 23:31:37 »
I must agree that the bad guy way IMO lame here. If you know what a TARDIS is, you also should know what your adversary (even if you don't know the Doctor) can do. I would have kept to the shadows more instead of confronting the opposing team like he did.

Kind of hard when the opposing team has somebody who can actively seek you out at every turn.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #26 on: 27 October 2018, 19:10:48 »
Catching up
Thing hideous. It reminds me of Organic version of the Tardis that Early Smith / David Tennet(?) was using.  I guess they wanted do something different.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #27 on: 28 October 2018, 20:00:17 »
SPIDERS! Why did it have to be SPIDERS?!?!?!?!?!?

xp

Ruger

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #28 on: 29 October 2018, 02:13:39 »
SPIDERS! Why did it have to be SPIDERS?!?!?!?!?!?

xp

Ruger

Ikr?   :o  I don't dig spiders.  Those things scared the hell out of me!  :o
Five rounds, rapid!

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #29 on: 29 October 2018, 13:05:26 »
Something else I forgot about:  It's been a long time since we saw the psychic paper.  :)
Five rounds, rapid!