Author Topic: Question for aviation engineers  (Read 685 times)

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
Question for aviation engineers
« on: 12 November 2018, 09:51:41 »
Recently I've seen a lot of calls for the USAF to restart F-22 production. One of the bigger arguments against it is apparently that the equipment used by the F-22 (processors, avionics, engines, etc.) are no longer in production.

However, when I look at the the next aircraft in production, the F-35, it seems that maybe those older out of production systems in the F-22 could be replaced by the F-35 equipment. For example the F135 engine is derived from the F119 used in the F-22.

Lockheed Martin has made it clear that they want to focus on the F-35, so restarting Raptor production isn't going to happen, but as a thought experiment, what would happen if new-build F-22s were equipped with F135 engines, F-35 avionics/computers, and EOTS/DAS? I mean to the airframe itself: Weight imbalances? New control schemes needed? Updates to software (obviously)?

I'm trying to wrap my head around the challenges of production.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
Re: Question for aviation engineers
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2018, 12:30:18 »

Well those are reliable components, however the adaptions that need to made to the F-22 airframe/software could cause some performance losses (stealth, efficiency, etc).
Also the end result will have to go through testing all over again.  xp
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #2 on: 12 November 2018, 18:37:25 »
Caveat upfront, I am an airfield (civil) engineer not an aviation engineer by trade but I have worked in an aerospace project office, so have a general understanding their airworthiness processes but will happily be corrected by an aviation engineer.

F-35 effectively uses ruggedised, liquid-cooled Pentium processors, so the upgrade would be to 15 year old technology  :-\

The entire F-22B "Super" Raptor with the upgraded engines and avionics (possibly latest generation of stealth coatings) would need to be certified for airworthiness (same as what happened with the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet).

Probably the biggest challenges is that while all the tooling has been mothballed, the corporate knowledge on how to actually redesign/upgrade/assemble a Raptor has retired/resigned/been forgotten which means that it has to be re-discovered/re-learnt. So by the time you do that you may as well be building a new aircraft with the latest technology (and lessons learnt from F-35), the upgraded F-22B "Super" Raptor's relationship to the F-22 Raptor will probably resemble the relationship between the Super Hornet and the Classic Hornet.
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #3 on: 12 November 2018, 18:55:33 »
You'd need to redesign the engine housings and the rear of the airframe at the very least - the F-135 is 43cm longer and 3-11cm smaller in diameter, as well as 100kg lighter.  The turbine system is also different, 1-stage high pressure and 2-stage low on the F135 and 1 & 1 on the F-119.  With the different shape requires different inlet dimensions and shaping to get subsonic airflow, plus it's very likely that the various fuel, coolant, sensor, and whatnot other connections are all going to be completely different as well.  That's just the engines...now, I imagine the avionics (being a digital glass cockpit) could be easier to swap out, though the only reason to do that is the EOTS system, which necessitates poking holes in the skin of the jet and wiring those up, and so on...

Honestly an F-22F could be done, but it really would be just like the difference between a Hornet and Super Hornet.  A lot of parts commonality (landing gear, most of the cockpit, maybe most of the wings and all the tail/elevators offhand, but you'd have some definite changes to the airframe - and the F-22's stealth requirement means balancing that out a lot more carefully than the Super Bug does.  It's not doable and it's frankly not a bad idea - good god, how many other aircraft have been rebuilt for modernization like that?  Looking at you, B-52...  It's just gonna be complex, especially because of the shape requirements for stealth capability.

Now, if you're gonna go that far, well, there's that Northrop/Grumman prototype still out there...anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!